woocls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woocls

If I don't get the references as a geek, I'm going to constantly be explaining it. This shirt is a bust IMO. Should have chosen more iconic foods instead of obscure references.

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
woocls wrote:If I don't get the references as a geek, I'm going to constantly be explaining it. This shirt is a bust IMO. Should have chosen more iconic foods instead of obscure references.

If this shirt were a Reddit post, it would constantly be followed by that gif from the Avengers of Cap saying "I got that reference".

I'm not a fan of shirts that are merely just a reference. I want something clever and unique.

dotcomaphobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dotcomaphobe
eastcobbler wrote:The European go-between/connection chick in Breaking Bad...doesn't she always order Earl Grey with stevia?

Her name's Lydia, and she seems to prefer Chamomile tea with soy milk and extra Stevia.

And I second the fact that the Dr Who entry should've been fish fingers and custard. :D

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin
sgaon wrote:I refuse to believe there is one single person who belongs to all of these fandoms. (Or that Pulp Fiction has a fandom.)

I am a member of that fandom, thank you very much, and I am neither a film major nor an actor. Furthermore, I do not believe Pulp Fiction fits into the "Geek" category like all of the others referenced on this shirt. That royale with cheese should be on a shirt titled "Awesomely Cool Food."

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

Hi Everyone!
I am the artist who created this shirt. It's my first print here!

Thanks for all the comments, I see there's some confussion and well... some complaints.
Lemon cakes are indeed from Game of Thrones. And Earl Grey Tea from Star Trek (although I understand that the tea is common in other movies too).

Anyway, thanks for buying and commenting

ncginger2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncginger2000
wassamatta_u wrote:What? No Jammie Dodgers?

There was a comment that the souffle is Doctor Who. If so, I'm not remembering the reference. Fish fingers and custard, Jammie Dodgers or Jelly Babies might have been a more obvious link. :-)

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

but the cake is a lie

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

blaineg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
sidneyanne wrote:What's the fun in a shirt that no one understands?

Quite a lot, actually.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/5aa9/

I expect most people to not get that one, but I'm amazed at how many people this one confuses:

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper

Po-Ta-Toes

dkinskey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkinskey
ncginger2000 wrote:There was a comment that the souffle is Doctor Who. If so, I'm not remembering the reference. Fish fingers and custard, Jammie Dodgers or Jelly Babies might have been a more obvious link. :-)

Souffle is Doctor Who if you've watched the most recent season. The new companion is obsessed with making souffles and doesn't know why, and its a link between different appearances of her. Fish fingers and custard or Jammie Dodgers should have been used in my opinion though, less obscure, more fun to say!

blue_94_trooper

"Plate o' Shrimp"

but since we never actually see a plate of shrimp maybe...

blue_94_trooper

I do know that the pizza is from Rock 'N' Roll High School.

bickle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bickle
jjdarling wrote:I'm pretty sure the Earl Grey Tea is a reference to Weird Al's "You keep your 40 I'll just have an Earl Gray Tea" from the song "White and Nerdy"

Weird Al was referencing Star Trek TNG there.

cozmikforz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cozmikforz
alanbbent wrote:Haha, when I was studying computer science, every recruiter knew that CS students will !do anything for !free pizza or a !free t-shirt. So, you know, !good combo here.

FTFY

stormshadow999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stormshadow999
amlee1978 wrote:I thought souffle was from European Vacation, but I don't know Dr Who so that's probably right.

On this site, it's ALWAYS Dr. Who (sigh)

phanorkner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phanorkner
cycowolf wrote:Earl Grey Tea is Captain Picard's drink of choice on Star Trek The Next Generation. I truly believe that is more likely the source and not just one Weird Al song. Love Weird Al but the Star Trek one is the right one.

I believe the "White and Nerdy" quote is referring to STNG. Hence the Nerdy.

greenmolloy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmolloy
aquastardreamer wrote::dances:
Bacon Pancakes! Make'n bacon pancakes! Bacon pancakes thats what I'm gonna make. Take some bacon and put it in a pancake. Bacon pancakes make'n bacon pancakes.
BACON PANCAAAAAKKKEESSSS!

(sorry, I had to)

You got the lyrics a bit mixed up. ;)

skopi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skopi

I would like a cup of damn fine coffee or maybe some cherry pie

TCayer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer
blue_94_trooper wrote:I do know that the pizza is from Rock 'N' Roll High School.

The Ramones are too cool for geeks, therefore it's from TMNT! ONLY geeks like THAT!

greenmolloy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmolloy

So I believe some better choices would have been Lager and Vindaloo or perhaps a smoked Kipper. And the always classic 1lb coconut.

antnip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antnip
eastcobbler wrote:The European go-between/connection chick in Breaking Bad...doesn't she always order Earl Grey with stevia?

Isn't she all chamomile?

krdshrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krdshrk

It should be Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

Also how could you forget Spaghetti Tacos, Romulan Ale, Bantha Milk, Slurm, Popplers, and of course, Soylent Green?

sirlouie

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sirlouie

Of course Soufflé is Doctor Who, but here is my second favorite reference to it. It's at about 2:31 in this video:

A new safe word?

Interesting Note: This video is a Bad Lip Reading video. It's a video (actually two videos mashed together of Lucacris and the Bee Gees) that had its audio muted, and completely new (though often nonsensical) lyrics AND music dubbed over the existing lip movements. It's truly an incredible thing.

-SL

Themiscyra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Themiscyra

Bah! "Earl Grey tea," not "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot"? BLASPHEMY! Unleash the Picard fans!

RayKremer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RayKremer
ncginger2000 wrote:There was a comment that the souffle is Doctor Who. If so, I'm not remembering the reference. Fish fingers and custard, Jammie Dodgers or Jelly Babies might have been a more obvious link. :-)

Yeah, it's kind of problematic. The souffle was mentioned in all of two episodes and I totally forgot about it until someone here mentioned Doctor Who. Fish fingers and custard is more memorable because it's weird but again it was just in one episode. Jelly Babies were constantly referenced, much like Picard spent the entire series ordering Earl Grey, but is from one of the older doctors that a lot of people these days haven't watched much of.

So many of these are potentially unspecific, pizza is pretty universal regardless of the Ninja Turtles, and it was the cheesy 80s version of them that focused on it so heavily.

blue_94_trooper

TCayer wrote:it's from TMNT!

I had to Google "TMNT".

Buffbill_ox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buffbill_ox
tensionhead wrote:i was hoping for some milksteak

Yum... milk steak goes great with boiled denim.

Emerson iTone iPod Docking Station - Woot Cellars Polyphemus - 9 Random Craps! - Nike Nano Armband - 3 Monkeys - Emergency Roadside Kits - Bacon Salt - Flashing woot off lights - Tons of woot shirts

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138
sgaon wrote:I refuse to believe there is one single person who belongs to all of these fandoms. (Or that Pulp Fiction has a fandom.)

I saw Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption (in the theater) on the same day. The next day I saw Brian Michael Bendis at a con and his opinion was Shawshank would hold up better. I still like Pulp Fiction better, but Shawshank is repeated so often more people have probably seen it.

bptakoma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bptakoma
K2112S wrote:No tea In Hitchhiker,s was just tea (a good source of Brownian motion)

Capt Picard always ordered Earl Grey Hot!

hm, then why the Mrs. Adams in the intro?

psuclaus1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psuclaus1

I had to Google "TMNT".
Lol - geek card revoked!

Personally - I think Adventure Time is a horrible hyperactive cartoon & not worthy of geek worship.

woaikonglong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woaikonglong
zekecatz wrote:Souffle = Doctor Who

Huh? Would have thought fish fingers and custard...

Changing the world... one asylum at a time...

woaikonglong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woaikonglong

Personally would have liked to see blue milk instead of one of the food, not enough drink options.

I agree this one is a bit obscure.

Changing the world... one asylum at a time...

Cloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cloud
psuclaus1 wrote:I had to Google "TMNT".
Lol - geek card revoked!

Personally - I think Adventure Time is a horrible hyperactive cartoon & not worthy of geek worship.

I too had to google TMNT, but that's probably because real geeks only use TLAs. Can I keep my card?

smileyfaceman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smileyfaceman

I thought the pizza was Pac-Man.

trekkie4christ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trekkie4christ
cycowolf wrote:Earl Grey Tea is Captain Picard's drink of choice on Star Trek The Next Generation. I truly believe that is more likely the source and not just one Weird Al song. Love Weird Al but the Star Trek one is the right one.

More to the point, since Weird Al's song is about being nerdy, the reference he makes actually to Picard's beverage of choice.

I'm just disappointed that there's no steam coming off the tea; it's obviously not Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
RayKremer wrote:Jelly Babies were constantly referenced, much like Picard spent the entire series ordering Earl Grey, but is from one of the older doctors that a lot of people these days haven't watched much of.

Tom Baker is probably most closely associated with Jelly Babies, and spent as much time as the Doctor as Eccleston, Tennant and Smith combined.

Patrick Troughton was the first to be shown with a bag of them (in The Dominators, a 5-parter from season six).

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass

SAY PULP FICTION HAS NO FANDOM ONE MORE TIME.....

sirlouie

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sirlouie
tensionhead wrote:i was hoping for some milksteak

My milksteak brings all the boys to the yard ...

-SL

corkysru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corkysru

Pulp fiction is an amazing movie.
But I can't say anyone does belong to all the groups. Never played Skyrim. Never really want to bother.

francesbea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages francesbea

I don't buy any of the explanations of the pizza so far. The problem is the pizza is just too ubiquitous in geek culture. Any specific source that could explain that one on the shirt would have to have to be incredibly important culturally and/or really establish the particular appearance of the pizza as it appears (maybe a video game?).

Also, TMNT is NOT geeky. It was the Power Rangers of a previous generation - just a fad with the kiddies, and not just the geeky kiddies. Though any one still a fan could probably use that to establish their dork-cred, which gives a SMALL knock-on boost to the geek-cred.