cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone
bluejester wrote:Orange shirt no longer available.

why is that anyway? orange is my favourite colour.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Ironically I feel like 100 years old today (no joke - it's a little scary). Not sure what's up but I won't be drawing.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo

haha this is absolutely wonderful, and prob more relevant even today! GMV GMV GMV

soz for double post folks

mailmanmo

striker138 wrote:It's been a while since I submitted anything.. because well I suck a this, but what do you think about something like this... too subtle?

The year was 1974... Blazing Saddles was the top grossing movie.

haha this is absolutely wonderful, and prob more relevant even today! GMV GMV GMV

edit: oh maybe get rid of full stop dunno why but it bothers me!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

1986!

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone

Bigfoot1107 - you win. (bows)

Crazydoglady, TheGolux - join me in reminiscence of the beauty of birth in the mid-late 50s.

All the rest of you kids: CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM!!! Don't make me come in there...

regularshmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regularshmo
midgerock wrote:here's the final comp for review. I hope people dig it. anybody else born in 1974?

wasn't born in '74, but i'd snap it up in a minute.

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

This one made me smile!

striker138 wrote:It's been a while since I submitted anything.. because well I suck a this, but what do you think about something like this... too subtle?

The year was 1974... Blazing Saddles was the top grossing movie.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Radscoolian wrote:1986!

i'd leave off the tagline at the bottom. i don't think the year actually HAS to be on the shirt, just in the title

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

WOOT STAFF!

Can we add a tagline next to the Year on the title?

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega
axphw1 wrote:So I learned that my year has the inception of Tetris. Is this legible? Worded right? Violate the text-only rule?

As a former Tetris-obsessed teen, the fact that the Z piece and S piece are the same color immediately jumped out at me. I realize you have only 6 colors and 7 pieces. but since you have them adjacent to each other in the V, it' glaringly obvious. Maybe you can make one of them the same color as the L or 7 shaped pieces instead?

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
mailmanmo wrote:haha this is absolutely wonderful, and prob more relevant even today! GMV GMV GMV

edit: oh maybe get rid of full stop dunno why but it bothers me!

I agree. Fixing it.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Dolemite wrote:This one made me smile!

Thank you. Wasn't sure if it would be to vague for most to get the joke.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

Ahhh 1987, The year the infamous Bob-Omb first appeared in a game... god times good times...

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
bpeterson82 wrote:Okay, need some encouragement and critiques. And yes, in 1982 the "Man of the Year" was the computer.

I think you should flip the text - put Man of the Year above the computer and the 1982 under it.
And since it's been pointed out that you have to change the shirt color I'm going to put my 2 cents in on that - try the orange on a royal blue shirt, if it looks like I picture it will then it will be great.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
Spiritgreen wrote:Ironically I feel like 100 years old today (no joke - it's a little scary). Not sure what's up but I won't be drawing.

Sorry to hear that - hope you feel better soon.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bpeterson82 wrote:Okay, need some encouragement and critiques. And yes, in 1982 the "Man of the Year" was the computer.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6890477093_04a812b1b4.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6890491025_ef31aeef42.jpg

You're going to get dinged for photos.

move along

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

The year was 1974... Blazing Saddles was the top grossing movie.[/quote]

Great shirt (I'd remove the period, though)

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
lyonscc wrote:One more:

1968: The Beatles founded Apple Records, which would (many years later) lead to a fight with Apple Corp., delaying the Beatles' catalog from availability in iTunes for years.

Just FYI, this will be rejected almost immediately. The Apple logo is a huge no-no.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

I made a couple changes. I hope this is spoof enough taking the MLB Logo and mashing it with Metroid. What does everyone think?

once again here is a better link:
http://shikausstan.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/6/0/2860070/1986-2.jpg

citizencoyote

I can't help but think of that old Bloom County strip where Oliver laments the Halley's Comet hype:

"It's a speck! It's a spot!
It's just barely a dot!
A comet spectacular
It most certainly is not!

We've been fooled! We've been duped!
They've been pulling our leg!
It's time we faced facts...
Halley's Comet Laid an egg!"

All while holding a paper with a headline reading, "Here Comes the Big Comet! Yow!"

PCBconehead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PCBconehead

With the first or third (blue) versions, you might try to replace the orange with a red or pink and see how that would look. Nice design. I remember 1986 well!

mailmanmo

shikausstan wrote:1986
I made a couple changes. I hope this is spoof enough taking the MLB Logo and mashing it with Metroid. What does everyone think?

once again here is a better link:
http://shikausstan.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/6/0/2860070/1986-2.jpg

good but don't like the exclamation mark.
mmm punctuation is really bothering me today....

citizencoyote

midgerock wrote:here's the final comp for review. I hope people dig it. anybody else born in 1974?

By the way, I love this one. It's amazing, awesome, and I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Hopefully it has enough parody to avoid copyright issues, but be prepared for rejection (note: some language may make link NSFW), just in case.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

This is what I'm working on... not revealing the the year yet, want to see if people can figure out the reference first;)

Still struggling to get it down to 6 colors:/

Vote!

j5

jasneko wrote:This is what I'm working on... not revealing the the year yet, want to see if people can figure out the reference first;)

This is the Muppets.
Also, Halftones for mid-tones.
I have a tutorial, but...meh.

Edited To Add:
pink = white/red
orange = yellow/red
Tone the frog with brown/shirt color.
so that frees up 3 colors right there.

move along

jasneko

j5 wrote:This is the Muppets.
Also, Halftones for mid-tones.
I have a tutorial, but...meh.

Edited To Add:
pink = white/red
orange = yellow/red
Tone the frog with brown/shirt color.
so that frees up 3 colors right there.

Yay, you got it fast!

I've been trying to do the above with halftones, but getting it to look good is the hard part!
Any advice on frequencies might help...

Vote!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
Spiritgreen wrote:Ironically I feel like 100 years old today (no joke - it's a little scary). Not sure what's up but I won't be drawing.

That is horrible news. You just had your second year of consecutive derby entries too! If you feel better in a couple of days maybe you can get a late entry in to keep your streak going. I hope you feel well soon.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
jasneko wrote:This is what I'm working on... not revealing the the year yet, want to see if people can figure out the reference first;)

I like it! I'm not a fan of large amounts of halftones, though. Have you tried using white/black/brown/pink/orange/yellow, making Kermit the shirt color and folding the red into pink?*

*I'm not really an artist so feel free to laugh mercilessly at this comment if you so desire.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
clarinerd wrote:I like it! I'm not a fan of large amounts of halftones, though. Have you tried using white/black/brown/pink/orange/yellow, making Kermit the shirt color and folding the red into pink?*

*I'm not really an artist so feel free to laugh mercilessly at this comment if you so desire.

I don't think I am much of an artist either, but I agree with what you said.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Awww, a derby without Spirit art is like Christmas with no presents. :{ Get rest and feel better soon, dude.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl

1990!

World population was 5,263,593,000.

The Hubble telescope was launched.

George H.W. Bush and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev sign treaty to end chemical weapon production and begin destroying their stocks.

World Health Organization removes homosexuality from its list of diseases.

van Gogh's "portrait of Doctor Gachet" sold for a record $82.5 million.

Gulf War begins.

Largest art theft in U.S. history commited. Twelve paintings worth $100- $300 million stolen from a Boston museum.

Microsoft introduced Windows 3.0

"Sue", best preserved T-Rex specimen ever found is discoverd in South Dakota. (she now resides in the Field Museum in Chicago)

Tim Berners-Lee invents World Wide Web and launches first ever web page.

I don't do shirt designs but these are just a few things that happened in 1990 if anyones was born the same year as me. Not the most interesting year but I like it!

jasneko

Thanks for the color suggestions... still working on it, don't think I'll be able to submit at the derby start though:/

Vote!

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think you will like this on blue!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
citizencoyote wrote:Just FYI, this will be rejected almost immediately. The Apple logo is a huge no-no.

Even in Parody?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
lyonscc wrote:Even in Parody?

Yes. Most parodies that are made to make money have to change up the content so that it's not the actual copyrighted material. Just change the logo up so that it implies the Apple logo, but it's not the real thing.

Tangeloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tangeloo

some way of having the Beatles on that Apple record....that would be cool.

j5

jasneko wrote:Yay, you got it fast!

I've been trying to do the above with halftones, but getting it to look good is the hard part!
Any advice on frequencies might help...

Lay down your yellow and white layers, then do a 50% opacity of red where you want orange/pink. That should do it with minimal halftoning.

move along

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

since the powers that be won't clarify the rejection and to find what part needs to change to make it acceptable and since the rejection reason was "Can't run this as is" which means something can be changed to be acceptable, what is it that needs to change? It's clearly uber parody. the skeleton vaguely looks like Lucy from peanuts... needs some help. Or perhaps tgentry can chime in.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
midgerock wrote:since the powers that be won't clarify the rejection and to find what part needs to change to make it acceptable and since the rejection reason was "Can't run this as is" which means something can be changed to be acceptable, what is it that needs to change? It's clearly uber parody. the skeleton vaguely looks like Lucy from peanuts... needs some help. Or perhaps tgentry can chime in.

Change her dress? Keep it blue, but make it look more time period appropriate.