jmpryll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmpryll

a lot of the older New Englanders call soda/pop/coke Tonic.. another weird thing about living up here!

71firebird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 71firebird

Here in Alabamy nothing is more frustrating than asking the waitress for a coke and she asks "Is Pepsi ok?"

billyAssjunks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyAssjunks

The PNW is solid soda country. Amawoot is from Seattle, they should know better.

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

If only it were accurate at all. I live in Washington State, and everyone I've ever interacted with (including the people I sell it to) call it soda. Except my friend from Nebraska who calls it pop.

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
71firebird wrote:Here in Alabamy nothing is more frustrating than asking the waitress for a coke and she asks "Is Pepsi ok?"

THIS! "Is Pepsi ok? No, I'll take a sweet tea."

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks everyone!

Here's a quick overlay of the current US for reference (before the dark days of the Beverage War).

And like others have said, my results came from http://www.popvssoda.com

They don't deal "Tonic" or other very-regonal-specific names, sorry you didn't survive the Beverage War.

Everyone should buy this shirt--it's an excellent conversation starter

dbzispimpin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbzispimpin

I love this shirt, simply because I live in Miami, FL and we call it any number of things down here since there's such a vast number of different cultures, but everybody knows one thing...

If you ask somebody for Coke down here, you're probably not thirsty... if ya know what I mean? Lol

Ciscomania

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ciscomania

Pop is for weasels........It's soda!

mattmcd31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattmcd31

Texas is not Coke territory, definitely Soda territory

Matt

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sokudoningyou
shotfromguns wrote:As a Milwaukeean and someone who's studied linguistics, I'm offended by the gross oversimplification of this lazy excuse for a dialect map. This here is soda country, by god.

Damn straight it is. We have our soda by the lake, where it's cooler.

But there *is* a tiny sliver marking us in the SE, so it's a possible buy. Maybe.

jmercermn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmercermn
zekecatz wrote:Different parts of the country have different names for all kinds of things. Try these tests Harvard Dialect Survey, and The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes and see if they identify where you are from.

The Harvard test got the city exactly right. Impressive.

purplejoker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purplejoker

Pop? Oregon? I don't think so.

mhdgraphics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhdgraphics
tcmilkman wrote:Coming from MN, now in TX, I can attest. Shirt follows this website which I believe started from a sociological study, and has been up and updated at least since 2000.

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Enjoy!

Minnesota - Alawacca Indian for "land of small soft drinks"

laconic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages laconic
rgriffin09 wrote:Why would anyone call sweet, carbonated beverages "Cokes" when a Coke is a specific type?

Coke is also a brand, like Kraft. Coca-Cola, Sprite, Fanta, Mello Yello, etc. are all Coke products. Since restaurants usually sell either Coke specific sodas, or Pepsi specific sodas, asking which Coke would be perfectly acceptable if it was one of the former.

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark
71firebird wrote:Here in Alabamy nothing is more frustrating than asking the waitress for a coke and she asks "Is Pepsi ok?"

She has to say that if you ask for Coke and they serve Pepsi. Both Coke and Pepsi have secret shoppers go into places and ask for whatever brand that chain doesn't sell to see if they will be corrected. If they are not, then the lawyers get involved. Coke and Pepsi have to protect their trademark or they can lose it to "common usage".

BTW, my mom used to say soft drink, but she was old enough to remember prohibition.

amikins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amikins

You forgot the district of tonic.

perryju

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perryju

HUGE mess up on this shirt, A) Alaska is SUBSTANTIALLY larger than what this map shows (1/3 the size of the continental US). B) Alaska is a soda state, whomever did this shirt was lazy.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo

Line in Florida is way too far south.

The only people in Orlando that say "Coke" are the tourists from up north (or possible recent transplants.)

jespensc

quality posts: 21 Private Messages jespensc
perryju wrote:HUGE mess up on this shirt, A) Alaska is SUBSTANTIALLY larger than what this map shows (1/3 the size of the continental US). B) Alaska is a soda state, whomever did this shirt was lazy.

Well, if the non-contiguous states were represented by their respective populations, (A) Alaska would fit in one of outer dribbles of the Illinois-Missouri "soda" splat, and (B) it would be correctly represented as a soda dribble.

(Oh, and my trolling aside, I have to agree: Washington, Oregon, and Аляска are all solidly "soda" states.)

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo

Hey, just realized something.

What happened to the FL Keys? Down there it's called "the stuff you mix with rum".

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to first woot: 5m 23.114s
First sucker:tdj416
Last wooter to woot:rudyroy2004
Last purchase:9 minutes ago

First day sales 367
First day posts 99
Votes 216

maryahari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryahari
jaimelobo wrote:Line in Florida is way too far south.

The only people in Orlando that say "Coke" are the tourists from up north (or possible recent transplants.)

Agreed. Born and raised in Orlando and its always been soda for me.

dacrete

quality posts: 94 Private Messages dacrete
brumagem wrote:If only it were accurate at all. I live in Washington State, and everyone I've ever interacted with (including the people I sell it to) call it soda. Except my friend from Nebraska who calls it pop.

I disagree with that. I live in the NW and all I hear is pop around here.