RandyMillerIII

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RandyMillerIII
ckeilah wrote:This is disrespectful of the the flag and our republic. :-(

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Further reading: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm#q031

Of course, just as it is your right in this country to pick your butt, or to use to use foul language, it is your right to disrespect the flag. But do not be surprised when those who have good manners consider you trashy, rude, and unpatriotic.

Once again, I think this refers to the flag itself and not artistic depictions of the flag. Besides, people that blindly follow every word of codes like this are probably either lawyers...or worse, Bible thumpers.

ninjaspaz06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjaspaz06

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Of course, just as it is your right in this country to pick your butt, or to use to use foul language, it is your right to disrespect the flag. But do not be surprised when those who have good manners consider you trashy, rude, and unpatriotic.

Except that we're not wearing a flag as apparel, we're wearing apparel with an image of a flag constructed from the words of the Declaration in varying colors. A fabulous design in my opinion.

Unfortunately I lack the funds to purchase one at the moment, but I will likely be buying from the backlog at some point in the future.

mikeycooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeycooper
Aracos wrote:Looks like I'll be the first to say if the AA blanks were still being offered as an option, I'd be placing an order. I just don't like the quality of the Anvil tees, so thanks for saving me money again, plus AA would be more fitting for this design.

Why are they not? Obviously I missed something. I came here to buy this only to find that AA is no longer an option. My wife can't stand the fit or the feel or the Anvil woot shirts I got her.

lenoremeeks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lenoremeeks

There is just so much awesomeness in this design. I think Peter Sagal should get a shirt after his Constitution USA documentary.
http://www.pbs.org/tpt/constitution-usa-peter-sagal/home/

billypuppy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billypuppy

Those who would disrespect the flag are the same people who benefit the most from the flag draped caskets that return daily from Afghanistan. There is a human cost to preserve this great republic and protect EVERY Americans right to believe whatever they choose to believe. Patrick Henry's words still ring true today.

"Three generations of imbeciles is enough".
Oliver Wendell Holmes

toefur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toefur

Shirt "NOT MADE IN THE USA". I'd buy it if it was AA, but sadly I'm going to pass.

jimbrady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimbrady
casswoo wrote:I agree completely! I'd definitely buy this tshirt if I could get it from AA. Just doesn't seem right to wear a patriotic tshirt that was manufactured in "Honduras/Nicaragua".

None for me, either. Was waiting for a good design so I could pony up the extra buck and vote with my wallet.

In fairness, I'm guessing the majority of ACTUAL flags hanging by folks' front doors are manufactured abroad as well.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
circusninja wrote:But this is not a flag. This is a printed t-shirt that uses Red, White, and Blue to depict the IMAGE of our ensign.

Great shirt, great document, if only the Curlys running this nation were more familiar with this document...

You may have missed this link: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm#q031

According to the Flag Code, a flag is anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag."

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

goddess8681

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goddess8681

In for 3! We're gonna cheese it up for our fam this 4th. My hubs is a veteran and I'm so proud of him! I think we'll all look pretty damn awesome!

yankeefan1087

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yankeefan1087
ckeilah wrote:Of course, just as it is your right in this country to pick your butt, or to use to use foul language, it is your right to disrespect the flag. But do not be surprised when those who have good manners consider you trashy, rude, and unpatriotic.

I Didn't realize exercising my first amendment rights was "unpatriotic."

intensesupernova

quality posts: 2 Private Messages intensesupernova

Along with many others, I wish the shirt itself was manufactured in the USA.

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot
aoviss wrote:http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Flag code violation.

Hmmm . . . . I wonder if Uncle Sam (or Columbia) (Or their multitude of governmental/military users) were ever fined or reprimanded.

playthingsetc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages playthingsetc
robmaeder wrote:I guess when the American president (this or the former, take your pick) wears an American flag pin at night they're violating flag code too. It's not a flag itself, this is a depiction of the flag, an important distinction which everyone from the top ranks of the US down to trailer parks in Alabama seems to get... well except for you.

Right On!

jasonapawlak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jasonapawlak

This day in 1777, the continental congress adopted the design of the present US Flag. Great day to buy a Woot shirt!

dishee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dishee
Deramedic wrote:I've been a veteran since January. so this will be my first 4th of July since i got out of the Navy. it's also my kids birthday on the 3rd (he's turning two!) ...I'm buying matching sizes for us. It might be cheesy, but I'm proud

THANK YOU for your service to our country. GO NAVY!

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Colored text sure can be fun.

yankeefan1087

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yankeefan1087

Gave in and finally ordered my first anvil design. here's hoping I don't end up hating it as much as some people on these forums...

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
Deramedic wrote:I've been a veteran since January. so this will be my first 4th of July since i got out of the Navy. it's also my kids birthday on the 3rd (he's turning two!) ...I'm buying matching sizes for us. It might be cheesy, but I'm proud

Be proud, we are proud of you and you have earned it.

5spdfrk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 5spdfrk

I haven't bought a shirt.woot that wasn't AA, so with all these comments about the dismal quality of the Anvil shirts, I'm going to have to pass on this one. Too bad, cause I like the design.

ghostpg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostpg

God Bless America!

vernon71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vernon71

§176. Respect for flag

-snip-
-snip-
-snip-

Seems to me that there is a big difference between making a shirt out of the flag to wear to NASCAR and having the flag printed on your shirt.

And, what's up with making a swimsuit out of the flag?!?

hisc1ay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hisc1ay

You can't make a flag and then use it to make clothes, but it doesn't say in the code you can't put a depiction of the flag ON clothes. The gray area is the part about putting text on the flag. What if text IS the flag? They didn't think about that one...

aoviss wrote:http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Flag code violation. Stop being you-know-what-bags. Take those faded and torn mini-flags off your car for good, too. You have them on at night, another violation.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

In case anyone is listening, I am also not buying Anvil... and I'd love to buy this shirt... as a veteran who cringes at car-lot flags that fly 24/7.

CalculatinAvatar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CalculatinAvatar

Trade protectionism is not a particularly American value. Making bad economic decisions like insisting on producing everything domestically is pretty fundamentally un-American, actually.

Voluntary trade is good for those involved, almost by definition. International trade is included in that. In addition to directly increased utility, international trade both inherently encourages peaceful relations and provides a powerful diplomatic carrot.

Incidentally, American manufacturing is doing just fine. Our output is the second largest in the world, having been passed only a couple years back by China, which has triple the population. Furthermore, we make nicer and more advanced things, and we do the engineering and design parts much better. American productivity is just absurdly ahead. Defense manufacturing is the only kind that has any particular reason to be domestic, and it is.

I do wish the Anvil shirts were actually nicer, though.

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot

Oooh - Can I get a T-shirt with the 2nd amendment printed in the shape of an assault weapon?
(With an extra large capacity magazine of course.)

goblynn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goblynn

Not cheesy--appropriate!

joshshaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshshaman

Yea, the flag looks cool. It's just not right that flags and things depicting the flag aren't made in America - Woot used to buy American-made shirts...that's why I rarely ever buy their shirts now.

fklock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fklock
robmaeder wrote:I guess when the American president (this or the former, take your pick) wears an American flag pin at night they're violating flag code too. It's not a flag itself, this is a depiction of the flag, an important distinction which everyone from the top ranks of the US down to trailer parks in Alabama seems to get... well except for you.

Not true. The flag code indicates that if an item contains the colors red, white, and blue, has stars or stripes in any pattern, or in any way even makes you think of the American Flag - The article should be treated with the respect due to the the flag itself.

billypuppy

RandyMillerIII wrote:Once again, I think this refers to the flag itself and not artistic depictions of the flag. Besides, people that blindly follow every word of codes like this are probably either lawyers...or worse, Bible thumpers.

I see that you also believe in diversity and inclusion.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

joshshaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshshaman

§176. Respect for flag

Our flag would be so mad if it ever found out what we did to it! Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop!, this is America people.

tapoutnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tapoutnc

This is written to address an actual American flag. Not a depiction of such.

Source: Military background / education and more so... The American flag patch worn on my uniform.

[
quote postid="5469554" user="ckeilah"]This is disrespectful of the the flag and our republic. :-(

§176. Respect for flag

Of course, just as it is your right in this country to pick your butt, or to use to use foul language, it is your right to disrespect the flag. But do not be surprised when those who have good manners consider you trashy, rude, and unpatriotic.[/quote]

CalculatinAvatar

Taking your advice on how to treat the flag from the flag code, which was ruled unconstitutional as written, is pretty disturbing, too. I'd rather take tips on patriotism from those who can and have read the Constitution for meaning.

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
5spdfrk wrote:I haven't bought a shirt.woot that wasn't AA, so with all these comments about the dismal quality of the Anvil shirts, I'm going to have to pass on this one. Too bad, cause I like the design.

I'm in the same boat, do the Anvil tees fit larger than the AA tees? like if I usually order XL in AA should I get L in the Anvil tee?

billypuppy

I think that I'd probably be severely chastised, if not lynched, if I were to disrespect the "rainbow" flag. We have now officially stepped through the looking glass.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

prestable

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prestable
CalculatinAvatar wrote:Trade protectionism is not a particularly American value. Making bad economic decisions like insisting on producing everything domestically is pretty fundamentally un-American, actually.

Voluntary trade is good for those involved, almost by definition. International trade is included in that. In addition to directly increased utility, international trade both inherently encourages peaceful relations and provides a powerful diplomatic carrot.

Incidentally, American manufacturing is doing just fine. Our output is the second largest in the world, having been passed only a couple years back by China, which has triple the population. Furthermore, we make nicer and more advanced things, and we do the engineering and design parts much better. American productivity is just absurdly ahead. Defense manufacturing is the only kind that has any particular reason to be domestic, and it is.

I do wish the Anvil shirts were actually nicer, though.

Right on! International trade built this country! What if the Europeans in the 18th century decided that it was "unpatriotic" to buy tobacco (or whiskey or rum etc.) that wasn't produced in Europe? America's economy would have stagnated, and there wouldn't have been a thriving middle class that produced the likes of Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, Samuel Adams, and Benjamin Franklin.

CalculatinAvatar

billypuppy wrote:I think that I'd probably be severely chastised, if not lynched, if I were to disrespect the "rainbow" flag. We have now officially stepped through the looking glass.

Do you think that publicly burning the American flag in most of the USA would draw not a word of protest? Are you seriously complaining that taking a homophobic action would likely prompt others to complain? Are you comparing your problem of being unable to express bigotry without hearing dissent to the plight of black Americans murdered by racist mobs?

Read what you wrote and take a moment to actually think about it.

stooterboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stooterboy
billypuppy wrote:It's too bad that your "humorous" description of this shirt was allowed to be posted. I, for one, am thankful that Jefferson's words have endured for 237 years and that your writers will only last for 237 minutes.

Agree 100% and would be nice if it was on an American made shirt. Come on guys

amhancock22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amhancock22

While I love the shirt, I hate what is written in the description. The way that Woot has re-written the Declaration of Independence:

"...Seemed a bit vague. We added some details.

We think this is obvious: All people are created equal in some ways (not completely equally, obviously, or there would be no variation), that they are endowed by whatever process is responsible for human life with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Also some other things that we can't get to here."

Yes we are all equal and different AND we are endowed by our Creator, that is what makes each of our lives precious. We do not just exist out of nothing and with no purpose. We have been created by a loving and just God. If you don't like what our country stands on, perhaps you should find another home. Please don't alter in jest what men have died to maintain.

humongous

quality posts: 2 Private Messages humongous

tried to order 3 but all would have to be same size. . . used to be able to order different sizes. wut happened?

the humongous

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig

Was it just me or did I see a partial transcript of my last phone call within the third red stripe???