WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Let us harken back for a second to a simpler time. A time of elementary school, potatoes on toothpicks in styrofoam cups full of water, vinegar/baking soda volcanoes, and cooking hot dogs using solar power. This week we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved. Remember the theme is based on a right of passage for middle school though, so leave your complex explanations of String Theory and Higgs boson detection at home. Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment. Of course the Scientific Method is all about following the rules and so are we:

No video games or Star Wars.
Incidental text only.
If you need to show a chemical symbol or mathematical formula, fine. But you can't have a text-centric design.
No anthropomorphic animals. Animals in experiments are okay so long as they're acting like animals.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

And maybe we can keep the volcanoes to a minimum please.

But I do predict a lot of static electricity and magnets.

EDIT:

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

"anthropomorphic" Nice!

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

now how best to work in my old styrofoam solar system.

...but it had Pluto!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

... i guess anthropomorphic fruits and vegetables are still allowed?

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Andy47240 wrote:"anthropomorphic" Nice!

Will this be the derby with the smallest # of entries ever?

What about anthropomorphic test tubes?

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
no1 wrote:... i guess anthropomorphic fruits and vegetables are still allowed?

Just as long as they look confused at something happening next to them

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I wonder if they might want to say that anthropomorphic stuff in general is banned? otherwise we'll get veggies, and flowers, and trees, and (cough) mushrooms, all with smiley or sad faces and blanked out eyes.

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre

"it's a cup of dirt... just put an F on there and let me go home."

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

The one I did in school was preserved food and how fast it gets moldy (like Twinkies). I don't see a great shirt design out of that one... back to the drawing board on that one.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Even if for nothing else, I'm happy for the anthropomorphic animals ban.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

This seems like a tough one, hopefully I can think of something...

kevlar51

Josephus wrote:I wonder if they might want to say that anthropomorphic stuff in general is banned? otherwise we'll get veggies, and flowers, and trees, and (cough) mushrooms, all with smiley or sad faces and blanked out eyes.

Agreed, it never ceases to amaze me how designers read a rule that says "no x" and immediately think "that means I can do y ... I MUST do y!!!"

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

I built a hover craft for my 6th grade science fair. My sister built a reed plate jet engine.

I'm inclined to think bigger on this subject than simple dioramas.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

"No anthropomorphic animals."

*sigh* so much for the semi-disected frogs running in fear from the erupting volcano.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i wonder which woot staffer has a kid who had to make a science fair project recently.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719

Don't worry, guys. You can totally stick beady eyes and stick arms on everything!!!!11eleventy!

thedeejman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedeejman

Oh boy, time to put the chemistry major to good use!

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee

I hate science fairs so much... before I actually got to read the rules I actually had an initial idea of like a giant carnivorous tomato or something as a kids project. Still thinking about it and trying to refine the idea though...

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Um, I mostly did art stuff in school. What is this science you speak of?

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

7th grade science my worst nightmare. Fallin g asleep on those maroon speckled formica counters and telling the teacher that I would faint if I was forced to cut into a frog, (it worked...no frog for me.)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

So I have an idea involving transpiration but I'm wondering whether it's okay to make it a little "arty" and have the carnation coming out of a pool of multicolored water rather than the two glasses?

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I think I am doing an alien that has crash landed in a science fair and taken third place

or

a line of three science fair projects and three kids. The one in the middle is all charred black as if he/her and his/her project just exploded. Other two kids in confused shock.

I want to do the alien one though.

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
chumpmagic wrote:I think I am doing an alien that has crash landed in a science fair and taken third place

or

a line of three science fair projects and three kids. The one in the middle is all charred black as if he/her and his/her project just exploded. Other two kids in confused shock.

Both are good. I think the exploding kid would look better. Plus with the "actual things you'd see in a science fair" rule they may reject the alien... May...

mindputtee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee

Oh oh new idea! A kid with a "hypnosis" project where the teacher is dazedly handing him the 1st place ribbon.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik

Hmmm, not to nitpick but I think that's "rite" of passage, not "right". Apologies, am horrible word nerd.

kevlar51

also thinking about something along the lines of the typical "dad did the project for the kid" entry.

Maybe Newton next to his kid with an apple tree?

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
kevlar51 wrote:also thinking about something along the lines of the typical "dad did the project for the kid" entry.

Maybe Newton next to his kid with an apple tree?

I had a newton idea too...but it involved bullies pelting him in the head with apples

I'm not gonna do it

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
jewelwing wrote:Um, I mostly did art stuff in school. What is this science you speak of?

Yup. In first grade I did a paper machet science fair thing. I made a ball of it painted it red. Woo!

In middle school I glued shells to a board and called it 'research'.

Derp derp derp derp... SAIENCE!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

It's been a while since I've been to a science fair, but I found this website that has lots of project ideas.

therabbit86ed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therabbit86ed
Andy47240 wrote:"anthropomorphic" Nice!

well... my 'roaches smoking catnip' idea is out...

bummer...

Here is another link with science fair project ideas

I am leaning towards the Orange one...

chumpmagic

djtheatre wrote:Both are good. I think the exploding kid would look better. Plus with the "actual things you'd see in a science fair" rule they may reject the alien... May...

Am I blind? I don't see your quote in there.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

here's what I'm brewin' Science fair... 3 kids... one does a project on magnets... one does a project on robots... and one does project on spiders. if its not clear, think for a while.

title: "Super Nerds!"

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
chumpmagic wrote:I think I am doing an alien that has crash landed in a science fair and taken third place

or

Who are you, Radiomode? ;^)

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS

I'm thinking of combining both the potato battery with the pickle light projects.
Create a battery array made of a bunch of pickles in serial which then ends up attached to a pickle causing it to glow.

bkearney09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09

I LOVE rule #3. I'm so sick of cutsie animal t-shirts...

Thoughts of experiments gone wrong portrayed on a t-shirt though...I like. I may have some fun with this one. How abstract do you think I can be on this one? Could I get away with a design just being based on some scientific experiment, or do you think I need to be more specific?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kevlar51 wrote:also thinking about something along the lines of the typical "dad did the project for the kid" entry.

At one of my science fairs a kid brought in a finely crafted wooden box (complete with dovetailing) that you could look in and see a chess piece that looked like it was really there but wasn't. It was probably some kind of trick projection I guess, or maybe even some kind of hologram (I didn't read the comparably cheap looking poster board display about how it worked), but you'd think it was crafted by a master woodworker for a museum. Hey if the kid did it, props to him, but I still have my doubts.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

This past year, my cousin's science fair project was comparing the pulling capacity of male and female hissing roaches. She tied strings to them and made them drag more and more pennies 'til they couldn't drag no mo'. If someone's looking for scifair inspiration, perhaps something amusing could be done with that? (Though I'm currently picturing a truly terrible New Yorker cartoon, soooo... yeah)

chumpmagic

Josephus wrote:Who are you, Radiomode? ;^)

Why, has he/she already done both ideas?

kevlar51

tgentry wrote:At one of my science fairs a kid brought in a finely crafted wooden box (complete with dovetailing) that you could look in and see a chess piece that looked like it was really there but wasn't. It was probably some kind of trick projection I guess, or maybe even some kind of hologram (I didn't read the comparably cheap looking poster board display about how it worked), but you'd think it was crafted by a master woodworker for a museum. Hey if the kid did it, props to him, but I still have my doubts.

It was the dad. If it was impressive, it was always the dad.

I hope my son gets good at science so I don't have to do his project for him.