tracker1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tracker1
prncofdrknes wrote:now i just write OOP stuff.

Psh... OOP is so 1995... the cool kids have moved on to asynchronous functional programming patterns.

-- Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info

dogrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogrrl

Umm, wow, have any of you ever been laid? Btw - virtual reality doesn't count!

AgentSmith5150

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AgentSmith5150
Wyatt8 wrote:and .. I was the first of my craft to be contracted by a major corporation to do on-line "stage appearances" on the fledgling networks:
Apple Talk
PC Link
and
Q-link for Commodore
before they all morphed into
AOL

no graphics, large numbers of people, all over the place, reading my every word ... and chatting with each other...

ROFL, I was one of those people on Q-Link back in the day! Before social networking was social networking

pragmatist007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pragmatist007
Wyatt8 wrote:and .. I was the first of my craft to be contracted by a major corporation to do on-line "stage appearances" on the fledgling networks:
Apple Talk
PC Link
and
Q-link for Commodore
before they all morphed into
AOL

no graphics, large numbers of people, all over the place, reading my every word ... and chatting with each other...

and charging by the minute.

CavalierX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CavalierX

Ha, ha... that reminds me of the terrible movie Time Chasers (MUCH better in the MST3K version) in which a Commodore64 powers the time machine... built into a Cessna. Who knew that 5 1/4" floppy disks could control time?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Chasers

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

Bill Cosby is to 994A as William Shatner is to....

Anyhow, we used to use the Commodore 64 as a data aquisition computer using basic. We made our own 16 channel AD converter for it. The Commodore 64 was extremely capable and the propgrmmers who wrote for it knew how to keep tight code because of the mimmited memory available.

I also programmed in HPL on the HP9825A. it was a BASIC like language

0: dim A$[50]
1: "This "&"is a test" ->A$
2: dsp A$;wait 1000
3: A$&" in caps"->A$
4: dsp cap(A$)
5: end

it was a 16 bit computer in the 1970's that HP called a calculator. DSP would display to the LED display and PRT would print to the thermal printer.

When my boss let me take this home and teach myself to progrm, I stayed up through the night until I came back a programmer.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

great design--congrats Tony!

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Wow, that's a fancy BASIC dialect. My first BASIC machine had 16k 12-bit words of core memory shared across 4 ASR-33 teletypes, and we saved programs on paper tape. Good days.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
AgentSmith5150 wrote:ROFL, I was one of those people on Q-Link back in the day! Before social networking was social networking

That's nothing. The CDC PLATO system had email, discussion forums, instant messaging, and massively multiplayer graphic gaming in the 1970's. Though only at a few universities.

logicalmind84

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicalmind84

CTRL+C Would have escaped out of the loop! However, I love this shirt, I first learned how to be a geek on BASIC. Two shirts, two days in a row, insta-buys.

mytdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mytdawg

I bought a TI99/4A on clearance at Highland Appliance for $50. Spent several days reading the manual and programming it to do something pointless, random colored squares or some such thing. Had no storage or other options so I just sort of turned it off and never played with it again.

Took a couple programming classes and discovered that I found programming extremely tedious. Not my thing. Have had to clean up a few scripts in my day though.

I did beat Zork though so there's that. Much like programming the TI, that was the end of my gaming career.

tmdowling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tmdowling

Somebody please explain this to me: is the fatal loop due to the fact that 10 != 1O?

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139

I loved my C64. We used to program cute little choose-your-own adventure games on it. My original C64 had a cassette tape drive!

LOAD
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

Insert signature here.

aliebowi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aliebowi

Cool! Reminds me of a similar (but definitely distinct) shirt that I already own:

http://glarkware.com/adult/i-rock-at-basic

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM
dogrrl wrote:Umm, wow, have any of you ever been laid? Btw - virtual reality doesn't count!

Were you rejected by a geek? I mean, sometimes these things just don't work out.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett

Still have my 64, first computer I played a game on was a Sperry/Univac 900. Thing took up an entire room, my after school job was running JCL batch jobs.

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

I'm trying to provide an example in C++ but woots servers keep taking a crap

dayohmyboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dayohmyboy
chasbas wrote:[quote postid="5397424" user="psm321"]

You don't need the third IF statement. In the interests of speeding up the program that should just be a straight GOTO.

In what BASIC can you randomize the RND function by calling it? My understanding is that RANDOMIZE N does the randomizing, and the parameter to RND is optional or ignored.

When I took computer programming back in high school 1982, we automatically lost 10 points for a straight GOTO! Foul! Hardy Har Har on you!

Still have my Apple IIe with the extended memory 80 column card! That was cutting edge in 1983!

What would $1700 in 1983 dollars be worth today?

That Guy

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

is c++ coding not allowed on comments section??

cygnwulf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cygnwulf
dayohmyboy wrote:

What would $1700 in 1983 dollars be worth today?

According to http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

$1,700 of 1983 dollars would be worth: $3,917.05 in 2012

I didn't learn basic BASIC, my first exposure to programming was QBASIC, and the blue shirt is the perfect color. Gorrillas.bas for the win!

hollygetz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollygetz
psm321 wrote:Here's a playable version of the guessing game in the description as requested. I took the liberty of stripping out the lying... I like my computers to be honest.

Play here: http://www.calormen.com/applesoft/

and here i thought it would be to substitute x for x% and guess$ for guess@. Its been a while.

hollygetz

... are we having fun here or what?

hrford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hrford
neuropsychosocial wrote:BASIC was the first and only computer language I learned to code! I really loved it, but my parents discouraged it because there was no future in writing computer code. Riiiight.

Odysseyroc, this is wonderful. I particularly love that the subtle reference to the Blue Screen of Death! Nice choice of color.

See and I went to TARDIS blue with time travel. . .

wizardnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizardnj

Sorry Late entry hehe
I know it works just typed it on my C64 sitting here on desk at work

10 print "welcome to my guessing game! ";
11 print "i bet you can't guess ";
12 print "the number i'm thinking of!"
13 print "it's between 1 and 10!"
15 a% = rnd(-ti)
20 x% = (rnd(1) * 10) + 1
30 input "what is your guess"; y%
33 if y% > x% goto 40
36 if y% < x% goto 50
39 if y% = x% goto 60
40 print "nope! that's too high!"
45 goto 30
50 print "nope! that's too low!"
55 goto 30
60 print "you guessed it! let's play again"
61 print ""
65 goto 20

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
vjl wrote:Should I admit I still own my Commodore 64? And it still works!

My Apple II+ sits on my desk between my 8-core Linux desktop and my black-and-white TV Pro. Sometimes after hours of Java/Objective-C/C++ programming, it's just nice to drop back to Basic and play around for a bit.

Coug56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coug56

I'm not even close to being a big enough to dork to understand this shirt.

JimDogWoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JimDogWoot

I was about to buy this shirt for nostalgic sake (my first computer was also a Commodore 64), but that code on the shirt won't run!!!

The zero (0) in Line 10 is an alpha "O".

Dissonance

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Dissonance

I still have a working Timex-Sinclair ZX81, a C64, a C128, and an Amiga. Good times!

So....do you remember your peeks and pokes? Time to change the background color!

tmdowling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tmdowling
JimDogWoot wrote:That won't run....the zero (0) in "10" is an alpha "O".

Yeah, I posted about that above -- but not knowing enough about how programs run, I wasn't sure whether that was the *point* of the joke.

bodycount187

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bodycount187
odysseyroc wrote:I only know it, because of Scooter Computer and Mr Chips.

"They've got the answers at their fingertips!"

JimDogWoot

tmdowling wrote:Yeah, I posted about that above -- but not knowing enough about how programs run, I wasn't sure whether that was the *point* of the joke.

Doh, totally missed your comment!! I swear I did a quick glance to see if anyone else had already pointed it out. Yeah I'm not sure if it was done on purpose or not, but I'm guessing no.

wizardnj

Dissonance wrote:I still have a working Timex-Sinclair ZX81, a C64, a C128, and an Amiga. Good times!

So....do you remember your peeks and pokes? Time to change the background color!

then you can add this line to turn lights off hehe
5 poke 53280,0:poke 53281,0

JimDogWoot

tmdowling wrote:Yeah, I posted about that above -- but not knowing enough about how programs run, I wasn't sure whether that was the *point* of the joke.

p.s. to answer your question, it's not a fatal loop....it's probably the first program most of us wrote when we got our C-64 for fun. Except I think mine said "Hello World". The 10 is just a typo and the program wouldn't run at all (you wouldn't get the endless time loop at all).

rfonewatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rfonewatt

Thank you very much -- I never actually thought I would ever purchase a shirt from Woot but it appears I really have no choice now.

I ran one of the largest C-64 BBS' in the world back in the day so this brings back many great memories.

Now to go post a few strategic links on some of the Commodore enthusiast boards I frequent so that nobody misses out on this masterpiece.

For the few that were in to BBS' in the 80's and 90's check this out:

Google BBS Terminal

Thanks again!!

Did someone say WAREZ? ;)

-TDA /FBR /ATC

odysseyroc wrote:This is the geekiest design I've done, and likely the geekiest design I'll ever do. I remember spending hours on my C64, copying wares, playing games, and messing around on the local BBS. This design pretty much sums up everything I've ever known about "coding".

I hope you enjoy this shirt as much as I enjoyed designing it.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
Dissonance wrote:I still have a working Timex-Sinclair ZX81, a C64, a C128, and an Amiga. Good times!

I had the original Sinclair (not Timex) computer, the one that came as a kit. You had to actually solder parts onto the board to assemble it.

wizardnj

rfonewatt wrote:Thank you very much -- I never actually thought I would ever purchase a shirt from Woot but it appears I really have no choice now.

I ran one of the largest C-64 BBS' in the world back in the day so this brings back many great memories.

Now to go post a few strategic links on some of the Commodore enthusiast boards I frequent so that nobody misses out on this masterpiece.

For the few that were in to BBS' in the 80's and 90's check this out:

Google BBS Terminal

Thanks again!!

Did someone say WAREZ? ;)

-TDA /FBR /ATC

Cool Which BBS? Have any of the files left?

tdors

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdors

I don't know that I could buy it with the big mistake on the "1O" line ... walkin' around knowing I'm wearing bad code lol

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
dogrrl wrote:Umm, wow, have any of you ever been laid? Btw - virtual reality doesn't count!

I'm sure you have, by hundreds of different men, in real life.

audient

quality posts: 2 Private Messages audient
note2001 wrote:

Holy smokes, the time loop worked.

I had a TI-99 4/A. All my friends had VIC20 or C64. Even among the geeks, I was a loner.

I still have a couple of TIs in the basement, I think. One in silver and black, one in beige. They're in a bin with a couple of Atari 2600s and a pile of cartridges.

And yes, I even had and learned TI Extended Basic.

seraphire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seraphire
note2001 wrote:

Holy smokes, the time loop worked.

That's the machine I cut my teeth on, and I'm programming professionally now. That was a good investment!

ronman101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronman101
tmdowling wrote:Somebody please explain this to me: is the fatal loop due to the fact that 10 != 1O?

NO! When you execute the command, it is going to RUN forever and all you see is TIME LOOP on your green 12" monitor (Lucky if you had color) until you press the Control and C Key to stop it to get back to the lovely ">" command prompt. It's like looking at infinity!