SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:OK, can anyone give me a quick pointer on how to make this hole look cylindrical?

and any other glaring stupidities in this design? (one of 3 I'm working on, I think)

Nice concept! I'd probably make the hole darker (ie- the tan on the right side would probably only go down a bit before the hole would be totally dark). Played with it in Paint shop pro, and I couldn't get it to look good either, so I can't help.

I'd probably add the occasional rock in the dirt around the hole, with maybe some random valuable items up near the surface right next to the surface (hence the dude has extraordinarily bad luck). I'd probably also have a broken (smashed?) shovel thrown into the hole instead of on his shoulder, implying he really gave up...

But these are just my impressions...

SkekTek

darthv8r wrote:Mmmm, the bottom reminds me of an egg, nice! The only thing I would change is make the chicken, not so....burnt. You have the orange you can use.

Great idea!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SkekTek wrote:Yeah, it's rounder. I'll work on making them all similar.

I'm a litle concerned by why the big boob on our left (her right, I guess) is green while the boob on the right (her left) is orange. and are you at all worried that the two running scenes look like two crabapples on there? my prediction, anyway, is that you're going to hear that comment more than once.

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Nice concept! I'd probably make the hole darker (ie- the tan on the right side would probably only go down a bit before the hole would be totally dark). Played with it in Paint shop pro, and I couldn't get it to look good either, so I can't help.

I'd probably add the occasional rock in the dirt around the hole, with maybe some random valuable items up near the surface right next to the surface (hence the dude has extraordinarily bad luck). I'd probably also have a broken (smashed?) shovel thrown into the hole instead of on his shoulder, implying he really gave up...

But these are just my impressions...

thanks for those. I was planning for a few rocks, and roots, though prolly not a whole tree, v8er, but I also thought a cutlass, maybe a pirate skeleton.

This is a long way from finished, probably won't get done until close to start time, but I think it will end up making it in.

hey, no1, I didn't realize I as quite that many colors, though the shovel handle is currently black like the treasure chest. looks like I may have to lose one of my brown colors, and the clouds. though if I can keep a grey, I might make clouds of it.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:I'm a litle concerned by why the big boob on our left (her right, I guess) is green while the boob on the right (her left) is orange. and are you at all worried that the two running scenes look like two crabapples on there? my prediction, anyway, is that you're going to hear that comment more than once.

Good to know. I could see if I could fit them all in a row, or just move everything down so they aren't boobular. Colors: the one is green (winner), the other one is supposed to be red (loser) but came out orange in the screen cap. I'll work on the whole thing tomorrow morn.

Josephus

I see now.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
SkekTek wrote:Okay, version 2 (actually version 1 with color). Questions:
1) Is the hand-drawn style cute enough? Or should it be more realistic? I do need to finish the hats and hands (on the top right guy).
2) Text good?
3) Colors?

Thanks!

I think a different font would work better. This one doesn't go with the drawing style. Maybe something more cartoony and/or handwriting style? Other than that, I like it. I do agree with Josephus's comments, though. Maybe moving the design down would help with that.

HiddenIdentity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HiddenIdentity

SkekTek

Here's my triumphant second design! I came across this driving to work and noticing a gap in a bunch of pigeons on a line. Tell me I rock! Oh, please?!!?

Josephus

Is this understandable as quitters?

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:Is this understandable as quitters?

Kinda. Looks more like printer issues than artists quitting. It's nice looking, but shirt color is eh, and the concept may be fundamentally flawed. Maybe if they were SEQUELS, and something suggesting that they were rejected??? EDIT: Ok, after I thought about it, they make more sense- the authors changed their minds on the subjects and improved them in stage 2!

Oh, and tgentry has a very similar concept to your quitting after digging the hole design... Except his guy is trolling for gold, not a treasure chest. You might want to put a crumpled treasure map in the hole...

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Kinda. Looks more like printer issues than artists quitting. It's nice looking, but shirt color is eh, and the concept may be fundamentally flawed. Maybe if they were SEQUELS, and something suggesting that they were rejected??? EDIT: Ok, after I thought about it, they make more sense- the authors changed their minds on the subjects and improved them in stage 2!

Oh, and tgentry has a very similar concept to your quitting after digging the hole design... Except his guy is trolling for gold, not a treasure chest. You might want to put a crumpled treasure map in the hole...

why printer issues? They are all very short books instead of the massive tomes the authors actually wrote for each of these. Had they been quitters, we would have gotten these books.

as far as tgentry, I haven't seen it, but he did one before, probably in the maps contest, so I'll leave it to him. unless I get inspired to do a pirate.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Any comments?

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
shan24 wrote:
Any comments?

I REALLY WANT ONE!!!

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:why printer issues? They are all very short books instead of the massive tomes the authors actually wrote for each of these. Had they been quitters, we would have gotten these books.

That's why I edited my comments... I finally "got it"... My first gut instinct was misprints.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
shan24 wrote:
Any comments?

I like the lime green/pink/blu/highlighter yellow, but not a big fan for the middle green, i would like a change on that bad boy to lime and you are golden. Great concept and execution!

SkekTek

darthv8r wrote:I like the lime green/pink/blu/highlighter yellow, but not a big fan for the middle green, i would like a change on that bad boy to lime and you are golden. Great concept and execution!

The funny thing, I thought of reusing my National Slacker Day design (guy asleep at his desk), but thought that being lazy wasn't being a quitter, so I didn't reuse it.

I like this design, and it should do well, if it makes it past Joel...

shan24

darthv8r wrote:I like the lime green/pink/blu/highlighter yellow, but not a big fan for the middle green, i would like a change on that bad boy to lime and you are golden. Great concept and execution!

Oops thanks, I didn't even realize they were different color greens, I like the lime too, that was unintentional. Someone said over in the other forum that it was hard to read because the letters weren't uniform...but I don't think so, you all can read it right? would you prefer either of these styles instead (I would add the color).

shan24

SkekTek wrote:The funny thing, I thought of reusing my National Slacker Day design (guy asleep at his desk), but thought that being lazy wasn't being a quitter, so I didn't reuse it.

Do you think it could get rejected? I'd say another word for quitter could be slacker?

SkekTek

shan24 wrote:Oops thanks, I didn't even realize they were different color greens, I like the lime too, that was unintentional. Someone said over in the other forum that it was hard to read because the letters weren't uniform...but I don't think so, you all can read it right? would you prefer either of these styles instead (I would add the color).

Oh, wow. I just can't decide. I'm not a fan of the last one since I kinda like the block letters look. I'm tossed up between the original and the top one here- I like the C and R on it, but the originals for everything else. IE- not really helping, am I? I guess the only one of the original I'm not a fan of is the C...

SkekTek

shan24 wrote:Do you think it could get rejected? I'd say another word for quitter could be slacker?

I just am not sure about the rejecterator anymore... if you have a good feeling, I'd go for it. I like it a lot!

shan24

SkekTek wrote:Oh, wow. I just can't decide. I'm not a fan of the last one since I kinda like the block letters look. I'm tossed up between the original and the top one here- I like the C and R on it, but the originals for everything else. IE- not really helping, am I? I guess the only one of the original I'm not a fan of is the C...

Nope that does help, thanks! I agree with you about the C and R. thanks for all the comments, guys

shan24

Josephus wrote:Is this understandable as quitters?

I like this idea, and the books look great. How did you do them? It took me a minute before I realized the list of authors and prices wasn't actually on the shirt. It's not, is it? I'm just trying to think of a way to get the idea across to the viewer a little faster. I would say you could stand them up like on a shelf but then you lose the whole style of the book covers showing...

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
SkekTek wrote:The funny thing, I thought of reusing my National Slacker Day design (guy asleep at his desk), but thought that being lazy wasn't being a quitter, so I didn't reuse it.

i was hoping you were going to use your slacker day design for the dreams derby .... i was all ready to vote for it and put one in my sig and everything. I loved that design.

shan24

SkekTek wrote:Okay, version 2 (actually version 1 with color). Questions:
1) Is the hand-drawn style cute enough? Or should it be more realistic? I do need to finish the hats and hands (on the top right guy).
2) Text good?
3) Colors?

Thanks!

i like this one a lot. I would change the font, maybe something more cartoony to match the style of the drawings? I don't know what font that is but it calls up memories of times new roman, italics. I agree with whoever said the turkey looks burnt. Ooh maybe you could do a little red lobster on the plate? Just a thought. Also maybe you could take out the yellow background on the buffet section, and make the 0:12 red? That would make it stand out from the other 2. Anyway, lobster would make me want to quit a marathon more than turkey. I had this joke when I was pregnant, people would ask what type of food I was craving, and I would always say "buffets!"

I really like your birds on the wire very much. It really doesn't need anything, it's great the way it is. The little birds' faces are funny. One tiny idea I did think of is maybe you could put a couple feathers around Bob's spot to show that he just flew away? Not needed but it could be funny.

shan24

jbedwar1 wrote:i was hoping you were going to use your slacker day design for the dreams derby .... i was all ready to vote for it and put one in my sig and everything. I loved that design.

I don't remember it...can you post a link?

jbedwar1

shan24 wrote:Do you think it could get rejected? I'd say another word for quitter could be slacker?

i'm worried that he might see "slacker" as not actually quitting, but just ....well...slacking. you know....going to do it later.... or doing a halfass job or whatever. But if it does make it past the rejection, i could see a lot of people voting for it. We all have a bit of a slacker in us.

SkekTek

jbedwar1 wrote:i was hoping you were going to use your slacker day design for the dreams derby .... i was all ready to vote for it and put one in my sig and everything. I loved that design.

Oh my, I didn't think about that as an entry! Next time, feel free to PM me if you see something like that!!!

SkekTek

shan24 wrote:I don't remember it...can you post a link?

It was this one. With the excitement (and vehemence) over the -1 design that came oh so close to winning, this is my great "I forgot about it" design.

jbedwar1

SkekTek wrote:Oh my, I didn't think about that as an entry! Next time, feel free to PM me if you see something like that!!!

yeah i figured without the text it would stand out more ..and maybe have him dreaming of sleeping.

SkekTek

jbedwar1 wrote:yeah i figured without the text it would stand out more ..and maybe have him dreaming of sleeping.

I would have probably had a dream of him sitting on a lounger with babes on his lap...

Josephus

This is my best, I think.
Why we never heard of da Vinci

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:This is my best, I think.

Holy smokes!! Excellent concept, Jos! Hard to see, but I really like the little details (like the side of the painting).

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Holy smokes!! Excellent concept, Jos! Hard to see, but I really like the little details (like the side of the painting).

thanks, I've been working on this like mad, I just really love the idea. I've improved the shadows a little bit, the lines keep going too long, I think, and fixed the left side of the painting where it wasn't lined up with itself. I think I'll show it over in the derby thread now. easel still needs some work on the paint blobs. not sure I can get them right. The one color on the easel that isn't in the painting is gone now. heh.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
Josephus wrote:This is my best, I think.

*giggles* tee-hees!! that is what I am doing now! damn you Dr. J! but yours looks alot better.

oh well vote for this one please!

edit:here it is, man great minds think alike huh Dr.J

SkekTek

Please vote for Bob!

SkekTek

darthv8r wrote:
edit:here it is, man great minds think alike huh Dr.J

Aw, man, you should have put a kenney-approved PUCKER down there!!!

SkekTek

I'm getting discouraged by the shirt derby voters. Two of the four foggers are people with access to vector clip art. And, just like I predicted, they both have wings.

...bleah... no love for original art anymore.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:I'm getting discouraged by the shirt derby voters. Two of the four foggers are people with access to vector clip art. And, just like I predicted, they both have wings.

...bleah... no love for original art anymore.

Next week-- FLYING PUCKERS!!!!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Next week-- FLYING PUCKERS!!!!

They're magically puckerishish.