Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

franksmith

quality posts: 8 Private Messages franksmith

I don't see bacon on there...

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe

Okay, I know I'm getting a bit overly technical here, but technically the entire thing should be hydrogen and helium with everything else being nearly microscopic in size. That is if the size correlates to abundance of the elements in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

You can thank me for the correction later (or now in the form of an amazingly QUALITY POST!). =)

lonelypond

quality posts: 461 Private Messages lonelypond

Excellent. One of the reasons I love (yes, it's love, did I mention The Umbrellas random that arrived the other day) shirtwoot! is that it makes me glad I spent the time I did being a science + science fiction aficionado before theatre took over.

Not that there's a joke to get here, but seeing the elements not in a periodic table form and looking like a star explosion is a cool thing.

Merry Christmas shirtwoot!

lichme

quality posts: 3202 Private Messages lichme

Hang on, what does your shirt say?

.... 5 minutes later

I don't get it

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

short2055

quality posts: 0 Private Messages short2055

There is an Animaniacs song to be sung here...

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe
short2055 wrote:There is an Animaniacs song to be sung here...

Really? I was going to go with "Chemical Calisthenics" by Blackalicious ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffrdpBACctg

massha10

quality posts: 68 Private Messages massha10
Stexe wrote:Okay, I know I'm getting a bit overly technical here, but technically the entire thing should be hydrogen and helium with everything else being nearly microscopic in size. That is if the size correlates to abundance of the elements in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

You can thank me for the correction later (or now in the form of an amazingly QUALITY POST!). =)

Actually, if you look at that picture in the wikipedia article you posted (thank you, thank you!) it uses logarithms of the frequencies and not the numbers themselves - and in that graphic representation, it is all comparable. Now, a bigger problem is that of meaningful comparison of font sizes vs. frequencies - if the font is twice as tall, is it supposed to mean it's twice as prominent? Or should we go by relative areas? etc. But I think since most of us are really not capable to remember all the frequencies anyhow and can just marvel at the relative order of things, the t-shirt can be considered "accurate enough." (that is until and unless somebody discovers an error). Thanks again for posting the info!

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365
massha10 wrote:Actually, if you look at that picture in the wikipedia article you posted (thank you, thank you!) it uses logarithms of the frequencies and not the numbers themselves - and in that graphic representation, it is all comparable. Now, a bigger problem is that of meaningful comparison of font sizes vs. frequencies - if the font is twice as tall, is it supposed to mean it's twice as prominent? Or should we go by relative areas? etc. But I think since most of us are really not capable to remember all the frequencies anyhow and can just marvel at the relative order of things, the t-shirt can be considered "accurate enough." (that is until and unless somebody discovers an error). Thanks again for posting the info!

I thought it was inversely proportional to the size of the element. Was I wrong?

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
Stexe wrote:Really? I was going to go with "Chemical Calisthenics" by Blackalicious ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffrdpBACctg

Hmm, Neither one of those came to mind for me... The Tom Lehrer ditty was the instant inference I got. (Yes as a matter of fact, I am an old fogey, now get off my lawn!)

massha10

quality posts: 68 Private Messages massha10
phonedog365 wrote:I thought it was inversely proportional to the size of the element. Was I wrong?

Hmmm..... I (and it looks like so did Stexe) assumed it was proportional to the frequency of the element in the Universe.

Maybe I was wrong?

cmwrobel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmwrobel

How do they know about the relative amounts of elements in the whole universe? Did I miss something?

Polychrome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Polychrome
massha10 wrote:Hmmm..... I (and it looks like so did Stexe) assumed it was proportional to the frequency of the element in the Universe.

Maybe I was wrong?

Geez - and here I just thought it looked cool...!!!

ueberRegenbogen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ueberRegenbogen
short2055 wrote:There is an Animaniacs song to be sung here...
Stexe wrote:Really? I was going to go with "Chemical Calisthenics" by Blackalicious ...

My first thought was Tom Lehrer.

ueberRegenbogen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ueberRegenbogen
cmwrobel wrote:How do they know about the relative amounts of elements in the whole universe? Did I miss something?

Astronomy. ☺

DavidHart

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DavidHart

Looks nice, a bit geeky, but I have too many dark shirts...

Can I get some white shirts for the summer, please...

cloudyview

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudyview

What happened to the AA option? I'm really not a fan of the other shirts. They're too short and the necks stretch out like crazy.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

I love this design. I don't really care about whether there's any rhyme or reason behind the relative size of the font for each layer of elements. It's just awesome.

I also love books. I could bury myself literally with all my books and probably also die.

Gokuchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gokuchu

What, no American Apparel choice?

KierDran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KierDran

The order reminds me of the order the elements are sung in the element song, which is put to the music of "I'm a very model of a modern major general"

jjorden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjorden

Urgh i hate anvil shirts.

Hey!

drifblim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drifblim

Am I the only one whose eye was drawn immediately to the misspelling of "fluorine"? It really stands out to me since it's oriented in a readable way and quite large.

ewaldjw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewaldjw
ueberRegenbogen wrote:Astronomy. ☺

>Aliens<

http://fiddlerman.com/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/gkeese/2012/08/Aliens-meme.jpg

13 - Woots
1 - Accessories.woot
1 - Tech.woot
2 - Home.woots
3 - Sport.woots
26 - Shirt.woots
3 - Sellout.woots

auntiesash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiesash
drifblim wrote:Am I the only one whose eye was drawn immediately to the misspelling of "fluorine"? It really stands out to me since it's oriented in a readable way and quite large.

I noticed it. Then looked it up to be sure I wasn't confused. Oh I REALLY hope they can fix that before printing.

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
massha10 wrote:Hmmm..... I (and it looks like so did Stexe) assumed it was proportional to the frequency of the element in the Universe.

Maybe I was wrong?

I think it is just a representation of the different electron shells, with a font size representing each shell (spiraling clockwise from Hydrogen at 12 o'clock) as it gets further from the atomic nucleus.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

christyvaught

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christyvaught

What happened to the AA option?? The anvil shirts are extremely low quality. Very, very thin and way too short. Sigh, well I guess it is back to not buying woot shirts. Bye, bye.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats Kevin!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Well done for not slipping unobtanium in there. Good show.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Nice one, Kevin! Congrats!

jorgy76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jorgy76

Another shirt I would of bought if it was AA

GinMan69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GinMan69

Fluorine is misspelled........

lslonim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lslonim

It's a great idea, but there's no science behind it. Somebody please do one where the sizes relate to the log of abundance, and all the scientists on Woot will buy it. And run it through spell check (flourine, is that the element that wheat is made of?) I'm tryin' to think, but nuthin' happens.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
Stexe wrote:Okay, I know I'm getting a bit overly technical here, but technically the entire thing should be hydrogen and helium with everything else being nearly microscopic in size. That is if the size correlates to abundance of the elements in the universe.

The ordering on this shirt is from the periodic table in order from largest font to smallest. The periodic table is in order of electron shells, so this shirt roughly follows this pattern. However, the periodic table ends a row each time a shell is filled, while this shirt just keeps going.

Spiritgreen wrote:Well done for not slipping unobtanium in there. Good show.

Well, if you look near the top there is ununoctium, which is real.

cmwrobel wrote:How do they know about the relative amounts of elements in the whole universe? Did I miss something?

Lots and lots of deductive and inductive reasoning. Here's a few things that are used:
-We assume that the rest of the Universe is somewhat like our little patch of it. We know what is present on Earth and the other planets and we use that as a model for other solar systems.
-absorption spectroscopy and emission spectroscopy can tell you about the chemical composition of distant objects based off of which frequencies of light they absorb (and emit).
-Consider helium. We know that its formed as the decay product of some radioactive elements and from the fusion of hydrogen. If you work out the decay rate of the radioactive elements and how much of them there is; then you work how fast the helium in Universe is undergoing fusion and how much hydrogen there is; and then you use the age of the Universe: all of this will give you a nice estimate for the total amount of helium in the Universe.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Nicely played.
Congrats on the print!

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Cool design. Congrats!

nucleardrugs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nucleardrugs

Great design, even with the misspelled Fluorine. Too bad the only way to keep an Anvil shirt presentable is dry cleaning. Let us know when you resurrect it on American Apparel. I don't have a need for see through tee shirts, especially at this cost plus shipping. You can't even blame Amazon, they wash their hands of Woot customer service issues.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks a lot everyone! Sorry about the fluorine spelling--boo boo on my part there. I sent in a corrected file this morning, with any luck they can get that fixed, but gears are already in motion.

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

for all of you mooning over the lack of AA shirts.. next time the option is there i will remember to go up a size because AA shirts must be made for much smaller frames than any other shirt i have ever bought. in 'real' shirts i buy a misses (not womans) large for sleeve length.. in woot shirts i have been buying a mens medium.. i find that a bit ridiculous to begin with but..hey.. so it goes. i ordered a couple shirts in the AA option.. mens medium (hey..i am 5'7", 135 pounds..not exactly huge) and they are so freaked tight and i am NOT large on top in any stretch of the imagination..just sayin'.. so if i have the AA option again.. mens large.. Where's Ted Healy? do men wear? 3x?

dkaysen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkaysen

I'm glad to see someone else remembers it...

glimfeather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glimfeather

I would've had to buy this if there was an AA option still. Oh well, I guess it saves me money.