Jack31081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081

So I got a bit bored at work today, and inspired by jamescho84's use of real t-shirt photos to display his designs, I decided to put together a collection of all 16 colors allowed in the shirt.woot derby.

**EDIT** - 08/29: Now on version 2 (I've added girls shirts too )
**EDIT** - 08/30: Now on version 3 (girls shirt more closely matches American Apparel's #2001 model)
**EDIT** - 09/12: Now on version 4 (more realistic heather grey template)
**EDIT** - 10/15: Now on version 5 ("true" black template; was displaying as dark brown for some people)
**EDIT** - 11/07: Now on version 6 (colors updated to match woot's new template)

Version 6 sees an important update, that of matching woot's updated template colors, which more realistically match what the shirt will look like in real life. While 6 colors remain the same (lemon, creme, red, cranberry, white and black), the other 10 colors have gotten either updates to brightness, hue and saturation. Of note, asphalt got a reduction in saturation, brown got a hue shift towards green, and all three greens got brightness adjustments.

Here is a preview of the updated colors:

The full PSD is 600x600, the max size allowed for the design composition, and contains 32 layers, one for each color in girls and guys. It's 11.5MB, and is currently being hosted at a free hosting service, link below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3yd332u29xi

I figured it'd be useful to get an idea of what you're design would actually look like on a t-shirt, instead of just a vectored illustration of a t-shirt. Plus, now the ladies can get some love too, since there is no illustrated template for the girls shirts. Just remember, these are reasonably accurate facsimiles of what the colors would look like on real shirts, but they are facsimiles. If you base your color palette on these shirts, there are no guarantees it'll look exactly the same if printed.

If someone would like to host it in a more permanent location, that'd be awesome.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Jack31081 wrote:So I got a bit bored at work today, and inspired by jamescho84's use of real t-shirt photos to display his designs, I decided to put together a collection of all 16 colors allowed in the shirt.woot derby.

All I did was find one good high-res photo of a t-shirt, then adjust the color to match (as closely as I could) the colors provided in the ArtistTemplate PDF provided on the derby submission page.

Mr. Jack,
How about two more complete sets:
1. One with Fried Twinkies
2. One for the 3X crowd to show them what they're missing

Jack31081

no1 wrote:Mr. Jack,

I gave half a thought to #1, but does woot do girl's shirts? I hadn't seen that they do. If they do, I can whip up a girl-tee version this evening.

As for #2, just go into photoshop and increase the width of the image by about 50%...that should do the trick.

*EDIT* - just walked through the ordering process for one of the shirts, and there are indeed options for women's shirts. I assume the women's tee is the standard shape, with shorter sleeves and a bit more taper in the torso?

jzlosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzlosman
Jack31081 wrote:
All I did was find one good high-res photo of a t-shirt, then adjust the color to match (as closely as I could) the colors provided in the ArtistTemplate PDF provided on the derby submission page. Here's a preview:
awesome.

You sir are a great man. You won $200 smackaroonies today but did you just kick back and relax, hell no, you created a very helpful file for us designers while on company time....that'a boy.

Pensketch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pensketch

Excellent! Thanks very much.

heather8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heather8

Thanks bunches!

Pixel8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pixel8
no1 wrote:Mr. Jack,

The 3X crowd may be missing out on "Fried Twinkies" but they sure aren't missing out on fried twinkies.

If I can get someone to soil themselves I will able to sleep tonight.

Jack31081

Added girls shirts to the template!

Jack31081

my other concern is, and if a staffer or anyone who's purchased a girl's shirt can chime in, that'd be great:

Is the style of girl's shirt I chose close to what woot sells? It'd be a bit disingenuous to show comps using a style of shirt that woot doesn't sell.

Jack31081

Hmmm...I was hunting around the American Apparel website, and it appears that, if woot uses the 2001 model for both guys and girls, then my template, as-is, is not representative of woot's shirts, at least on the girl's side of things.

I'll try to hunt down a closer match before the new derby starts at noon today.

Jack31081

found a better match for the girl's shirt. version 3 posted above.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Jack31081 wrote:Hmmm...I was hunting around the American Apparel website, and it appears that, if woot uses the 2001 model for both guys and girls, then my template, as-is, is not representative of woot's shirts, at least on the girl's side of things.

I'll try to hunt down a closer match before the new derby starts at noon today.

It's a different model. I saw a post by Dave Bug within the last couple of days that gave the model number, but can't find it again; at the time I didn't think it'd ever come up again.

edit: doh! It was Johnq118's post that listed a different model- Dave never answered.

Jack31081

ok, well even if it is the 2102, i think the shirt i found is pretty close. the 2102 is a bit more form fitting, with slightly shorter sleeves than the 2001, but the one i found is pretty much in between the 2102 and 2001, so I figure i'm good either way

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

Hey Jack,

Love the template... Just so you know, it's actually sized at 560 X 600 which is why your Amity Shark and my Calvinball have all that artifacting! Oops...

Check out my blog:Here!

JCBarry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCBarry

Really nice job Jack. Really adds that extra pop to the design preview. Thanks dude!

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Thanks Jack! That was very nice of you to offer it to the whole class.

JCBarry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCBarry

Looks great thanks a million...to pay you back, I voted for your shirts.
That sounds about even. ;)

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Jack

We do use the 2102 shirts for women sizes S-L. This, I think will be a good resource for you all so thanks to Jack31081. A couple of words of caution.

When picking colors, keep in mind that the screen color and the shirt color may vary slightly. American Apparel has posted Pantone colors for every color they offer, but they've also been quick to point out that these are only references . The process of dying shirts is not the same as printing ink on coated stock (what the PMS system was originally designed for) and therefore, there can be some variance in the final colors.

I'd encourage anyone who is particular about placement and image size to look closely at the product pages for the 2001 and 2102. This will give you accurate chest measurements for both styles so you can settle on an image size that will work across sizes and styles. In general, we've been creating separate screens for Men's Small through the Women's sizes that are about 75% smaller than the image for the Men's Medium through 2x.

Thanks again Jack and if there are other specs people think we should post, send them my way in a PM.

Jack31081

Version 4 uploaded, with new heather grey template. It'll give a more realistic depiction of what the shirt will look like, plus customers won't think they're getting a solid grey shirt

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Jack31081 wrote:Version 4 uploaded, with new heather grey template. It'll give a more realistic depiction of what the shirt will look like, plus customers won't think they're getting a solid grey shirt

You, sir, rock.

Guess I have no excuse but to have a fancy 600 pixel view now, eh?

bassman998

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassman998

Jack: I sent a PM to you.

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

Just wanted to say thank you for this.

Pyrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyrin

Just occurred to me I never posted a thank you for this. So: It's been quite useful, thanks! :D

Jack31081

I've just uploaded version 5 of the template. A bunch of people have been complaining about the black template appearing brown, so I've decided to stray from the color code provided by woot and American Apparel and just make the black template really, really black.

Like, so black light itself can't even escape.

barthesis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barthesis

Awesome, so helpful! Thanks Jack!

Jack31081

Version 6 has officially been uploaded, and includes color updates to a majority of the templates.

enjoy

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

You're my new hero.

1) Your survival tracking guide was my very first woot purchase EVER.

2) This template is just what I needed.

RobGlenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobGlenn
Jack31081 wrote:Version 6 has officially been uploaded, and includes color updates to a majority of the templates.

enjoy

Thanks Jack, this is super helpful and a great service to the derby.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

bumping this back up so new folks can find it.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

SkekTek

Bump.

klawrence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Jack31081 wrote:So I got a bit bored at work today, and inspired by jamescho84's use of real t-shirt photos to display his designs, I decided to put together a collection of all 16 colors allowed in the shirt.woot derby.

Thanks for your work on this. It's really helpful.

MikeHoncho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeHoncho

Thanks for making this file available... you woot regulars seem very helpful to newbies like me.

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya

Bumping this so the newbies can find it.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
bassman998 wrote:Jack: I sent a PM to you.

Nice axe.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

bump de bump

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
AttilaTheMom wrote:bump de bump

Is this all the shirt colors? Is it not missing cream?

Well there is always next year....

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Amach06 wrote:Is this all the shirt colors? Is it not missing cream?

Mine has cream.

Amach06

Iambusyeating wrote:Mine has cream.

I just need to learn to read better. that wuz teh funneh.

Amach06

More people need to use baby blue. I dont ever see that color used.

SkekTek

Okay Jack, are you going to redo the templates based on the new new AI/PSD? I'm using the old ones since I don't think woot cares if the comps are slightly off color.