Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

Nutrition Pinata FTW.

Elchiva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elchiva

I personally think we should finally let pucker boy win this week. We all know we love the designs, they make us laugh, and I really want to wear this shirt http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=4626

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
barthesis wrote:Whoa Damien, I didn't even look at the artist name... you did them both! What a range of style... I'm pulling for both.

same here -
both are beautifully executed, albeit in completely different styles.
I'm pulling for the blob as well... and, well...

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Hey, I was looking at the woot pantone colors list for the shirt fabric, and am puzzled about the Navy blue.
They list Pantone 532C as the Navy blue, but it doesn't look at all blue to me-Tgentry's Navy blue does, though, which seems to be Pantone 295C.
Here are some of the Pantone colors I was looking at for Navy blue- did Woot err, or is my monitor screwed up? THanks for any replies.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
8taxi wrote:I think the next theme should be NINJAS, cuz someone, including myself always finds a way to tie ninjas to the theme.

Only if there's an "absolutely no ninja" rule for every theme thereafter.

Elchiva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elchiva
Josephus wrote:Hey, I was looking at the woot pantone colors list for the shirt fabric, and am puzzled about the Navy blue.
They list Pantone 532C as the Navy blue, but it doesn't look at all blue to me-Tgentry's Navy blue does, though, which seems to be Pantone 295C.
Here are some of the Pantone colors I was looking at for Navy blue- did Woot err, or is my monitor screwed up? THanks for any replies.

Some of them seem more like a dark turquoise to me actually. It might be your moniter, but Im not sure. I have no knowledge of what it looks like on there. Although, 281c looks to be the closest to navy blue.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

riffmaster18 wrote:
I'm pulling for the blob as well...

Thanks for the support, though it looks like both of my entries have peaked. I think I'll go enjoy the rest of my weekend. Good luck everyone.

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
hotcha42 wrote:Thanks! I'll definitely check that out. I'm surprised it's doing so well, myself. I just happened to be at work when the theme was announced and when I made the design, and that pretty much describes my job...guess I'm not alone in that.

As for the relevance, agreed it's not specifically food related, but the contest rules specify "captures some striking nutrition-related visual image" for which a nutrition label pretty well fits the bill, I think.

Now that my design is getting a little bit slammed, I really feel like I've arrived ;)

I personally don't think your entry is off-topic at all. It's sort of a "spiritual nutrition" type thing. If you want to take a picky stance, I think a lot of the entries so far aren't as nutrition themed as they are just food themed, but there seems to be a bit of leeway this week on that, which is good IMO.

briannyc128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
Josephus wrote:Hey, I was looking at the woot pantone colors list for the shirt fabric, and am puzzled about the Navy blue.

Unfortunately, the only real way to see what a pantone color actually looks like is to get yourself a set of pantone swatchbooks, which probably wouldn't cost any more if they were printed on gold.

I do a lot of print-related stuff in my 9-5 and we usually work in CMYK throughout the process until the end when we pull pantone chips to match the screen colors and then convert document colors from there.

For added fun, the printer we have in our office that we use to mock up books etc. for clients pushes magenta, so half the time we have to tweak colors again for mockups. Ultimately though, there's nothing about pantone colors that make them any more reliable from screen to print than any other color format.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

[quote postid="1668893" user="Josephus"]Hey, I was looking at the woot pantone colors list for the shirt fabric, and am puzzled about the Navy blue.

There were a lot of comments in the forum regarding the Candy Corn Cannibalism tshirt. Many posts commented that the tee looked too black to be considered navy. Some people even bought it believing that it was a black tee. I bought one, so I'll check the color next to the swatches when it arrives. But, given how dark pantone 532c appears in the swatch, then this probably is the one that woot is using. (Go check out the candy corn cannibalism listing from today and you'll see how different the shirt looks.)

IMHO - I think Pantone 289C and 540C look like the "navy" that I'm used to seeing. Not that this means anything. :o)

Josephus

AttilaTheMom wrote:Well yes it does, but BLEAH! ;)

heh. might be good. They prolly feed the worms Kobe beef for a couple of weeks before serving them. and snail is good, why not slug?

I've revised it and will post a new version entry soon. better done, I think.

Edit: So, I guess there's not a lot of support for the woot Navy blue color- Do you think all our monitors are off? For me, it has a real magenta tone to it. or is it hue?
I'm assuming that their card matches the shirt Navy color. I don't want to post my entry displaying that color if no-one sees it as Navy, but this magenta sort of shade.

calypso71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calypso71

My favorites so far this week:

vishneda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
briannyc128 wrote:I personally don't think your entry is off-topic at all. It's sort of a "spiritual nutrition" type thing. If you want to take a picky stance, I think a lot of the entries so far aren't as nutrition themed as they are just food themed, but there seems to be a bit of leeway this week on that, which is good IMO.

It's not further from the topic than pronunciation of words or vegetables fighting. It's a parody of a nutrition related concept (and a very good reproduction of that government-mandated pack of lies).

vishneda

If the navy shirts actually look like what I am seeing on my screen for 532c then I think I am done designing navy shirts. I think I need to buy one and find out.

rhpatel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhpatel
calypso71 wrote:My favorites so far this week:

you like tomatoes huh? what about apples!

rhpatel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhpatel
tgentry wrote:Loss in bone density due to zero gravity? Not with 2% Low-Gravity Milk! Now with flavor!...

With added hand drawn calcium.

i like this design alot. very creative.

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
calypso71 wrote:My favorites so far this week:

Hey, thanks!

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

insanecarbonbasedlif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanecarbonbasedlif
klswoot wrote:Pretty self-explanatory. There's good food and bad food. Beans are no exception. Good for you because they are high in iron and protein, but they have that nasty side-effect of...well, ya' know....GAS! Here's one for the mighty legume. Fun and whimsical.
img

Just wanted to give you some feedback - I like the concept, and the bean's face is great, but the tomato and carrot don't look like hands at first, more like weird mustaches or something. I would think making them the color of the vegetable with a small black outline might look more like arms at first glance.

klswoot

insanecarbonbasedlif wrote:Just wanted to give you some feedback - I like the concept, and the bean's face is great, but the tomato and carrot don't look like hands at first, more like weird mustaches or something. I would think making them the color of the vegetable with a small black outline might look more like arms at first glance.

Good thinking! I'm new to using Inkscape and was just 'fiddling' with options. I'm so used to painting with brushes on canvas and or pen/ink on paper. It's a whole new world designing with a keyboard and mouse. I think I may invest in a tablet with pen so that I feel like I can draw with more freedom. (If that makes any sense)

Any suggestions on a good tablet and pen for inkscape?

shinratype26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinratype26

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=4842
Oh man, I almost missed this one. I think I just passed over the 240x240 without thinking too much (shame on me!) but now that I see the 600x600, I really like it.

It reminds me of myself.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
klswoot wrote:Any suggestions on a good tablet and pen for inkscape?

There's a good thread on tablet experiences here.

klswoot

shan24 wrote:There's a good thread on tablet experiences here.

That's a fantastic link. Thank you so much.

BTW - LOVE YOUR DESIGN! It's great!

Josephus

A better sushi design- omakase (chef's choice)

klswoot

[quote postid="1668943" user="Josephus"]A better sushi design- omakase (chef's choice)

Much better! Now you can really see those little critters! Might not eat sushi for awhile, though! :o)

fackoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fackoph
snarkygal wrote:How is this related to the theme this week?

Since you asked... I wanted to show the vunerability of man. Generally, predators think of themselves as invincible, even though the next most dangerous thing is just around the corner (think the slime monster in "EATING HEALTHY"). And, while people generally think they are invincible, we are seen as meals to things as simple as bugs. This reminded me of an animal planet show that ranked man as 2nd most dominant hunter on the planet. Who was #1? The fly.

fackoph

fablefire wrote:Reminds me of the Old Lady song...

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider... that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her... she swallowed the spider to catch the fly, I don't know why she swallowed a fly... perhaps she'll die.

imcompa wrote:love it.

Thank you both for your kind words :-)

klswoot

fackoph wrote:Thank you both for your kind words :-)

fackoph -
First thing I thought of when I saw your design was 'west nile' ... guess I was thinking mosquitos rather than flies. Guess this could also have a bird flu connection...if you stopped with a chicken or turkey for example and then had the poultry being the enemy to man.

I think your design is great and has an important message.

Stenz35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stenz35

The masked chili pepper of Zoro fighting for the rights of Nutrition.

fackoph

klswoot wrote:fackoph -
First thing I thought of when I saw your design was 'west nile' ... guess I was thinking mosquitos rather than flies. Guess this could also have a bird flu connection...if you stopped with a chicken or turkey for example and then had the poultry being the enemy to man.

I think your design is great and has an important message.

You got me thinking... what is the differnence between a fly and a mosquito? So, I went to Wikipedia to find out... Seems fly is the order and mosquito is a family under it (for reference). Wow woot... tricking me into learning something... on a Saturday no less :-(

shmeedles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmeedles

anyone else extremely annoyed that bummer fell out of the top four?

Edit: Well, nevermind for the moment. I gave it one vote and it went back into the top 4 >>

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
AdderXYU wrote:This is why text should be used sparingly. "Spinach," "Surgeon," and for that matter, "Surgeon General's", not other way around.

I'd also argue that "popeye like" should be spelled with a capital and a hyphen (Popeye-like).

All the wooters out there who have ever whined when people tell them to spell better... "I'm not in English Class, I can spel lyk I wont!"... This is exactly why you should have paid attention in, yknow, third grade.

I have too many pictures of the same file on me computer and I was tired when I posted it, It went thru the spell checker. and I just uploaded the wrong file ( I have a real job and work 12 hours a day so this is just for fun) At least I know the difference between pg-13 and R ratings. unlike some of you other kids. its been corrected. but thanks for your understanding.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

vishneda

shinratype26 wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=4842
Oh man, I almost missed this one. I think I just passed over the 240x240 without thinking too much (shame on me!) but now that I see the 600x600, I really like it.

It reminds me of myself.

Thanks for talking it up. My wife says I should have used a different shirt color.

Josephus

klswoot wrote:[quote postid="1668943" user="Josephus"]A better sushi design- omakase (chef's choice)

Much better! Now you can really see those little critters! Might not eat sushi for awhile, though! :o)

thanks. I think its a lot better. A day late, but a good shirt.
weird how I saw so many flaws after I posted the original, and didn't see any of them when I posted it.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Josephus wrote:thanks. I think its a lot better. A day late, but a good shirt.
weird how I saw so many flaws after I posted the original, and didn't see any of them when I posted it.

I was the same way don't feel bad.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

skelator818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skelator818

Looking good once again Barthesis - This one gets my vote!
Fat man in a little shirt

Come on Bandolier of Carrots!

tholex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tholex

My first real attempt at the derby, the pomegranade (been up for a few hours):

I think I could make the pin look a little more like a grenade. Decided not to make the grooves like a grenade - might lose a lot of the pome, if you know what I mean. Also could've gone w/ black background, but I thought this would be more original.

Any suggestions on how to make the shirt comp not look crappy? I'm doing least <500k compression png and it looks like it came out of a trashcan (it's like 550x600 px)

shinratype26

vishneda wrote:Thanks for talking it up. My wife says I should have used a different shirt color.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that you did sugar crash, too. I voted for that one as well.
You're really having a shinratype26-pleasing derby.

I think a different shirt color would have gotten a few more votes, too. But I like the light blue. I was really surprised when derek's sun decay got printed because of the color.

shinratype26

tholex wrote:
I think I could make the pin look a little more like a grenade. Decided not to make the grooves like a grenade - might lose a lot of the pome, if you know what I mean. Also could've gone w/ black background, but I thought this would be more original.

I think that if a pomegranate exploded it would be absolutely terrible. Have you seen the arylls (spelling?) in those things? It would be worse than shrapnel, IMHO.

veloxvulpes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veloxvulpes
tholex wrote:Any suggestions on how to make the shirt comp not look crappy? I'm doing least <500k compression png and it looks like it came out of a trashcan (it's like 550x600 px)

If you save your detail image as a 240x240 px jpg, and your shirt comp as a 600x600 px jpg, you should be good. Woot's going to convert any files that aren't that size, or aren't JPGs, to those specifications on the fly.

Welcome to the derby! I hope you have fun here, I know I have.