WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

http://content.sierraclub.org/earthday/

It's that time of year again: spring is springing, birds are chirping, bees are buzzing, and we're getting that itch to get the heck out of the office and back into nature. That's why we're so happy to be partnering again with our pals at The Sierra Club to present a Derby of pure, natural, awesomeness. Give us your best depictions and inspirations from the wide open spaces of nature in our great state and national parks! Maybe it's an ode to appreciation, a cautious warning to preserve a precious resource, or just somewhere cool you'd like to visit some day. The point is to inspire people to get outside and enjoy what the earth has to offer!

Winners will be getting special swag bags courtesy of the Sierra Club in addition to the usual Shirt.Woot prizes, and The Sierra Club will be picking their very favorite design to run in a special sale here AND through The Sierra Club! So get designing already! Just remember these rules:

• Your shirt design MUST be on Black, Creme, Kelly Green, Grass, or Navy. No exceptions.
  • No pop culture riffs. Keep it original.
  • No text.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Are city parks also allowed?

As a ginormous fan of urban parks, I'd love to see a NYC city park depicted. PM me if you want ideas; I'm a wealth of information about Central Park and others around the city.

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Nox and I had an overabundance of ideas this week - so we're working on three designs and hoping we can finish them up without Nox's hand falling off! I'll post some WIPS later today :D I'm excite about this derby!!

3rdmaestro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdmaestro

Does the picture have to be a real place or could it be an imagined setting based on existing things?

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Hiking boots dreaming of Sleeping Beauty which overlooks Lake George and the Adirondack Mountains

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I'm working on something that has a neat concept, I think. Been watching a lot of time-lapse videos and sketching. Hopefully I'll have it ready for midday tomorrow. :^)

I can already tell this derby is going to be a memorable one.

noxandpy

Here's WIP 1, pre-halftoning. This is based on Lake Coeur 'd Alene in northern Idaho.

polyesterdress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polyesterdress
curli76 wrote:Are city parks also allowed?

As a ginormous fan of urban parks, I'd love to see a NYC city park depicted. PM me if you want ideas; I'm a wealth of information about Central Park and others around the city.

Maybe you should visit their website....

curli76

polyesterdress wrote:Maybe you should visit their website....

Not really sure what the point of your post is. . . yes, they're partnering with the Sierra club, but "open spaces" can mean city parks as well. . . and for the record, there ARE natural, wild parks and forests in NYC. The Bronx is 20% parkland, much of it natural.

polyesterdress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polyesterdress
curli76 wrote:Not really sure what the point of your post is. . . yes, they're partnering with the Sierra club, but "open spaces" can mean city parks as well. . . and for the record, there ARE natural, wild parks and forests in NYC. The Bronx is 20% parkland, much of it natural.

Sounds like you answered your own question then.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
polyesterdress wrote:Sounds like you answered your own question then.

You're going to be real popular around here with that attitude. Call it a hunch.

Nothing follows.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Sorry Woot, but I think the bestest national park shirt has already been done.

But this derby could produce a close second.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
polyesterdress wrote:Sounds like you answered your own question then.

No offense but you're awfully snarky for someone who just joined today. And considering that fact are you the best person to be providing advice about the derby? Artists come to this forum for input and constructive criticism, not one liners that provide no helpful content.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
axphw1 wrote:Hiking boots dreaming of Sleeping Beauty which overlooks Lake George and the Adirondack Mountains

I'm looking forward to how this one turn out for sentimental reasons - used to live in the area and miss it tons.

I know this was mentioned elsewhere, but the boots are just a bit awkward, for lack of better phrasing. I get the point of the boots dreaming of the outdoors and being in that location, but the 2 elements just don't mesh yet. The boots have the clip art feel to 'em and I feel like that's detracting from the overall design a bit. I wish I could offer suggestions for what to do, but I just don't know. Maybe once the landscape portion is done you can play with things, maybe see how that part looks on it's own.

Good luck!

aerc712

noxandpy wrote:Here's WIP 1, pre-halftoning. This is based on Lake Coeur 'd Alene in northern Idaho.

I really liked the touch of the two people off to the side. It really helped capture the moment of sometimes you just have to sit/stand in a spot and enjoy the amazing view in front of you.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
aerc712 wrote:I'm looking forward to how this one turn out for sentimental reasons - used to live in the area and miss it tons.

I know this was mentioned elsewhere, but the boots are just a bit awkward, for lack of better phrasing. I get the point of the boots dreaming of the outdoors and being in that location, but the 2 elements just don't mesh yet. The boots have the clip art feel to 'em and I feel like that's detracting from the overall design a bit. I wish I could offer suggestions for what to do, but I just don't know. Maybe once the landscape portion is done you can play with things, maybe see how that part looks on it's own.

Good luck!

I moved here for school and the hiking is by far the best aspect of the region. This spot is one of my personal favorites.

I think you and @blanked are correct that the boots don't look right. I'll play with it and perhaps lose that half all together. Thanks for the notes!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

So we get shirts in support of nature ... on blanks now made in factories that are apparently fueled with Bunker Oil, in countries were environmental standards are less stringent. #WinningAtHypocrisy?

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred

I'm not super excited about this derby (not really my thing) but would a cleared mountaintop be a wide open space?

(I also tend to play opposite cards when I play Apples to Apples, because contrast usually makes a better point.)

curli76

jstjred wrote:I'm not super excited about this derby (not really my thing) but would a cleared mountaintop be a wide open space?

(I also tend to play opposite cards when I play Apples to Apples, because contrast usually makes a better point.)

Please to put a spinning Julie Andrews on top of the mountain.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jstjred wrote:I'm not super excited about this derby (not really my thing) but would a cleared mountaintop be a wide open space?

You sound like you might enjoy Cards Against Humanity.

I'm just hanging out, really.

aerc712

I'd think it fits. It might not be what was envisioned, but it still makes a statement.

(I have a similar approach to Apples to Apples, but my favorite thing to do is to save the Helen Keller card until a great/terrible moment.)

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
aerc712 wrote:I'd think it fits. It might not be what was envisioned, but it still makes a statement.

(I have a similar approach to Apples to Apples, but my favorite thing to do is to save the Helen Keller card until a great/terrible moment.)

I shouldn't say this...but my little brother played Lucky on Helen Keller...and won. In a way, I suppose she was...she had something most of us today don't have...

Also...I saw Touchy-Feely win with Michael Jackson. Booo. My sides were seriously hurting when I recovered from that one.

And as far as the Julie Andrews on the mountain...I'd love to see that, but It would take someone else to design it. I'm no artist. Not even close.

aerc712

jstjred wrote:I shouldn't say this...but my little brother played Lucky on Helen Keller...and won. In a way, I suppose she was...she had something most of us today don't have...

Also...I saw Touchy-Feely win with Michael Jackson. Booo. My sides were seriously hurting when I recovered from that one.

And as far as the Julie Andrews on the mountain...I'd love to see that, but It would take someone else to design it. I'm no artist. Not even close.

Ah, Michael Jackson. Another card that can lead to interesting combinations.

New Orleans + shallow...that combination was played a few years ago

bigbadblackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigbadblackman
noxandpy wrote:Here's WIP 1, pre-halftoning. This is based on Lake Coeur 'd Alene in northern Idaho.

that's awesome my wife will love it she's from Coeur 'd Alene

shirt.woot suppling my wardrobe since 2008

phylumsynthesis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phylumsynthesis

A bunny! People here seem to like bunnies. Also, red rocks.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

I'm doing a collaboration with my mommy. Everyone has to vote or she will make you sit on the stairs in time-out.

noxandpy

bigbadblackman wrote:that's awesome my wife will love it she's from Coeur 'd Alene

I'm (Py) a transplant from California, but CDA is my home now. I love it here. Nox is WAAAAY across the country...so I'm trying to convince her hubby to bring her up here to me. <3

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I'm not really good at artistic stuff (working on that though)...so I wanted to make something fun So this is what I've got. It's like...animals should have their "let's join our open spaces" day or something... hahahah It's almost done (I have to make the halftones), but it would be great if you could help me with the title ^__^

curli76

wirdou wrote:I'm not really good at artistic stuff (working on that though)...so I wanted to make something fun So this is what I've got. It's like...animals should have their "let's join our open spaces" day or something... hahahah It's almost done (I have to make the halftones), but it would be great if you could help me with the title ^__^

Our Own Dam Place

aerc712

phylumsynthesis wrote:A bunny! People here seem to like bunnies. Also, red rocks.

Wow. I love it. It's interesting how you had the ears frame the picture. I'm glad that you went with the more realistic bunny.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

When designing this I was thinking what if the wildlife explored and surveyed the land like humans did. This is what I came up with. I hope people dig it.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Here's what I'm working with at the moment--thoughts welcome!

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I'm working with at the moment--thoughts welcome!

Woot/Amazon/Kindle should pay you a boatload for this. Great work.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
inkycatz wrote:You sound like you might enjoy Cards Against Humanity.

Oh my gookie that is the greatest thing ever. EVER. EVER!

dragoncrafter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragoncrafter

I hope open spaces that aren't exactly always "wide" will be okay. From limestone caves to desert slot canyons, some of the most spectacular scenery I've seen has actually been underground. This concept is dedicated to those spaces:

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure

Work in Progress...

plant more air fresheners!

If i keep the rear view mirror, i'm wondering what i should put in it. I'm thinking smokestacks/something else to leave behind, or something profound like planet earth.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

I'm really excited for this derby, the whole family has a soft spot for nature and the "wide open" of the wilderness. In fact for my wife's birthday on Saturday we are planning a trip to the National Arboretum.... so cool.

This is my submission - I hope you all enjoy.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
midgerock wrote:When designing this I was thinking what if the wildlife explored and surveyed the land like humans did. This is what I came up with. I hope people dig it.

Absolutely love the style of this, MidgeRock.

noxandpy

We're playing with some new styles this week! This one is "Get Out of Your Cave!" Two down, one to go!

noxandpy

cfdunbar wrote:

This is beautiful dunbar. Good luck!