laura3773

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laura3773
darkmagician1184 wrote:unrelated to the shirt, I'm still upset what Moffat did.

sort of Spoiler:

The first appearance of River Song was in an episode titled "Silence in the Library," written by Moffat himself. He then brought in a species named "the silence," and it revolved around River, yet he never connected the Library to the arch.

Well, not yet anyway. There's still the whole "Silence will[must] fall when the question is asked" thing floating around.

digitalpuppetmaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages digitalpuppetmaster

Dear Shirt.Woot,

If you start posting more than one Dr. Who shirt per week I will stop shopping here. I'm tired of t-shirt sites being OVERRUN by Dr. miserable meeces.
Thanks!

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4
digitalpuppetmaster wrote:Dear Shirt.Woot,

If you start posting more than one Dr. Who shirt per week I will stop shopping here. I'm tired of t-shirt sites being OVERRUN by Dr. miserable meeces.
Thanks!

OK. Goodbye. Don't let the door smack you too hard on the way out.

Not liking a shirt is one thing, but Touché away!ing there has been too many Doctor Who shirts here is just you being an Chumly. This is the first one in at least two or three months.

Also it's the 50th birthday of Doctor Who, how many of your favorite TV shows are still on the air 50 years later?

lydzz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lydzz
midori4 wrote:OK. Goodbye. Don't let the door smack you too hard on the way out.

Not liking a shirt is one thing, but Touché away!ing there has been too many Doctor Who shirts here is just you being an Chumly. This is the first one in at least two or three months.

Also it's the 50th birthday of Doctor Who, how many of your favorite TV shows are still on the air 50 years later?

you make me want a "like" button!

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
darkmagician1184 wrote:unrelated to the shirt, I'm still upset what Moffat did.

sort of Spoiler:

The first appearance of River Song was in an episode titled "Silence in the Library," written by Moffat himself. He then brought in a species named "the silence," and it revolved around River, yet he never connected the Library to the arch.

Actually it is my understanding that the silence in the library is not referring to The Silence but rather the lack of people. It is just a coincedence.

Lassik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lassik

Thanks!

While i'm not that over dramatic about the situation to where i'm going to threaten to leave the site, I am sick of all the Dr. Who stuff as well.

In the way that people complain about the Zombie craze, i'm tired of all this Dr. Who stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I get people having interest in a show but the TARDis gets way to much play on this site.

I could personally care less about Dr. Who. I've watched the show and it is not interesting in the slightest (just my opinion).

I get it though, If it sells then it sells. Supply and demand. If you have a group of fans willing to TARD it up then be there to take their money.

They say I have Attention Deficit Disorder but i don't th.... Ohh look a kitty!

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus

I've been wondering all weekend:

Is the glow-in-the-dark ink really as invisible by day as it appears in these images?

Lassik

midori4 wrote:Also it's the 50th birthday of Doctor Who, how many of your favorite TV shows are still on the air 50 years later?

That's not really a very accurate or fair statement. You can't seriously believe that this show has been on for 50 years right?... The guy who plays Dr. Who seems a little young to be over 50... :-)

Just because Smallville was based on Superman doesn't mean that Smallville has been on since the creation of Superman.

If you go by that logic then there are several popular shows that have a similar following or longer. That's like saying any Batman series has been on the air for over 50 years just because the the original Batman show aired in the 60's.

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus
Lassik wrote:You can't seriously believe that this show has been on for 50 years right?... The guy who plays Dr. Who seems a little young to be over 50... :-)

He's a Time Lord. Duh.

Lassik

Sardinicus wrote:He's a Time Lord. Duh.

Haha.

I was referring to the actual actor himself.

crystalrowan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crystalrowan
KtCallista wrote:You see a Centurion, I was thinking it's a stylized view of the doctor's hair....

Does anyone want to solve the debate?

I'm definitely going with the doctor. Specifically Matt Smith since his is the era which introduced the Silence.

crystalrowan

Lassik wrote:That's not really a very accurate or fair statement. You can't seriously believe that this show has been on for 50 years right?... The guy who plays Dr. Who seems a little young to be over 50... :-)

Just because Smallville was based on Superman doesn't mean that Smallville has been on since the creation of Superman.

If you go by that logic then there are several popular shows that have a similar following or longer. That's like saying any Batman series has been on the air for over 50 years just because the the original Batman show aired in the 60's.

But you can debate that Doctor Who was never "reinvented" or "rebooted" since the nature of the show itself is that the main character regenerates. It is technically one continuous story line even though there was a break between the 8th and 9th Doctors. People call it NuWho, but really, it's a continuation of the story and the characters, not necessarily a reboot in the way that your Batman and Superman references are.

crystalrowan

midori4 wrote:OK. Goodbye. Don't let the door smack you too hard on the way out.

Love this. I have to agree that threatening to leave the site due to too many occurrences of some specific pop-culture reference that's hugely popular is a bit over dramatic.

How many 80's movie related shirts have been on the site? Princess Bride references? (I know quite a few since I own pretty much all of those, lol). As was later pointed out, if it sells, then there's a demand for it.

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo
anneendicott wrote:Captain Jack Harkness already proved that hanging on to the outside of the TARDIS is a position which will transport one through time with the TARDIS, even all the way to the end of time itself. But that hair does look an awful lot like Conan's.

It isn't a very comfortable journey, what with it being fatal and all. Jack died on that trip.

jefft51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefft51

As far as being transported while on top of the Tardis or the air around it or the pavement under it. If you drive your car somewhere, does the pavement go with it? The air? The psycho murderer on top hangs on no matter how fast you make that turn.

-Jefft

FlyingMouse365

quality posts: 5 Private Messages FlyingMouse365

Thanks to all the votes and editor for chosen this design!

The design was inspired by this.

Lassik

crystalrowan wrote:But you can debate that Doctor Who was never "reinvented" or "rebooted" since the nature of the show itself is that the main character regenerates. It is technically one continuous story line even though there was a break between the 8th and 9th Doctors. People call it NuWho, but really, it's a continuation of the story and the characters, not necessarily a reboot in the way that your Batman and Superman references are.

Fair enough. :-)

plotzlich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plotzlich

Best Shirt Ever.
Have to get one for each daughter and one for myself.
(why is there no Buy 5 option?

rubysoho

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rubysoho
tsukitensh wrote:Excellent! I have been sorely in need of a TARDIS shirt!

Forgive my ignorance, but is the "passenger" a particular character or species I should know?

If you don't know who the passenger is, you are not, in fact, "sorely in need of a Tardis shirt".

Sorry.

elizalishly

quality posts: 20 Private Messages elizalishly
johntracker wrote:
Two questions though.

Why is my credit card saying I ordered two?

...and what are these hash marks on my arm?

Oh, well played.

Just to add my hat to this ring: looks like Matt's hair to me.

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4
crystalrowan wrote:Love this. I have to agree that threatening to leave the site due to too many occurrences of some specific pop-culture reference that's hugely popular is a bit over dramatic.

How many 80's movie related shirts have been on the site? Princess Bride references? (I know quite a few since I own pretty much all of those, lol). As was later pointed out, if it sells, then there's a demand for it.

I hate all the zombie stuff, I don't like zombies, vampires and all that jazz, so I just ignore it. Very simple to do. I bought too many shirts last year and went "Why did I buy this" afterwards, so having all the junk I don't like saves me money. I don't go "This Star Wars shirt has French on it, I'm leaving the site forever now!" I just say I don't like it and then hope the next day is cooler. Which it is, the owl is awesome.

J83pc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages J83pc

Replace the Silence with Captain Jack and you've captured my interest.

Knowing my luck, I'll wear this shirt out (forgetting what is looks like in the dark) and freak myself out every time. Speaking of, where's my marker?

You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
doctor.who

sarahvampgrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahvampgrl
midori4 wrote:I hate all the zombie stuff, I don't like zombies, vampires and all that jazz, so I just ignore it. Very simple to do. I bought too many shirts last year and went "Why did I buy this" afterwards, so having all the junk I don't like saves me money. I don't go "This Star Wars shirt has French on it, I'm leaving the site forever now!" I just say I don't like it and then hope the next day is cooler. Which it is, the owl is awesome.

You know the french was a reference to a famous painting right? "This is not a pipe" tho in french obviously. Google it.

coldzro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coldzro

I know the Editor's comments are usually done with a sense of humor, but this time it sounds like maybe it wasn't meant in a joking way. Which is fine. BUT, if the Editor was serious, then I have to respond, because I think I can give the answer to his/her concern... The Editor wrote, "I'm sorry, but I have to challenge the assumption implicit in this concept. If a humanoid merely crouching atop the Tardis would likewise be transported through time, what about the pavement the Tardis is standing on? What about the air surrounding it?"

First off, I agree with your concern. I don't think that would be possible either. Okay, but, here's the thing: this is just a picture of the Tardis... SOMEWHERE. There's nothing to say that it is, at the moment captured here, traveling through the vortex. It could be anywhere. I think you've made the assumption that it's traveling through time in this picture. The picture doesn't imply it, in my opinion. Now, MAYBE the halo of light around it is supposed to be the vortex... I dunno. But to me, it doesn't look so much like the vortex. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it like that. There are any number of things that could more likely cause that kind of light, instead of the vortex. So, if you want an explanation for this "fatal flaw", then I'd have to say... he's not moving through time at all. He could just be hovering in front of a bright light on a foggy night. It could be anything.

And consider this... if it is your sincere belief that a humanoid on top of the Tardis absolutely COULD NOT be transported through time... then certainly he's not moving through time here... BECAUSE... there's a humanoid on top of the Tardis, which is not possible. Right? Therefore, this MUST be some other scenario.

Me, I love this design, and I'm ordering mine right now. :D

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
minifig81 wrote:It wouldn't matter anyway, because you'd forget.

Spoilers, Sweetie!

-|-|-|-|-
-/-/-/-/-

bargainbourne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne

Conflicted: the night-time scene is awesome, but the day-time one is a bit boring -- seriously, just the TARDIS? Any suggestions?

It also seems a bit weird and overly simplistic that there's no writing at all on the TARDIS.

ps: Yes, the person in the TARDIS is obviously Matt Smith's Doctor, given that the silhouette matches his profile and that the Silence were introduced in his run.

crypto1701

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crypto1701
Lassik wrote:That's not really a very accurate or fair statement. You can't seriously believe that this show has been on for 50 years right?... The guy who plays Dr. Who seems a little young to be over 50... :-)

This is a single show produced from the beginning by the BBC where the actor portraying the main character was is replaceable as part of the canon of the show (the actor changes but the character does not.. Same memories, etc.).. It is indeed considered to be the same show that started back in '63.

If Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat wrote a story together, nobody would live to the end.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
laura3773 wrote:Well, not yet anyway. There's still the whole "Silence will[must] fall when the question is asked" thing floating around.

Really? Because I thought the question was eventually stated to be "Doctor Who?". Y'know, by the beheaded blue merchant/guru/con-man.

crypto1701

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crypto1701

Thanks!

They sell what's popular (didn't this shirt win by vote?) and Doctor Who has become VERY popular and gains more popularity every day. Why would Woot turn their back on a pop culture cash cow because a single person states they are sick of it? The answer is THEY WON'T. I'm assuming that you're not going to pay them for lost revenue if they stop making Doctor Who shirts, so I doubt they could care less if you went away.

Talk about a case of over inflated self importance..

If Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat wrote a story together, nobody would live to the end.

danncer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danncer
Jonas4321 wrote:I have a couple of thoughts on this-
- Why would it be the Centurian?
- Even more so, why a court jester???
- The figure in the TARDIS is drawn stylized (look at the hand) while the Silence is drawn more true to form (this lack of continuity bothers me a bit, though I can understand that a silhouette of the Doctor would need to be stylized somewhat to make him recognizable as a specific character).

Given that, it makes sense (to me anyway) it's the Doctor in there.

I agree that it would make no sense for the figure to be a court jester, which is why I wanted flyingmouse to clarify who it actually is. I also noticed the stylized hand (which I also don't care for given The Silence's true to form style) and agree that it's probably the 11th Doctor. The fact that the identity of the figure inside isn't clearly recognizable (as evidenced by the "debate") may be enough to keep me from buying this shirt, but the rest of the design is so creative that I'll probably give in and order one later today.

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a closet full of t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

danncer

crypto1701 wrote:If Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat wrote a story together, nobody would live to the end.

Great sig and very true, which is one of the reasons I love pretty much everything created, written, directed, and/or produced by either of them.

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a closet full of t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I think it's obvious the two figures represent Chino and Maynard

Passenger

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

danncer

midori4 wrote:Not liking a shirt is one thing, but Touché away!ing there has been too many Doctor Who shirts here is just you being an Chumly. This is the first one in at least two or three months.

To be fair to the "Who h8rs," this is the third Doctor Who shirt in the last three months. I own Time Travel Is Cool which, as of today, is #11 in The Top 20, and I almost bought CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! which technically debuted just over 3 months ago, but, since it's Christmas-themed, I'm including it because it's such a cool design and Christmas Eve was three months ago today.

danncer

Lassik wrote:While i'm not that over dramatic about the situation to where i'm going to threaten to leave the site, I am sick of all the Dr. Who stuff as well.

In the way that people complain about the Zombie craze, i'm tired of all this Dr. Who stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I get people having interest in a show but the TARDis gets way to much play on this site.

I think you must be thinking of another shirt site because there have only been 10 Doctor Who-themed shirts printed by shirt woot! in its entire history and only 2 TARDIS-themed shirts since the beginning of the year. Sure, there are a lot of Who-related derby entries, but not many actually get printed.

danncer

tsukitensh wrote:Excellent! I have been sorely in need of a TARDIS shirt!

bargainbourne wrote:Conflicted: the night-time scene is awesome, but the day-time one is a bit boring -- seriously, just the TARDIS? Any suggestions

Shirt.Woot has printed at least 5 TARDIS shirts. One is still in the Top 20, and the other four can be printed to order. My favorite is Relative Dimensions, followed by the classic It Came Out of Nowhere, and I'm thinking about ordering Surfer Who? in a Men's 2XL as a bathing suit cover-up.

Just click on the "all designs" link in the shirtwoot! header above and enter "doctor who" in the search field to find all 10 Doctor Who shirts plus eight others with the word "who" in their titles.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Thanks!

Dramatic Wooter is dramatic.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

zmster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zmster

Plus, as goofy at it was, there was a passenger* who "rode" the outside of the TARDIS, so it's cannon.
**Spoiler** only if you haven't' seen all 10th Doctor eps:

*CJH
yes, he's immortal, but...
clearly TS can breath underwater so we don't know what they need to be able to sustain life.

coldzro wrote:I know the Editor's comments are usually done with a sense of humor, but this time it sounds like maybe it wasn't meant in a joking way. Which is fine. BUT, if the Editor was serious, then I have to respond, because I think I can give the answer to his/her concern... The Editor wrote, "I'm sorry, but I have to challenge the assumption implicit in this concept. If a humanoid merely crouching atop the Tardis would likewise be transported through time, what about the pavement the Tardis is standing on? What about the air surrounding it?"

First off, I agree with your concern. I don't think that would be possible either. Okay, but, here's the thing: this is just a picture of the Tardis... SOMEWHERE. There's nothing to say that it is, at the moment captured here, traveling through the vortex. It could be anywhere. I think you've made the assumption that it's traveling through time in this picture. The picture doesn't imply it, in my opinion. Now, MAYBE the halo of light around it is supposed to be the vortex... I dunno. But to me, it doesn't look so much like the vortex. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it like that. There are any number of things that could more likely cause that kind of light, instead of the vortex. So, if you want an explanation for this "fatal flaw", then I'd have to say... he's not moving through time at all. He could just be hovering in front of a bright light on a foggy night. It could be anything.

And consider this... if it is your sincere belief that a humanoid on top of the Tardis absolutely COULD NOT be transported through time... then certainly he's not moving through time here... BECAUSE... there's a humanoid on top of the Tardis, which is not possible. Right? Therefore, this MUST be some other scenario.

Me, I love this design, and I'm ordering mine right now. :D

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
danncer wrote:Shirt.Woot has printed at least 5 TARDIS shirts. One is still in the Top 20, and the other four can be printed to order. My favorite is Relative Dimensions, followed by the classic It Came Out of Nowhere, and I'm thinking about ordering Surfer Who? in a Men's 2XL as a bathing suit cover-up.

Just click on the "all designs" link in the shirtwoot! header above and enter "doctor who" in the search field to find all 10 Doctor Who shirts plus eight others with the word "who" in their titles.

Thanks, love the Surfer Who shirt with obvious Tom Baker reference!

librarylady61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages librarylady61

Thanks!

Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

I for one would love more Dr Who, more Star Wars and more Python related shirts if they are done with the wit that the winners here generally show.

This is a shopping site. Feel free to vote with your $$, but somehow I doubt that your business and yours alone is helping Woot turn a profit.

nutrageous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutrageous