Wangus8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wangus8

It is Tuesday already? I swear I just finished writing this thing for the Halloween week. *Yawn* … Alright, alright already. Just let me go freshen up; I’ll be out in a few moments.


Woo! Let’s hear some noise Woundupers (yes, I will continue to mash this word into new and terrible forms)! Put your hands together and cheer. Woundup! Woundup! Woundup! It’s time for the one, the only (thank heavens it’s the only), Wangus’ Weekly Woot Woundup! Accept no imitations! Or, um, accept them, but still come back to me. Please? … Please come back … I’m … I’m so lonely…. So alone. *sniff*

(All thoughts and decisions are not necessarily affiliated with woot or the woot broadcasting network. But you know, they could be. I bet that the staffers are looking at some of the submissions laughing their collective asses off sometimes. They’d of course, be sitting atop bean bag chairs made of money, because that’s how I usually imagine the woot offices are. And I bet at least a few of them have tried to submit a design under a false screen name. Yes, I’m on to you! All rights reserved.)

The Theme: Nutrition? Apparently. I’ll be straight with you readers: unlike the past two weeks where I have had to leave a number of shirts I liked behind because there were simply too many, I’ve actually had to scan through a couple times over to find shirts to put into this WWWW because I just don’t think the designs are overall as fantastic as weeks past. I know full well that I couldn’t do any better, and in fact, I blame this tragedy not on the designs, but on the theme itself. This theme was pretty hard to work with, and a large majority of shirts suffer from title/derby-dependencitis by necessity, which you’ll see mentioned more than once in the upcoming reviews. Here’s to a better theme next week.

The FoxBox!

Powered By Cheese by briannyc128: Our favorite 128th Brian to live in New York City (ever) is finally in the box, and it’s well deserved (especially after his lost ‘lope showing). Now, I’ll be honest, I love cheese, regardless of the fact that I’m not supposed to eat it if I wish to remain … um, alive, which ultimately means that I probably won’t buy it. However, the design is simplistic and catchy and looks fantastic on the shirt. The bar reminds me of those old video games where life bars were apples or some other ridiculous object.
Verdict: Good job, Brian.

Sugar bsod by vishneda: I have actually been asked what bsod is a couple of times, so in case you are wondering (and google is somehow not working for you) it’s the dreaded Blue Screen of Death that often occurs with a computer crash. This shirt is just pure nerdapalooza, from the bsod itself to the chemistry nod. I get that the woot base is pretty far on the geek side, but even as a self-proclaimed nerd I don’t think I’d be too interested in actually buying the shirt. Also, I don’t like the idea of giving people an excuse to stare at me while trying to finish reading my clever shirt.
Verdict: Good for a laugh, but not my ten dollars.

Say No To Scurvy by fablefire: Dammit. I seem to be damning fablefire a lot, but its not my fault he/she is so unfairly talented. The style and humor always resonates with what I like, and I’m even (gasp) accepting of words in fablefire’s designs. I mean, it’s an orange! In a pirate outfit! How am I supposed to resist this? It’s clever and clean and I pretty much just stupidly love it. One caveat? There were some concerns with the size of the design, and while woot will likely just scrunch/crop the image, I’d beware of how it turns out. I’d hope that they’d contact fablefire first so he/she can work something out with them rather they just making some messed up executive decision.
Verdict: I’m hooked (yarr).

The Cake Is A Liar by geekfactor12: Um… I don’t get it. But over 300 people must since it’s in the fog. I remember glancing through and seeing someone say that it’s a Portal joke. I … well I don’t know what that means either. I suppose there goes my nerd cred. The design seems simple and fairly minimal, which makes me assume that most of the pull is in the concept, the joke, but like I said before, I don’t know what that might be.
Verdict: <blink> <enter cricket chirp>

The Path of Bitter Bitter Tears

Eating Healthy by tgentry: A recently removed fog runner, I was pretty impressed with this design. A really funny concept brought to life by a unique style of execution. It’s a little reminiscent of my faved ‘Blobbie’, and I’m only now realizing that these giant man-eating blobs are actually based off of some dungeons & dragons type game, and NOT (as I once thought) purely imagined from scratch. They’re still hilarious regardless. However, without the title, I don’t think the fact that the monster is eating runners makes much of an impact.
Verdict: Dependencitis VICTIM (cue sad/mysterious music)

For the Discerning Palate by derekfilley: Derek, of angry German kid fame, gives us this little number to enjoy, which (and no offense to the man) I like a lot better than his first submission. I’m a huge foodie, and the page discerning the different sections of meat is my favorite page in my Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here For The Food (product placement!) book. What I love about the shirt is that it can hold its own on without any explanation of title or derby theme. Also, I love the stegosaurus; it’s the best dinosaur ever (screw you T-rex fanboys).
Verdict: I Want One. (I can’t always be clever)

A Healthy Robot Diet by edgarrmcherly: There’s something silly and simplistic about this design that really draws me to it. It’s almost like my niece could draw this but only an adult would get to appreciate it. I like the color choice, especially the light blue shirt background, and I love the lopsided eyes. Sadly, I think it loses much of its value outside of the nutrition derby context. Other than that, the only complaint I have is that I would’ve preferred more immobile joints on the robot.
Verdict: WoundupBot requires sustenance!

Insert Creative Division Here!

Ham-Burger by gutsmasher77: Thankfully I love terrible puns. It’s a particular weakness of mine. And while the title definitely draws me to the shirt, it still manages alright without it (and if someone around you could decipher it, well that would be pretty damned awesome). I switch back and forth between how much like or dislike the fact that the pig looks just like my piggy bank when I was little. More importantly, there’s something ‘off’ with the design to me. I think it’s the fact that it’s so circularly centered on the shirt, but it could just be that I don’t want to have yet another brown shirt.woot in my closet.
Verdict: I never put any money in my piggy bank (I was too afraid my parents would yell at me if I ever broke it).

Tofu Kung Fu by evawilder: At first I thought this shirt said To-Kung-Fu, which I thought was pretty terrible and pretty genius at the same time, but it turns out I was wrong. Still, I like execution and the little touches in this shirt: the ridiculous karate outfits and the oriental-style plate. The plate reminds me more of a Japanese sushi plate so I would’ve preferred something like wasabi rather than whatever is on there (mint sprig?). I do question the color choice of yellow against the colors of the design, and there is some sort of spacing/position issue that I can’t seem to properly explanation that doesn’t appeal to my eyes.
Verdict: Tofo is good for you.

Caveman Diet by ign2: This is a pretty creative shirt, and while it doesn’t exactly hit the concept of nutrition all that well, the idea behind it is still catchy. I specifically like the tiny depictions of the ‘hunt’ and the ‘gather’ and I believe this is a style that could really make some impact in future derbies. A word of warning: there are a slew of text haters amidst the forums (I am usually one of them, though it appears from recent issues of the W^4 that I’m softening a bit), so learn to try and use it properly/sparingly.
Verdict: Mmmmmm … Mastadon Meat.

That's it. A little short and early this time because I'm a bit busy. See you next week, good folks.

The brains and voice (and fingers) behind the WWWWs.
Tune in on Tuesdays at whenever-I-have-the-time o'clock!

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Wobblytoddles wrote:Thanks and glad you got a laugh out of, Farewell, Uncle Henry.


I love the Uncle Henry design. This is one that I think would have been even better with text underneath it with just that: "Farewell, Uncle Henry".

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
Wangus8 wrote:It is Tuesday already? I swear I just finished writing this thing for the Halloween week. *Yawn* … Alright, alright already. Just let me go freshen up; I’ll be out in a few moments.


Woo! Let’s hear some noise Woundupers (yes, I will continue to mash this word into new and terrible forms)! Put your hands together and cheer. Woundup! Woundup! Woundup! It’s time for the one, the only (thank heavens it’s the only), Wangus’ Weekly Woot Woundup! Accept no imitations! Or, um, accept them, but still come back to me. Please? … Please come back … I’m … I’m so lonely…. So alone. *sniff*

(All thoughts and decisions are not necessarily affiliated with woot or the woot broadcasting network. But you know, they could be. I bet that the staffers are looking at some of the submissions laughing their collective asses off sometimes. They’d of course, be sitting atop bean bag chairs made of money, because that’s how I usually imagine the woot offices are. And I bet at least a few of them have tried to submit a design under a false screen name. Yes, I’m on to you! All rights reserved.)

The Theme: Nutrition? Apparently. I’ll be straight with you readers: unlike the past two weeks where I have had to leave a number of shirts I liked behind because there were simply too many, I’ve actually had to scan through a couple times over to find shirts to put into this WWWW because I just don’t think the designs are overall as fantastic as weeks past. I know full well that I couldn’t do any better, and in fact, I blame this tragedy not on the designs, but on the theme itself. This theme was pretty hard to work with, and a large majority of shirts suffer from title/derby-dependencitis by necessity, which you’ll see mentioned more than once in the upcoming reviews. Here’s to a better theme next week.

The FoxBox!

Powered By Cheese by briannyc128: Our favorite 128th Brian to live in New York City (ever) is finally in the box, and it’s well deserved (especially after his lost ‘lope showing). Now, I’ll be honest, I love cheese, regardless of the fact that I’m not supposed to eat it if I wish to remain … um, alive, which ultimately means that I probably won’t buy it. However, the design is simplistic and catchy and looks fantastic on the shirt. The bar reminds me of those old video games where life bars were apples or some other ridiculous object.
Verdict: Good job, Brian.

Sugar bsod by vishneda: I have actually been asked what bsod is a couple of times, so in case you are wondering (and google is somehow not working for you) it’s the dreaded Blue Screen of Death that often occurs with a computer crash. This shirt is just pure nerdapalooza, from the bsod itself to the chemistry nod. I get that the woot base is pretty far on the geek side, but even as a self-proclaimed nerd I don’t think I’d be too interested in actually buying the shirt. Also, I don’t like the idea of giving people an excuse to stare at me while trying to finish reading my clever shirt.
Verdict: Good for a laugh, but not my ten dollars.

Say No To Scurvy by fablefire: Dammit. I seem to be damning fablefire a lot, but its not my fault he/she is so unfairly talented. The style and humor always resonates with what I like, and I’m even (gasp) accepting of words in fablefire’s designs. I mean, it’s an orange! In a pirate outfit! How am I supposed to resist this? It’s clever and clean and I pretty much just stupidly love it. One caveat? There were some concerns with the size of the design, and while woot will likely just scrunch/crop the image, I’d beware of how it turns out. I’d hope that they’d contact fablefire first so he/she can work something out with them rather they just making some messed up executive decision.
Verdict: I’m hooked (yarr).

The Cake Is A Liar by geekfactor12: Um… I don’t get it. But over 300 people must since it’s in the fog. I remember glancing through and seeing someone say that it’s a Portal joke. I … well I don’t know what that means either. I suppose there goes my nerd cred. The design seems simple and fairly minimal, which makes me assume that most of the pull is in the concept, the joke, but like I said before, I don’t know what that might be.
Verdict: <blink> <enter cricket chirp>

The Path of Bitter Bitter Tears

Eating Healthy by tgentry: A recently removed fog runner, I was pretty impressed with this design. A really funny concept brought to life by a unique style of execution. It’s a little reminiscent of my faved ‘Blobbie’, and I’m only now realizing that these giant man-eating blobs are actually based off of some dungeons & dragons type game, and NOT (as I once thought) purely imagined from scratch. They’re still hilarious regardless. However, without the title, I don’t think the fact that the monster is eating runners makes much of an impact.
Verdict: Dependencitis VICTIM (cue sad/mysterious music)

For the Discerning Palate by derekfilley: Derek, of angry German kid fame, gives us this little number to enjoy, which (and no offense to the man) I like a lot better than his first submission. I’m a huge foodie, and the page discerning the different sections of meat is my favorite page in my Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here For The Food (product placement!) book. What I love about the shirt is that it can hold its own on without any explanation of title or derby theme. Also, I love the stegosaurus; it’s the best dinosaur ever (screw you T-rex fanboys).
Verdict: I Want One. (I can’t always be clever)

A Healthy Robot Diet by edgarrmcherly: There’s something silly and simplistic about this design that really draws me to it. It’s almost like my niece could draw this but only an adult would get to appreciate it. I like the color choice, especially the light blue shirt background, and I love the lopsided eyes. Sadly, I think it loses much of its value outside of the nutrition derby context. Other than that, the only complaint I have is that I would’ve preferred more immobile joints on the robot.
Verdict: WoundupBot requires sustenance!

Insert Creative Division Here!

Ham-Burger by gutsmasher77: Thankfully I love terrible puns. It’s a particular weakness of mine. And while the title definitely draws me to the shirt, it still manages alright without it (and if someone around you could decipher it, well that would be pretty damned awesome). I switch back and forth between how much like or dislike the fact that the pig looks just like my piggy bank when I was little. More importantly, there’s something ‘off’ with the design to me. I think it’s the fact that it’s so circularly centered on the shirt, but it could just be that I don’t want to have yet another brown shirt.woot in my closet.
Verdict: I never put any money in my piggy bank (I was too afraid my parents would yell at me if I ever broke it).

Tofu Kung Fu by evawilder: At first I thought this shirt said To-Kung-Fu, which I thought was pretty terrible and pretty genius at the same time, but it turns out I was wrong. Still, I like execution and the little touches in this shirt: the ridiculous karate outfits and the oriental-style plate. The plate reminds me more of a Japanese sushi plate so I would’ve preferred something like wasabi rather than whatever is on there (mint sprig?). I do question the color choice of yellow against the colors of the design, and there is some sort of spacing/position issue that I can’t seem to properly explanation that doesn’t appeal to my eyes.
Verdict: Tofo is good for you.

Caveman Diet by ign2: This is a pretty creative shirt, and while it doesn’t exactly hit the concept of nutrition all that well, the idea behind it is still catchy. I specifically like the tiny depictions of the ‘hunt’ and the ‘gather’ and I believe this is a style that could really make some impact in future derbies. A word of warning: there are a slew of text haters amidst the forums (I am usually one of them, though it appears from recent issues of the W^4 that I’m softening a bit), so learn to try and use it properly/sparingly.
Verdict: Mmmmmm … Mastadon Meat.

That's it. A little short and early this time because I'm a bit busy. See you next week, good folks.



I'm gonna have to agree with you on the cake every time it gets a vote i'm like WHAAAAT? there are so many good designs and thats what the people want.... i'm starting to think someone has hacked woot.

VOTE TAKEOUT ANYONE!!!

Please check it out

janaknowles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages janaknowles

To all who put information out there about how to put in photos...just wanted to say thanks a bunch...

Please vote for my shirts...thanks!!!

FAST CHEAP and EASY


or The CRUSHER

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

WELL IF ITS PLUG YOUR SHIRT TIME AGAIN

Please check it out

briannyc128


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
Wangus8 wrote:

Powered By Cheese by briannyc128: Our favorite 128th Brian to live in New York City (ever) is finally in the box, and it’s well deserved (especially after his lost ‘lope showing). Now, I’ll be honest, I love cheese, regardless of the fact that I’m not supposed to eat it if I wish to remain … um, alive, which ultimately means that I probably won’t buy it. However, the design is simplistic and catchy and looks fantastic on the shirt. The bar reminds me of those old video games where life bars were apples or some other ridiculous object.
Verdict: Good job, Brian.



Thanks Wangus! Always an honor to be mentioned in your critique/reviews. I was wondering why my shirt suddenly popped back into the "hot list" after a day of absence. I'm guessing maybe your shining review had something to do with it.

AlexIAm


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
mjaclyn wrote:Why on Earth do you even care? Her designs aren't going to win because they're not printable.



Sorry... didn't have my coffee yet when I typed that... I have no problem with people submitting designs they know are not going to win... it's a whole other thing to repeatedly submit designs that they know are going to get rejected.... every week heatherpickens submits multiple crayon and marker drawings that are nowhere near print ready. It's not like woot doesn't tell her why her art was rejected every time they reject it... I bet she thinks she's being "funny". NOT!


>insert funny quote here<

Wobblytoddles


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wobblytoddles
vishneda wrote:I love the Uncle Henry design. This is one that I think would have been even better with text underneath it with just that: "Farewell, Uncle Henry".



Thanks!

I really should post in the forms before I put it up. It's nice to know the pros and cons.

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
AlexIAm wrote:Sorry... didn't have my coffee yet when I typed that... I have no problem with people submitting designs they know are not going to win... it's a whole other thing to repeatedly submit designs that they know are going to get rejected.... every week heatherpickens submits multiple crayon and marker drawings that are nowhere near print ready. It's not like woot doesn't tell her why her art was rejected every time they reject it... I bet she thinks she's being "funny". NOT!



it probably her kids artwork and she just wants to show it off???

Please check it out

briannyc128


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
AlexIAm wrote:Sorry... didn't have my coffee yet when I typed that... I have no problem with people submitting designs they know are not going to win... it's a whole other thing to repeatedly submit designs that they know are going to get rejected.... every week heatherpickens submits multiple crayon and marker drawings that are nowhere near print ready. It's not like woot doesn't tell her why her art was rejected every time they reject it... I bet she thinks she's being "funny". NOT!



The other issue with that is legitimate late entry designs only have one real shot at getting recognized, and that's by being at the top of the page when people load it. Posting designs that are sure to be rejected screws those people out of the tiny bit of face time they'd otherwise be getting, by pushing their stuff down the page.

mjaclyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjaclyn
AlexIAm wrote:Sorry... didn't have my coffee yet when I typed that... I have no problem with people submitting designs they know are not going to win... it's a whole other thing to repeatedly submit designs that they know are going to get rejected.... every week heatherpickens submits multiple crayon and marker drawings that are nowhere near print ready. It's not like woot doesn't tell her why her art was rejected every time they reject it... I bet she thinks she's being "funny". NOT!



I agree that it's a totally different story if the person submits multiple designs they know aren't usable on purpose - I don't pay a huge amount of attention to who submits what unless they're in the fog. I thought maybe she was a first timer and didn't know...

AlexIAm


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
mjaclyn wrote:I agree that it's a totally different story if the person submits multiple designs they know aren't usable on purpose - I don't pay a huge amount of attention to who submits what unless they're in the fog. I thought maybe she was a first timer and didn't know...



Nope... this is the third or fourth derby that she has done it... she knows better... or is just stupid. 8)


>insert funny quote here<

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
mjaclyn wrote:I realized today that there is a big difference between the shirt designs I like and the designs that I would actually wear. I only vote for the designs I would wear. Here are my top 5 in each category:

Designs I really like:
1. Say No to Scurvy - It has a very Spongebob-esque feel to it. The design is great but I would never wear it.
2. Eating Healthy - Also a great design...I just can't see wearing a blob on my shirt.
3. Zombie Rated - This is a great design idea although it takes up way too much room on the shirt.
4. Super Happy Fun Carrot Cone - Yum! - I really like this design. I wouldn't wear it because the shirt color is too bright (for my taste) and the design is too large on the shirt.
5. Farewell, Uncle Henry - I love this design because it made me laugh out loud. I wouldn't wear it because baby blue isn't really my color.

Designs I like AND would wear:
1. 100% Organic - I like simple designs and I do eat some organic food so I would definitely wear this shirt.
2. You Say, I Say - I really like this shirt a lot and I would deifnitely wear it. I really like the poster look of it.
3. Rice Bowl - Very nice, simple and understated - I really like it and would wear it.
4. Fish Buffet - I normally HATE baby blue shirts, but this design is awesome. I love the sketchy feel of it. It almost reminds me of Normal Rockwell.
5. LIVE RAW - This is a no kill zone! - I like this design as well and I can see myself wearing it.

There are two shirts I designed that I would wear - the organic shirt and the Japanese rice shirt. My taste tends to move more towards designs that are understated or look like a burnout tee.



Hey - Thanks for the nod on the LIVE RAW tshirt. I know it is relatively plain compared to some of the other designs, but I thought it was a good message with an edgy feel. As a female artist, I'm trying to create tshirt images that can be worn comfortably by both sexes. I don't really know the age/demographic of the woot site and this is only my second derby, but I'm learning....

-kristen

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
briannyc128 wrote:The other issue with that is legitimate late entry designs only have one real shot at getting recognized, and that's by being at the top of the page when people load it. Posting designs that are sure to be rejected screws those people out of the tiny bit of face time they'd otherwise be getting, by pushing their stuff down the page.



Absolutely.

Ab-so-lutely. Once (a couple of derbies back) i had to delete and re-submit immediately because 30 seconds after I uploaded my design, I was 7 spots down in the 'date' sorting thanks to all the 'comedians' submitting junk shirts.


Check out my blog:Here!

welcmbak42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages welcmbak42

sweet, say no to bummer

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
welcmbak42 wrote:sweet, say no to bummer



Bummer's not in the fog anymore, how about you give it a rest.


Check out my blog:Here!

hotcha42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha42
derekfilley wrote:Bummer's not in the fog anymore, how about you give it a rest.



Seriously.

Lyzdog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lyzdog

It was either this or the "Your Mom Should Have Swallowed" Shirt

jpolson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpolson

Am I the only one who thinks this is the absolute best entry?

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

funny but its been done...

why have my votes stopped???? its like the second you leave the new hotness you become invisable, this sucks. i was so excited when i was getting votes

TAKEOUT ANYONE?? its wearable, its funny..
its wholesome entertainment for the whole family!!!

Please check it out

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot



Just got the Candy Corn Cannibalism shirt. The printing looks great. The navy blue is definitely navy when compared to the black shirt, but it is a very dark navy. (Some folks were asking how it looked in an earlier post.) So, the pantone swatch they use is likely the darker navy that was shown in the various navy options. (Does this make sense?)

davestar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davestar
mjaclyn wrote:I realized today that there is a big difference between the shirt designs I like and the designs that I would actually wear. I only vote for the designs I would wear.



i think this is a point that most people who vote don't consider. it's pretty strange to see a shirt that wins the derby remain available until the afternoon when it goes on sale.

my top picks are:

Farewell, Uncle Harry
Rice Bowl
Watching Calories

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

One final push before the next contest...



ign22401


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ign22401
Wangus8 wrote:
Caveman Diet by ign2: This is a pretty creative shirt, and while it doesn’t exactly hit the concept of nutrition all that well, the idea behind it is still catchy. I specifically like the tiny depictions of the ‘hunt’ and the ‘gather’ and I believe this is a style that could really make some impact in future derbies. A word of warning: there are a slew of text haters amidst the forums (I am usually one of them, though it appears from recent issues of the W^4 that I’m softening a bit), so learn to try and use it properly/sparingly.
Verdict: Mmmmmm … Mastadon Meat.



Hey, thanks for the nod bro. I really thought this design was going to do better than 20-something votes, but a mention in The Woundup will work as a consolation prize! I agree that the theme left a bit to be desired, which explains why my entry (and many really) fits a much more "loose" definition of nutrition ( more so than the 20+ entries involving apples and health care at least), but I was really struggling this week.

My first idea was to have the old food pyramid, but with a subterranean section that just said "CHOCOLATE: As much as you can fit". Of course there was already a similar entry by the time I could sit and design, so that was out.

Then I wanted to do a caveman staring inquisitively at a freshly killed Apatasaurus (yes, I understand the timing issues), with a thought bubble that had a glass of red wine and a glass of white; as if he were thinking about which would go better with fresh dino. Silly caveman. No booze though, so that was out...

That lead me to "Caveman Diet" and the original version actually only had "Caveman Diet" and the two icons, largely because I've noticed the aversion to text entries round these parts. But, I felt the tagline at the bottom was clever, and without it the design seemed empty so I figured what the hey? It was supposed to be a semi-knock on all the diet fads out there (and there actually IS a "caveman diet"/paleolithic diet). I'm bummed more people didn't think it was as clever as I, but the woundup will be my inspiration!!!

Oh, and as for "The cake is a liar"? I have never even HEARD of Portal before, but I would seriously wear this shirt every day until I die. I don't know what it is, but I think everything about the design is simply perfect. Outstanding work, despite the simplicity. Of course, I won't be buying it because the designer chose to make it take up the ENTIRE shirt.... kills it for me. But seriously THE BEST entry I've ever seen. Love it!

Sugar BSOD on the other hand.... I would have beat someone up in a SECOND for wearing a shirt like this in high school, and I was in math club!! Seriously folks, let's tone the geekdom down JUUUUUUUST a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and the one with the kid staring at the fishtank, that's definitely a ripped off image, I'm SURE of it... just can't figure out where I've seen it....

krikee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krikee
snarkygal wrote:It's becoming quite obvious to me that Wooters are just too geeky for me. Derby #13 produced yet again NO shirts I would buy. All the ones I would have bought were ones that were a little further down in voting and had NO video game references.



It's hilarious that everyone is against the video games tees. I'm a designer, and my husband kept pushing me to design a graphic, and the first thing he told me was that the video game shirts get the most votes (and those moons and pirates). I've watched everyday, and some of my favorite tees are still climbing. If you like a shirt - vote for it. The top 4 change everyday.

Jack31081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
krikee wrote:It's hilarious that everyone is against the video games tees. I'm a designer, and my husband kept pushing me to design a graphic, and the first thing he told me was that the video game shirts get the most votes (and those moons and pirates). I've watched everyday, and some of my favorite tees are still climbing. If you like a shirt - vote for it. The top 4 change everyday.



i think it's simply the case that those whose favorite shirts aren't in the running are generally more vocal than those whose favorite shirts are in the running.

krikee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krikee

My favorite tee this round is Guilty Pleasures - the pig eating bacon. Hilarious.

jwperry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwperry

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SCURVY BETTER WIN!!!! AHHHHHH I DONT THINK I CAN TAKE ONE MORE DERBY WHERE THE GOOD SHIRT DOESNT WIN AHHHHHH!!!!
CALVINBALL
AWKWARD
PLEASE NOT SCURVY!!!!!!!!!

JCBarry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCBarry
Jack31081 wrote:i think it's simply the case that those whose favorite shirts aren't in the running are generally more vocal than those whose favorite shirts are in the running.


I think you're right.

I also agree that shirts that are obviously going to get rejected ruin the game for some newer shirts. However, I don't see a way in stopping this. Only thing I can offer is that you submit your shirt at a time when no one else is submitting. ::shruggs::

BTW, I redid the styling on http://shirtstats.com inspired by...well...you know. ;) Enjoy.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

don't forget the wandering strawberry shirt! Everyone is wearing it!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jwperry wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SCURVY BETTER WIN!!!! AHHHHHH I DONT THINK I CAN TAKE ONE MORE DERBY WHERE THE GOOD SHIRT DOESNT WIN AHHHHHH!!!!
CALVINBALL
AWKWARD
PLEASE NOT SCURVY!!!!!!!!!


please look at the predicted votes on cwarrington's stats page, and chill.

The actual numbers are going to be lower, but the relative vote levels will be really close to his prediction.

Frankie says relax.

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
krikee wrote:My favorite tee this round is Guilty Pleasures - the pig eating bacon. Hilarious.



I like low gravity milk and Scurvy...

i think bummer is awesome but the design takes up too much shirt...

powered by cheese looks good but subject matter doesn't appeal and i wouldn't wear that color shirt.

sugar crash blehhh

cake is a liar.. like the idea dont like how the idea looks right now. And the color bleh

junk food job well done, very clever, buut needs to be bigger

Please check it out

mjaclyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjaclyn

I actually like the Low Gravity Milk shirt too - I can see my husband wearing it.

lmariana


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmariana

Oh, yeah: designs involving booze, dope, or p*o r *n will be rejected. So don't bother working up a "Beer Is Good For You" or "Boobies Are Delicious" t-shirt.

So breastfeeding is considered "p*o r *n" now?

InitialSam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages InitialSam
Wangus8 wrote:It is Tuesday already? I swear I just finished writing this thing for the Halloween week. *Yawn* … Alright, alright already. Just let me go freshen up; I’ll be out in a few moments.


Woo! Let’s hear some noise Woundupers (yes, I will continue to mash this word into new and terrible forms)! Put your hands together and cheer. Woundup! Woundup! Woundup! It’s time for the one, the only (thank heavens it’s the only), Wangus’ Weekly Woot Woundup! Accept no imitations! Or, um, accept them, but still come back to me. Please? … Please come back … I’m … I’m so lonely…. So alone. *sniff*

(All thoughts and decisions are not necessarily affiliated with woot or the woot broadcasting network. But you know, they could be. I bet that the staffers are looking at some of the submissions laughing their collective asses off sometimes. They’d of course, be sitting atop bean bag chairs made of money, because that’s how I usually imagine the woot offices are. And I bet at least a few of them have tried to submit a design under a false screen name. Yes, I’m on to you! All rights reserved.)

The Theme: Nutrition? Apparently. I’ll be straight with you readers: unlike the past two weeks where I have had to leave a number of shirts I liked behind because there were simply too many, I’ve actually had to scan through a couple times over to find shirts to put into this WWWW because I just don’t think the designs are overall as fantastic as weeks past. I know full well that I couldn’t do any better, and in fact, I blame this tragedy not on the designs, but on the theme itself. This theme was pretty hard to work with, and a large majority of shirts suffer from title/derby-dependencitis by necessity, which you’ll see mentioned more than once in the upcoming reviews. Here’s to a better theme next week.

The FoxBox!

Powered By Cheese by briannyc128: Our favorite 128th Brian to live in New York City (ever) is finally in the box, and it’s well deserved (especially after his lost ‘lope showing). Now, I’ll be honest, I love cheese, regardless of the fact that I’m not supposed to eat it if I wish to remain … um, alive, which ultimately means that I probably won’t buy it. However, the design is simplistic and catchy and looks fantastic on the shirt. The bar reminds me of those old video games where life bars were apples or some other ridiculous object.
Verdict: Good job, Brian.

Sugar bsod by vishneda: I have actually been asked what bsod is a couple of times, so in case you are wondering (and google is somehow not working for you) it’s the dreaded Blue Screen of Death that often occurs with a computer crash. This shirt is just pure nerdapalooza, from the bsod itself to the chemistry nod. I get that the woot base is pretty far on the geek side, but even as a self-proclaimed nerd I don’t think I’d be too interested in actually buying the shirt. Also, I don’t like the idea of giving people an excuse to stare at me while trying to finish reading my clever shirt.
Verdict: Good for a laugh, but not my ten dollars.

Say No To Scurvy by fablefire: Dammit. I seem to be damning fablefire a lot, but its not my fault he/she is so unfairly talented. The style and humor always resonates with what I like, and I’m even (gasp) accepting of words in fablefire’s designs. I mean, it’s an orange! In a pirate outfit! How am I supposed to resist this? It’s clever and clean and I pretty much just stupidly love it. One caveat? There were some concerns with the size of the design, and while woot will likely just scrunch/crop the image, I’d beware of how it turns out. I’d hope that they’d contact fablefire first so he/she can work something out with them rather they just making some messed up executive decision.
Verdict: I’m hooked (yarr).

The Cake Is A Liar by geekfactor12: Um… I don’t get it. But over 300 people must since it’s in the fog. I remember glancing through and seeing someone say that it’s a Portal joke. I … well I don’t know what that means either. I suppose there goes my nerd cred. The design seems simple and fairly minimal, which makes me assume that most of the pull is in the concept, the joke, but like I said before, I don’t know what that might be.
Verdict: <blink> <enter cricket chirp>

The Path of Bitter Bitter Tears

Eating Healthy by tgentry: A recently removed fog runner, I was pretty impressed with this design. A really funny concept brought to life by a unique style of execution. It’s a little reminiscent of my faved ‘Blobbie’, and I’m only now realizing that these giant man-eating blobs are actually based off of some dungeons & dragons type game, and NOT (as I once thought) purely imagined from scratch. They’re still hilarious regardless. However, without the title, I don’t think the fact that the monster is eating runners makes much of an impact.
Verdict: Dependencitis VICTIM (cue sad/mysterious music)

For the Discerning Palate by derekfilley: Derek, of angry German kid fame, gives us this little number to enjoy, which (and no offense to the man) I like a lot better than his first submission. I’m a huge foodie, and the page discerning the different sections of meat is my favorite page in my Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here For The Food (product placement!) book. What I love about the shirt is that it can hold its own on without any explanation of title or derby theme. Also, I love the stegosaurus; it’s the best dinosaur ever (screw you T-rex fanboys).
Verdict: I Want One. (I can’t always be clever)

A Healthy Robot Diet by edgarrmcherly: There’s something silly and simplistic about this design that really draws me to it. It’s almost like my niece could draw this but only an adult would get to appreciate it. I like the color choice, especially the light blue shirt background, and I love the lopsided eyes. Sadly, I think it loses much of its value outside of the nutrition derby context. Other than that, the only complaint I have is that I would’ve preferred more immobile joints on the robot.
Verdict: WoundupBot requires sustenance!

Insert Creative Division Here!

Ham-Burger by gutsmasher77: Thankfully I love terrible puns. It’s a particular weakness of mine. And while the title definitely draws me to the shirt, it still manages alright without it (and if someone around you could decipher it, well that would be pretty damned awesome). I switch back and forth between how much like or dislike the fact that the pig looks just like my piggy bank when I was little. More importantly, there’s something ‘off’ with the design to me. I think it’s the fact that it’s so circularly centered on the shirt, but it could just be that I don’t want to have yet another brown shirt.woot in my closet.
Verdict: I never put any money in my piggy bank (I was too afraid my parents would yell at me if I ever broke it).

Tofu Kung Fu by evawilder: At first I thought this shirt said To-Kung-Fu, which I thought was pretty terrible and pretty genius at the same time, but it turns out I was wrong. Still, I like execution and the little touches in this shirt: the ridiculous karate outfits and the oriental-style plate. The plate reminds me more of a Japanese sushi plate so I would’ve preferred something like wasabi rather than whatever is on there (mint sprig?). I do question the color choice of yellow against the colors of the design, and there is some sort of spacing/position issue that I can’t seem to properly explanation that doesn’t appeal to my eyes.
Verdict: Tofo is good for you.

Caveman Diet by ign2: This is a pretty creative shirt, and while it doesn’t exactly hit the concept of nutrition all that well, the idea behind it is still catchy. I specifically like the tiny depictions of the ‘hunt’ and the ‘gather’ and I believe this is a style that could really make some impact in future derbies. A word of warning: there are a slew of text haters amidst the forums (I am usually one of them, though it appears from recent issues of the W^4 that I’m softening a bit), so learn to try and use it properly/sparingly.
Verdict: Mmmmmm … Mastadon Meat.

That's it. A little short and early this time because I'm a bit busy. See you next week, good folks.



MAN, I' THOUGHT I'D MAKE IT THIS WEEK

BeigeSabbath


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BeigeSabbath

almost good concepts, barely good design. like, i like this one:



but i don't understand why the designer had to put the URWHATUEAT in there. its spelling out the punchline cheap fast and easy is funny enough by itself and also should have been in a retro font to match the style of the art. i hate impact or whatever that is. i just feel like there are so many that come close but none that are completely good.

anyguesses on next weeks derby?

AlexIAm


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
ign22401 wrote:Then I wanted to do a caveman staring inquisitively at a freshly killed Apatasaurus (yes, I understand the timing issues), with a thought bubble that had a glass of red wine and a glass of white; as if he were thinking about which would go better with fresh dino. Silly caveman. No booze though, so that was out...



I wish you would have tried this one... could have been great. I think when they banned booze they meant "beer is good for you" frat-boy type booze, not intellectual wine(.woot)-snob booze.


>insert funny quote here<

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
Josephus wrote:don't forget the wandering strawberry shirt! Everyone is wearing it!
[img]Porphyric toon wearing a kick a shirt[/img]


Hahaha! thanks Dr. J! I love those cuff links!

madtoon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages madtoon

These are my top picks:
BUMMER
Eating Healthy
For the Discerning Palate.
A Healthy Robot Diet
Good day to fry
2% Low Gravity Milk
Watching Calories
You say, I say

Now its not to say I don't like others out there it just the color of the t-shirts they are on ain't my bag. It is hard to decide when you make a design if people are going to like the color shirt you choose.

Wobblytoddles


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wobblytoddles
davestar wrote:i think this is a point that most people who vote don't consider. it's pretty strange to see a shirt that wins the derby remain available until the afternoon when it goes on sale.

my top picks are:

Farewell, Uncle Harry
Rice Bowl
Watching Calories



Glad you liked Uncle Henry, thanks