fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
klswoot wrote:I ended up buying one...but it takes forever to arrive via Smartpost. I should receive it sometime before Woot celebrates birthday #2.

Did you get a numbered sticker too?

I did. 1607/4100.

Not sure whether I should keep the sticker or not. Is it good for anything?

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
skibbereengirl wrote:I'm really confused. This is my first do-over. Wouldn't it make perfect marketing sense for Woot to include all the fourth place finishers, maybe the fifth and sixths, too, since they were obviously so popular in the first place? Wouldn't sales be through the roof from all those hungry Wooters who've been waiting for a chance at the near miss shirt they wanted so badly? Maybe there should be a derby just for near misses.

I expected to see a number of near misses here so that I could vote for them again but such was not the case - a real disappointment.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
fablefire wrote:I did. 1607/4100.

I'm kind of thinking that the sticker is relevant to the lucky folks at the woot party tonight. Maybe some kind of door prize? Nothing has actually been said...just a lot of speculation.

I honestly don't know....

fablefire

klswoot wrote:I'm kind of thinking that the sticker is relevant to the lucky folks at the woot party tonight. Maybe some kind of door prize? Nothing has actually been said...just a lot of speculation.

I honestly don't know....

Well I lost my spaghetti. =(. An on-site contest would've been way cooler.

EDIT: Nice filter there woot.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

I know it was two pages ago, but I was out all day...

Thank You, eHalcyon!!!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
fablefire wrote:I did. 1607/4100.

I like how it printed, too.

I got #664. I put the sticker in a sticker album I have in order to keep it out of nerdiness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

hattopic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hattopic
AdderXYU wrote:It would make PERFECT marketing sense. But you forgot two things:

*Woot doesn't make sense
*Wooters vote for carp

So by and large, skipping out on most 4th place designs skips out on a bit of carp. You guys love to go on about marketability and how woot is just about making money, but the fact is, when woot picks shirts on their own, based on their own criteria for merit, it doesn't always ring true with what wooters pick. And for that reason alone, I'm shocked so few wooters realize that woot agrees with what I've been screaming all along... you guys pick the worst shirts ever.

I've got to agree, the majority of the voters seem to pick out my least favorite designs 4 times out of 5. But as for skipping over 4th place designs, I wish they'd included that lighthouse shirt (Coming Home). That shirt was awesome.

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh
ChokingOutTheRadio wrote:I feel I should reiterate my point since noone took notice the first time and its left me all huffy. There are curently TWO BROWN SHIRTS in the fog and a CREME. How many times do people complain when a good design is on a color noone wants to wear. Yet here we have the golden opportunity to get our past favorites finally made and people are throwing their votes out willy nilly on ugly colored shirts. I know the designs are fine, but what's going to happen is once they are printed people will realize they don't to be walking around looking the same color of a tootsie roll or the wall they're leaning against. Lets get some variety...retract your votes if you have to. I'm personally pulling for the ATP shirt and its so disheartening to see it so far back of a bunch of hideous shades of brown.

Thanks! I'm personally pulling for it to win myself. I just thought the blues would stand out better on asphalt. Plus it would go with blue jeans, black jeans, khakis, white bikini bottoms, plastic wrap, goat legs from the waist down (provided the hair is white, black, gray or blue...brown legged satyr's need not apply).

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh
Wonderbunny wrote:I have a strong dislike for asphalt which the ATP shirt is on (Butterfly Effect was on asphalt and I loved that shirt - but didn't get it because the color would be awful for me). And although the idea and design are ok for the ATP shirt, it does not attract me at all. So I probably voted for a brown shirt in the fog and I did vote for the cream shirt the first time around. I like brown and cranberry. I'll buy an orange or yellow shirt before I buy asphalt. So I think that what one wooter likes is not always what another wooter likes and you learn to DEAL with it and move the on.

Awww c'mon. You could wear it to the biology department of your local university and find yourself a future sugar-momma/daddy.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
no1 wrote:At least you've been printed a few times, have many shirtderbystats badges to your credit, and made the last do-over. Some of us have nothing to show for our efforts.

yeah well said....keep on tellin them my brotherman. I'm swimmin up that same river.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
ChokingOutTheRadio wrote:I feel I should reiterate my point since noone took notice the first time and its left me all huffy. There are curently TWO BROWN SHIRTS in the fog and a CREME. How many times do people complain when a good design is on a color noone wants to wear. Yet here we have the golden opportunity to get our past favorites finally made and people are throwing their votes out willy nilly on ugly colored shirts. I know the designs are fine, but what's going to happen is once they are printed people will realize they don't to be walking around looking the same color of a tootsie roll or the wall they're leaning against. Lets get some variety...retract your votes if you have to. I'm personally pulling for the ATP shirt and its so disheartening to see it so far back of a bunch of hideous shades of brown.

Welcome to woot, COTR. Almost every week, 2 shirts that are similar in some way get into the fog, and sometimes get sold as well. Most people don't like creme, but many will make an exception for a design they like. Many will vote strictly on the design and will not look at the shirt color.

My recommendation to you is to add ATP to your signature so more people will see it and hopefully vote for it. I also recommend not bashing people for what they have voted for: it usually causes the opposite effect from what you want on this side. Stick with advocating a shirt for good reasons and remember you attract more flies with vinegar than honey.

And don't forget to vote for my favorites - they are all on great color shirts.

klswoot

fablefire wrote:Well I lost my spaghetti. =(. An on-site contest would've been way cooler.

EDIT: Nice filter there woot.

Hey Fable! I sent you a PM.

klswoot

Question: Anyone finding that they like a design better the second time around?

(I've seen a few that I liked when I first saw them, but they seem less appealing when taken out of their original derby.) It's funny how you vote relative to the others.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:Awww c'mon. You could wear it to the biology department of your local university and find yourself a future sugar-momma/daddy.

hehe. Yeah, except my department - geology - would think it was odd I was sporting a cell shirt instead of a dinosaur shirt.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
klswoot wrote:Question: Anyone finding that they like a design better the second time around?

(I've seen a few that I liked when I first saw them, but they seem less appealing when taken out of their original derby.) It's funny how you vote relative to the others.

I haven't been around for many of these designs but I've seen a few I liked in the derbies I have been here for. Sadly, they don't have the same appeal surrounded by other shirts that I am enjoying more.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
klswoot wrote:Artulo- I just realized that they selected 7 of your past designs. Impressive! The tiger and Tuna fish are probably my favorites that they selected from your woot 'portfolio'.

Heh, thanks My favorites from the ones they picked are the cryptography one and wild animals of canada. I'm also really partial to pixalien love but don't know if I could get away with wearing it without a few really odd looks.

The tuna was one of my earliest designs here (and it shows, imo). Also it's the only one I did completely in Photoshop, before I taught myself illustrator.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
klswoot wrote:Question: Anyone finding that they like a design better the second time around?

I like tgentry's Attack of the Summer Blockbusters! more this time around, I think.

theshizzler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theshizzler

Jeez...what happened to Scientific Revolution? I've been waiting weeks for the chance to vote for it again.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=14426

boni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boni
eHalcyon wrote:

If someone out there has lots of free time:

I'd love to see a list of all 168 designs in this derby ranked by their initial number of votes. I think it would be interesting to see how each designs fares out of the context of the derby and to see if a design lives up to its first showing.

Don't have a lot of free time... but this didn't take long :-)
http://www.maysstuff.com/shirts.html
Lists shirt, artist, and original derby as well as it's place, votes, and submission date from that derby - because low votes might just mean it was submitted very late!
Sorted by number of original votes.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
boni wrote:Don't have a lot of free time... but this didn't take long :-)
Lists shirt, artist, and original derby as well as it's place, votes, and submission date from that derby - because low votes might just mean it was submitted very late!

It's not sortable by column?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

You rock pretty hard. If it were me, I'm sure it would have taken much longer and not included all that extra info.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

boni

bluchez wrote:It's not sortable by column?

Unfortunately - no -no support on that server. Did include a link at the bottom to an excel file for those who would like to manipulate the data and don't want to have to copy and paste. :-)

eHalcyon wrote:You rock pretty hard. If it were me, I'm sure it would have taken much longer and not included all that extra info.

Thanks! I've been working on a database for just such number crunching... just a little query. :-)

fablefire

klswoot wrote:Hey Fable! I sent you a PM.

Back at ya.

dj2deep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dj2deep

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=18538

i wanna see this shirt back up there and many ppl would agree

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69

Wow, that's very cool boni. I don't suppose you'd like to share something similar showing derby winners? It'd be interesting to see how the number of votes needed to win has gone up over time and how the derby theme might affect that number as well. Had to ask, sorry! No worries if it's too much!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
redghia69 wrote:Wow, that's very cool boni. I don't suppose you'd like to share something similar showing derby winners? It'd be interesting to see how the number of votes needed to win has gone up over time and how the derby theme might affect that number as well. Had to ask, sorry! No worries if it's too much!

I think a more important factor is how many good entries there are.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

shutts67

quality posts: 17 Private Messages shutts67

OK i know this is a stupid question, but I seem to have recently become woot-challenged...
When does voting open and where do I vote?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

boni

redghia69 wrote:Wow, that's very cool boni. I don't suppose you'd like to share something similar showing derby winners? It'd be interesting to see how the number of votes needed to win has gone up over time and how the derby theme might affect that number as well. Had to ask, sorry! No worries if it's too much!

http://www.maysstuff.com/derby2.htm
Not too much... and had to do it, cause I think you're going to be surprised at the numbers. How many votes it takes to win really hasn't changed that much overall. Sometimes in individual derbies there are clear winners that run away with the vote, but the average number of votes required to place in a derby has been around 600 for the life of the derby. Anyhow, enjoy!
btw... your entry is looking good! Could be adding your data soon!

boni

shutts67 wrote:OK i know this is a stupid question, but I seem to have recently become woot-challenged...
When does voting open and where do I vote?

Friday at noon...
and here...
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
boni wrote:http://www.maysstuff.com/derby2.htm
Not too much... and had to do it, cause I think you're going to be surprised at the numbers. How many votes it takes to win really hasn't changed that much overall. Sometimes in individual derbies there are clear winners that run away with the vote, but the average number of votes required to place in a derby has been around 600 for the life of the derby. Anyhow, enjoy!
btw... your entry is looking good! Could be adding your data soon!

Thanks boni, that’s amazing. I’m most surprised by how jagged the number of votes graph -- crazy jagged for 1st place (as you say, sometimes a design will just run away with the vote) but also really all over the place for 3rd. Trend lines over graphs of 1st or 3rd place votes do seem to indicate an increase on average, but it really depends on the derby.

I was also really surprised to see how many votes were possible in the first months of the derby -- 955 votes for the win in derby 7 -- discodancing/Cool Breeze! I first started paying attention around derby 16 or 17 which was the beginning of something of a lull I guess. It wasn’t until the Water derby (#31) that voting started to pick up again.

It’s interesting that the last do-over derby winner finished with 508 votes, and 3rd printed with 444 votes. We’re nearing 400 votes now, and it’s only Sunday night!

My entry? Well, I’m hopeful, but it’s still early -- it’s going to need a lot more votes!

I’ll have more fun with that spreadsheet, but not tonight....
Thanks again!

mjc613

Boni - just adding my kudos to you for putting that data together in a very readable form.

parsoje

quality posts: 3 Private Messages parsoje
fablefire wrote:It depends. I think that we'll know what shirts are going to make it by Sat or Sun. Sometimes there's a shift when the weekend voters come on, after work.

EDIT: And WHY no NEVERLAND! D:

AHHHHH... Off to threadless then.

Please post here if you take it to Threadless. I REALLY want Neverland, and just came to the derby to vote for it. VERY disappointed that it is not here!!!

Neverland
Neverland
Neverland
Neverland

(a la banging fists on tables and chanting.......)

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo

Thanks Boni ! That kind of rocks.

I have to say I'm really surprised that there are rejected shirts in this derby, as well as a star wars shirt. It just shows me how inconsistent the "rules" are.

boni

redghia69 - nice to know I'm not the only one who has fun with spreadsheets :-) The last do over had 25 more entries than this one... could be part of the difference?
mjc613 - i love kudos! hehe... glad to be of service!
Seattlejo - happy to help... and there are no rules in the do over! If I remember correctly - one was rejected for being off topic... and one for the woot reference. Two things they have been pretty consistent about rejecting. But the do over is kinda like the dailies... they are woot and they can do what they want! llo
Gotta give 'em credit for paying that much attention to the rejects... yes?

vintagesales87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vintagesales87

geezz..is there anyone else who wants just about every freakin shirt in this derby? I've been laughing my ass of for like the last 10 min. im especially fond of breakfast Revolutionary, kittybean, the cowgirl riding the rocket and the thriller shirt. hilarious.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
vintagesales87 wrote:geezz..is there anyone else who wants just about every freakin shirt in this derby? I've been laughing my ass of for like the last 10 min. im especially fond of breakfast Revolutionary, kittybean, the cowgirl riding the rocket and the thriller shirt. hilarious.

Far more wants this derby, than most others prior; for sure.
But that's how it should be =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Pensketch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pensketch

Not sure if I should post this here or not. If this is the wrong place then feel free to delete the post, but the design got its start in derby #4 so maybe it's okay.

My "Zombie Day at the Mall" design from the Map Derby has been printed at SplitReason.com. I know a few of the Wooters from days gone by were interested in it, so... there it is.

mjc613

Pensketch wrote:Not sure if I should post this here or not. If this is the wrong place then feel free to delete the post, but the design got its start in derby #4 so maybe it's okay.

My "Zombie Day at the Mall" design from the Map Derby has been printed at SplitReason.com. I know a few of the Wooters from days gone by were interested in it, so... there it is.

Be sure to send thatrobert at bestlosers.com a note, so he can post it on his website.

PatMcNJ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PatMcNJ

I wish WOOT would just print the top 7 this time of the do-over derby. They are certainly good enough, better than many of the daily entries.

Congrats to all the artists in the top 3. I want "oo, Shiney".

MrMcNoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrMcNoot

Where is 4 dollars a gallon?!? That is possibly my favorite shirtwoot ever, and you guys didn't even bring it back. What gives?