kbajan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbajan
humongous wrote:tried to order 3 but all would have to be same size. . . used to be able to order different sizes. wut happened?

Click "Add To Cart" using 1 at a time and you can select sizes that way.

kbajan

Ok... I want to get this shirt, but is it the real Declaration on it, or a modified version as the write up might make one think?

jacksondrf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacksondrf

Too bad they are on the Anvil shirts. Those are terrible. I would have bought one (even if it was a bit more) if it was printed on the American Apparel blended shirts instead.

CalculatinAvatar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CalculatinAvatar
kbajan wrote:Ok... I want to get this shirt, but is it the real Declaration on it, or a modified version as the write up might make one think?

The third picture's view (upper left section) of the fifth line is legibly the original text. You could actually read the whole thing to check from the various views, though.

jmalone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jmalone

Wow, woot!, you guys somehow manage to just miss with me so often these days...

First it was getting rid of AA, then it was the cart bullisht, all while adding sub-woot!'s at a rate that will soon require that you add a second tier of tabs.

I actually was hopeful for a bit, you added the option to print on AA for additional cost just like we all have been asking since you killed it off. "Great!", I thought, "Now I can buy some more woot! shirts! All I have to do is wait for a design I actually like!"

Well, here we are. You've put up something that I want for the first time in months, but I come by only to notice that the 'limited time' AA option's time was a little too limited.

Guess I'll just go back to adding the things I would like to buy to the cart, only to talk myself out of it after seeing my total and letting them expire in front of my eyes...

rockabettygirl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rockabettygirl

Good thing it is in print since cursive isn't being taught in the schools anymore.

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
thumperchick wrote:There is a ridiculous level of irony here...

The US flag shirt is only offered on Anvil blanks... not available on American Apparel blanks...

US Nicaragua!

this

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

ronman101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronman101
fklock wrote:"Manufactured In: Honduras/Nicaragua"
Printed In: Carrollton, Texas, USA
Would it be SO bad to actually print the American Flag on an American-made shirt?
Incidentally, according to the US Flag Code, The American Flag should never be worn as, or adorn an article of clothing, unless as a patch, properly placed on a uniform.

I would agree, but I there are just some times I think otherwise!

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/american-flag-bikini

jponnath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jponnath

Really Woot? American Apparel is MADE IN THE USA.... I was about to buy this until I noticed its only being offered on the Anvil Tee. I don't feel quite right about buying a shirt with an American flag on it that's made in Nicuragua and/or Honduras.

Ugh

Aracos wrote:Looks like I'll be the first to say if the AA blanks were still being offered as an option, I'd be placing an order. I just don't like the quality of the Anvil tees, so thanks for saving me money again, plus AA would be more fitting for this design.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict

Add me to the list of people who were ready to buy until I saw that AA shirts were not available.
woot, you've really gone down hill since you were gobbled up by the corporate machine. I can remember when it took 900 to 1200 votes to win a derby. Now it only takes about a fourth of that. Guess the other 3/4 just aren't that interested anymore.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

kbajan

CalculatinAvatar wrote:The third picture's view (upper left section) of the fifth line is legibly the original text. You could actually read the whole thing to check from the various views, though.

Thanks. I'm at work so I didn't really have the time to sit and piece together the pictures. I was hoping for a confirmation before dropping $40 to be disappointed. It's already risky as the last set of shirts shrunk. My wife had to give hers to our daughter (10 year old).

Deacon336

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Deacon336
Deramedic wrote:I've been a veteran since January. so this will be my first 4th of July since i got out of the Navy. it's also my kids birthday on the 3rd (he's turning two!) ...I'm buying matching sizes for us. It might be cheesy, but I'm proud

Not cheesy, seriously cool!

Thank-you

Deacon336
MtPilot, NC

TXRon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TXRon

If this were printed on an AA shirt with the actual unmodified Declaration of Independence then I could buy it and be proud to wear it. I don't believe in changing the words of our founding fathers. Not in the Declaration or our Constitution!

billypuppy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billypuppy
CalculatinAvatar wrote:Do you think that publicly burning the American flag in most of the USA would draw not a word of protest? Are you seriously complaining that taking a homophobic action would likely prompt others to complain? Are you comparing your problem of being unable to express bigotry without hearing dissent to the plight of black Americans murdered by racist mobs?

Read what you wrote and take a moment to actually think about it.

First of all,I am not afraid of homosexuals. Secondly, I believe that African Americans have endured a struggle that still has not brought true equality. Finally, I'll accept that YOU truly believe in acceptance and diversity when YOU have the inclination to mount your hypocritical soapbox and defend a Klan member and his constitutional right to be a racist. The rights of an individual to their own beliefs are guaranteed to ALL, not just to agendists intent on indoctrination. I challenge you to to hug a Tea Party representative today and prove that you can actually back up the propaganda that you expound. You are ignorant of both the meaning and application of the words diversity and inclusion.

"Three generations of imbeciles is enough".
Oliver Wendell Holmes

sjt2115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjt2115
TXRon wrote:If this were printed on an AA shirt with the actual unmodified Declaration of Independence then I could buy it and be proud to wear it. I don't believe in changing the words of our founding fathers. Not in the Declaration or our Constitution!

Looking closely it actually is the original wording of the DOI, not the "modified" wording. Though the text is so small I can't imagine anyone will be able to read it without sticking their face in someone's chest.

Which may or may not be an intended effect.

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
thumperchick wrote:There is a ridiculous level of irony here...

The US flag shirt is only offered on Anvil blanks... not available on American Apparel blanks...

US Nicaragua!

Alright, to be perfectly fair, there is a certain apropos nature to printing these on Anvil (aka Foreign sourced) materials:

The low-skill, low-wage labor is being done in Nicaragua where the lower wages will comparatively make a larger impact through greater relative spending power.

The higher-skill, higher-wage labor is happening in Carrollton, TX, allowing the higher wages to comparatively make a less small impact through relative less small spending power. (yeah, I said less small, screen printing probably doesn't pay that well on the American income scale)

Annnnd all of this is being used to make a patriotic statement, a legitimately patriotic statement, no matter how deep you want to chase the metaphor down the rabbit hole.

And, honestly, it's a goddamn tshirt, so following it down the metaphorical metaphorical rabbit hole is probably a bit of a stretch. You don't push me and I don't push you, kk?

In summation: armchair economists...ACTIVATE!

edit: looks like someone beat me:

CalculatinAvatar wrote:Trade protectionism is not a particularly American value. Making bad economic decisions like insisting on producing everything domestically is pretty fundamentally un-American, actually.

45chel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 45chel
Deramedic wrote:I've been a veteran since January. so this will be my first 4th of July since i got out of the Navy. it's also my kids birthday on the 3rd (he's turning two!) ...I'm buying matching sizes for us. It might be cheesy, but I'm proud

Please process your VA paperwork and take advantage of the services that Veteran Affairs offers *all* newly discharged service members (medical examination within first year of discharge means any problems found will be 'fixed' at no cost to vet.)

**Make sure you grab at least one copy of your personnel and medical records.**

I have met far too many veterans that waited to file claims until after an issue had presented(not just cancerous Agent Orange exposure, but smoke from burn pits, hearing loss from not just explosions and rifle fire, but exposure to constant fan or generator noise (my husband had significant hearing loss at the ripe old age of 26) increased hypertension, arthritis, stress overload, etc)-- sometimes several years down the road.

It's so much more difficult to get their claims accepted. (But can still be done!)

The amount of Gulf War veterans filing claims for minor service connected things that have worsened over the years is increasing.

--But it isn't just about medical.
College benefits that can sometimes pass on to your kids, small business loans, veteran-specific job training programs.

You can file initial documents online at wwws.va.gov

If the process looks overwhelming seek out a local Disabled American Veterans office (also online,) you don't need to be disabled for them to help you with paperwork, power of attorney, appeals or even transportation to medical appointments - those are all free services to veterans. (And if you're looking for a worthy charity...)

Apologies, but not really for the tl;dr but this is important information.

Have a fine civilian day!

Icy13

yankeefan1087 wrote:I Didn't realize exercising my first amendment rights was "unpatriotic."

Where have you been the last 50 years?

jk jk, I know what you were saying

CalculatinAvatar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CalculatinAvatar
billypuppy wrote:First of all,I am not afraid of homosexuals.

English isn't Greek. "-phobia" means "aversion" as well as "fear" in English, e.g. hydrophobia, acidophobia, and phonophobia.

billypuppy wrote:Finally, I'll accept that YOU truly believe in acceptance and diversity when YOU have the inclination to mount your hypocritical soapbox and defend a Klan member and his constitutional right to be a racist.

It's always bizarre to me to see someone insist I tolerate their intolerance. In any case, a Klansman has a right to his racism, sure. I don't have to approve of it or sit silent for it, though. The same applies to your hypothetical protest against homosexuals. I'm not suggesting the state should arrest you for it; I'm calling you out for your absurd claim. I'm not even saying you shouldn't be allowed to burn a rainbow flag; I'm just saying it would imply you were bad person.

billypuppy wrote:The rights of an individual to their own beliefs are guaranteed to ALL, not just to agendists intent on indoctrination.

Who are you arguing against? You're beating that straw man senseless, certainly, but you know I didn't say anything in contradiction to freedom of belief, right?

billypuppy wrote:I challenge you to to hug a Tea Party representative today and prove that you can actually back up the propaganda that you expound.

I didn't express a dislike for that group. Please stop making things up.

billypuppy wrote:You are ignorant of both the meaning and application of the words diversity and inclusion.

You'll note that I reserved my complaints for your hypothetical behavior and not your person. Please extend the same courtesy and cease presuming to lecture me on faults I have not demonstrated.

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519

I love this design. I don't find it the least bit disrespectful - quite the opposite in fact. Again, it's not an actual flag, it's a depiction of a flag.

That said... If only we had the right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of American Apparel shirts that don't shrink to unwearable lengths. I'd be in for one on AA, but no more Anvil blanks for me.

sjt2115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjt2115
billypuppy wrote:Finally, I'll accept that YOU truly believe in acceptance and diversity when YOU have the inclination to mount your hypocritical soapbox and defend a Klan member and his constitutional right to be a racist.

You mean like how the ACLU has sued to protect the rights of the Klan?

Who, exactly, has ever said the Klan doesn't have the right to be a bunch of racist Hello. Hellooo. Hellooooo.s? They have the right to think and say and write whatever they want, just like anyone else. What they don't have (and what no one has) is the right to avoid criticism for their stupid beliefs. They also don't have a right to an audience or to be provided a platform on which to speak.

The rights of an individual to their own beliefs are guaranteed to ALL, not just to agendists intent on indoctrination.

Again, who are you talking to? Who disputes this?

I challenge you to to hug a Tea Party representative today and prove that you can actually back up the propaganda that you expound. You are ignorant of both the meaning and application of the words diversity and inclusion.

Ahh yes, the old "you have to tolerate my intolerance otherwise you're not really tolerant nanny nanny boo boo!"

Again, you have the right to say and think and write whatever you want. You want to burn the Pride Flag? Buy one and go for it (consistent with local fire codes, of course). Just don't expect anyone to care when you cry about getting negative feedback.

chiieddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chiieddy

Pulled the trigger without even thinking about it. It will be perfect to wear next year in Brazil when I go to the World Cup!

IceWoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IceWoot

I was thinking "Finally, another shirt I am willing to buy since they now offer on American Apparel again." When I checked for the American Apparel option, not there. I am very disappointed.

The only Anvil shirt I bought for myself was http://shirt.woot.com/offers/americana-6. The shirt's comfort is much worse than that of the AA shirts. My very first AA shirt from 2007, through my brother's account, is http://shirt.woot.com/offers/reality-isnt-for-everyone. This AA shirt has been worn and gone through the wash numerous times and feels much better than the Anvil shirt. The fit on the Anvil shirt is also too short and became deformed after just the first wash.

Back to just "window shopping" the woot shirts instead of buying.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sooooooooooooo, let's get back on topic.

Say, how about this shirt!!??!!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Icy13

joshshaman wrote:Yea, the flag looks cool. It's just not right that flags and things depicting the flag aren't made in America - Woot used to buy American-made shirts...that's why I rarely ever buy their shirts now.

To be completely accurate, the imprint of the flag on this shirt is made in America.

It's just the crummy support structure that is not.

It's 11:02am (woot-standard-time), do you know where your flag pole was made?

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot
ThunderThighs wrote:Sooooooooooooo, let's get back on topic.

OK - I'm sure most people here have walked back to their car after a community 4th celebration, dodging (hoping so) the plethora of small US flags on a stick scattered on the ground.

I often begin picking them up, but then begin wondering what I am going to do with 137 of these things.

Now the T-shirt: What if we all wore the T-shirt while boycotting the off-shore manufactured stick flags?

I bet I wouldn't find any of the T-shirts littering the ground. ;>)

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

At first I was going to make a comment about buying a shirt "Manufactured In: Honduras/Nicaragua" to show one's pride for our country.

However, the new reality right now is that it's possible, if not likely, that the people and governments of Honduras and Nicaragua value the civil liberties guaranteed in our Declaration of Independence more than the current administration in Washington and the segment of our citizenry that seems to relish being blissfully ignorant and sitting on the sidelines.

P.S. -- awesome shirt -- great job!

P.P.S. -- for the record, I would have bought two of these shirts - one for my dad and one for myself - if AA shirts were available; however, there's no way I'll give my dad an American flag shirt made in Honduras/Nicaragua as he'd never wear it. I'm not buying one for myself because the quality sucks - I can live with the outsourcing.

P.P.P.S. -- what's with the made in Honduras AND Nicaragua -- is there a Honduran-Nicaraguan border town with a fabric mill on one side and sewing machines on the other??

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
circusninja wrote:But this is not a flag. This is a printed t-shirt that uses Red, White, and Blue to depict the IMAGE of our ensign.

Great shirt, great document, if only the Curlys running this nation were more familiar with this document...

That was my understanding, as well. You shouldn't take a flag and make a shirt out of it, but that's not what this is.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
billypuppy wrote: Lots of things.

God bless America, giving everyone the right to say pretty much whatever stupid thing they want. Enjoy it.

I thought this was a pretty harmless design, but I guess that's because I don't have an agenda to yell at people all the time.

engineer30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages engineer30

Would love to buy one or more of this shirt but not on Anvil. Poor fitting.

billypuppy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billypuppy
CalculatinAvatar wrote:You'll note that I reserved my complaints for your hypothetical behavior and not your person. Please extend the same courtesy and cease presuming to lecture me on faults I have not demonstrated.

Once again I'll try to make you realize how paranoid your response was to my post. You called me a racist. You called me homophobic. You assumed that my citing lynching was in reference to African Americans. I would kindly ask you to go back to my original post (that so offended you) and actually read my words. My post was ironic not insulting. Your response attacked and insulted my character. Your assumptions exposed your preconceptions and your inability to understand what was actually written. When you're able to respond rationally and without emotional outbursts I'll attempt to give your argument consideration. Finally I was not presenting a straw man argument. I was attempting to demonstrate the capricious nature of your "reasoning". I would suggest that you spend more time honing your rhetorical skills and less time reading "The Advocate".

"Three generations of imbeciles is enough".
Oliver Wendell Holmes

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

It sucks, because it's on an Anvil blank.

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
fklock wrote:Not true. The flag code indicates that if an item contains the colors red, white, and blue, has stars or stripes in any pattern, or in any way even makes you think of the American Flag - The article should be treated with the respect due to the the flag itself.

Right, so I should respect this: (Liberia)
and this:(Malaysia)
or perhaps this:(Cuba)
or the flags of Chile, The Philippines, or perhaps North Korea? All should be treated with the respect we show our flag?

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict

Thanks.

And no thanks! (not on Anvil, anyway)

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

rustyspocketsand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rustyspocketsand

Can we get a confirmation on whether or not it's the unmodified version of the Declaration? I would buy it if it was.

volta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volta

It is a damned shame this one isn't printed on an AA tee. It would be much more fitting to have this printed on a shirt made in the USA.

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182
aoviss wrote:http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Flag code violation. Stop being you-know-what-bags. Take those faded and torn mini-flags off your car for good, too. You have them on at night, another violation.

Right with you. This country used to be strong...now it is just a bunch of love-all liberal d-bags that cry about everything they don't like in order to get their way.

...i remain, he who remains to be...

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
ckeilah wrote:This is disrespectful of the the flag and our republic. :-(

§176. Respect for flag
*snip*
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
*snip*

I take this to mean that you should not take a flag and wear it as clothing, or use it as a blanket or curtain. Not that you should not have the image of a flag on those things.

Like most of our documents, everything is up for interpretation.

Now, to those calling anyone showing preference for American Apparel a hypocrite, know that there are a few people here that do actually only wear american made clothing.

But the real point is this - woot had the option to give us a choice for AA or Anvil on this garment, depicting our flag and Declaration of Independence. They chose to only give us the Anvil option. I fail to see how highlighting that or letting them know that the choice affected sales is hypocrisy .

SaintEntreri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaintEntreri

Lots of people have expressed a concern about it that has been ignored. Why is this being offered on substandard blanks that Woot should never have started using in the first place? My reasoning for buying Woot shirts was 50/50 the art and the fact that you used to use high quality, comfortable, made in USA AA blanks.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

The SHIRT has the ORIGINAL Declaration of Independence on it.

The WRITE-UP was the write up, and as usual, has nothing to do with the actual shirt, or what will be printed on it. It is simply commentary - like it always is. In this case, bad commentary, but still only commentary.

*Insert political propaganda/argument here, and finish with irrational hatred of something or someone.* ~This is why we can't have nice things. Stop using a patriotic image to push your political agenda, it's just obnoxious.