krittikae

quality posts: 19 Private Messages krittikae

I'm a little ashamed that it took me so long to realize it was a reference to "Knowing is Half the Battle". I guess in my case, knowing only about 1/4 of the battle.

kenfuji2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenfuji2001

Msth is def. incorrect, but I love it.

IMHO it should be Knowing = Battle/2

str8juice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages str8juice

It's quite humorous to see how many Wooters don't know basic algebra.

bitserve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bitserve

My best friend always says "And knowing is half the battle, according to G.I. Joe," and I would have bought him this shirt, except like many have pointed out, the math is wrong.

The equation would be:

knowledge + battle/2 = battle

To solve for knowledge:

knowledge = battle/2

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
kenfuji2001 wrote:Msth is def. incorrect, but I love it.

Wait, so you think the math is wrong and then put up,the exact same equation?!?

If Knowing = Battle/2

Then Knowing = Battle ÷ 2

Therefore Battle ÷ 2 = Knowing

Which means, the shirt's math is correct!

ETA: I really wish I could buy this shirt. The math geek in me would love to have this exact conversation while explaining the shirt.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

The comments today are keeping me entertained! I think they're also giving me a math headache. Thanks to all the math/GI Joe fans for buying one and to woot for choosing my print today.

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
kenfuji2001 wrote:Msth is def. incorrect, but I love it.

Flipping the sides each equation appears around the equal sign doesn't make the math incorrect.

fontraid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fontraid
xyon wrote:Love the idea and general design, and the math is fine, but I am a little disappointed that it's set up as "half the battle is knowing" rather than "knowing is half the battle".

+1

Bishop282

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bishop282
xyon wrote:Love the idea and general design, and the math is fine, but I am a little disappointed that it's set up as "half the battle is knowing" rather than "knowing is half the battle".

Agree. I too wish the equation was reversed.

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper

GI Joe is a TV show?

I just thought it was a Ken doll for boys. I had the GI Joe space set. It came with a 45 of actual flight communications of one of the Mercury flights.

I still have the 45 but not the doll or the space capsule.

Correct math or not I had no idea what this shirt was about and assumed it was yet another video game reference that I wouldn't get.

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

eseses wrote:It said
Knowing Math
by fishbiscuit5
$12.00–$25.00

which I thought was a sneaky way of saying that it was free AND woot would send me $13 if I bought it. Because I understand the math of subtraction.

It's actually an en-dash as recommended by most style guides for use in numerical ranges. Now you know, and knowing is like a quarter of something or whatever that saying is.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
dtran01 wrote:i dont see where the math is incorrect in the original shirt

To be read "properly," it should be Knowing = Battle /2

The other Battle /2 would be half red lasers, half blue lasers, and half pork-chop sandwiches.

theco2

quality posts: 45 Private Messages theco2

Ok, people. It's just a t-shirt; a very clever t-shirt, but still a t-shirt. You guys are going to hurt yourself, with all the thinking you're doing.

And being a big fan of G.I. Joe, as a kid, I have to have one of these.

mynameisraych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mynameisraych

I would order this but I don't know which tshirt I would get...the first one...which is CORRECT or the second one which is WRONG.

Knowing is half the battle. Is always means = so...

knowing = 1/2(The Battle) The 2nd version is battle = knowing^2 which is dumb.

A perfect version would be

KNOWING = 1/2(BATTLE)

Go Joe!

superclean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superclean

Does anyone know how the hoodies generally fit? Run big or small, especially after washing/drying? Nothing looks worse than an undersized hood sweatshirt on a guy. I generally get the medium T-shirts. Should I get medium or large?

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
superclean wrote:Does anyone know how the hoodies generally fit? Run big or small, especially after washing/drying? Nothing looks worse than an undersized hood sweatshirt on a guy. I generally get the medium T-shirts. Should I get medium or large?

If you head here and scroll down toward the bottom, there'll be a sizing chart that should help.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Geethatsgr8

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Geethatsgr8

I love this shirt regardless of the math. I would hope that anyone who sees you wearing it wouldn't have time to really "do the math".

They'd either get the joke or they wouldn't, and if they do, you could walk away quickly before they start scratching their heads trying to figure it out... and let them discuss it with their friends instead of holding YOU up.

RogerRabt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RogerRabt

Everyone arguing that B=K+K is wrong just haven't watched politicians much. Two people who "KNOW" opposite things, makes for quite a battle.

Best woots: 7/12/2007 3xRandom b-day carp
6/1/2007 Be The Screaming Monkey, a Woot Tee
4/27/2007 Screaming Monkey with Black Woot Cape !Wootoff!
10/11/2006 Archos AV500 30GB Portable Media Player
7/7/2006 Magellan RoadMate 360 GPS Navigation System

idiompeddler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idiompeddler
blue_94_trooper wrote:GI Joe is a TV show?

I just thought it was a Ken doll for boys. I had the GI Joe space set. It came with a 45 of actual flight communications of one of the Mercury flights.

Based on a quick google search, looks like the G I Joe set you're referring to is from 1962. The TV show that this shirt is poking fun at was from the mid-80s and helped launch the action figure craze that continued through the 90s. The design of the toys changed drastically, they were no longer the Ken Doll for boys but were much smaller and more detailed. The designs were much more futuristic, not to mention violent, and each Joe had his own personality, set of unique skills, etc. Additionally, there was an extensive collection of vehicles, weapons, buildings and other accessories to go with the action figures.

It wouldn't be entirely inaccurate to say they created an entirely new line of toys, inspired by the explosion-fueled action movies of the 80's, but used the name G I Joe for brand recognition.

Source: born in '82.

lgriceboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lgriceboy
evillepaintball wrote:It isn't. Knowing is half of a battle. So half of a battle = 1 knowing.

You just proved his point that he was correct. Knowing is half the battle. So, 1 Knowing = 1/2 Battle. Therefore, the t-shirt is correct. Knowing = Battle (divided by) 2.

It's like saying 25 is half the 50. so 25 = 50 (divided by) 2.

dim knowing as integer
dim battle as integer

battle = 50
knowing = battle / 2

debug.print knowing

{Immediate Window}

jaminmarsh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaminmarsh
djdanx wrote:Because it references GI Joe.

And because it is kinda funny.

And it is a geek test.

And a conversation starter.

There you go. At least three good reasons to buy!

Exactly, look at the conversation started by the post alone. In 4 one.

Jmillspaysbills

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jmillspaysbills

Guys, you're missing the point. It's not an EQUATION, it's more like a RECIPE!

Knowing is only half the battle, just like rice is only half of rice and beans. The other half are the beans!

While knowing might be half the battle, two knowings doesn't make a full battle. The other part of the battle is whooping up on Cobra, or something else they were never quite clear about. I'm still not sure what the other half of the battle is.

So, 2Rice does not equal Rice&Beans, Rice+Beans = Rice&Beans; Which I guess is an equation afterall. Maybe we should be trying to solve for X? Whatever.

I don't know how you'd design that shirt, though. Either way, this shirt is awesome.

WEEEEM BA BUUUUM YEEEEAAAAH!

Jmillspaysbills

pakopako wrote:To be read "properly," it should be Knowing = Battle /2

The other Battle /2 would be half red lasers, half blue lasers, and half pork-chop sandwiches.

now THAT is a shirt I would buy!

Jmillspaysbills

So in case some people are wondering what all of these people talking about "pork chop sandwiches" are referring to, it's the most amazing set of videos ever produced for the internet.

I'm sure most of them are on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
idiompeddler wrote:Based on a quick google search, looks like the G I Joe set you're referring to is from 1962. The TV show that this shirt is poking fun at was from the mid-80s .

Actually mine was just like this one that claims to be from '66. The silver eventually peeled off the space suit but that left it white which made it look more like the Apollo space suits any way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1966-GI-Joe-Official-Space-Capsule-with-Pilot-and-Authentic-Space-Suit-/181196087293

Except my 45 was pressed on orange vinyl. I'm pretty sure that I got it in '69 or '70.

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

I think the best part of this shirt is that it's not spelled out in order, but requires a little thought.

dseanadams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dseanadams

Staff

Guys! Guys! The stuff in the write-up is a joke. Don't worry! You won't be getting my crappily photoshopped version of Fishbiscuit5's awesome design.

That being said, my math is absolutely correct.

star84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages star84

It's wrong because
Battle / 2 = Knowledge
is the same as
Knowledge + Knowledge = Battle
which is the same as
Battle = 100% Knowledge.

Knowledge = .5(Battle)
means the same (i.e., incorrect) but at least it reads properly.
Knowledge + X = Battle
is better but doesn't get the "half" across. Solving for X would be a good conversation starter though obviously.

rschuhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rschuhart
star84 wrote:It's wrong because
Battle / 2 = Knowledge
is the same as
Knowledge + Knowledge = Battle
which is the same as
Battle = 100% Knowledge.

Knowledge = .5(Battle)
means the same (i.e., incorrect) but at least it reads properly.
Knowledge + X = Battle
is better but doesn't get the "half" across. Solving for X would be a good conversation starter though obviously.

Correct! Subtraction, not division. 2(Knowing) != Battle. Battle - Knowing = the other half of some mysterious ingredient...which is NOT the same as knowing.

I should know, I did the Live The Adventure challenge as a kid and am a Commander in GI Joe.

Boom!

suththestud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suththestud

Since it was a math shirt, when it said $12-$25 I thought they were paying you $13 to take the shirt!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Half the battle is refreshing! *F5spams*

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 2m 10.441s
First Sucker: richinhouston
Last Wooter to Woot: naich
Last Purchase: 4 minutes ago

First day sales 1496
First day posts 70

theco2

quality posts: 45 Private Messages theco2

I just received this shirt, yesterday. I've come to the conclusion:
Knowing Math design + silver t-shirt = PERFECTION!

I don't think the color could have been any better, for this design.

fishbiscuit, you're a genius!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
theco2 wrote:I just received this shirt, yesterday. I've come to the conclusion:
Knowing Math design + silver t-shirt = PERFECTION!

I don't think the color could have been any better, for this design.

fishbiscuit, you're a genius!

I'm so pleased you like it! :D
I was excited to see how well they printed too. Can't wait to wear my hoodie!

acraigl

quality posts: 35 Private Messages acraigl

After last night's episode of Community, I really want this. They really outdid themselves.