SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Iambusyeating wrote:

Any sympathy votes for the huge and probably unneccesarry amount of time spent making this look 3d ish? Did it even work?

your tubes have villi! I'll give it a sympathy vote!

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

Hey, you all know that way in the future I'm going to emerge from the derby victorious in derby #387.

Do you think my vision may have been mistaken, and I actually win this week, with ENTRY #10387?

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Okay this is similar, but largely incomplete to my origional vision, but here is a shirt with the girl I've been flashing around.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:Okay this is similar, but largely incomplete to my origional vision, but here is a shirt with the girl I've been flashing around.

Bingo!

Here's one I'm NOT entering, but I wanted everyone to see it:

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:Bingo!

Here's one I'm NOT entering, but I wanted everyone to see it:

cute

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:cute

I wanted to do this earlier, but got distracted...

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:I wanted to do this earlier, but got distracted...

Shame, although I think the winning fishy was a bit better.

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho

I've got a late entry heading in, and I'd appreciate anyone taking a look and telling me what they think. It's just another of my regular silhouettes, but I'm fond of it, so click the image to go view it. And thanks.

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:Shame, although I think the winning fishy was a bit better.

It was. Hard to strike gold twice.

SkekTek

Please vote for a bent cartoon:

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

May as well post here too.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
no1 wrote:May as well post here too.

haqhahahahahahahah! YES! YES!

SkekTek

darthv8r wrote:haqhahahahahahahah! YES! YES!

v8r! You're alive! Oh, thank god! I can call off the bloodhounds and tell Chris to call off the news special...

SkekTek

no1 wrote:May as well post here too.

Very corny design...

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
SkekTek wrote:v8r! You're alive! Oh, thank god! I can call off the bloodhounds and tell Chris to call off the news special...

Yeah, Computer crashed Saturday, hopefully gets fixed soon work is ridiculously busy Lunch break fun is all I have!

SkekTek

darthv8r wrote:Yeah, Computer crashed Saturday, hopefully gets fixed soon work is ridiculously busy Lunch break fun is all I have!

Well, glad to see you're back... you were missed.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Hey, can I beg pleadingly for you all to vote for my newly submitted DBH entry? He's a bad boy mandrill.

If you aren't registered for DBH yet, you can't vote. You don't have to buy anythign to be able to vote, though.

crap, the PNG file turned my black rectangle behind the shirt to transparent.
I've sent them a new version, we'll see if they let me fix it- otherwise I'll have to withdraw it and resubmit.

SkekTek

Here's my last design this week. Feel free to not vote for it. Trying to put some oddball ones near the end so people vote for those and not the ones at the top...

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Here's my last design this week. Feel free to not vote for it. Trying to put some oddball ones near the end so people vote for those and not the ones at the top...

hm. I could do that, possibly. Think that is why Cho enters late entries?

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

now thats cute

Please check it out

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:hm. I could do that, possibly. Think that is why Cho enters late entries?

Sometimes I think people enter decent (but probably unlikely to contend) entries to try to distract the fly-by voters from the big hitters (ie- stop them before they can sort by vote). There's no other reason why the last few shirts before the derby entries close always seem to pick up 50+ votes... BTW- just opened a DBH account... gonna try to enter something over there.

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Sometimes I think people enter decent (but probably unlikely to contend) entries to try to distract the fly-by voters from the big hitters (ie- stop them before they can sort by vote). There's no other reason why the last few shirts before the derby entries close always seem to pick up 50+ votes... BTW- just opened a DBH account... gonna try to enter something over there.

boy, these people sure do everything they can to sway the voters.
I just thought those last few shirts got that many votes because they stay visible, with no new shirts sliding them down the list.

I like DBH a lot, actually. They payoff isn't as good as everyone thinks, because most winners only get the initial $750, which is $500 cash plus $250 store credit. Some people make money, but overall, woot may pay as well.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:boy, these people sure do everything they can to sway the voters.
I just thought those last few shirts got that many votes because they stay visible, with no new shirts sliding them down the list.

I like DBH a lot, actually. They payoff isn't as good as everyone thinks, because most winners only get the initial $750, which is $500 cash plus $250 store credit. Some people make money, but overall, woot may pay as well.

Somehow, I always thought that DBH was for the Chos and Jimiyos in the world- the ultra designers. But I have a few I could submit over there...

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

My thoughts about the shirts. Please note that if I say something negitave I'm not trying to be nasty, I don't think anything will come across that way, but sometimes I can be insensitive so please forgive me. Also rember that I am not a designer and I usually have no idea what I am talking about.

------Joe:
Baboon surfer:
Pros:
the water looks great, the fur is cute, and the shadow is great.
Cons:
I don't like the face as much as the rest of it, perhaps it is the mouth, but it doesn't look bad.
End result:
I like it!

Squiggle rain:
Pros :
Simple, one color, amphiGorey.
Cons:
Simple, one color, amphiGorey.
End result:
I like it. A nice shirt, that looks good, but prob isn't going to grab the woot crowd.

Baboon Face:
Pros:
Tribal, nice colors.
Cons:
I think I have a fear of apes/gorrilias etc. The piercings seem odd.
End result:
It scares me, and if it where to glow in the dark and I saw it I might piss my paints, but that is a personal problem. If I wasn't afraid of it I would like it.

------SkekTek:
evil sponge:
Pros:
Colors and details look great. Each water droplet is different. Idea is funny.
Cons:
Liked the drawings a little more (the sponge looked less evil and the droplets had more emotion IMO), but it still looks good, and you did a great gob going from pencil to vector.
End result:
I like it!

Lady Drop:
Pros:
Neat idea.
Cons:
I don't like neckid people, it makes me uncomfortable.
End result:
Another one where my personal oddness prevents me from liking it.

Eye of the storm:
Pros:
I like the pun, it looks cool, and it is simple/clean cut
Cons:
N/A
End result:
I like it!

-----KTc:
Gone Fishing:
Pros :
Simple, well done.
Cons:
Doesn't grab you attention.
End result:
I like the shirt, but I don't think it is what the shirt.woot crowd is looking for.

-----shan24
Umbrella and drops:
Pros:
Simple, clean.
Cons:
*shrug*
End result:
Another one I like.

Sea horse:
Pros:
Looks cool, clean cut.
Cons:
*shrug*
End result:
I like it!

-----No1:
Veggie Fight:
Pros:
Veggies are cute, although odd, looking
Cons:
Blood kind of ruins the cuteness and makes me feel uneasy
End result:
To bloody for my delicate self.

Still single, can't imagine why.

no1

FenStar wrote:-----No1:
Veggie Fight:
Pros:
Veggies are cute, although odd, looking
Cons:
Blood kind of ruins the cuteness and makes me feel uneasy
End result:
To bloody for my delicate self.

Mr. Star,

An excellent point. I wondered myself whether the red was over the top. I decided to include it since I hadn't used the sixth color yet, plus it emphasizes that they're not just hugging. Perhaps a mistake on my part...

Perhaps it's not blood, but rather V-8.

SkekTek

Fenstar- (didn't want to reply and have all that text there.)

Nice comments. I wish we could do this on shirt woot. IE- when commenting, have several buttons you could choose from 1-5 (poor-awesome): design idea, execution, fits with theme. Then each shirt has vote count, and average on the three scales. Then you can sort based on any of those as well. Therefore, you can look at the top great ideas, even if the execution isn't the best...

Just my 2 centimes.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
SkekTek wrote:Fenstar- (didn't want to reply and have all that text there.)

Nice comments. I wish we could do this on shirt woot. IE- when commenting, have several buttons you could choose from 1-5 (poor-awesome): design idea, execution, fits with theme. Then each shirt has vote count, and average on the three scales. Then you can sort based on any of those as well. Therefore, you can look at the top great ideas, even if the execution isn't the best...

Just my 2 centimes.

I would guess you would just end up getting just 1 stars and 5 stars, but it could be a good idea.

BTW, I guess chow got banned? Why, and how do I keep up with all the trouble he causes.

Still single, can't imagine why.

SkekTek

FenStar wrote:I would guess you would just end up getting just 1 stars and 5 stars, but it could be a good idea.

BTW, I guess chow got banned? Why, and how do I keep up with all the trouble he causes.

He didn't get banned, just put on probation. I do not know why, except what he said in one of his postings when he introduced his current fogger.

KtCallista

FenStar wrote:
(labeled as Skeks, but I am pretty sure this is mine.)
Lady Drop:
Pros:
Neat idea.
Cons:
I don't like neckid people, it makes me uncomfortable.
End result:
Another one where my personal oddness prevents me from liking it.

-----KTc:
Gone Fishing:
Pros :
Simple, well done.
Cons:
Doesn't grab you attention.
End result:
I like the shirt, but I don't think it is what the shirt.woot crowd is looking for.

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. In all honesty I am not crazy about the fishing shirt either. I originally thought of it as a backpacking shirt. I work in fisheries, but it is not really mything. I only submitted it because it was mostly done, but still the analysis is GREAT!

As for my girls/nymphs/ethereal naked chicks. Yeah I could totally see where the nakedness would be a problem. Believe it or not I am fairly conservative in what I wear and display as art in my home. Still wrapping them in wings or clothing did not work for the image and it was something I felt was better expressed as an ethereal nude. I am totally open to discussion on this matter, especially since I would like to eventually finish my full concept of design and possibly resubmit that for an appropriate derby. (in the full design as I see it - not drawn yet - all the girls are naked withing rain/tear droplets)

SkekTek

Please vote for the coolest cartoon you can carry on your chest

SkekTek

Last Hour for voting folks... I'd suggest throwing them behind Jadenkale's cutie nessie.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

this is shaping up to be a nailbiter for a few folks here.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Last Hour for voting folks... I'd suggest throwing them behind Jadenkale's cutie nessie.

Prof. Tek,

What?!? I only need 500 more votes and I'm in the fog!

Gumiho

*giggles*. At the moment, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place entries in the fog are all tie votes, I think.

SkekTek

NEW DERBY: Line Art

It's time to take simple lines and turn them into complex couture. Wikipedia calls line art "distinct straight and curved lines placed against a (usually plain) background, without gradations in shade or hue". Sounds about right to us. For the purposes of this Derby, let's be even more specific:

You may only use one ink color. This limitation is more true to the spirit of classic line art: engravings, pen-and-ink illustrations, etc. It can be any ink color you want.

No shading, no halftones, and no fills, unless they're simulated using lines. Yes, we understand some of you will call that big filled-in space a "line." We know you'll try to justify it with blurry old examples of line art where the cross-hatching has degenerated into what looks like a fill. Such foolishness is grounds for rejection. If we can't see daylight between your lines, that's a fill. Don't waste your time or ours.

As always, we reserve the right to reject any t-shirt design we cannot physically produce. Remember, the winning designs have to be silkscreened. We're not setting a hard limit on the size of your lines, but any line narrower than 1 point wide puts your design at risk of rejection.

Finally, no text. Let's throw that crutch away and walk upright

SkekTek

This time, I'm gonna kick Cho's arse... hardcore.

Gumiho

SkekTek wrote:This time, I'm gonna kick Cho's arse... hardcore.

I totally hope you do. 100%.

SkekTek

Gumiho wrote:I totally hope you do. 100%.

He doesn't stand a chance since BW art is my specialty. For me, color is hard to do.

Gumiho

SkekTek wrote:He doesn't stand a chance since BW art is my specialty. For me, color is hard to do.

You seem to do it fine. I'm excited about this. I have this innate distaste for the surefires and a hearty love for the underdogs.

SkekTek

Gumiho wrote:You seem to do it fine. I'm excited about this. I have this innate distaste for the surefires and a hearty love for the underdogs.

I'm finding it harder than I remember doing it all in Illustrator. I'm about 30% done... erk.