+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Derby #15: Time Travel Souvenirs

When somebody finally figures out the whole time-travel thing and offers mass tourism to different eras, there'll be a lot of money to be made from the accoutrements of tourism. And anybody who's ever taken a trip anywhere can attest that t-shirts are the most omnipresent such accoutrement. Why not get a jump now on creating the time-travel souvenirs of tomorrow - and yesterday? Create a souvenir t-shirt from the past or future. And keep in mind that in the future, you'll probably be able to go to space. But we're imposing two restrictions on you this week: one, no designs involving the phrase "and all I got was this lousy" or something similar; and two, stay far, far away from copyrighted images, concepts, etc. Otherwise, past and future are your playground.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Just in time!

This is going to be a wild one- could go anywhere or when.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Josephus wrote:Just in time!

This is going to be a wild one- could go anywhere or when.

Oh boy! I'm sure we're going to see some crazy entries! Have fun!

Jack31081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081

Great theme for my return to the derby. Hopefully the brain juices will flow and I'll be busy tonight

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

"and two, stay far, far away from copyrighted images, concepts, etc."

Does that mean no video game/movie/TV/etc references? It sounds like it to me

vishneda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
AdderXYU wrote:"and two, stay far, far away from copyrighted images, concepts, etc."

Does that mean no video game/movie/TV/etc references? It sounds like it to me

No, just a Star Wars ref.

Jack31081

I hope people understand, that for accuracy's sake, we'll likely be seeing a number of white shirts this week.

Souvenir shirts are almost ALWAYS white.

Wobblytoddles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wobblytoddles

I really like this one. I was expecting space someday but thought it would be its own derby.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Wobblytoddles wrote:I really like this one. I was expecting space someday but thought it would be its own derby.

I don't think they'd do 'space' as a theme so soon after 'night'. In a month or two maybe.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

AttilaTheMom

Anyone taking bets on the number of dr. who shirts we'll see?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
vishneda wrote:No, just a Star Wars ref.

"I blew up the Death Star and all I got was a lousy lightsaber. Oh, and this T-shirt."

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
no1 wrote:"I blew up the Death Star and all I got was a lousy lightsaber. Oh, and this T-shirt."

"I blew up the death star and all I got to do was make out with my sister."

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
AttilaTheMom wrote:Anyone taking bets on the number of dr. who shirts we'll see?

not since they already mentioned avoiding copyrights.

>insert funny quote here<

wala_dito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wala_dito

Copyright...Agh. This would have been a perfect time for a MST3k shirt.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Jack31081 wrote:I hope people understand, that for accuracy's sake, we'll likely be seeing a number of white shirts this week.

Except in the future, where they are exclusively offered in Banana Yellow.

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
geekfactor12 wrote:Except in the future, where they are exclusively offered in Banana Yellow.

And in the very distant past, where they were only offered in burlap.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

Are national monuments considered "copyrighted images, concepts, etc."?

Probably lots of them might look different in the future. You know, after the grand canyon is all filled in with sediment and the great pyramids are a popular beach front resort...

Jack31081

briannyc128 wrote:And in the very distant past, where they were only offered in burlap.

Hmm...Does American Apparel offer burlap in the 2001 model?

Jack31081

kenney9226 wrote:Are national monuments considered "copyrighted images, concepts, etc."?

Probably lots of them might look different in the future. You know, after the grand canyon is all filled in with sediment and the great pyramids are a popular beach front resort...

I would venture a guess and say that depictions of national monuments are NOT protected, and even so, if you did something like what you're saying, it might be considered 'parody'.

But don't take my word for it...

/1000 posts

zikzak

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak

I guess the proof that time travel is impossible is that we never see time tourists stumbling around with maps. If it was EVER invented at any time in the future...they would be here.

no1

zikzak wrote:I guess the proof that time travel is impossible is that we never see time tourists stumbling around with maps. If it was EVER invented at any time in the future...they would be here.

I see people stumbling around with maps in tourist traps all the time. How do we know that some of them aren't from the future?

no1

Jack31081 wrote:I would venture a guess and say that depictions of national monuments are NOT protected, and even so, if you did something like what you're saying, it might be considered 'parody'.

I think someone else's photo of a nat'l monument might be protected, but if you have your own photo, you'd have the right to use it.

Jack31081 wrote:But don't take my word for it...

ditto

Jack31081 wrote:/1000 posts

Congratulations, Mr. Jack.

AttilaTheMom

kenney9226 wrote:Are national monuments considered "copyrighted images, concepts, etc."?

mount puckermore? <shudder>

Jack31081

zikzak wrote:I guess the proof that time travel is impossible is that we never see time tourists stumbling around with maps. If it was EVER invented at any time in the future...they would be here.

Except for the theory that time travel will only be possible as far back as the machine existed.

AlexIAm

I have two ideas already... could be a good week!

klswoot

[quote postid="1677512" user="kenney9226"]Are national monuments considered "copyrighted images, concepts, etc."?

I wouldn't think so.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
geekfactor12 wrote:Except in the future, where they are exclusively offered in Banana Yellow.

I'm pretty sure in the future everything is chrome.

Jack31081

this is the point in the day when i think of a great idea and then fret for 22 hours that someone else had the same idea and is doing it better than me.

no1

Jack31081 wrote:this is the point in the day when i think of a great idea and then fret for 22 hours that someone else had the same idea and is doing it better than me.

Beats not having any ideas at all, Mr. Jack.

Sigh.

fosho4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fosho4

black holes are really hard to do in 6 or less colors.

haha

Jack31081

no1 wrote:Beats not having any ideas at all, Mr. Jack.

Sigh.

well, by "great", i mean it's great in my head. it could be a gigantic pile of poo.

And not having anything is better than having a pile of poo...at least in my book.

AlexIAm

fosho4 wrote:black holes are really hard to do in 6 or less colors.

haha

I see a blank black shirt in your future.

klswoot

Jack31081 wrote:this is the point in the day when i think of a great idea and then fret for 22 hours that someone else had the same idea and is doing it better than me.

haha! That's so true!

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Jack31081 wrote:I hope people understand, that for accuracy's sake, we'll likely be seeing a number of white shirts this week.

But in the future they may not be ;-)

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

Wish there was an "easy" way to tell if something is copyright'ed or not...

Not to give anything away but there is a certain 'Fleet' and some 'Stars' that I have a good idea for but, I'm thinking it's too close to that invisible boundary line of the woot reject hammer...

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Jack31081 wrote:well, by "great", i mean it's great in my head. it could be a gigantic pile of poo.

And not having anything is better than having a pile of poo...at least in my book.

A giant pile of poo might be a monument in the future

AlexIAm

cwarrington wrote:Wish there was an "easy" way to tell if something is copyright'ed or not...

Not to give anything away but there is a certain 'Fleet' and some 'Stars' that I have a good idea for but, I'm thinking it's too close to that invisible boundary line of the woot reject hammer...

Not that difficult really... almost anything directly referencing a tv show or movie... probably off limits. use of recognizable corporate logos... probably off limits. Variations on designs already on sale somewhere else... probably off limits. When in doubt about the third a quick google image search might help.

Then again... I don't control the bat.

Jack31081

AlexIAm wrote:Not that difficult really... almost anything directly referencing a tv show or movie... probably off limits. use of recognizable corporate logos... probably off limits. Variations on designs already on sale somewhere else... probably off limits. When in doubt about the third a quick google image search might help.

Then again... I don't control the bat.

I think woot's aim this week is to prevent a flurry of shirts based on Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, Back to the Future, Sliders, The Time Machine, etc. etc.

There are plenty of original ideas out there, both past and future, there's no need to go for the copyrighted stuff.

AlexIAm

Jack31081 wrote:I think woot's aim this week is to prevent a flurry of shirts based on Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, Back to the Future, Sliders, The Time Machine, etc. etc.

There are plenty of original ideas out there, both past and future, there's no need to go for the copyrighted stuff.

agreed.

emerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emerica

Can we use religious 'stuff'?

erll, i'm ogg yo trsf snf dlrrp