WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Here’s what we saw in our most recent glance around the t-shirt-osphere:

If you’re like us, when you think of Mickey Mouse you think "angry graffiti artist". Thankfully Disney’s merchandising folks have their finger on the pulse of what’s “crunk” and given us some totally in your face shirt designs. Poochy would be proud.
(Via Cartoon Brew)

SAY Media asked “Who are the people that shape our opinions?” and turned to 10 experts in 10 categories to find their answer. The SAY 100 is a thoughtfully assembled group of curators, who bring us the best of the internet and what’s happening now. We thought the design and style categories would be right up your alley since we follow many of these blogs daily. Do you think they picked a winning group of experts?

Talented shirt designer Jimiyo offers this blog post entitled How to Deal with Trolls. Wise advice for anyone on the Internet, but especially helpful for artists who put themselves out there week in and week out.
(Via Jimiyo)

Did you know about Shirt.What? Woot community member Bluchez created a site that has an archive of every shirt.woot derby entry, theme, and artist. It also has a leader-board that keeps track of various stats.

And be sure to check out this week’s Best Loser winners, courtesy of Shirt.Woot regular thatrobert.

What sites are burning up your scroll wheel lately?

Photo: Fremont Troll by Flickr user angela n.
Used under a Creative Commons License

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I still recall my first (and only) Disney shirt...Mickey Mouse head, dead center and BIG.

The ears were...awkwardly placed for a girl, to put it mildly.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

The Say 100 Design category has a great curator and some solid choices there. Thanks for pointing this out.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Jimiyo's blog is a great source of info and inspiration. I'd advise any artist to keep track of his posts. He often has tutorials, WIPs, great advice, and other helpful titbits to offer.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bassanimation wrote:Jimiyo's blog is a great source of info and inspiration. I'd advise any artist to keep track of his posts. He often has tutorials, WIPs, great advice, and other helpful titbits to offer.

He's also the number one artist-based source of demoralizing "it's just a t-shirt, all that matters is making money" talk on the interwebs, so make sure you only stick with his actual art advice. Boy can draw. Use his skill to prove his theories wrong.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants

Spent some time in Jimiyo's blog. I've seen his shirts around but definately appreciated his thoughts on curating and creating over consuming. Thanks for these links. I'm always interested in broadening inspirational sources.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
PixelPants wrote:creating over consuming

I also enjoyed his entry about that. As someone who has a lot of self-doubt issues, I always find myself procrastinating and giving up on my art before I give it a chance. Then that leads to a lot of wishy-washy-ing and time wasting instead of making new art ^^;. I need to learn to stop the vicious cycle!

I really admire Jimiyo for everything he does to encourage and help artists.

zezzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zezzo

My favorite Disney shirt was Bugs and Tasmanian devil dressed up as 1990's hip hop group "Kriss Kross" ya know, "Kris Kross will make you Jump Jump" I loved that shirt and now realize how ridiculous I looked in it. Thanks mom for allowing me to dress myself, I really appreciate it. ;)

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
bassanimation wrote:I also enjoyed his entry about that.

Thanks Bass! I appreciate the kind words and support, it helps me want to write more. If an article helps one person start off in the right direction, Al will let me Quantum Leap. ;j

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
bassanimation wrote:I also enjoyed his entry...

jimiyo wrote:Thanks Bass!... ;j