no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:I'd like to see a stat of most winners of doubletake derbies or even percentage wins of doubletake derbies; i.e., wins per doubletake entry. might be a better indication of 'respectedness' of artists, but interesting in its own right.

woot selects for doubletakes but voters select winners. kind of an odd mishmash of a stat.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

I want to make sure you guys know that I have obviously not verified the stats to any high degree. If anyone feels like checking up on the numbers, feel free to. If you know how to read an SQL query, you can mouse over the title of each table and graph to see exactly how each table is created. I'm a 'relative' novice when it comes to SQL, so double checking certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
bluchez wrote:I want to make sure you guys know that I have obviously not verified the stats to any high degree. If anyone feels like checking up on the numbers, feel free to. If you know how to read an SQL query, you can mouse over the title of each table and graph to see exactly how each table is created. I'm a 'relative' novice when it comes to SQL, so double checking certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Nerd question: it looks like you're doing PHP/MySQL yes? And you gather all your data by screenscraping? Do you use anything special to do the scraping?

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I really like this archive, especially since shirtderbystats is going away. Great work, bluchez!!!

I think getting the deleted pictures compiled is a higher priority than any statistics. jmo

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
mjc613 wrote:I think getting the deleted pictures compiled is a higher priority than any statistics. jmo

otterific, I nominate you for that job :P

Meanwhile, I'm going to focus on the otterific (and much more useful) site bluchez just created. It's rad! It has stats! It provides an actual service beyond theoretical shaming! Hooray!

(On the real, it's funny to me that everyone is all of a sudden up in arms about removed pictures- when has that ever been a legitimate derby issue? Name a time it mattered and someone found out about it from somewhere other than Woot itself.)

bluchez

Since I had all of the data, I went ahead and implemented derby pages for the archive. It seems to load faster for me, has bigger thumbnails, less blank space, and a few extra bits of information at a quick glance.

I'm trying to decide on a good way to provide linking to the artist's pages, so that will likely be implemented before long.

derby archive

robert: Yeah, the web pages are PHP querying an SQL db. The backend is just php scripts populating the SQL db, because that was easiest for me to do.

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
bluchez wrote:

169 derbies, 6175 artists, 36,977 entries.

So, I guess this means I need ideas for what you guys would like to see added based on artist or other info. If I ignore your suggestion, please know that it is entirely personal and it has nothing to do with workload or other life reasons. I will unlikely do work to help you prove your point, so positive uses for the data are much more likely to be considered.

Have fun!

I'm not sure how hard this would be to program, but it would be neat to be able to sort the artist pages by votes or derby placement. It would be interesting to get an overall feel for how they generally place, what they do that places well, etc. For people with a lot of entries, and not always consistent performance, it can be harder to notice that.

Overall, blu, this is just excellent!

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Hey, bluechez, you have an actual random sale up in your archives (there's a blurry shirt, and then much further down there's a random) - which is no biggie, but considering it represents no new content, I wouldn't figure you'd document it (and would be consistent either way).

Maybe it's one woot swapped due to poor research issues.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

I haven't been in Woot World for awhile, but was just checking it out today and saw this post. LOVE what you did. Really cool to see all the stats, and all the artist's shirts in one place. Great way to track progress and design trends.

Thanks!!!

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Your archive and stats site pleases me very much. Great resources.

One thing I miss about shirtderbystats though is that it would tell us how long a fogged entry has been in the fog so far. I'd love to see that implemented into shirtwhat if possible.

bluchez

I added a few more data items to the database and a few more tables to the leaderboard. 3 new tables in the leaderboard include longest consecutive derby entry streak, most commented entries, and most voted entries. Additionally, each artist page lists their longest streak and their most commented entry (since some people like to tie up the leaderboard tables ).

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread so far!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

bluchez, thanks a ton for this wonderful site!

bluchez

kwilder wrote:I'm not sure how hard this would be to program, but it would be neat to be able to sort the artist pages by votes or derby placement. It would be interesting to get an overall feel for how they generally place, what they do that places well, etc. For people with a lot of entries, and not always consistent performance, it can be harder to notice that.

Overall, blu, this is just excellent!

Sorting of artist pages added. That is pretty neat to look through.

no1

bluchez wrote:I added a few more data items to the database and a few more tables to the leaderboard. 3 new tables in the leaderboard include longest consecutive derby entry streak, most commented entries, and most voted entries. Additionally, each artist page lists their longest streak and their most commented entry (since some people like to tie up the leaderboard tables ).

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread so far!

on your "longest streak" table, are you including the double-take derbies? i'm surprised perennial entrants like josephus and skektek, who are both in the top three of your "most entries" table, don't even show up on this list. surely they've entered more than 31 consecutive non-double-take derbies at some point. or is it currently-still-going longest streaks?

bluchez

no1 wrote:on your "longest streak" table, are you including the double-take derbies? i'm surprised perennial entrants like josephus and skektek, who are both in the top three of your "most entries" table, don't even show up on this list. surely they've entered more than 31 consecutive non-double-take derbies at some point. or is it currently-still-going longest streaks?

Yeah, the longest streak currently takes into account double take derbies. It requires having an entry in consecutive numbered derbies, regardless of derby specifics.

I'd be willing to change it for compelling arguments.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bluchez wrote:Yeah, the longest streak currently takes into account double take derbies. It requires having an entry in consecutive numbered derbies, regardless of derby specifics.

I don't care whether I show up on any of these lists, but it does seem to me that the double-take doesn't require any input from you to be included- it's more to do with whether woot likes your work than whether you are putting forth the effort. It is not part of the process at all, really. Plus, there are no new submissions in the do-over derbies.
It's kind of like the post-season in football; how long would Favre's streak have been if it ended with the first time he was on a team that didn't make the playoffs? or Cal Ripken's streak in baseball of consecutive games? The Orioles didn't make it into the world series every year of his streak, after all, and your inclusion of the do-over derbies really fits that method more than the way the sports people have set it up.

no1

bluchez wrote:Yeah, the longest streak currently takes into account double take derbies. It requires having an entry in consecutive numbered derbies, regardless of derby specifics.

imo a "longest streak" stat is mostly only noteworthy for showing persistence and regularity - "sticktoitiveness" - over a long period of time. the double-take derbies do not afford opportunities for entry, so including them (again imo) somewhat distorts the information presented.

consistency in quality (as measured by woot hms) would be a different matter. perhaps other stats, such as "longest consecutive streak of hms" or "longest streak of double take derbies," would capture that information.

perhaps not that compelling, but this is my take on it.

bluchez

OK, I made the streak based on only non-doover derbies, but included the "pure streak" in the table as well. Opinions?

Josephus

bluchez wrote:OK, I made the streak based on only non-doover derbies, but included the "pure streak" in the table as well. Opinions?

seems good to me.I'd like to see a streak for do-overs only too. who's consistently liked by woot?

no1

bluchez wrote:OK, I made the streak based on only non-doover derbies, but included the "pure streak" in the table as well. Opinions?

seems good.

btw, if i haven't made it clear before, i think your site compares quite favorably with sliced bread.

no1

Josephus wrote:seems good to me.I'd like to see a streak for do-overs only too. who's consistently liked by woot?

imo "consistently liked" would be captured by # hms/# entries. the time between do-overs is too long to be very useful; one designer could get an hm every week while another only needs to get one every three months or so, and they could end up with the same length of do-over streaks.

Josephus

no1 wrote:imo "consistently liked" would be captured by # hms/# entries. the time between do-overs is too long to be very useful; one designer could get an hm every week while another only needs to get one every three months or so, and they could end up with the same length of do-over streaks.

you are seriously a pain in the ass.

I didn't say CONTINUALLY liked by woot, I said consistently. In my opinion, if they are in every single do-over derby, then woot consistently likes their work, whether woot loves it so much that they hmn it every week, or or just barely like it enough to hm it once every 3 months.

no1

Josephus wrote:you are seriously a pain in the ass.

I didn't say CONTINUALLY liked by woot, I said consistently. In my opinion, if they are in every single do-over derby, then woot consistently likes their work, whether woot loves it so much that they hmn it every week, or or just barely like it enough to hm it once every 3 months.

if they like it only one week out of 12 and hate the other 11 weeks, that is not so consistent as 12 weeks in a row. the data is there to distinguish between the two; why not use it?

Josephus

no1 wrote:if they like it only one week out of 12 and hate the other 11 weeks, that is not so consistent as 12 weeks in a row. the data is there to distinguish between the two; why not use it?

the other system you propose doesn't incorporate the time issue. For all we know, assuming a hypothetical submitter, call him 'Master1', Woot might like everything he submits during the winter, and nothing at all during the summer, because he is red green colorblind, and his spring/summer/fall designs don't have great color choices. As a consequence, 'Master1' only submits in the winter time, excluding one derby, the Christmas-themed derby. 'Master1' would show up as woot consistently liking him by your system (though I don't exactly remember your inclusion criteria, and am not going to bother to check) even though woot's liking of him is actually very limited.

Josephus

anyway, I'm not interested in distinguishing between the two. if a person is regularly in the do-over derbies, chances are that they have more than a single week every 3 months that woot likes their designs.

no1

Josephus wrote:anyway, I'm not interested in distinguishing between the two. if a person is regularly in the do-over derbies, chances are that they have more than a single week every 3 months that woot likes their designs.

as i noted before, the data is there; no "chances," no leaps of faith, need be taken. even tabulating hm streaks would be more accurate than a do-over streak.

Josephus

no1 wrote:as i noted before, the data is there; no "chances," no leaps of faith, need be taken. even tabulating hm streaks would be more accurate than a do-over streak.

true dat. though, hm streaks are pretty short, I bet. A do-over stat would be more likely to capture the info of who woot likes most consistently.
though number of hms per number of derbies entered (rather than per number of entries) would be a better index, I think.

no1

Josephus wrote:true dat. though, hm streaks are pretty short, I bet. A do-over stat would be more likely to capture the info of who woot likes most consistently.
though number of hms per number of derbies entered (rather than per number of entries) would be a better index, I think.

has woot never given out more than one hm to a single artist in a single derby?

Josephus

no1 wrote:has woot never given out more than one hm to a single artist in a single derby?

good question. someone might have that data, but I don't recall seeing any.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

So this is where you nerds went off to.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

bluchez

no1 wrote:has woot never given out more than one hm to a single artist in a single derby?

Man, you guys would be bad at trivia. There are several times where an artist had two entries from the same derby in a doover, but these were the only ones I found that actually received two HMs.

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4074043
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3939049
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2725037
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2416096

no1

bluchez wrote:Man, you guys would be bad at trivia. There are several times where an artist had two entries from the same derby in a doover, but these were the only ones I found that actually received two HMs.
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4074043
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3939049
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2725037
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2416096

it's not as if i regularly seek out and read the hm announcements. after all, i wouldn't find my own name in there!

Josephus

no1 wrote:it's not as if i regularly seek out and read the hm announcements. after all, i wouldn't find my own name in there!

you have to enter to get an hm, dude!

no1

Josephus wrote:you have to enter to get an hm, dude!

that's what she said!

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

I have been out of the shirt derby world for a while too but I have an entry this week for the first time in a long time. Was looking for shirtderbystats.com and I'm sad to see that is gone but this resource is awesome! Thanks for putting in the time to make this.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I put my artist archive in my sig not too long ago! Thanks again. You are awesome

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

This is pretty awesome, way above my website creating skills. It's fun looking through all of a particular artists work.