StckMn2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StckMn2
cycowolf wrote:Earl Grey Tea is Captain Picard's drink of choice on Star Trek The Next Generation. I truly believe that is more likely the source and not just one Weird Al song. Love Weird Al but the Star Trek one is the right one.

Weird Al was referencing TNG.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I don't consider myself part of any fandom, I'm just not that passionate about any of these things...but I did get each reference.

ETA: Plus a free random? Is that new?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

amill106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amill106
zekecatz wrote:Souffle = Doctor Who

lemon cakes = game of thrones

jacobalfredo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jacobalfredo

Um, no eggy baskets? WHY NO EGGY BASKETS??

esglabs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esglabs
smileyfaceman wrote:I thought the pizza was Pac-Man.

Me too! But as many people have said, pizza shows up everywhere and is very tied to the Turtles.

I only got four of the nine. One I'd forgotten about despite being a fan, one I wouldn't have put on a "geek" list, and I'm just not a fan of the other three. Not bad for a scattering of pop culture references!

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

55 sold?
Shirt.woot will probably just ignore my future design submissions ;)

ajohnsto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajohnsto
SadieBlack wrote:Totally useless without fish fingers and custard.

Apparently, someone thought Souffle Girl was more important than Fish Fingers and Custard >:C I agree with you!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
justynadorsz wrote:55 sold?

I think the count reset when they added the free random tee to the offering.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Heh...not at all. The promotion will make the sales stats a little weird.

Katmandoo122

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Katmandoo122
skopi wrote:I would like a cup of damn fine coffee or maybe some cherry pie

Good idea for a female version of the shirt so that you could reference Twin Peaks while admiring her, um, I should probably shut up now.

what is a signature?

blaisedaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blaisedaddy

Just wait i'm sure they will warm up
at least you won't get worst seller...

pandsala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pandsala

All of this could be cleared up by the artist, but the problem is its more half pop culture/ half geek.
The souffle being chocolate seems weird to me but w/e, things like the tea could be better by changing the cup style to "futuristic" throw some swords or something in the pizza if you wanted it to be TMNT for sure.
Pulp Fiction and Harry Potter have for the most part been seen on a wide scale but not necessarily by people who also watch adventure time and play skyrim and portal.
The fact so many people are confused by it doesn't make it 'good' or that the references are obscure, it means they are too broad. 'shrug'

calvecg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages calvecg

They should have had the bacon spelling out "50" on top of the pancakes. Then it would have referenced Breaking Bad.

aquastardreamer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aquastardreamer
greenmolloy wrote:

You got the lyrics a bit mixed up. ;)

:shrugs: It was 7:30 in the morning, I hadn't yet gotten out of bed, and was typing on my phone. I think I did a pretty good job. Jake sings it better than I do anyway. :-)

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but butter beer sounds peanut butter jelly timeing terrible!

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Buffbill_ox wrote:Yum... milk steak goes great with boiled denim.

And rum ham.

stormshadow999 wrote:On this site, it's ALWAYS Dr. Who (sigh)

Also le sigh, but Woot's not quite as bad as Teefury. Yet.

aquastardreamer wrote::shrugs: It was 7:30 in the morning, I hadn't yet gotten out of bed, and was typing on my phone. I think I did a pretty good job. Jake sings it better than I do anyway. :-)

Close enough. I sang along this morning when I read it. Then I got some bacon and french toast (also close enough).

sgaon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgaon

I just realized the issue isn't that very few people would appreciate every single reference. It's that their incredibly broad nature (Pulp Fiction to Adventure Time?) and the loose definition of 'geek' used seem less likely to be indicative of a sincere piece of art, and more of someone halfway to an idea who ended up typing "foods from game of thrones", etc. into Google in an attempt to hit as many demographics (or different parts of the same demographic) as possible.

justynadorsz

sgaon wrote:I just realized the issue isn't that very few people would appreciate every single reference. It's that their incredibly broad nature (Pulp Fiction to Adventure Time?) and the loose definition of 'geek' used seem less likely to be indicative of a sincere piece of art, and more of someone halfway to an idea who ended up typing "foods from game of thrones", etc. into Google in an attempt to hit as many demographics (or different parts of the same demographic) as possible.

I understand you don't like the art but I just wanted to say that it wasn't like that. I am a fan of all those movies and games and I thought that those things were recognizable among other fans too. And even if someone doesn't know them all it doesn't really matter. It's sometimes fun when people try to guess what does your shirt refer to.

kdar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdar

And now I have bacon pancakes stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
SadieBlack wrote:Totally useless without fish fingers and custard.

<3

oops, pardon me, i wooted

tenaga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenaga
woaikonglong wrote:Personally would have liked to see blue milk instead of one of the food, not enough drink options.

I agree this one is a bit obscure.

Nothing Star Wars is obscure!!

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
justynadorsz wrote:I understand you don't like the art but I just wanted to say that it wasn't like that. I am a fan of all those movies and games and I thought that those things were recognizable among other fans too. And even if someone doesn't know them all it doesn't really matter. It's sometimes fun when people try to guess what does your shirt refer to.

Some people just like to rain on other peoples parade. The NEED for their own private interpretation to be the "right" one kinda kills the fun.

Don't listen to them, awesome shirt, keep going!

traquy

quality posts: 49 Private Messages traquy

Just one large ripe strawberry would not have gone amiss. You can't go wrong with a Firefly reference.

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
ncginger2000 wrote:There was a comment that the souffle is Doctor Who. If so, I'm not remembering the reference. Fish fingers and custard, Jammie Dodgers or Jelly Babies might have been a more obvious link. :-)

or celery....

souffle is what the disembodied Clara attempts to make, but where does the milk come from???

oops, pardon me, i wooted

rightturnclyde

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rightturnclyde
traquy wrote:Just one large ripe strawberry would not have gone amiss. You can't go wrong with a Firefly reference.

Strawberry's okay, but Mudder's Milk is the obvious choice for a Firefly ref.

rightturnclyde

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rightturnclyde

It's a Scooby Doo shirt. Him and Shaggy ate all of it...in one sitting.

justynadorsz

nmchapma wrote:
Don't listen to them, awesome shirt, keep going!

thank you

brently49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brently49

No White Castles? I had to buy the shirt, I won't lie. I got most of them to need to buy it.

Cake and Sweet Roll were my misses.

nstgtr42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nstgtr42

Not geek, not comprehensive, and - most importantly - not funny. Just random, pointless, obscure references.

Now, maybe if there was a Perfectly Normal Beast sammy from The Sandwich Maker himself, or possibly a nice M.L.T. (where the mutton is nice and lean)...

Second the Dwarf Bread, White Russian and Jelly Baby votes as well. All the post-Baker Doctors can suck a Dalek.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
nstgtr42 wrote:Not geek, not comprehensive, and - most importantly - not funny. Just random, pointless, obscure references.

Now, maybe if there was a Perfectly Normal Beast sammy from The Sandwich Maker himself, or possibly a nice M.L.T. (where the mutton is nice and lean)...

Second the Dwarf Bread, White Russian and Jelly Baby votes as well. All the post-Baker Doctors can suck a Dalek.

Where is the diversity?

DealMeIn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DealMeIn

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this shirt. It's not about being a geek in general, it's about being a geek for the individual TV show, movie, or genre.

A Star Trek Next Gen fan will instantly know Earl Grey, both movie and Tarantino buffs will get Royale with cheese, etc...

The lemon cakes is a very interesting choice because every ASoIaF/GoT geek out there will get the reference and no one else will have a clue.

Obviously, there are a lot of other things that could have been included, but this is Justyna Dorsz's list so she put in what she knows.

So buy the shirt, clue some people in on the references they don't get, enjoy your free random shirt when you get it and quit complaining.

bluesplot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesplot

Hooray! I got all but two of the references! Kind of proud of my geeky self. :D

bluesplot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesplot

Don't worry about it! I like your shirt. People just like to nit-pick stuff apart; I think it's just the nature of t-shirt websites.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack

First World Problems
Want the free random shirt, don't want the main shirt...

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito
pitamuffin wrote:Furthermore, I do not believe Pulp Fiction fits into the "Geek" category like all of the others referenced on this shirt.

This. Pulp Fiction is really (really) far from geeky.

pbandito

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pbandito
psuclaus1 wrote:Personally - I think Adventure Time is a horrible hyperactive cartoon & not worthy of geek worship.

This reminds me of my uncle who hates Seinfeld, and who also has never seen Seinfeld.

mrbarister

quality posts: 26 Private Messages mrbarister

Buying this shirt in a 3x to wear to fat camp. Hopefully by the time it's over I'll be able to fit into it. :D

[--1p`bil

quality posts: 2 Private Messages [--1p`bil

The tea should be "Tea, Earl Grey, hot". I would also like to have seen "Porkchop Sandwiches" :D

justynadorsz

Thank you bluesplot, DealMeIn and all others for some nice words!

justynadorsz

mrbarister wrote:Buying this shirt in a 3x to wear to fat camp. Hopefully by the time it's over I'll be able to fit into it. :D

Good luck!