Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
dontwantaname wrote:I did vote. YOU need a link for her shirt!
I doubt the school kids have a ton of woot accounts to vote for her!

done. let's not talk about what grade she's in, I hope she gets taken seriously. She can draw, boy can she draw.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:done. let's not talk about what grade she's in, I hope she gets taken seriously. She can draw, boy can she draw.

Sure can!
Somehow we only know boys that draw. They tend to like dark, strange stuff.
I checked the web site of one of daughters friends from HS. He is 25 now. Still drawing dark themes.
It is nice to see something more on the happy side!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:done. let's not talk about what grade she's in, I hope she gets taken seriously. She can draw, boy can she draw.

Dr. J,
Must come from her mother's side.

//runs away

no1

Josephus wrote:sigh. very nice. you have a recognizable style. if I did this it would be all over the place.

Dr. J,
My question is: is it preferable to get a shirt printed or to develop a "style"?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Winner! Vote kiwi! It's a bird *and* a fruit

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Dr. J,
My question is: is it preferable to get a shirt printed or to develop a "style"?

Depends on what you consider success. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

no1

superspryte wrote:Depends on what you consider success. ^_^

Ms. Spryte,
IMHO, the main goal in entering the Derby is to get your shirt printed, which Dr. J has succeeded at. For me, a secondary goal is to practice and develop my skill in producing T-shirt suitable art with which I am happy. Developing a distinct, consistent style comes behind these; I don't care as much if I have a recognizable style (unless it becomes consistently awful). I think Dr. J should be more pleased with his derby successes, and less displeased with his lack of "style," than his post implies.

Josephus

no1 wrote:Ms. Spryte,
IMHO, the main goal in entering the Derby is to get your shirt printed, which Dr. J has succeeded at. For me, a secondary goal is to practice and develop my skill in producing T-shirt suitable art with which I am happy. Developing a distinct, consistent style comes behind these; I don't care as much if I have a recognizable style (unless it becomes consistently awful). I think Dr. J should be more pleased with his derby successes, and less displeased with his lack of "style," than his post implies.

and I am. But I might be more adept at the derby if my designs were more recognizable as mine- I just don't know that I have that talent.
and I haven't been successful since Halloween, that is a long time. half of shirt woot's lifetime has passed without another design of mine gracing a shirt.

no1

Josephus wrote:and I am. But I might be more adept at the derby if my designs were more recognizable as mine- I just don't know that I have that talent.
and I haven't been successful since Halloween, that is a long time. half of shirt woot's lifetime has passed without another design of mine gracing a shirt.

dr. j,

pbpbpbpbpbpbbppbpppbbbppptttt. All of shirt woot's lifetime has passed without any design of mine gracing a shirt.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Josephus wrote:...I might be more adept at the derby if my designs were more recognizable as mine- I just don't know that I have that talent.

A recognizable style is like a double-edged sword. You might get comments like this:

tubway wrote:PUCKER MUST DIE!!!

I wouldn't say that my style is consistently awful, though, but it clearly polarizes and offends some for some reason. My entries are showing more technical ability each week, which makes me feel good.

And also I am pleased that woot continues to allow people like me, with proven track records of derby futility, to enter each week. And as wel all may or may not recall from the time travel derby, it's only a matter of time until I actually win (as evidenced by my souvenir winning T-shirt design that I brought back from derby 387).

Have a great day, and let's all do our best to make good entries for tomorrow!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:dr. j,

pbpbpbpbpbpbbppbpppbbbppptttt. All of shirt woot's lifetime has passed without any design of mine gracing a shirt.

Here here!

Still waiting...

Josephus

kenney9226 wrote:A recognizable style is like a double-edged sword. You might get comments like this:

flint-hearted wooter wrote:PUCKER MUST DIE!!!

I get comments like that anyway. :^|

anyway, I like your designs. and you have greatly improved your prowess. I shudder to see the day when the pucker joins the current trend and gets all soft and edgeless like tgentry did this week. (seriously, you ought to do one like that)

kenney9226

Josephus wrote:I get comments like that anyway. :^|

anyway, I like your designs. and you have greatly improved your prowess. I shudder to see the day when the pucker joins the current trend and gets all soft and edgeless like tgentry did this week. (seriously, you ought to do one like that)

YOUR WRITE! (and deepest apologies for forgetting the hot coals you have been raked through in the past for your entries. My negative comments are piffle compared with some of the carp piled on some of your works... I think it's cool you have no definite style, but what do I know? anyway...)

After noticing that "grunging up" was the sure way to go, I saw that this week a number of entries didn't have any lines to contain the colors. Clearly my entry this week demanded the "cartoon look," which obviously did not hit a resonant note with the general voting public.

So to summarize my confirmed truths about what makes a winning derby entry:
1) GRUNGE
2) NO LINES, JUST COLORS
3) SPLATTERS
4) SHEET MUSIC
5) TREES

I personally really like the evolution of the new cartoon puckers with arms and legs. Now that they're mobile, they can get into lots of mischievous trouble!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:YOUR WRITE! (and deepest apologies for forgetting the hot coals you have been raked through in the past for your entries. My negative comments are piffle compared with some of the carp piled on some of your works... I think it's cool you have no definite style, but what do I know? anyway...)

After noticing that "grunging up" was the sure way to go, I saw that this week a number of entries didn't have any lines to contain the colors. Clearly my entry this week demanded the "cartoon look," which obviously did not hit a resonant note with the general voting public.

So to summarize my confirmed truths about what makes a winning derby entry:
1) GRUNGE
2) NO LINES, JUST COLORS
3) SPLATTERS
4) SHEET MUSIC
5) TREES

I personally really like the evolution of the new cartoon puckers with arms and legs. Now that they're mobile, they can get into lots of mischievous trouble!

You forgot: shamelessly stealing/using vector scans from old illustrations and overlaying 5-6 ones such that they approximate the theme. Regardless of theme, an old wheel and wings are two must-use images.

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:You forgot: shamelessly stealing/using vector scans from old illustrations and overlaying 5-6 ones such that they approximate the theme. Regardless of theme, an old wheel and wings are two must-use images.

Oh, yes, the old "Indianapolis Motor Speedway" design, a/k/a "Harly Davidson-inspired." Don't be sleeping on that. But you must admit, those things are wicked cool!

Hey, I just realized that Valentine's Day is coming up, and what's more romantic than a crowd of luscious lips running across a golden field of grass to hug and kiss you silly?

Josephus

kenney9226 wrote:Oh, yes, the old "Indianapolis Motor Speedway" design, a/k/a "Harly Davidson-inspired." Don't be sleeping on that. But you must admit, those things are wicked cool!

Hey, I just realized that Valentine's Day is coming up, and what's more romantic than a crowd of luscious lips running across a golden field of grass to hug and kiss you silly?

at night!

kenney9226

Josephus wrote:at night!

Mr. Sephus, I have three words for you:

CLASSY, CLASSY, CLASSY!

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

Ah man, I thought that was a real entry. I was going to put that in my top ten puckers!
hmmmm
*compiles a list of top ten puckers*

kenney9226

darthv8r wrote:Ah man, I thought that was a real entry. I was going to put that in my top ten puckers!
hmmmm
*compiles a list of top ten puckers*

now you're just yanking my chain. "top ten" ought to be "least objectionable ten."

HA!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Oh, yes, the old "Indianapolis Motor Speedway" design, a/k/a "Harly Davidson-inspired." Don't be sleeping on that. But you must admit, those things are wicked cool!

Actually, that scares the holy cr*p outta me...

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
kenney9226 wrote:

I do too! I have to admit I like the pucker a lot better like this. And as you said, perfect for Valentines Day!

SkekTek

Here's my new design. Comments? Improvements?

darthv8r

SkekTek wrote:Here's my new design. Comments? Improvements?

Oh man that is great! I <3 me some buffet. Very funny Dr. T

darthv8r

PC is such a quitter

made this one up for invention derby, but decided it was too late to enter, what do ya'll think?

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
darthv8r wrote:PC is such a quitter

made this one up for invention derby, but decided it was too late to enter, what do ya'll think?

I hate it!!! D=

But I'm a PC girl.. ;)
(the lines are actually smooth, and nice)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

darthv8r

eyeslikesugar wrote:I hate it!!! D=

But I'm a PC girl.. ;)
(the lines are actually smooth, and nice)

Heh, thanks. PC guy, but vista makes me mad!

no1

darthv8r wrote:Heh, thanks. PC guy, but vista makes me mad!

Too bad you can't put a Vista screen on those antique computers, Lord v8r.

Josephus

I think it's the Puckerathon.

Josephus

OK, can anyone give me a quick pointer on how to make this hole look cylindrical?

and any other glaring stupidities in this design? (one of 3 I'm working on, I think)

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
darthv8r wrote:Heh, thanks. PC guy, but vista makes me mad!

Vista is terd.

no1

Josephus wrote:OK, can anyone give me a quick pointer on how to make this hole look cylindrical?

and any other glaring stupidities in this design? (one of 3 I'm working on, I think)

Dr. J,
Not a glaring stupidity, but it looks a little like the hole is covered by turf, rather than seeing the turf on the far side of the hole. Mabe it's just me, though. Was that your intention?

SkekTek

Okay, version 2 (actually version 1 with color). Questions:
1) Is the hand-drawn style cute enough? Or should it be more realistic? I do need to finish the hats and hands (on the top right guy).
2) Text good?
3) Colors?

Thanks!

Josephus

no1 wrote:Dr. J,
Not a glaring stupidity, but it looks a little like the hole is covered by turf, rather than seeing the turf on the far side of the hole. Mabe it's just me, though. Was that your intention?

no. good catch. think I should bury a pirate skeleton?

Josephus

Skek, I think the head on the bottom guy looks off in comparison to the other two.

no1

Josephus wrote:OK, can anyone give me a quick pointer on how to make this hole look cylindrical?

black case
dark gray lock
white clouds
blue sky
hole left dk brown
hole right lt brown
hole middle med brown different from shirt brown
green grass
blue pants
very dk brown shovel handle

no1

Josephus wrote:no. good catch. think I should bury a pirate skeleton?

Dr. J,
Pirates are always good for a few Derby votes!

darthv8r

Dr. J is he quitting digging because he can't find it or is he burying it?
As far as the hole you can see the top, but the bottom is obstructed, i would suggest putting a curve at the bottom like you did for the top. since it still isn't final, can I have a tree and roots? I like trees.

darthv8r

jbedwar1 wrote:Vista is terd.

Yes, yes it is.

darthv8r

SkekTek wrote:Okay, version 2 (actually version 1 with color). Questions:
1) Is the hand-drawn style cute enough? Or should it be more realistic? I do need to finish the hats and hands (on the top right guy).
2) Text good?
3) Colors?

Thanks!

Mmmm, the bottom reminds me of an egg, nice! The only thing I would change is make the chicken, not so....burnt. You have the orange you can use.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:Skek, I think the head on the bottom guy looks off in comparison to the other two.

Yeah, it's rounder. I'll work on making them all similar.