Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
kenney9226 wrote:

not an entry, just seeing if I could do it...

Have a great day, everyone!



dang, I really wish you had entered this kenney. that would have really made the end of the derby fun, as we all rushed to vote for such an affectionate jab.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Josephus wrote:dang, I really wish you had entered this kenney. that would have really made the end of the derby fun, as we all rushed to vote for such an affectionate jab.



thanks!

I just realized that probably this is the last derby for a while that stuff like this won't be outright rejected immediately. Mostly I was trying to see if I could figure out a way to make it look like the caterpillar's fancy lips were actually sucking the end of the tube there. I don't really know Cho well enough to know if he'd be offended or honored, or more importantly how his admirers would take this. It's hard to impress "lighthearted, all in good fun" intent...

Do you think maybe if kenney9227 had entered it, people wouldn't have suspected it was actually me?

Tomorrow's a new derby day, so we all have that to look forward to.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kenney9226 wrote:thanks!

I just realized that probably this is the last derby for a while that stuff like this won't be outright rejected immediately. Mostly I was trying to see if I could figure out a way to make it look like the caterpillar's fancy lips were actually sucking the end of the tube there. I don't really know Cho well enough to know if he'd be offended or honored, or more importantly how his admirers would take this. It's hard to impress "lighthearted, all in good fun" intent...

Do you think maybe if kenney9227 had entered it, people wouldn't have suspected it was actually me?

Tomorrow's a new derby day, so we all have that to look forward to.



Man, if *I'd* have entered it, they would have suspected it was you...

Lets see if You Suck is still alive... YES!!! It made it past Joel... but it's 116th

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Man, if *I'd* have entered it, they would have suspected it was you...

Lets see if You Suck is still alive... YES!!! It made it past Joel... but it's 116th



Waitjustaminute... Are you saying that my designs are easily identifiable?

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kenney9226 wrote:Waitjustaminute... Are you saying that my designs are easily identifiable?



Duuuuuhhh.... that's why you made it into the super-shirtoff- twice!

But don't knock it! You are one of the few (maybe only) native shirt.woot memes..

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Duuuuuhhh.... that's why you made it into the super-shirtoff- twice!

But don't knock it! You are one of the few (maybe only) native shirt.woot memes..



Yet, somehow, it hasn't caught on as much as I thought it would...

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kenney9226 wrote:Yet, somehow, it hasn't caught on as much as I thought it would...



I might do it with my goofball design this time. I don't really care that people groan..

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:I might do it with my goofball design this time. I don't really care that people groan..



One day, a groaner will win.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
kenney9226 wrote:One day, a groaner will win.

On America's funniest home videos, a "Groiner" always wins!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
kenney9226 wrote:thanks!

I just realized that probably this is the last derby for a while that stuff like this won't be outright rejected immediately. Mostly I was trying to see if I could figure out a way to make it look like the caterpillar's fancy lips were actually sucking the end of the tube there. I don't really know Cho well enough to know if he'd be offended or honored, or more importantly how his admirers would take this. It's hard to impress "lighthearted, all in good fun" intent...

Do you think maybe if kenney9227 had entered it, people wouldn't have suspected it was actually me?

Tomorrow's a new derby day, so we all have that to look forward to.



I think Cho would probably have loved it.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:I think Cho would probably have loved it.



The man's got a better sense of humor than we give him credit for I think...

But seriously, since his designs usually are pretty muted color-wise (usually in the same range of the spectrum), the red lips really pop out.

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:The man's got a better sense of humor than we give him credit for I think...

But seriously, since his designs usually are pretty muted color-wise (usually in the same range of the spectrum), the red lips really pop out.



heh heh, you said "pop out!"

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kenney9226 wrote:heh heh, you said "pop out!"



Lips that pop... sounds like a makeup ad.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24


I'm just sayin'. I know mine isn't as detailed as today's shirt, but I like this one better. Maybe I'm just biased! Why oh why didn't I think to make 2 smaller versions of the main skull, put them on the left and right, and submit it to Woot?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
shan24 wrote:Why oh why didn't I ... submit it to Woot?


Ms. Shan,
I wonder a lot why the better designers (everyone who made the "Best of Woot" derby!) don't submit directly to woot, rather than suffer the whims of a fickle voting public.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
no1 wrote:Ms. Shan,
I wonder a lot why the better designers (everyone who made the "Best of Woot" derby!) don't submit directly to woot, rather than suffer the whims of a fickle voting public.


PM, no1.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

NEW THEME...

Dreams. The visions and emotions we experience while asleep. The aspirations we hold for a better world. The things Billy Ocean commands us to get out of. Much has been said about the enigma of dreams, from Sigmund Freud to Martin Luther King, Jr. to Van Halen. Now it's your turn. Show us a shirt that explores, explains, embodies, or embiggens the concept of dreams.

NO TEXT this week.

Hey, voters: before you vote for a design, ask yourself how faithful to the theme it is. As always, we reserve the right to reject anything we want, but this will be a particularly tricky Derby to moderate. The responsible voter is our first line of defense against Derby scofflaws, and we know we can trust you to be responsible. You're not going to let us down, are you? After we said such nice things about you?

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Josephus wrote:dang, I really wish you had entered this kenney. that would have really made the end of the derby fun, as we all rushed to vote for such an affectionate jab.







Ah, my dream is to do you-know-what to otherwise winning T-shirt designs. How fast would these dreams get rejected?

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kenney9226 wrote:


Ah, my dream is to do you-know-what to otherwise winning T-shirt designs. How fast would these dreams get rejected?



I think this week they're going to be much more lenient with rejections, so if you can dream it, do it...

Trying to figure out how to pick 6 colors for a duck, squirrel, giraffe, spider, zoot creature, mouse, and monkey... that's going to be tough. EDIT: And leave bright red for puckers, perhaps?

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:I think this week they're going to be much more lenient with rejections, so if you can dream it, do it...

Trying to figure out how to pick 6 colors for a duck, squirrel, giraffe, spider, zoot creature, mouse, and monkey... that's going to be tough. EDIT: And leave bright red for puckers, perhaps?



there's plenty of that kind of love to go around, if you want it, man!

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
shan24 wrote:
I'm just sayin'. I know mine isn't as detailed as today's shirt, but I like this one better. Maybe I'm just biased! Why oh why didn't I think to make 2 smaller versions of the main skull, put them on the left and right, and submit it to Woot?



Agreed, Shan I so much would rather have yours than the one today. As an avid skull lover and huge fan of Dia de los muertos fan, yours is a hundred times more appealing, at first glance I saw the shirt and almost hit the orange button, but took a second look and saw it wasn't yours, and that it's just plain ugly. Sorry to see that happen.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

oh man, Most of my crappy creations that I already have done but never have submitted fit this, I think. This is going to be fun!

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

hooray! I'm on to my third idea, and this is the one that, I think, will convert a few more pucker lovers to join the movement!

I am so excited and I truly think this one has a chance!!!

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
darthv8r wrote:Agreed, Shan I so much would rather have yours than the one today. As an avid skull lover and huge fan of Dia de los muertos fan, yours is a hundred times more appealing, at first glance I saw the shirt and almost hit the orange button, but took a second look and saw it wasn't yours, and that it's just plain ugly. Sorry to see that happen.


Thanks so much! I am really going to make myself get a few of my designs up for sale. I think Spreadshirt is coming out ahead of the pack lately, so I will probably go there. I'll let ya know!

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
shan24 wrote:Thanks so much! I am really going to make myself get a few of my designs up for sale. I think Spreadshirt is coming out ahead of the pack lately, so I will probably go there. I'll let ya know!

Thanks, looking froward to it!

Kenney, let the pucker revolution begin!



kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
darthv8r wrote:Thanks, looking froward to it!

Kenney, let the pucker revolution begin!



should they have eyes this week or just be running blind?

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
kenney9226 wrote:should they have eyes this week or just be running blind?



blind

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:Ms. Shan,
I wonder a lot why the better designers (everyone who made the "Best of Woot" derby!) don't submit directly to woot, rather than suffer the whims of a fickle voting public.





I refuse to believe kenney (2 bests) is better designer than me (0 bests)

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:

I refuse to believe kenney (2 bests) is better designer than me (0 bests)



hear hear. he ought to be taken out!

JoeDeeDee


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
shan24 wrote:Thanks so much! I am really going to make myself get a few of my designs up for sale. I think Spreadshirt is coming out ahead of the pack lately, so I will probably go there. I'll let ya know!



Definitely let us all know here. And I'm not just saying that cause you are a contest judge

I agree with no1 that there are several designs/designers that might have more of a shot of getting printed if they were submitted directly to woot.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
JoeDeeDee wrote:I agree with no1 that there are several designs/designers that might have more of a shot of getting printed if they were submitted directly to woot.



That is 100% true. I suck at the derby (though I love it) so I probably would have only been printed once if not for the direct submissions. They seem to mainly be looking for variety, so if you have something that's unlike past shirts here, you've got a great shot.

I wish more people would take advantage of direct submissions- the derbiers tend to give Woot their best stuff, while people from other sites (*cough*Threadless*cough*) give their worst, so I think the site would be a better place if more derbiers took a chance.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
geekfactor12 wrote:That is 100% true. I suck at the derby (though I love it) so I probably would have only been printed once if not for the direct submissions. They seem to mainly be looking for variety, so if you have something that's unlike past shirts here, you've got a great shot.

I wish more people would take advantage of direct submissions- the derbiers tend to give Woot their best stuff, while people from other sites (*cough*Threadless*cough*) give their worst, so I think the site would be a better place if more derbiers took a chance.

Yes I agree. But the problem I had is that I never got an answer from Joel after I submitted an Idea. Probably cuase it sucked really bad and he is too nice to tell me, but I digress. Either way it would be refreshing to see derbiest making shirts instead of invites that probably never heard of woot.



darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

So can I get some major critism?
So the first one is A Pipe Dream


Second Tshirt is called A sweet dream/Lollipop nightmare
I tried to make this one look as if it is stuck on the shirt and stretching it, but kind of looks like a mohawk, I don't know.



This is a variation on it that I like better, where the sucker is just there, no stretch


Placement issues? Comments? Mints? Britney Spears?

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
darthv8r wrote:Yes I agree. But the problem I had is that I never got an answer from Joel after I submitted an Idea. Probably cuase it sucked really bad and he is too nice to tell me, but I digress. Either way it would be refreshing to see derbiest making shirts instead of invites that probably never heard of woot.



That's pretty typical for me, too- usually if they're not going to use it, they don't email at all (unless they want you to know the specific reason why it can't or won't print). Don't be discouraged by that, they just get a lot of submissions.

If at first you don't succeed, there's still $500 at stake next time More than worth the effort of sending another one, in my opinion.

Edited to add: I'm glad the pipe is back! I love that thing. My advice at this stage is that the awesome pipe is being overwhelmed by the dream cloud- I'd suggest making the cloud smaller and less boldly colored so that the pipe stands out more. Also, consider playing around with how you're mashing up the concepts of smoke and clouds- maybe there's a less circular, more organic way to show that which might be more true to its smoky qualities.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
geekfactor12 wrote:That's pretty typical for me, too- usually if they're not going to use it, they don't email at all (unless they want you to know the specific reason why it can't or won't print). Don't be discouraged by that, they just get a lot of submissions.

If at first you don't succeed, there's still $500 at stake next time More than worth the effort of sending another one, in my opinion.

Very true. Thanks for the info!

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
geekfactor12 wrote:
Edited to add: I'm glad the pipe is back! I love that thing. My advice at this stage is that the awesome pipe is being overwhelmed by the dream cloud- I'd suggest making the cloud smaller and less boldly colored so that the pipe stands out more. Also, consider playing around with how you're mashing up the concepts of smoke and clouds- maybe there's a less circular, more organic way to show that which might be more true to its smoky qualities.


GF: PM

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kenney9226 wrote:thanks!

I just realized that probably this is the last derby for a while that stuff like this won't be outright rejected immediately. Mostly I was trying to see if I could figure out a way to make it look like the caterpillar's fancy lips were actually sucking the end of the tube there. I don't really know Cho well enough to know if he'd be offended or honored, or more importantly how his admirers would take this. It's hard to impress "lighthearted, all in good fun" intent...

Do you think maybe if kenney9227 had entered it, people wouldn't have suspected it was actually me?

Tomorrow's a new derby day, so we all have that to look forward to.



I'm sure that changing your number would have been enough! He never would have known.


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Woohoo GF your button is bouncing! that's been rare for a daily, hasn't it?

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
shan24 wrote:Woohoo GF your button is bouncing! that's been rare for a daily, hasn't it?



I'm definitely shocked- I think it's been pretty rare since Christmas, maybe this means the sales are picking up in general... Might be good news for the derby shirts coming up, too!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
geekfactor12 wrote:That's pretty typical for me, too- usually if they're not going to use it, they don't email at all (unless they want you to know the specific reason why it can't or won't print). Don't be discouraged by that, they just get a lot of submissions.

If at first you don't succeed, there's still $500 at stake next time More than worth the effort of sending another one, in my opinion.



So... if you have a really good design you want to send directly to shirt.woot, who do you send it to? I've got a few that I don't want to enter just because I like them soo much.