+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Whether it's a ritualistic spiritual practice, to win over potential mates, or because an outlaw is firing his revolver at our boots, dancing is an almost universal element of human culture. In every place and time except for that one town in Footloose, people have moved their bodies to rhythm. Capture the beauty and grace of the living form in motion, or crack visual jokes about the graceless twitches of the clumsy, and put it into t-shirt form. Belly to break, swing to slam, tango to techno: let the dance begin...

No text.

Karyuu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karyuu

Now -this- will be fun.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Awesome. Love dance, love dancing, hooray dance theme!

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel

oooo very fun!

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

I expect to see lots of abstract dances done by inanimate objects/animals/machines.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213

Oh, man... my wife is gonna be stoked. I sincerely hope for some inspired and skillfully crafted derby entries this week depicting grace and motion and music, if only for her sake because she's just starting to get excited about shirt.woot. I probably will get them (they'll get submitted), but they'll place anywhere from 4th to 400th in the Derby.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

achariam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages achariam
cobolisdead wrote:I expect to see lots of abstract dances done by inanimate objects/animals/machines.

I was thinking the same thing.

View my work.Read my notes. You should follow me on twitter here.

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
cobolisdead wrote:I expect to see lots of abstract dances done by inanimate objects/animals/machines.

Oh yes. There will be furry mammals. And robots. Don't act all surprised when they show up, just play it cool ^_^

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

dancing beetles. that's my initial plan.

kritterbush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kritterbush

Oh yay! This will be a very fun one! Expect multiple entries from me... I don't think I can stick to just one idea for this Derby, lol.

Should be an easy theme to follow too!

kritterbush

supersonic213 wrote:Oh yes. There will be furry mammals. And robots. Don't act all surprised when they show up, just play it cool ^_^

Someone needs to do a shirt with robots, furry mammals, humans, clouds, and a few other random objects...

We could go Shrek with this too...

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Aw, I hope there's a good DDR shirt.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
sekiyoku wrote:Aw, I hope there's a good DDR shirt.

Hey, Woot! How about banning game and cultural references like this- make it a theme about dance, not about who can get the most popular game reference snuck in as an alleged parody?
Right now, you're looking at 30 Mario dancing with Luigi and the princess entries, and all these DDR feetprints designs. gag.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
sekiyoku wrote:Aw, I hope there's a good DDR shirt.

I'm considering it. I just don't know how well known it is.

I kick ass at DDR btw. And yes I'm very arrogant about it.

Xenora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Xenora

Glowsticks, anyone?

Oh, and fable.... don't forget about your promise! ;)

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

If there are any repeat posts, blame my stupid computer!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Yes, I predict many many DDR and Carmel Dansen
shirts!!!
This is gonna be a tough week. There will be a lot of pre-designed garbage. I don't even know if it worth subbing...
Although, perhaps something truly unique is needed. Of course, when I put a lot of time into a peice it seems to go no where.

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
Xenora wrote:Glowsticks, anyone?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if that's still popular or not...

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

Xenora

sailormoontsu wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if that's still popular or not...

Well, the Rave/Electronica cult still exists... even if it is stronger on the net than the real world.

I've got a growing collection of underground trance tracks (mostly under the Anjunabeats/deep label). What's in your library? Techno? Jungle? Breaks/Breakbeat?

My woot! purchases: The Original Blue Hedgehog; To The Top in the Style of Da Vinci; Deforestation; The Owliminator; Yeti & Robot; Electronica (The holy grail of all shirts... THE SYNTH SHIRT! Wahoo! ^.^)
...and 1 Random. (I hope Woot! doesn't pull another Random Roulette on me for a long time; I need to hang on to my money!)

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

Dances with wolves parody?

sailormoontsu

Xenora wrote:Well, the Rave/Electronica cult still exists... even if it is stronger on the net than the real world.

I've got a growing collection of underground trance tracks (mostly under the Anjunabeats/deep label). What's in your library? Techno? Jungle? Breaks/Breakbeat?

I don't really have much, just some techno. But I love that one dance music channel on Sirius (might be called BGM? I can't remember).

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Josephus wrote:
Right now, you're looking at 30 Mario dancing with Luigi and the princess entries, and all these DDR feetprints designs. gag.

I don't think a design with random DDR footprints would win anyway. :p It would probably be rejected, in fact, for similar shirts exist.

@ infinityloop - As in triple-A Max 300 kickass or just double-A Healing Vision kickass? :O

Xenora

sailormoontsu wrote:I don't really have much, just some techno. But I love that one dance music channel on Sirius (might be called BGM? I can't remember).

Sirius? I dunno what that would be. The satelite radio my family subscribes to is XM. There's about five dance channels on there. My favorite is definitley the System (specializes in Trance, Breaks, and Progressive House). It stinks that it's only online now. T.T

xaon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xaon

uh oh this might be a hard one..

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick

Prepare yourselves...

I'm not doing it, but it'll be there.

Xenora

dankstick wrote:Prepare yourselves...

o.0
Oh, NO!!! Not the Hampster Dance!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
theinfinityloop wrote:I'm considering it. I just don't know how well known it is.

I kick ass at DDR btw. And yes I'm very arrogant about it.

I prefer Pump it Up to DDR. It's much more like real dancing. But that's even less well-known.

benjaminleebates

dankstick wrote:Prepare yourselves...

I had forgotten about hamster dance. That is awesome!

sailormoontsu

I expect to see several "square dances".

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
benjaminleebates wrote:Yes, I predict many many DDR and Carmel Dansen
shirts!!!

I doubt Caramelldansen would have enough universal appeal to get anywhere, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SailorButterfly

sailormoontsu wrote:I expect to see several "square dances".

Dancing Stars, too. XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

benjaminleebates

SailorButterfly wrote:I doubt Caramelldansen would have enough universal appeal to get anywhere, though.

true that, but it could be done kawaii enough to get votes on it's own.

kritterbush

Looks like most of the ideas on here so far are puns or pop culture references.

And here I was thinking we would see some tasteful artistic depictions of things performing together in various dances...

Though if we're doing a pop culture thing, I'd like to see at least one "Where the Hell is Matt?" shirt.

For those who don't know it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY

kritterbush

kritterbush wrote:Looks like most of the ideas on here so far are puns or pop culture references.

And here I was thinking we would see some tasteful artistic depictions of things performing together in various dances...

Though if we're doing a pop culture thing, I'd like to see at least one "Where the Hell is Matt?" shirt.

What am I talking about requesting it from y'all? I can do a shirt for that... Okay. Expect a "Where the Hell is Matt?" shirt from me, haha.

Xenora

If I ever do get around to doing a design, It will definitley involve a rave scene. (Without the drugs, of course. That would probably get it the Regection Hammer. Funny how mentioning raving doesn't necessarily evoke the denotation "I'm using drugs" these days around the youth. Besides, "Hugs, not drugs!" ^.^)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Interesting. I hope we get something abstract this derby. And not ripoffs of...

SailorButterfly

kritterbush wrote:Though if we're doing a pop culture thing, I'd like to see at least one "Where the Hell is Matt?" shirt.

I hadn't seen the 2008 version. These always make me smile.

Ha! He went to a Maid Cafe! XD

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:dancing beetles. that's my initial plan.

I'm doing one based on my wife's misheard lyrics from an old ABBA song... "Dancing Weed"

masterxuln

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masterxuln
Xenora wrote:Well, the Rave/Electronica cult still exists... even if it is stronger on the net than the real world.

Electronica is definitely my favorite style of music. I especially like the dance and melodic trance sub-genres. I've got a lot of friends who knew nothing about this style of music until I showed them some good tracks and now they're hooked on electronica.

Anyway, hopefully I can think you a t-shirt worthy design that will also appeal to the masses. We'll see...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

hi there! here's some links.

link to derby #96 (anticipated semi-permanent link)

link to current derby page

link to shirt.woot derby contest entry page, with links to templates

link to derek filley's unofficial derby rules thread

link to bluchez's unofficial easier-to-navigate shirt woot site

link to gimp.org, where the GIMP (a free bitmap editing program, analogous to Photoshop) can be downloaded

link to inkscape.org, where Inkscape (a free vector graphics editor, analogous to Illustrator) can be downloaded

finally, it's pretty much devoid of traffic these days, but here's the link to the derby #96 cyberpub, where off-topic discussion and ranting is possibly better tolerated than here.

benjaminleebates

Fav music, that would be good to get a person started.
Mine is; intellectual rap
chill or electronic, especially with audio from movies thrown in.
German rap/techno
Ministry of sound plays awesome music.

Would a dansing jesus get rejected?