Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

if I were named no1...sigh.

jqubed


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
Josephus wrote:and circuit USA, in the last 3 hours since it was submitted- maybe less: 61 by goelzjs


hmm, i wouldn't mind seeing a whole map of the country like that... i like the way the big cities get bigger dots, with lots of lines running into it...

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jqubed wrote:wow that's a complicated process! i know you cracked that joke about the pen tablet, but if you're going to try something like that, you probably would find it easier. a lot of comic strip artists used to scan in an inked drawing that would be sent to their syndicate electronically, but more and more are switching to the tablets because it's easier, and they can get pretty much the same look they got with their preferred pencils and pens. You should be able to use it drawing directly in Inkscape (dunno if it would support pressure gradients though), and then vector graphics work like I think they do/should, you wouldn't have any issues going to different sizes. if you found a pencil a more useful tool for drawing, a tablet would be a similar tool with fewer steps (and less places for quality to degrade).


Mr. Qubed,

Oops, I should have said I used Inkscape in the third derby. I found it a little clunky, since I wasn't used to working directly in vector graphics, but it's really the way to go (IMO) for these 6-color limited contests. One thing about a regular ol' pad and pencil, it's very lightweight, so it's easy to draw with one hand holding a baby. With a laptop and separate tablet, that's two pieces, with one needing a separate horizontal surface to sit on (not my lap, Miss 1's got that)... a little clumsier for me. Plus I'm no expert in Inkscape, I just installed it a couple weeks ago, does it do anyting with the pressure sensitivity? Being able to vary the line weight real time would be cool, but I think I might have to use Photoshop or GIMP for that. I have to admit the tablet's tempted me, but I'd only use it to enter the contests. Can I really say I'd get enough fun out of it to justify the purchase?

Does anyone know how well GIMP and/or Inkscape work with pressure sensitive tablet functions?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:if I were named no1...sigh.



Yep, Dr. J, it's a crying shame.

jqubed


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
no1 wrote:Mr. Qubed,

Oops, I should have said I used Inkscape in the third derby. I found it a little clunky, since I wasn't used to working directly in vector graphics, but it's really the way to go (IMO) for these 6-color limited contests. One thing about a regular ol' pad and pencil, it's very lightweight, so it's easy to draw with one hand holding a baby. With a laptop and separate tablet, that's two pieces, with one needing a separate horizontal surface to sit on (not my lap, Miss 1's got that)... a little clumsier for me. Plus I'm no expert in Inkscape, I just installed it a couple weeks ago, does it do anyting with the pressure sensitivity? Being able to vary the line weight real time would be cool, but I think I might have to use Photoshop or GIMP for that. I have to admit the tablet's tempted me, but I'd only use it to enter the contests. Can I really say I'd get enough fun out of it to justify the purchase?

Does anyone know how well GIMP and/or Inkscape work with pressure sensitive tablet functions?


i don't know if it would or not, in either program... i suspect the GIMP does, at least with a Wacom tablet, since they seem the most common, but i couldn't find anything about tablets in the FAQ on Inkscape, and it wouldn't let me in the regular documentation... if they want to be a serious contender/alternative as a vector editor, they'd have too, but they may not be at that point yet. i'm really not familiar with the free software alternatives... i've got some 5 year old versions of photoshop and macromedia studio mx that still serve me well (i'd like to upgrade to the latest adobe studio equivalent to the old macromedia studio, but i don't have the $$$ right now), so i've never learned the newer free software... *shrug*

i guess i could try inkscape on my tablet pc... but not everything recognizes its pressure sensitivity but they did recognize it from my wacom tablet on my desktop... if it recognizes this, there's a good chance it would recognize a regular tablet...

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jqubed wrote:hmm, i wouldn't mind seeing a whole map of the country like that... i like the way the big cities get bigger dots, with lots of lines running into it...



Apparently the map on the shirt is the whole USA. You can see it on the derby thread, which is a lot less contentious this week so far.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I just resubmitted my torn map shirt.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:I just resubmitted my torn map shirt.


Dr. J, you like the white shirt better?

Doesn't this risk splitting your vote?

Did you update your sig to link to the new design yet? It hasn't updated in my browser yet.

jqubed


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
no1 wrote:Dr. J, you like the white shirt better?

Doesn't this risk splitting your vote?

Did you update your sig to link to the new design yet? It hasn't updated in my browser yet.


assuming people vote for both i don't think it'll split... i think this is better, anyway...

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jqubed wrote:assuming people vote for both i don't think it'll split... i think this is better, anyway...


But they might not, Mr. Qubed. Some people might think they've already voted for the torn-map shirt and not bother looking very closely at it.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:But they might not, Mr. Qubed. Some people might think they've already voted for the torn-map shirt and not bother looking very closely at it.



that's a drawback. Still, this is much better as a design even though its much too late. Maybe they will vote for it.
edit: dang, 16 votes already.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
no1 wrote:Does anyone know how well GIMP and/or Inkscape work with pressure sensitive tablet functions?

Gimp works with tablets and pressure sensitivity, but I doubt inkscape does.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Does no-one know whether the added features of the Intuos make it worth buying over the Graphire?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FenStar wrote:Gimp works with tablets and pressure sensitivity, but I doubt inkscape does.



If you read this wiki it sounds like Inkscape accomodates Digital Tablets. A lot of their fixes are aimed to them.

Ok, maybe not read but search tablet.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jqubed wrote:assuming people vote for both i don't think it'll split... i think this is better, anyway...



well, they're voting for both. Isn't that weird?

jqubed


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
Josephus wrote:Does no-one know whether the added features of the Intuos make it worth buying over the Graphire?


comparing both at 6x8, nothing strikes me on the intuos that i wish i had, except maybe the tilt sensitivity... i don't think i even really make full use of the 512 pressure sensitivity... 1024 doesn't seem like it'd be that big a difference. i never use the mouse either. and i think you can upgrade to the grip pen if you really want, but the standard pen has always been fine with me. i doubt i'd use the touch strips much myself, and i don't know about the express keys. my graphire2 doesn't have 'em, but again, i doubt i'd really use them that much, so 8 would probably be overkill. most of the features for that msrp don't appeal to me, so i think the graphire is a better choice.

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Josephus wrote:that's a drawback. Still, this is much better as a design even though its much too late. Maybe they will vote for it.
edit: dang, 16 votes already.

I voted for it.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jqubed wrote:assuming people vote for both i don't think it'll split... i think this is better, anyway...



original torn map: 70
new torn map: 37

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:original torn map: 70
new torn map: 37


Jormungand: 39
:^)

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:Jormungand: 39
:^)


no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Winner's announcement for no-contest no. 1

And the winner is... no1!

Second goes to Dr. Josephus. Although he was thrown out of the game for not having the username "no1", nobody else entered, so he's the next in line.

Congratulations to everyone who entered!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Announcing no-contest no. 2!

Participants: you can only participate if your user name is no1!
Voters: you can only vote if your user name is no1!
Theme: zero
Misc. Admin: no width limit, but it has to be visibile to no1 as an image in this thread
Time: From now until the next 1

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
no1 wrote:Announcing no-contest no. 2!


placeholder post

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
no1 wrote:Announcing no-contest no. 2!


This should be good.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
no1 wrote:Announcing no-contest no. 2!


What, a whole minute has passed and no entries! This no-contest is dying! The T-shirt, Dodgeball, and Photoshop contests have sucked the life out of this 1!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Entry for "no contest no. 2" theme: zero

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Entry for "no contest no. 2" theme: zero

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

<alt>no1 submitted:



no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:<alt>no1 submitted:


Wow, I need to get some meds. I don't even remember doing this one.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Entry for "no contest no. 2" theme: zero



when my dad was on Guam during WWII, they picked up pieces of aluminum in the surf that had come from shot down Zeroes, and they made stuff out of them. He had pieces when I was little that had had holes put through them (like a pie safe) with varied designs- anchors, flags, etc. It was all lost many years ago.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

tick


tick


tick


no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:tick


tick


tick



Sigh. Would you like some votes, Dr. J?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Sigh. Would you like some votes, Dr. J?


nah. we can only amuse ourselves at this point, mr no1.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

72 40 28
40

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:72 40 28
40



72 40 28 7
40

I appreciate your leaving out my ugly stepchild of a map, but its mine, I don't know why it hasn't done better. :^(
I thought it was quite clever.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:72 40 28 7
40

I appreciate your leaving out my ugly stepchild of a map, but its mine, I don't know why it hasn't done better. :^(
I thought it was quite clever.


Dr. J, I guess nobody wants seaweed on their T-shirt.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
no1 wrote:Hee hee!



Nicely done, closing PWA with a hearty "Hee hee" ...

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
gwp wrote:Nicely done, closing PWA with a hearty "Hee hee" ...


Thank you, Mr. Gwp. What do I win?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Thank you, Mr. Gwp. What do I win?



Man, my internet connection went down again. Goes down briefly five or six times a day. just now came back.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
no1 wrote:Thank you, Mr. Gwp. What do I win?



Our congratulations. Which should be enough.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.