Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

March has strutted lion-like onto the stage, but today's the day seven unlucky shirt designs go out like a collective lamb. Yes, with thoughts of spring's renewal in our heads, we must clear the unsold undergrowth so that new t-shirts may blossom. We call it the Day of Reckoning and here's how it looks this week:

Survivors (position last week/weeks on chart)

Casualties (position last week/weeks on chart)

Bystanders (not eligible for Reckoning until next week)

Turn and face the strain, because some ch-ch-ch-ch-changes have come to the chart. It starts with the one-two punch of How We Roll and You Have to Try This Guys and continues with The Convenient Tiny Chair and The Original Blue Hedgehog, top-10 debuts all. We're looking at a remarkably young chart now: none of the top 10 entries are older than seven weeks; 14 of the top 20 have been on the list for 10 weeks or less; and almost half of the top 20 (nine shirts) have only been around three weeks or less. Ironic, then, that this is the week when The Cake Is A Liar sets the record for Shirt.Woot longevity at 68 weeks. No sign that this cake is getting stale: it actually moved up a spot this week. Here's hoping at least one of the noobs can break that record someday. As for the Casualties, you've got until midnight to say goodbye.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Congrats to Cake and Choice. Too bad for Communist Dinosaurs .

I wonder if the off-center printing problems that a lot of Communist Dinosaurs experienced had anything to do with people not buying it?

tiernane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane

Woohoo Choice is saved! I was on the fence for a while, but finally bought a couple yesterday.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Commie Dinos lost by probably 1 sale. I checked at noon and she was still in 20th. And Choices only sold 3 more shirts in between that time.

Such a bummer for a newer shirt.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

I think an exception needs to be made to account for the extraneous shirt that's been getting all the free advertising, and let the top 21 survive.

It's ridiculous that the shirt not designed by Wil Wheaton is receiving loads of extra attention, and it's obviously working sales-wise for that particular shirt, while normal non-celebrity folks who actually draw and design their own work get no extra advertising and subsequently cut off.

tiernane

artulo wrote:I think an exception needs to be made to account for the extraneous shirt that's been getting all the free advertising, and let the top 21 survive.

It's ridiculous that the shirt not designed by Wil Wheaton is receiving loads of extra attention, and it's obviously working sales-wise for that particular shirt, while normal non-celebrity folks who actually draw and design their own work get no extra advertising and subsequently cut off.

agreed.

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
artulo wrote:I think an exception needs to be made to account for the extraneous shirt that's been getting all the free advertising, and let the top 21 survive.

Couldn't say it any better myself. This is stinks.

Edited: I think this should also be a quality post.

Edited: There is also a thread about the unfair influence of the ad on the sidebar, in case anyone is interested...

Edited: I deleted the extra "is"

Edited: I added the "is" back, peer pressure and all. Done now.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Agreed, agreed. I don't think that celebrity shirts belong on the reckoning list, or if they do there should be a "top 21" for awhile. That stinks. I'm sorry for the dinos, but I wont say that I'm unhappy that Choice is still around. I really thought that this was it. Yay and Boooo at the same time.

BootsBoots

kwilder wrote:This is stinks.

ahuhu! I couldn't have said THAT any better either. I'm going to start using that all the time. This is stinks!!

tiernane

... Did anyone else notice that they changed "posts" to "quality posts" weird...
edit: if you mouse over, it shows total posts
edit edit: Jason Toon's next post will be number 1337.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

well said, art. Another vote in complete agreement.

Not only is it unfair, it's really unfair!

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

As always, well said, art. I feel bad that commie dinosaurs is getting the axe already. If Wil's shirt existed outside the reckoning, it would still be around

kwilder

BootsBoots wrote:ahuhu! I couldn't have said THAT any better either. I'm going to start using that all the time. This is stinks!!

I had originally typed b.o.o.- urns, but the filter got in the way.

Either way, I hope me typing "this stinks" will give me a quality post, apparently I don't have any yet.

And congrats on hanging on for another week.

BootsBoots

kwilder wrote:I had originally typed b.o.o.- urns, but the filter got in the way.

Either way, I hope me typing "this stinks" will give me a quality post, apparently I don't have any yet.

And congrats on hanging on for another week.

I love "this is stinks." If that's not a quality post, I don't know what is.

kwilder

BootsBoots wrote:I love "this is stinks." If that's not a quality post, I don't know what is.

correction, I edited it to be "this stinks", I don't know why I typed the "is."

And clearly this is the most quality thing I have said on woot so far, way better than the hoards of "gmv."

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

+1

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

rglee129 wrote:+1

Ditto.

Think Woot will notice if enough people speak up?

(probably not....)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Yes. This, absolutely.

+ [However large a number is necessary to make a difference]

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

+1 for me too.

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

i must agree, this is stinks for the dinos.

but the rest of me is totally thrilled that half of the dynamic duo's pseudo designs are gone. looks like they MIGHT start to get rewarded for only GOOD designs instead of half-assed ones. (a girl can dream)

peppersagooddog

SailorButterfly wrote:Ditto.

Think Woot will notice if enough people speak up?

(probably not....)

they will notice, and continue to not care.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

If woot cared about fairness, they would have reckoned Broccoli immediately, like they did with Dirty Job.

Dig up a Judas Priest album with "Wil's" "Design," and we'll get some action. Until then, we'll get a great shirt falling off the chart by about one sale. And woot will not care. Because the ignorant lumps that inhabit this site don't buy the stuff that deserves the exposure, so why the hell would woot bother promoting it?

It's so easy to get angry when it effects something we love. We need to be angry all the time. Because woot doesn't have a shred of respect for the people who try to make it a better site. Keep congratulating derby winners who don't deserve it out of some bizarre "if you can't say something nice" compulsion. Keep holding your tongue when you know something is fishy but don't want to make waves. Keep flashing your thousand dollar grins for the sake of votes. Because seriously, woot doesn't care about a single one of us, because we're not plunking down cash on their blank-faced bestsellers. Somewhere down the line, any caring they had for quality went down the tubes with the sheer profit margins. Woot could easily scale back... they could easily crank the dials back to 2K for a first day sell out and be more judicious in the derby. They were making enough profit then to expand operations, they couldn't hurt to do the same again for the sake of quality. But that's not the American way. The American way is to make as much money off as many complete tools with as shoddy a product as possible. And we're all complacent in it. So when we ARE upset over something, it looks shallow. It looks like it's because it affects us. Be upset all the time. Because this isn't stinks. Woot is stinks.

AdderXYU

peppersagooddog wrote:i must agree, this is stinks for the dinos.

but the rest of me is totally thrilled that half of the dynamic duo's pseudo designs are gone. looks like they MIGHT start to get rewarded for only GOOD designs instead of half-assed ones. (a girl can dream)

Uh...

They just got rewarded for Sonic and That's What She Said.

They only get more half-assed

BootsBoots

AdderXYU wrote:Because this isn't stinks. Woot is stinks.

ahuhu! Yay!

peppersagooddog

yeah dont remind me. at least its one less than they had before. its a slow revolt. a very very slow one.

AdderXYU

peppersagooddog wrote:yeah dont remind me. at least its one less than they had before. its a slow revolt. a very very slow one.

I was revolted quick-like

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AdderXYU wrote:I was revolted quick-like

ahuhu
always gotta keep the waste paper bin nearby.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
AdderXYU wrote:I was revolted quick-like

Helps when you're revolting.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Shirts get reckoned because of a pattern of sales that has absolutely nothing to do with the artist, unless you have a large enough following of rabid fans, which can make a few purchases of difference for shirts at the bottom. In fact, I'll tell you that next week my Easy Optimism will be reckoned (along with Chou and Loss) so you can start cheering prematurely. :p

Also it's dumb to lump me together with Ramy for a variety of reasons, but most importantly that we have very different design senses. I would venture a guess that every single artist in the derby can tell our entries apart with ease.

AdderXYU

sekiyoku wrote:
Also it's dumb to lump me together with Ramy for a variety of reasons, but most importantly that we have very different design senses. I would venture a guess that every single artist in the derby can tell our entries apart with ease.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Also, I'm laughing

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

shocking, love machine never moved.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Although I agree that the free advertising is unfair and terrible, I don't see why it should be blamed for the loss of the 21st shirt. Even without the extra advertising, I think it's more than reasonable to say that Wil's shirt would have been up there anyway - perhaps not in the top spot, but probably the top ten at least. It's not like the advertising made a difference in what would be in the top 20 - just the ordering.

Of course, it may (and probably will) have an effect on the long term, especially if the ad stays up for much longer. But we're still in the short term right now.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n
AdderXYU wrote: Because the ignorant lumps that inhabit this site don't buy the stuff that deserves the exposure, so why the hell would woot bother promoting it?

Oh, all knowing AdderXYU, please tell us which shirts we "tools" should be buying...

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

peppersagooddog

AdderXYU wrote:lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Also, I'm laughing

i laughed so hard i nearly peed myself. that is the most ludricrous statement ever.
im sorry if you think im being mean, oh wonder twins, but you are one and the same in your designs here at woot. it matters not to me what you have done elsewhere, if there is any difference anywhere else i dont really care. here at woot, one must look at who the "artist" (sic) is between the two of you to know who made it. it IS however VERY evident by only looking at the thumb, that ONE of you made it. every.single.time.

magicalchuchutrain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages magicalchuchutrain

Wooohoo. Congratulations to Choice. I wouldn't be able to bare it if Choice got axed.
Communist Dino?? Really. You shouldn't be on the axing block... Its because of "That's how we roll" Which shouldn't be number one.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
eHalcyon wrote:Although I agree that the free advertising is unfair and terrible, I don't see why it should be blamed for the loss of the 21st shirt. Even without the extra advertising, I think it's more than reasonable to say that Wil's shirt would have been up there anyway - perhaps not in the top spot, but probably the top ten at least. It's not like the advertising made a difference in what would be in the top 20 - just the ordering.

Of course, it may (and probably will) have an effect on the long term, especially if the ad stays up for much longer. But we're still in the short term right now.

Actually, based on it's before the advertising began, it would have come in on the last at #2

And as an additional note, Communist Dinosaurs was significantly lower in sales than Choice recently, and was only hanging on based on its first week of sales- had it survived this week, it would have certainly been reckoned next week- Choice, on the other hand, has been selling well enough recently that it should move up fairly high on the list now (around 16 or 17 going into next week's reckoning), meaning that it'll get to survive for longer. While it may be a bummer for supporters of Communist Dinosaurs, I think it's only fair that Choice is the shirt that got to stay, since it has been selling significantly better for the past three weeks. (And congrats Boots for holding on for another week)

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
peppersagooddog wrote:i laughed so hard i nearly peed myself. that is the most ludricrous statement ever.
im sorry if you think im being mean, oh wonder twins, but you are one and the same in your designs here at woot. it matters not to me what you have done elsewhere, if there is any difference anywhere else i dont really care. here at woot, one must look at who the "artist" (sic) is between the two of you to know who made it. it IS however VERY evident by only looking at the thumb, that ONE of you made it. every.single.time.

I would venture a guess that every single artist in the derby can tell our entries apart with ease.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ramyb wrote:and was only hanging on based on its first week of sales

Eh? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that previous weeks don't affect the reckoning - it's on a week-by-week basis, isn't it?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
sekiyoku wrote:I would venture a guess that every single artist in the derby can tell our entries apart with ease.

I can't tell your entries apart.

It's not a judgement- I'm not an anime aficionado. If I were maybe I could tell. But I think within the context of Woot at least I am an artist, so...

(I don't really get why it matters.)

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
eHalcyon wrote:Eh? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that previous weeks don't affect the reckoning - it's on a week-by-week basis, isn't it?

If reckoning were on a week-by-week basis, the 4 shirts that would have been reckoned this week are dinosaurs, I just can't reach you, cabbage and loss- and nevermore would have come in around number 5 or so- I know my defrost shirt sold over 100 this week but didn't hold on, while the cabbage shirt sold around 40-50. The rankings (from what I understand) are based on the past 4 weeks, and for shirts that have been around for fewer than 4 weeks, it's scaled to the number of days that they've been around. So ultimately, although boots passed dinosaurs at the last minute, she actually outsold them by about 40 this week.