mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman
Josephus wrote:you're right, it wasn't an attempt. It was the act, pure and simple.

Geez, you make it sound so dirty.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
mwiseman wrote:Thank you, No.
I suppose I should quit now.

no!

help us, obi wan, you're our only hope!

next up for you: an HM, then a fog, then a print!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:no!

help us, obi wan, you're our only hope!

next up for you: an HM, then a fog, then a print!

Yeah! Keep forging ahead!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mwiseman wrote:Geez, you make it sound so dirty.

but, but, I said 'pure'.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:but, but, I said 'pure'.

pure filth

In other news... it's sunny here and it's cold and rainy in California. Poetic justice.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
Schrobblehead wrote:I finally got around to submitting something to threadless. How long does it usually take to be approved for rating?

Hey Schrobblehead. I gave you a $5 vote and a comment. Good luck!

SkekTek

Comments? I'm still not convinced I want to resub this...

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Comments? I'm still not convinced I want to resub this...

DO IT!! DO IT!! You "grunged it up" and it still looks greaT!

Make sure to post a note of all the little things you changed so we all know how much work you put into it. I think entries have been rejected if they weren't substantially different from the original entries. Perhaps (and I am not saying this because I don't like it, I'm just saying it for as an example) change colors, path of the nunchuck wire, or add something to the flat screen that looks like the dude's working out or something, and make notes so you can show everyone how NEW and DIFFERENT this one is from the first time you entered it.

YAY PROFESSOR TEK!!

...where's the shirt comp?

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:DO IT!! DO IT!! You "grunged it up" and it still looks greaT!

Make sure to post a note of all the little things you changed so we all know how much work you put into it. I think entries have been rejected if they weren't substantially different from the original entries. Perhaps (and I am not saying this because I don't like it, I'm just saying it for as an example) change colors, path of the nunchuck wire, or add something to the flat screen that looks like the dude's working out or something, and make notes so you can show everyone how NEW and DIFFERENT this one is from the first time you entered it.

YAY PROFESSOR TEK!!

...where's the shirt comp?

The shirt comp is for when I'm happy with the design (the photoshop document I made this from is the template, but I wanted to showcase the design.

What I did- removed a lot of black lines on the outsides so there's shirt shining through, and did the same for all the hieroglyphs (removed the tan inside lines in lieu of the shirt color). That took a lot of fiddling. Also, the little dudes had a lot of changes as well- futzed with the necklaces, hair styles, repositioning, Wiiboard feet updating, and making sure all the shapes were >1 pt thickness. Took me about 2-3 hours since my "original" was merged and flattened- deleting the black lines resulted in lots of dudes without hair

I'm still gonna play with it more though. The picture on the plasma is a good idea. Need to get a screencap of the Wii Fit chick

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:The shirt comp is for when I'm happy with the design (the photoshop document I made this from is the template, but I wanted to showcase the design.

What I did- removed a lot of black lines on the outsides so there's shirt shining through, and did the same for all the hieroglyphs (removed the tan inside lines in lieu of the shirt color). That took a lot of fiddling. Also, the little dudes had a lot of changes as well- futzed with the necklaces, hair styles, repositioning, Wiiboard feet updating, and making sure all the shapes were >1 pt thickness. Took me about 2-3 hours since my "original" was merged and flattened- deleting the black lines resulted in lots of dudes without hair

I'm still gonna play with it more though. The picture on the plasma is a good idea. Need to get a screencap of the Wii Fit chick

I'm convinced! Your v.1 was loved by all the little 9226es and they probably would have made me buy one for them had it been printed.

Yay, Wiigyptians!

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:I'm convinced! Your v.1 was loved by all the little 9226es and they probably would have made me buy one for them had it been printed.

Yay, Wiigyptians!

But here's the rub.... I can sell it NOW off of spreadshirt, or submit it to Threadless. I don't HAVE to go the derby route, where draxxx is prolly gonna win along with fablefire... decisions decisions...

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:But here's the rub.... I can sell it NOW off of spreadshirt, or submit it to Threadless. I don't HAVE to go the derby route, where draxxx is prolly gonna win along with fablefire... decisions decisions...

oh. Well, if it's all the same, I prefer all my rejections to come from the centralized shirt derby... I shall have three to enter-- sadle I'll be gone and will miss the starting time to submit 'em.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:oh. Well, if it's all the same, I prefer all my rejections to come from the centralized shirt derby... I shall have three to enter-- sadle I'll be gone and will miss the starting time to submit 'em.

Pity for you. I'm sitting in my office, so I got time. Though I keep fiddling with the damn design, so maybe I'll be late too if I decide to submit. I got one other (ants carrying a cake and a cake cutter)...

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Pity for you. I'm sitting in my office, so I got time. Though I keep fiddling with the damn design, so maybe I'll be late too if I decide to submit. I got one other (ants carrying a cake and a cake cutter)...

if you respond in the NEXT 5 MINUTES I can email mine to you and you can submit them as ******###5. No one will know the difference!!

I have one that's all text, one that's mostly text, and one that's pretty bad.

It's going to be a great week!

Josephus

Here's mine.

note to d'name: it's supposed to be backwards, the text. ;^)

yigzat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yigzat
kenney9226 wrote:if you respond in the NEXT 5 MINUTES I can email mine to you and you can submit them as ******###5. No one will know the difference!!

I have one that's all text, one that's mostly text, and one that's pretty bad.

It's going to be a great week!

Whatever happened to PotRoastPete?

kenney9226

Dr. Sephus, I am sorry I did not consult with you about my entry here-- I like yours better!

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Here's mine. Seemed funny at the time...

arcsus

So I am still struggling so far. I had a couple clever ideas this week, but decided to throw those out and go with something more abstract again. I'm not purposely trying to see if I can hit lower than my all-time low vote total (Currently 16!)but their are plenty of other artists out there to make comics. Here's what I've been playing around with, they are spokes/hub on a bicycle. I like how they make a star figure in the middle. It needs something though. I actually think it would be nice to offset it, and make it a bigger all-over belt print, but alas that exceeds Woot's capabilities. Any thoughts?

kenney9226

Special thanks to Josephus for his suggestion of making the background all little puckers!

arcsus

kenney9226 wrote:

Special thanks to Josephus for his suggestion of making the background all little puckers!

Yeah the pucker half-tones are a nice touch!

SkekTek

Here's the final comp. Here's what I want to do, in decreasing preference. Please weigh in since I respect all of your opinions...

1) Submit it to Threadless. Yay threadless.
1.5) Submit to Cameesa.
2) Print it on Spreadshirt (try to keep the price right around $15).
3) Submit it to the Derby.
4) Work on it further.

SkekTek

VOTE VOTE VOTE (Please, get me past 10 votes!)

Josephus

arcsus wrote:So I am still struggling so far. I had a couple clever ideas this week, but decided to throw those out and go with something more abstract again. I'm not purposely trying to see if I can hit lower than my all-time low vote total (Currently 16!)but their are plenty of other artists out there to make comics. Here's what I've been playing around with, they are spokes/hub on a bicycle. I like how they make a star figure in the middle. It needs something though. I actually think it would be nice to offset it, and make it a bigger all-over belt print, but alas that exceeds Woot's capabilities. Any thoughts?

You might stick a card in there. used to be all bikes had cards stuck in there to make noise when you rode 'em.

Josephus

kenney9226 wrote:

That's awesome.

arcsus

Josephus wrote:You might stick a card in there. used to be all bikes had cards stuck in there to make noise when you rode 'em.

Yeah there you go! A PLAYING card though...not a baseball card. One would NEVER sacrifice a baseball card for that, even if it was one you had triplicates of.

This is what I'd like to do, I like this much better. I may just save this for now and submit it to Cameesa later.

SkekTek

arcsus wrote:Yeah there you go! A PLAYING card though...not a baseball card. One would NEVER sacrifice a baseball card for that, even if it was one you had triplicates of.

This is what I'd like to do, I like this much better. I may just save this for now and submit it to Cameesa later.

Either choice is a good one. I'd rather have a full-frontal design (hehheheehee) than the little box, from a cyclist's point of view. I'd also experiment with a yellow shirt and possibly silver reflective lines too!

arcsus

SkekTek wrote:Either choice is a good one. I'd rather have a full-frontal design (hehheheehee) than the little box, from a cyclist's point of view. I'd also experiment with a yellow shirt and possibly silver reflective lines too!

Hey thanks for the feedback! I agree the full-frontal (hahaaahah) is better. I originally was thinking lemon, but it's not my favorite color. Although I'm not much of a cyclist either. Maybe Cameesa has some different color choices. I'll have to look into it. Maybe a brighter yellow would be better.

arcsus

mwiseman wrote:
Here's mine. Seemed funny at the time...

That's great. Reminds me of the SNL Belushi skit with him pole vaulting after a breakfast of little chocolate donuts and cigarettes.

arcsus

SkekTek wrote:Here's the final comp. Here's what I want to do, in decreasing preference. Please weigh in since I respect all of your opinions...

1) Submit it to Threadless. Yay threadless.
1.5) Submit to Cameesa.
2) Print it on Spreadshirt (try to keep the price right around $15).
3) Submit it to the Derby.
4) Work on it further.

I really like your distressing technique. Looks good! Wherever you end up putting it I'll vote/support.

SkekTek

arcsus wrote:I really like your distressing technique. Looks good! Wherever you end up putting it I'll vote/support.

I went out and found a cool marble slab photo, livetraced it to b/w, then overlaid it on the graphic. Then, took a bunch of minus transformations to take the pattern out of each ink color (took a while). I think it's a bit blocky, and I should have repositioned it so that Tut's mask is not quite so nose-missingish, but I already got that far...

I'm not submitting it to Woot, since there are several designs which are totally kick-butt, and this wouldn't stand a chance. I really like the egg one, and the b/w dino chasing the person design.

AND KENNY'S PUCKER!

arcsus

SkekTek wrote:I went out and found a cool marble slab photo, livetraced it to b/w, then overlaid it on the graphic. Then, took a bunch of minus transformations to take the pattern out of each ink color (took a while). I think it's a bit blocky, and I should have repositioned it so that Tut's mask is not quite so nose-missingish, but I already got that far...

I'm not submitting it to Woot, since there are several designs which are totally kick-butt, and this wouldn't stand a chance. I really like the egg one, and the b/w dino chasing the person design.

AND KENNY'S PUCKER!

Nice. Never thought of using a photo of marble. I've done the "crinkled up paper with black toner" trick before though.

I agree. I've decided to shelve my spokes idea for now and submit elsewhere. Seems like the more and more I design, the less "woot" worthy my entries become. My very first entry was a Row V Wade idea that was very poorly executed - but the idea was there obviously! My second entry ever got 400+ votes and 11th place, but it's been a serious downhill slide since then.

SkekTek

arcsus wrote:Nice. Never thought of using a photo of marble. I've done the "crinkled up paper with black toner" trick before though.

I agree. I've decided to shelve my spokes idea for now and submit elsewhere. Seems like the more and more I design, the less "woot" worthy my entries become. My very first entry was a Row V Wade idea that was very poorly executed - but the idea was there obviously! My second entry ever got 400+ votes and 11th place, but it's been a serious downhill slide since then.

Trust me, I've gotten 4th place three times, 5-6 another couple, but only one print. That was 50-60 DERBIES ago... and the quality in the last 30 has gotten REALLY high, so unless I strike the tone perfectly, I usually get 50-100 votes. Not that I'm complaining, I do well, but the lack of woot HM's in the last two do-overs despite the success has hurt...

arcsus

SkekTek wrote:Trust me, I've gotten 4th place three times, 5-6 another couple, but only one print. That was 50-60 DERBIES ago... and the quality in the last 30 has gotten REALLY high, so unless I strike the tone perfectly, I usually get 50-100 votes. Not that I'm complaining, I do well, but the lack of woot HM's in the last two do-overs despite the success has hurt...

Yeah I really think your LPod design should have got an HM or something. Didn't it get like 4th or 5th?

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
arcsus wrote:Hey Schrobblehead. I gave you a $5 vote and a comment. Good luck!

Thanks! Just noticed this. Seems to be going well, but I don't expect much.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

arcsus

Schrobblehead wrote:Thanks! Just noticed this. Seems to be going well, but I don't expect much.

I don't know the first thing about Threadless. Ultimately it's up to them if it prints, correct?

SkekTek

arcsus wrote:Yeah I really think your LPod design should have got an HM or something. Didn't it get like 4th or 5th?

I think it was around 6th.. Was pretty far from the leaders, but it was submitted late. I also was bummed out. Ah well. Means I can offer it in a rainbow of colors sometime later

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
arcsus wrote:I don't know the first thing about Threadless. Ultimately it's up to them if it prints, correct?

That's what I understand. The design already finished 9th in a derby and top 25 in a do-over so any chance I have to get it printed is worth a shot.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

arcsus

Schrobblehead wrote:That's what I understand. The design already finished 9th in a derby and top 25 in a do-over so any chance I have to get it printed is worth a shot.

I think it has a great shot. Looks like you've been getting some good comments so far.

arcsus

SkekTek wrote:I think it was around 6th.. Was pretty far from the leaders, but it was submitted late. I also was bummed out. Ah well. Means I can offer it in a rainbow of colors sometime later

Yep, I never realized how many other shirt sites are out there.