shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Josephus wrote:yeah, that raised my eyebrows. I don't think that should be allowed. unless anyone can do it. same with putting gradients in your detail image.



Surely Woot wouldn't allow the design to be changed before being printed, would they? That isn't right. I'm also surprised they allow the gradient in the detail image as well. But then again, people put words on their detail images when it's a no text derby, so maybe that is their line of reasoning. I think Woot even encouraged that one week not too long ago when we had a no text derby.

I agree w/ SkekTek, I wondered why there were so many people excited about that design when it has nothing to do with graffiti. I think the design itself won them over, regardless of the theme. To me, it looks like it was a design he already had and then he decided to try and make it fit the theme. I think it would be more on theme if the design Alice was painting was half finished. I'm surprised this hasn't been rejected.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
shan24 wrote:Surely Woot wouldn't allow the design to be changed before being printed, would they? That isn't right. I'm also surprised they allow the gradient in the detail image as well. But then again, people put words on their detail images when it's a no text derby, so maybe that is their line of reasoning. I think Woot even encouraged that one week not too long ago when we had a no text derby.

I agree w/ SkekTek, I wondered why there were so many people excited about that design when it has nothing to do with graffiti. I think the design itself won them over, regardless of the theme. To me, it looks like it was a design he already had and then he decided to try and make it fit the theme. I think it would be more on theme if the design Alice was painting was half finished. I'm surprised this hasn't been rejected.



I'm not. they love Cho. As far as the design goes, I'm mostly bothered that the hose goes in front of her leg- that makes her part of the drawing, not the person doing the drawing. With the high level of detail, I can't imagine this being actual graffiti, nor can I make it into 'defacing a shirt'. It's a painting of graffiti being performed. Maybe that fits the theme?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

please vote for my design- I need votes to prove my point.


SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:I'm not. they love Cho. As far as the design goes, I'm mostly bothered that the hose goes in front of her leg- that makes her part of the drawing, not the person doing the drawing. With the high level of detail, I can't imagine this being actual graffiti, nor can I make it into 'defacing a shirt'. It's a painting of graffiti being performed. Maybe that fits the theme?



My problem is more the rule issues than the design issue. Although I believe it doesn't really qualify as graffiti, unless any hand-drawn illustration qualifies as "graffiti". However, theme issues are more subjective and woot says it meets the theme.

Skill wise, I got no qualms about Cho. He's definitely got professional-quality work.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SkekTek wrote:My problem is more the rule issues than the design issue. Although I believe it doesn't really qualify as graffiti, unless any hand-drawn illustration qualifies as "graffiti". However, theme issues are more subjective and woot says it meets the theme.

Skill wise, I got no qualms about Cho. He's definitely got professional-quality work.



I think he's one of a very few number of artists in this. most are pretty skilled illustrators, and designers, but don't have the artistic eye that he has. Edgar as well. He reminds me a great deal of Gorey. I am always surprised and delighted by his work.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

[EDIT: REMOVED.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SkekTek wrote:Does this count as graffiti?



you are annoyed, aren't you?

no it isn't graffiti. There's a black shadow behind the text, like a solid black drop shadow. It's too clean.
is it an entry?

Failoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Failoan
SkekTek wrote:Does this count as graffiti?



Thats a horrible thing to do to cho's piece.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

If you voted for this, please vote again. I screwed up and had seven colors. I sure didn't want to give them such a reason to reject it.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

I think Cho is an awesome artist and illustrator too, that's not the thing. I have one of his shirts. I am just saying I don't see how it fits the theme this week. Especially if Alice is behind part of the graffiti she is supposed to be painting. I hope they aren't developing a double standard.

Btw Joe I love your entry, gmv. The gradient makes it.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Josephus wrote:If you voted for this, please vote again. I screwed up and had seven colors. I sure didn't want to give them such a reason to reject it.



Dr. Sephus, I voted again. Is your point about the gradient on the detail image?

Be aware that on TLC in the mornings there is a kid's show called HI FIVE. It's about five Canadian young adults who sing and dance for young children as part of a singing group called "HI FIVE." It's kind of like "The Wiggles" except a little bit more inappropriate. But it's loads better than HIP HOP HARRY, that's for sure...

mwiseman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
shan24 wrote:Btw Joe I love your entry, gmv. The gradient makes it.


Are gradients now acceptable?


Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mwiseman wrote:Are gradients now acceptable?



PM

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
kenney9226 wrote:Dr. Sephus, I voted again. Is your point about the gradient on the detail image?

Be aware that on TLC in the mornings there is a kid's show called HI FIVE. It's about five Canadian young adults who sing and dance for young children as part of a singing group called "HI FIVE." It's kind of like "The Wiggles" except a little bit more inappropriate. But it's loads better than HIP HOP HARRY, that's for sure...



I just want to get a good image in the contest, and make it up to the fog and get printed. Those are my hands, by the way.

TLC? hmm, maybe the little one would like that.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Josephus wrote:I just want to get a good image in the contest, and make it up to the fog and get printed. Those are my hands, by the way.

TLC? hmm, maybe the little one would like that.



Oh, and seek out PEEP! That show is really great. The theme song is by (everybody now....) BIZ MARKIE! And it's narrated by none other than Joan Cusack!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Failoan wrote:Thats a horrible thing to do to cho's piece.



It was in fun... I didn't post it here for that exact reason. But it does meet the exact criteria of grafitti- defacing that which is excellent...

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

To James Cho: I want to apologize if you thought anything I might have said or done is out of spite or hatred towards you or your designs. You are the premiere designer on shirt.woot- the sheer number of wins and best of entries attests to that. My only issue was the issue of consistency in rules, perhaps because you were so successful. It should have been aimed at Woot, not you, since it isn't your fault...

So I do sincerely apologize if it seemed I was out of line... Trust me, after the flack I got for my -1 shirt, I know how it feels.

I love your designs, and proudly bought two already. I just want woot to be consistent.

Peace out...

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:you are annoyed, aren't you?

no it isn't graffiti. There's a black shadow behind the text, like a solid black drop shadow. It's too clean.
is it an entry?



No, it was a joke. And a bad one at that. I removed it.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
jamescho84 wrote:lo l, thanks - thank you for the kind words though I can't help but to disagree with the premiere part. Don't worry I didn't take offense to any of it! Believe me, I know when people are trying to offend me hahaha <:D --

anyway, don't think too much of it, deface all my shirts - I do see that in fun, I just posted what I posted because I really thought I was offending people here. And that's the last thing I want to do. Thanks for your wonderful compliments, and there's no need to apologize about anything. <3



Thanks man. But the "defacing" was something I really thought of submitting, though the "suck" part was (obviously) going to be over one of MY designs...

EDIT: Which I did... what the heck.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Ummm... I mis contests where people where entering for the fun of it, and there where no rules, so no one had to worry about double standards.

Still single, can't imagine why.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
FenStar wrote:Ummm... I mis contests where people where entering for the fun of it, and there where no rules, so no one had to worry about double standards.



...like Dodgeball!

Yeah... then money gets involved and all the fun leaves.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
SkekTek wrote:What the frelling fudge? Certain designers are allowed to change their entries and not submit a print-ready version?!?!?!?!



I feel the need to plead guilty to this one, too. I've gotten into the habit of sending in my print-ready files late (I like to separate out the layers in illustrator, which takes awhile for my complex stuff) and sometimes, I make a minor edit or two.

If Matched Pair had actually printed, the line of the leash would have been smoothed out and a couple of errant houndstooth remnants would have been deleted. It's a minor change, but it started driving me insane about two hours after I submitted the original image to the derby. I justified it to myself because I don't think anyone would ever notice unless they knew where to look.

I don't know, man. Is that breaking rules? If people here think so, I'll try to curb the habit

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Thanks Cho for responding and answering all the questions we put forth above. That is very cool of you and thanks for not being offended. I have a better understanding now of the thought process behind your entry. It's really not the change of Alice's face in this particular entry that bothers me, it's whether or not Woot is going to allow this across the board. I thought it was a hard and fast rule not to allow changes to a derby winner before it was printed. I don't remember where I saw that because I've been here since Week 1. Anyway thanks for the explanation and I definitely wasn't offended by your entry, just a little confused.

I wonder what your thoughts are on one of my entries this week, whether you think it fits the theme or not since you have personally seen a lot of different graffiti. When I submitted it I referred Joel to Banksy's trompe l'oeil designs such as the maid holding up the wall like it was fabric and the red brick showed thru underneath, or the one with the crack in the concrete wall showing the beach scene. Some people also questioned the graffiti theme in this one.

Re: Robot Revealed

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
geekfactor12 wrote:I feel the need to plead guilty to this one, too. I've gotten into the habit of sending in my print-ready files late (I like to separate out the layers in illustrator, which takes awhile for my complex stuff) and sometimes, I make a minor edit or two.

If Matched Pair had actually printed, the line of the leash would have been smoothed out and a couple of errant houndstooth remnants would have been deleted. It's a minor change, but it started driving me insane about two hours after I submitted the original image to the derby. I justified it to myself because I don't think anyone would ever notice unless they knew where to look.

I don't know, man. Is that breaking rules? If people here think so, I'll try to curb the habit



I have taken to not sending in my print-ready file as well. If you ask me it's doing Woot a favor, saving them some disk space. Some of them are huge files, even zipped. I think I have a good enough relationship with them that they know I'd be good for it. Not that I've had a lot of shirts printed (1) but I figured if I ever won a top spot, I'd be getting that sucker in there asap. And I always have them ready at the time of submittal anyway.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
geekfactor12 wrote:I feel the need to plead guilty to this one, too. I've gotten into the habit of sending in my print-ready files late (I like to separate out the layers in illustrator, which takes awhile for my complex stuff) and sometimes, I make a minor edit or two.

If Matched Pair had actually printed, the line of the leash would have been smoothed out and a couple of errant houndstooth remnants would have been deleted. It's a minor change, but it started driving me insane about two hours after I submitted the original image to the derby. I justified it to myself because I don't think anyone would ever notice unless they knew where to look.

I don't know, man. Is that breaking rules? If people here think so, I'll try to curb the habit



If the powers that be allow you to do it, it isn't breaking a rule in my book... it's a non-rule some of us didn't know about :O

I didn't think you could submit a design without a print-ready file... and I didn't even know slightly tweaking a design was an option. For instance, I had bricks behind a cartoon, and they should have been in front of it. Would have been nice to swap the layers like they should have been, then send the revised print file to Woot, rather than delete and resubmit... and possibly lose votes.

We should have somewhere a list of things we can and cannot do... since some of us don't know, but others do. IE: print-ready, can be up to 1 day late... small changes to a design that do not affect the overall appearance, 1 change allowed...that sort of thing. That would be AWESOME to have one minor change, pending OK by woot. Someone pester Joel

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
SkekTek wrote:If the powers that be allow you to do it, it isn't breaking a rule in my book... it's a non-rule some of us didn't know about :O

I didn't think you could submit a design without a print-ready file... and I didn't even know slightly tweaking a design was an option. For instance, I had bricks behind a cartoon, and they should have been in front of it. Would have been nice to swap the layers like they should have been, then send the revised print file to Woot, rather than delete and resubmit... and possibly lose votes.

We should have somewhere a list of things we can and cannot do... since some of us don't know, but others do. IE: print-ready, can be up to 1 day late... small changes to a design that do not affect the overall appearance, 1 change allowed...that sort of thing. That would be AWESOME to have one minor change, pending OK by woot. Someone pester Joel



My rule of thumb has been that if I make a change, it has to be so minor that it would be invisible to the vast majority of Wooters and it wouldn't change the amount of votes my shirt would be likely to receive.

And I pretty much only send my print file once my design is in the top ten- unless there's a glimmer of a chance that I might get printed, I leave my messy file as is and don't bother cleaning it up for the print.

This kind of strategy does increase the chances of a rejection, though- I almost got into trouble with Matched Pair because it leaped up several places due to a bunch of other rejections. If I hadn't been online and ready to respond to Woot's request for a print file, I'm not sure how long they would have waited for me to get my act together. It would have sucked to be rejected!

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
jamescho84 wrote:Nice comments


Thanks for the great comments on my design! And you're right, I didn't think of it that way, but the spray painted look is because of the "time constraints" shall we say. Anyway thanks for backing me up on the entry fitting the theme. Not that it matters, this entry is really tanking. ha ha

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Hey, y'all, I really liked the look of my hands shirt, so I made a real entry version. Please, vote it up!

I know it's too late, but I think it's a nifty design.


thanks!

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Josephus wrote:I'm not. they love Cho. As far as the design goes, I'm mostly bothered that the hose goes in front of her leg- that makes her part of the drawing, not the person doing the drawing.



I think that adds to the surreality, which "Alice in Wonderland" is all about. And yeah.. I voted for it; simply because it's my favourite book. If Woot rejected it, however, I would understand.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:Hey, y'all, I really liked the look of my hands shirt, so I made a real entry version. Please, vote it up!

I know it's too late, but I think it's a nifty design.


thanks!



Dr. J,
looks like someone groped your right boobie a lot.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
eyeslikesugar wrote:I think that adds to the surreality, which "Alice in Wonderland" is all about. And yeah.. I voted for it; simply because it's my favourite book. If Woot rejected it, however, I would understand.



Ms. Sugar,
IMHO graffiti can look like anything, so no designs should have been rejectorated this week for being off-topic.

eyeslikesugar


quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
no1 wrote:Ms. Sugar,
IMHO graffiti can look like anything, so no designs should have been rejectorated this week for being off-topic.



I hold off-topic decisions at woot's choice.. I always prepare for my designs to get rejected.. every time.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
eyeslikesugar wrote:I hold off-topic decisions at woot's choice.. I always prepare for my designs to get rejected.. every time.


I agree that the final decision is always woot's... but I think it's not fair for designers to suffer grinding out an entry only to see it rejected because they failed to parse woot's often poorly-written description of the derby theme.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
no1 wrote:I agree that the final decision is always woot's... but I think it's not fair for designers to suffer grinding out an entry only to see it rejected because they failed to parse woot's often poorly-written description of the derby theme.



Agreed. WHat's more travel-related than a nice sofa with a floor lamp and cuddly pillow waiting for you when you get home after travelling?

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
kenney9226 wrote:Agreed. WHat's more travel-related than a nice sofa with a floor lamp and cuddly pillow waiting for you when you get home after travelling?


Nothing, IMHO, nothing.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
jamescho84 wrote:...deface all my shirts - I do see that in fun...,





not an entry, just seeing if I could do it...

Have a great day, everyone!

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
kenney9226 wrote:

not an entry, just seeing if I could do it...

Have a great day, everyone!



Hilarious! The caterpillar now looks like several walmart shoppers I've seen over the years