rennrenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rennrenn

For a girl who's 5"8, 'normal' weight...is Medium the preferred option? Damn US labels...

mscrankypants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscrankypants
rennrenn wrote:For a girl who's 5"8, 'normal' weight...is Medium the preferred option? Damn US labels...

I'm not sure how you like your shirts to fit, so take this with a grain of salt. I am 5'8", very athletic, 130lbs and I wear a WXL.
It seems very fitted (not tight) to me.
Hope this helps.

Mesoinvisible

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mesoinvisible
rennrenn wrote:For a girl who's 5"8, 'normal' weight...is Medium the preferred option? Damn US labels...

I was just about to start a thread on Womens Tee Shirt sizing since this was the only thing I could find even remotely related to the topic:

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3465445

I just ordered 2 tee's based on the sizing chart they have up online and when I received them they're actually quite tight on me. According to the Mens sizing thread above, they use American Apparel tee's...I'm not so sure about that because I'm usually a medium in AA Tees. I ordered Womens Larges from shirt.woot and they are snug through the bust and waist--the material isn't typical tee shirt rib or jersey...it has very very little give to it. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs...I wish I'd purchased XL's. Be aware also that the neck opening is VERY snug. (ie i feel like i'm being strangled)

Use the sizing chart and then go up one size. good luck--knowing how the tee shirts fit now, I'm not sure I'll buy another tee from woot. Which is a shame because so many of the designs are great.

mscrankypants

Glad it's not just me. I really like the shirts. I am lucky that the xlg fits me just about perfectly. Another thing is bust size. How shall I put this? I'm more Kate Moss than Dita Von Teese... There's not alot of extra room in the chest (of the shirt, that is)

Mesoinvisible

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mesoinvisible
mscrankypants wrote:Glad it's not just me. I really like the shirts. I am lucky that the xlg fits me just about perfectly. Another thing is bust size. How shall I put this? I'm more Kate Moss than Dita Von Teese... There's not alot of extra room in the chest (of the shirt, that is)

Oh trust me...I'm in the same boat. Which is why I was shocked the bust was so snug on the WL size.

I did email customer service about the issue and they very quickly (and very pleasantly) remedied the issue for me. I can't say enough good things about their customer service.

rennrenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rennrenn

Thanks for the replies.

So it seems that going for the largest size (WXL) is the safest option? Just feels really weird to be buying WXL for somebody that normally gets a size 12 over here in the UK...

ekio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ekio

Good to know ^_^ I haven't bought a shirt for myself yet, it's been for my kiddos so far...

And I usually go up one size because of the chest area needing some extra room, but it sounds like I'll need to go up two sizes. Thankfully I know how to trim in if it's too big in the waist!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

rennrenn wrote:Thanks for the replies.

So it seems that going for the largest size (WXL) is the safest option? Just feels really weird to be buying WXL for somebody that normally gets a size 12 over here in the UK...

There is such a vast disparity in standards of sizing measurement within the (especially American) female garment industry that numbers and size names really don't mean much as an indicator of either one's own size or the actual size of the item. That said, I feel that woot shirts follow a more European (french/italian) / Japanese standard of sizing. Meaning, sizes define smaller shapes than to what many Americans and Brits are habituated. Not knowing your precise measurements or how you prefer shirts to fit you, I can only recommend that going larger is the safest bet. So, I'd suggest getting a WXL for one main reason: if it does end up being too large/loose, you can still wear it. Not so with chancing a medium and it ending up being too tight and thus unwearable. Sure, it's possible the medium would be perfect for you, but for $15-20, it's a risk that you have to weigh (pun!) against your wallet.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

On the 'it doesn't fit' spectrum...I'm 6'1 and a WXL won't ever fit.

Ever.

Really.

A WXXL is tight.

And yes, I'm busty, but not THAT busty.

It's the length and fit across the shoulders that ruins it for me.

A men's XL fits fine, and is long enough. An L fits my waist and ribs, but is too narrow through the shoulders.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cat thing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cat thing

Just to add some more perspective....

I'm really small! like 5'1", just under 120lbs, athletic build. I have fairly broad shoulders and I'm fairly busty... but nothing out of the ordinary. I usually fit into a size small for most shirts.

In woot shirts however... I'm somewhere between a medium and a large in the womens' sizes. I fit into the medium, but it is pretty tight all around. I buy mediums when the graphic on the shirt is small, but I buy larges when the graphic covers more of the shirt because that makes the shirt less stretchy.

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

The women's sizes are ridiculously small. My wife wears M or L in other brands but XL is too tight here. If Woot at least offered the next size up it would help. Men's go up to 3X...

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
thatrobert wrote:The women's sizes are ridiculously small. My wife wears M or L in other brands but XL is too tight here. If Woot at least offered the next size up it would help. Men's go up to 3X...

Aye. When my own wife found her ideal size here is a WL, I was like PWND!? She just seems tiny to me (granted, I'm sure some of my perception is due to "size inflation" that we have in the US, but still). An actual bigger woman wouldn't have a _prayer_ of wearing even a WXL.

This is why my first post in the forums was on the thread asking for another women's size to be added. Fair's fair, I mean a dude has to be seriously large (not necessarily fat, but definitely large) to need the highest men's size they offer here.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

thatrobert wrote:The women's sizes are ridiculously small. My wife wears M or L in other brands but XL is too tight here. If Woot at least offered the next size up it would help. Men's go up to 3X...

There was once that we accidentally got a WXXL and I GOT TO HAVE IT.

I HOPE ALL YOU LADIES IS JEALOUS

mscrankypants

On the positive side, I have another reason to not gain weight over the holidays: have to maintain my woot shirt figure;)

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs

What the heck. I'm 5'7", 140 lbs, and a women's medium fits me perfectly. A large is a little too big, but not so big I can't wear it. Mediums are fitted, but not unflattering. I also sometimes will get a men's small, because I'm not a fan of the super short sleeves on the WM.

I found the best way to find the right size was to measure one that fit me well and compare it to the size chart Woot (and American Apparel) have posted. Everyone's different.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
skenneldogs wrote:What the heck. I'm 5'7", 140 lbs, and a women's medium fits me perfectly. A large is a little too big, but not so big I can't wear it. Mediums are fitted, but not unflattering. I also sometimes will get a men's small, because I'm not a fan of the super short sleeves on the WM.

I found the best way to find the right size was to measure one that fit me well and compare it to the size chart Woot (and American Apparel) have posted. Everyone's different.

Agreed. I'm 5', 3" and normally run about 130lbs or under, though I'm a bit inflated just now (broke training for a bit). Busty, with bigg-ish arms. I get WM because I prefer a tight fit. My one complaint being that the length could be more generous. And I try never to let Woots slip into the dryer, to prevent shrinkage, though I goof occasionally. I ordered WL the last couple of times because of the current paunch, and because they were light colors I prefer not to have so clingy.
I imagine WL would be the best fit for most in my size range, WXL if you like tees roomy.

lubelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lubelle

Yeah. I ordered a WXL Coffee Stain Cats and it wouldn't have fit me when I was 12 (years old). My first thought when I saw it was, "CRAP, did I order a Child XL by mistake??" and got online and checked. Gave it away to a skinny teenage girl. Was my first Woot purchase, too. Will try again with a Men's size someday.

Well, at least I can vote now.

propertyofstp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages propertyofstp

5ft8
115 lbs (So I'm pretty thin)
34B

I like my shirts small but not tight. Women's Med is perfect.

Delusionalovely

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Delusionalovely

I'm 5 foot 6, 110lb, 32B
I wear a Medium in woot shirts.
occasionally a small, and it's not like waaayyy too tight, but it's definitally too short. :/
Might have to make my small into a pillow soon. :p

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

I would say NO. I'm 5'1" maybe 100lbs and wear wm. Fits me perfectly.

rinnzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinnzor

I'm 5'4'', 115. WM usually fits me perfectly, but I've bought about 7 shirts from woot and I've found that some come tighter than others. Woot sizes are definitely sized small though... I'm usually a S or XS.

Does anyone else think the sleeves are too short?

skenneldogs

rinnzor wrote:Does anyone else think the sleeves are too short?

YES. That's the only reason I sometimes get a men's small. Even though the shirt is a bit too big, I like the slightly longer sleeves.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

agingdragqueen wrote:There was once that we accidentally got a WXXL and I GOT TO HAVE IT.

I HOPE ALL YOU LADIES IS JEALOUS

Damn you!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
rinnzor wrote:I'm 5'4'', 115. WM usually fits me perfectly, but I've bought about 7 shirts from woot and I've found that some come tighter than others. Woot sizes are definitely sized small though... I'm usually a S or XS.

Does anyone else think the sleeves are too short?

5'7", 155. WL fits really well. Maybe this is an issue of the type of fit people are used to wearing? I would say the sizing is in line with other shirts for my age group.

ekio

I ordered with my fingers crossed and ordered two different sizes for the randoms.

I'm 5'4 145lbs, and nearly hourglass to a t. So most of the time as I stated before I have to go up two sizes.

In this case I ordered a WL and a WXL. The WL fits as I'd wished for. Tight around the top area, but not too tight. And not too much loose fabric around the waist. The WXL was a better fit for wearing on top of other shirts *yay for long sleeves!*

So it'll depend on how I want to wear the shirt most often for me. But my preferred size will be the WL.

Hope that helps some ^_^

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
skenneldogs wrote:YES. That's the only reason I sometimes get a men's small. Even though the shirt is a bit too big, I like the slightly longer sleeves.

See, I think this is a perfect example of how crazy the women's sizes are...WXL really should not be interchangeable w/ Men's Small!

C'mon Woot, you'll sell more shirts if you add WXXL! I promise!

nurry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurry

This will probably be entirely unhelpful to most of you but I just felt like chiming in on various things -

I'm 4'10" and about 130 (so chubby, yes) and I have a very small frame - small shoulders.

I actually wear the K12 size. I find that it is the perfect length (I have a very short torso and prefer that my shirts come just to my waist, NOT hips.) and the perfect width in the shoulders [most regular size people stuff, is way too wide in the shoulders, making them bunch up as if I were wearing shoulder pads. Ugh.]
K12 is a little snug in the chest for me (I'm a 38C-Dish), but not uncomfortably so.

By contrast, the Women's Large , which I have one shirt in, is much tighter in the waist, a tiny bit snugger in the chest, slightly too wide in the shoulders, and about 5 inches too long. Which makes it bunch up unflatteringly at my waist. I haven't tried the WXL, but I'm sure it would be even more annoyingly longer without much corresponding give in the bust/waist, while also continuing to be way too wide in the shoulders.

Anyway, blabbering aside, my tip to the shorter/smaller ladies out there is to try the K12, especially if you don't mind the shorter length shirts.

Hey woot - how about a K14? Same proportions as the other kids tees, but a bit longer/wider in chest/wider at hem?

skenneldogs

amreli wrote:See, I think this is a perfect example of how crazy the women's sizes are...WXL really should not be interchangeable w/ Men's Small!

C'mon Woot, you'll sell more shirts if you add WXXL! I promise!

Sorry; I meant I interchange WM with MS, because the sleeves are longer but the shirt isn't too much bigger. I'd say WL and MS are about the same size.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Leahbh wrote:I would say NO. I'm 5'1" maybe 100lbs and wear wm. Fits me perfectly.

Ah, but I'm pretty much the same size as you (actually an inch taller and a maybe a pound or two heavier), and I think a WM is way too big. There is no method to this women's size madness! Unless... maybe you have more of a chest than me (which you probably do). Perhaps boobage is the key to determining size. Ureka!

amreli

skenneldogs wrote:Sorry; I meant I interchange WM with MS, because the sleeves are longer but the shirt isn't too much bigger. I'd say WL and MS are about the same size.

Actually, MS is closer to WXL than MM is...but it's also closer to WL than it is to WXL (confusing enough?). It's all about the chest for me, so listed chest width for comparison: WL 17.75", MS 18", WXL 18.75", MM 20".

KittyPryde

quality posts: 7 Private Messages KittyPryde

I took this picture a few years back to compare sizes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiyonekatz/4071832834/

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

Instead of bickering about the “woot shirt sizes” why don’t y’all start heading to american apparel (which is where woot! gets their blank shirts) and bickering there?

that was fun while it lasted!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

bpr2 wrote:Instead of bickering about the “woot shirt sizes” why don’t y’all start heading to american apparel (which is where woot! gets their blank shirts) and bickering there?

I don't believe anyone is bickering? It quite seems like the discussion has been very calm and polite? How very odd to characterize females discussing the discrepancies in/of sizing in the modern sartorial world--and requesting opinions on determining a good fit/size at shirt.woot as a result of those discrepancies--as "bickering."

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

5'10" here, 38C. I have a couple WXL, and while they cover everything, the neck is tight, and the chest is definitely too tight. I usually just get the ML if I'm buying for myself. So yeah, I would buy a WXXL if woot went that way

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
goldenthorn wrote:I don't believe anyone is bickering? It quite seems like the discussion has been very calm and polite? How very odd to characterize females discussing the discrepancies in/of sizing in the modern sartorial world--and requesting opinions on determining a good fit/size at shirt.woot as a result of those discrepancies--as "bickering."

Can we give you a quality post for this?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

heartflux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heartflux
Mavyn wrote:Can we give you a quality post for this?

Agreed.

I don't think the bone of contention here is the odd sizing; it's merely a plea to Woot to get a wider range of sizes for women comparable to what they have for men--especially considering the odd sizing.

I woot, therefore I am.

amreli

bpr2 wrote:Instead of bickering about the “woot shirt sizes” why don’t y’all start heading to american apparel (which is where woot! gets their blank shirts) and bickering there?

Um, yeah, we're not bickering about "woot shirt sizes" but mostly requesting that woot add American Apparel's WXXL (which exists) to their options BECAUSE the sizes are so crazy.

And like I said, it will definitely make more money for woot as they *will* sell more shirts that way, so it really makes no sense to me why they don't!

sg1girl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sg1girl
sacrerouge wrote:5'10" here, 38C. I have a couple WXL, and while they cover everything, the neck is tight, and the chest is definitely too tight. I usually just get the ML if I'm buying for myself. So yeah, I would buy a WXXL if woot went that way

This gives me hope I'm a DD so I knew the womens shirts wouldn't work and went with a ML and it's my first purchase. Crossing my fingers. If I wasn't so busty the W sizes would work. Oh well...

ekio

Actually I'm a DD..and the W sizes work for me just fine. However, it is a difference in how you like them to fit across the chest as well as what size you wear normally. Not to mention body shape. I'm almost hourglass to a t.

WL is a bit snug and doesn't give much movement for me in the chest area but fits how I like shirts to fit on the rest of my body.
WXL is a looser fit overall.

However, on average when buying clothing from stores, I go WM or WL depending on the cut. So I'd say these are a size smaller than they seem.

redwoodgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redwoodgirl

I am SO glad I'm not alone here! I just posted about the sizing and then I saw this! We need to start a revolution!!!