MaxSMoke777


quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777
stickfight wrote:Woah this shirt is too hasty - we're still working on robot butlers. For example, here's a $400,000 robot that can can make sandwiches and even fold towels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy5g33S0Gzo (just give it a while).



This shirt is too hasty on all KINDS of things. You could move faster then the speed of light if you could fold space, and that would also allow for seamless "Teleportation", although it wouldn't be the atomic break-down kind of teleportation, it'd be more of the "Pop" and you're there kinda thing. Likewise, if you're folding space, Time-Travel is not outside of the window of opportunity either. Flying Cars and Robot Butlers, that's just plain impatience. They are coming! And don't get me started on Pluto. Atmosphere, 2 moons, COME ON!! Screw you, Europe!

This designer is to Science what a 8 year old yellow belt is to Martial Arts. He/she knows just enough to be a troublesome, but not enough to be helpful.

logicape


quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
cyberpenguin wrote:Still a planet here in New Mexico too, where Clyde Tombaugh was a Professor of Astronomy at NMSU.



If these 'scientist' legislators want to defy true science, they need to go all the way and make Eris the tenth planet. You can't just make up rules to suit you...

lexicon5


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lexicon5
tsukitensh wrote:I was going to argue on behalf of Science,



You can't. "Science" and "Scientists" have been WRONG more than right. Since time began...
Sadly nobody seems to remember. Earth was center of universe...people died if they disagreed. Earth was flat, man will never fly, never break the sound barrier, never walk on the moon, never reach Mars, never reach your beloved Pluto, Pluto isnt a real planet...HA! Remember THAT? $100 says if Pluto was about to crash into earth they'd change their mind.
Remember this when reading or listening to ANY scientist...if they fail to preface their statements with "we are not sure..." or "we cannot be certain..."; they should be ignored. Remember...a scientist said during the initial investigation into the destruction of Shuttle Columbia that foam couldnt have been the cause...days later another scientist proved it could. We never heard for the original anus again.

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
MaxSMoke777 wrote:This shirt is too hasty on all KINDS of things. You could move faster then the speed of light if you could fold space, and that would also allow for seamless "Teleportation", although it wouldn't be the atomic break-down kind of teleportation, it'd be more of the "Pop" and you're there kinda thing. Likewise, if you're folding space, Time-Travel is not outside of the window of opportunity either. Flying Cars and Robot Butlers, that's just plain impatience. They are coming! And don't get me started on Pluto. Atmosphere, 2 moons, COME ON!! Screw you, Europe!

This designer is to Science what a 8 year old yellow belt is to Martial Arts. He/she knows just enough to be a troublesome, but not enough to be helpful.



I could have saved a lot of time and just drawn "folding space" with a big X through it.

kenbuzz


quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
tsukitensh wrote:I miss Pluto



My kid was in a production of "School House Rock LIVE!" this past weekend. One of the numbers in that show was "Interplanet Janet". Several kids came out holding models of the different planets - Jupiter was as large as a beach ball, while Pluto was just a tiny little gumball-sized thing.

When they got to the part of the song where they described the last planets, I found that the lyrics had been updated as well:

"Mars is red and Jupiter's big,
And Saturn shows off its rings.
Uranus is built on a funny tilt
And Neptune is its twin,
And Pluto, little Pluto, was a planet when they wrote this song!"

And with that, the girl holding Pluto popped the gum ball into her mouth and ran off stage.





LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

I think this whole thing is brilliant, but the flying car exhaust really makes me giggle. I don't know why it amuses me so much, but it does.

JustKevin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustKevin

I don't understand this shirt. Is the thanks supposed to be ironic?

The brontosaurus and Pluto were once considered a dinosaur and a planet respectively but because of science we have been able to correctly define these two items and science is indeed to thank. Faster than light travel, flying cars, time travel, teleportaion and robot butlers have not necessarily been excluded by science and if they were to be developed it would actually be directly because of science. While magic and alchemy are fictional, science can and does some amazing things. Scientist are developing bacteria that can produce gold which is a bit like alchemy.

So I guess I don't get why some intelligent yet debunked scientific items appear with some possible future technologies and fictional items all with 'X's on them.

kenbuzz


quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
granthamkk wrote:I live in a part of TX that his highly republican and conservative.


Sigh. Sounds like my kind of zip code.

<---- Bloomington, IN, an island of pot-smoking hippie college town blue in an otherwise red state. At least our basketball team is doing pretty well.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

johnt007871


quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
lexicon5 wrote:You can't. "Science" and "Scientists" have been WRONG more than right. Since time began...
Sadly nobody seems to remember. Earth was center of universe...people died if they disagreed. Earth was flat, man will never fly, never break the sound barrier, never walk on the moon, never reach Mars, never reach your beloved Pluto, Pluto isnt a real planet...HA! Remember THAT? $100 says if Pluto was about to crash into earth they'd change their mind.
Remember this when reading or listening to ANY scientist...if they fail to preface their statements with "we are not sure..." or "we cannot be certain..."; they should be ignored. Remember...a scientist said during the initial investigation into the destruction of Shuttle Columbia that foam couldnt have been the cause...days later another scientist proved it could. We never heard for the original anus again.



Go back to making duck calls. The more science disproves things, the more we learn as humanity. So I assume you have reverted to believing the world is flat, at the center of the universe, and that those 747's buzzing your house are magic?

starczak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starczak

Flying cars are doable. It's the logistics that would be a nightmare!

auctionsaver


quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I was bummed the other year when I found out about Brontosaurus. What boggles my mind is that I think it is still talked about as a real creature in most schools.

For those that do not know, the original head of what was thought to be a brontosaurus was discarded and another four miles away was used because it was thought to be inappropriate in size. It was discovered until years, and years later.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/371/is-it-true-the-brontosaurus-never-really-existed

brilloanddoody


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brilloanddoody

thanks for nothing! Seriously, love the shirt for my 10th grader - he is so not loving science right now - LOL

girlwithglasses


quality posts: 1 Private Messages girlwithglasses

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

Flying cars are in development. There are functional prototypes that exist now.

lalaith


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lalaith

I just ate at the Cheesecake Factory last night! Are you stalking me, Woot??

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
lexicon5 wrote:You can't. "Science" and "Scientists" have been WRONG more than right. Since time began...
Sadly nobody seems to remember. Earth was center of universe...people died if they disagreed. Earth was flat, man will never fly, never break the sound barrier, never walk on the moon, never reach Mars, never reach your beloved Pluto, Pluto isnt a real planet...HA! Remember THAT? $100 says if Pluto was about to crash into earth they'd change their mind.
Remember this when reading or listening to ANY scientist...if they fail to preface their statements with "we are not sure..." or "we cannot be certain..."; they should be ignored. Remember...a scientist said during the initial investigation into the destruction of Shuttle Columbia that foam couldnt have been the cause...days later another scientist proved it could. We never heard for the original anus again.



Earth being the center of the universe was put forth by the Church, NOT science.

Earth was never truly believed to be flat by the time anyone who could be considered a scientist existed. You can see the curvature of the Earth unaided, and at ports it's highly apparent as the ships appear to rise over the horizon.

All of your "Never" comments can just be discarded outright. There is no such concept, as nothing is impossible, just highly improbable.

The problem with Pluto is we found objects that would need to be classified as planets to include Pluto. So the choice was 8 planets or 12. Since Pluto never really did a good job of cleaning out its neighborhood, we got 8.

ArdillaCiega


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega

As a robot butler, I find this shirt very offensive.

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

Mr3dPHD


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mr3dPHD

I'm a graphic artist myself, which probably explains why no one else has complained about this. There is so much detail put into each individual graphic.......but the red X over each one is the same exact image with it's angle and scale slightly changed!!! It would have been SO easy to just make 9 different Xs from scratch! I'm a little bit OCD, so really this is probably beyond minor as far as issues go.

As for the people complaining about the artist jumping the gun or not knowing what he's talking about...come on!!! It's just a little joke! He's making light of it and just trying to entertain. This isn't meant to be taken seriously.

I think it's a friggin awesome shirt, personally.

Woots: 26
Wine.Woots: 3
Kids.Woots: 4
Shirt.Woots: 1
Sellout.Woots: 1
Craps: 6

JiggaWagga


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga

I don't get why flying cars and robot butlers are on here flying cars will come, and has anyone seen ASIMO?

kwaping


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping

Wow, I never realized what a jerk Science is! Thanks, "kevlar51".

walmazan


quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats my friend! Its an awesome shirt!!!

sixbidsolo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sixbidsolo

I would buy this, but it is missing God.

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Once again, content beats skill.
Not complaining. I wouldn't have had my couple o' prints otherwise. Sometimes things get over-thunk.
Good stuff! Funny shirt.
PS, The exclusion (or non-use) of God and Aliens was a good call! IMHO

lompoc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lompoc
Soapie0 wrote:I have to bring up the embarrassing issue of shrinkage. I know, I'm sorry. So, do these shirts shrink? I'd like to stay curvy looking in a woman's shirt and not boxy looking. If the shirt shrinks a little, I'll order the larger size hoping boxy will shrink down to curvy.



I can't answer for I've been ordering short sleeves in Summer measurements. If I could buy long sleeved in Winter measurements (groan), I could reply. Your question is very legitimate, but asked in the wrong thread. I, too, always question sizes before purchasing. There's no steadfast answer. I do know, not all are happy with the newer company being used.

Life, just when you think you have it by the handle, it flips to retaliate!

Lompoc, pronounced correctly as Lompoke. When you hear it on tv said as Lompock, proof they're NOT residents of the area.

jamuspsi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamuspsi
mlvanbie wrote:This is a copy of the T-shirt/poster that goes with this Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/science-ruining-everything-since-1543-an-smbc-coll



This shirt should be taken off of woot. It's a total ripoff of Zach Weiner's work.

Superllama7


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Superllama7
surfphoto wrote:Ha, way to rip off SMBC.



I agree; how is this not plagiarism? Other than pointing out some things that science hasn't yet ruled out

TJMaximus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus
JustKevin wrote:I don't understand this shirt. Is the thanks supposed to be ironic?

The brontosaurus and Pluto were once considered a dinosaur and a planet respectively but because of science we have been able to correctly define these two items and science is indeed to thank. Faster than light travel, flying cars, time travel, teleportaion and robot butlers have not necessarily been excluded by science and if they were to be developed it would actually be directly because of science. While magic and alchemy are fictional, science can and does some amazing things. Scientist are developing bacteria that can produce gold which is a bit like alchemy.

So I guess I don't get why some intelligent yet debunked scientific items appear with some possible future technologies and fictional items all with 'X's on them.



QF(likely)T. How is this not a quality post, Woot? :-P

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
Superllama7 wrote:I agree; how is this not plagiarism? Other than pointing out some things that science hasn't yet ruled out



The similarities are purely coincidental.

a) I submitted this design's first iteration in mid-January--before that Kickstarter launched.

b) This thread is the first I've heard of SMBC. It's a funny comic; but sorry--I just haven't come across it before.

I don't really like being called a plagiarist

ronman101


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronman101
bluejester wrote:For the record, we still have two more years until 2015 when Back to the Future predicted we would have flying cars.

Science still has a chance to pull this one out and call victory.



So, does that mean the Cubs still have a chance to win the world series? Maybe the next shirt will have a balancing scale, Fly Cars versus Cubs World Series WIN! I'm betting on Flying Cars.

AnthonyMastrean


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnthonyMastrean

Aw! But we got the Apatosaurus, nuclear fission, Alpha Centauri Bb, rovers to Mars, electromagnetic trains, and the roomba!

dandylions52


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dandylions52

Haha! This is genius!

AnthonyMastrean wrote:Aw! But we got the Apatosaurus, nuclear fission, Alpha Centauri Bb, rovers to Mars, electromagnetic trains, and the roomba!



tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

kevlar51 wrote:The similarities are purely coincidental.

a) I submitted this design's first iteration in mid-January--before that Kickstarter launched.



I can confirm this. Kevlar and I worked through numerous iterations of this starting in mid-January. There were a lot of steps and input from both Kevlar and us, eventually leading to this final design.

hjander


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hjander
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:I just wasted a half hour browsing through that subreddit. Thanks, Obama.



I did the exact same thing, then came back here and read your comment, literally laughed out loud at work, and people started staring. Thanks, Obama.

williamthecool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamthecool

we have teleportation already, and a flying car. and pluto still exists.

John William Dupree III

laconic


quality posts: 5 Private Messages laconic

Science, it's like that kid that goes around telling all the other kids there is no Easter Bunny.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Congrats on the print today, Kevin!



auctionsaver


quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
laconic wrote:Science, it's like that kid that goes around telling all the other kids there is no Easter Bunny.



I still believe in you pluto and bronto. :'(

polysorbate


quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Science is fun.....With limitations.
They future could be more like Idiocracy, who knows.

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

For the numbers folks:
1253 first day sales

Thanks!

dric200303


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dric200303

-never mind-