SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Surprising people don't get the design "the cake is a liar"... don't you people play Portal?!? Although there might be a copyright issue with that one, since the cake logo is straight from the game, as is the term (mostly... the cake is a lie).

But I REALLY like the Powered by cheese design, and I wish the muscular bunny would make it into the fog.

mjaclyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjaclyn
SkekTek wrote:Surprising people don't get the design "the cake is a liar"... don't you people play Portal?!? Although there might be a copyright issue with that one, since the cake logo is straight from the game, as is the term (mostly... the cake is a lie).

But I REALLY like the Powered by cheese design, and I wish the muscular bunny would make it into the fog.

What is Portal?

Jack31081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081

Is it Thursday yet? I took two weeks off and now I'm ready to get back into this thing

cyberninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberninja

Ah heck, if everybody else is doing it! Throw some love at the ham!

KidGrenouille

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KidGrenouille
SkekTek wrote:I wish the muscular bunny would make it into the fog.

Thanks! Me, too.

SkekTek

mjaclyn wrote:What is Portal?

See this. A kick ass physics game where you can put holes in walls, floors, etc, then go through one and come out the other one. Plus, "speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out"... if you jump into one from a height, and you have the "exit" on the wall, you fly out the wall full speed. Fun fun fun!!!

-J

PS: The bunny design ain't mine... I just like it.

Pyrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyrin
mjaclyn wrote:What is Portal?

Portal is a recently released video game. And it is hilarious. I haven't even played it myself, but everything I've heard or seen cracks me up.

Also, thanks to anyone who mentioned my design on the last few pages. :3 I appreciate it!

Edit: Hah! Beaten by SkekTek. ;D

SkekTek

KidGrenouille wrote:Thanks! Me, too.

Freaking brilliant, I must say. You sure know your way around whatever illustration program you use.

-J

cjupiter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cjupiter
jpolson wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this is the absolute best entry?

I love this one! There are a few people who would get this as a Christmas gift if it makes it... same with my other favorite, "CAFFIEND" which I desperately want for my sister and stepmom. Only one of them will get the double entendre... heh. Hi Mom!

I even buy the Cr@p that ISN'T random.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
SkekTek wrote:Surprising people don't get the design "the cake is a liar"... don't you people play Portal?!? Although there might be a copyright issue with that one, since the cake logo is straight from the game, as is the term (mostly... the cake is a lie).

The cake icon is structurally similar to the one in the game, but the styling is totally different. If you look at the icon in the game, you'll see that the lines are different (the cherry in particular). Also, I did mine with a lot of solid shapes to further distance it from the game's icon, which used lines to show the cake's shape. I think it's far enough from the original to be comfortably out of copyright trouble, but close enough to be recognizable. The text makes it absolutely clear that this is a parody, as does the fact that the cake talks.

I'm shocked that so many people actually *did* get the Portal reference- since the game is only three or four weeks old, I never thought this many voters would recognize it.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

Is.. is that carrot.... screaming???

COOOOOL!!!! <runs to throw vote at it>

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Pensketch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pensketch
Wangus8 wrote:Eating Healthy by tgentry: ... It’s a little reminiscent of my faved ‘Blobbie’, and I’m only now realizing that these giant man-eating blobs are actually based off of some dungeons & dragons type game, and NOT (as I once thought) purely imagined from scratch...

I based Blobbie more on the movie Blob than on any D&D type game creature. With perhaps a tinch of Shmoo added for cute appeal. That said, "Eating Healthy" is my favorite for this derby so far. Unless he gets a boost, I likely won't be buying a shirt this weekend. I don't think it needs the theme to be amusing, particularly if you are a monster fan that hates running.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
welcmbak42 wrote:sweet, say no to bummer

What is your problem?

snarkygal

Bryan818 wrote:funny but its been done...

why have my votes stopped???? its like the second you leave the new hotness you become invisable, this sucks. i was so excited when i was getting votes

TAKEOUT ANYONE?? its wearable, its funny..
its wholesome entertainment for the whole family!!!

Sorry but as a cat lover, I don't find it funny or wearable at all

mjaclyn

snarkygal wrote:Sorry but as a cat lover, I don't find it funny or wearable at all

I actually don't like cats at all but I have to agree with you. It's definitely in bad taste (no pun intended).

snarkygal

krikee wrote:It's hilarious that everyone is against the video games tees. I'm a designer, and my husband kept pushing me to design a graphic, and the first thing he told me was that the video game shirts get the most votes (and those moons and pirates). I've watched everyday, and some of my favorite tees are still climbing. If you like a shirt - vote for it. The top 4 change everyday.

If you've been around here for a while, you'd know that most of the time, the top 4 do NOT change every day. This Derby has been different than most.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
ign22401 wrote:*Said some stuff*

Hey IGN, Just thought I'd take a second to let you know that i think your shirts are consistently funny.

That is all.

-Derek

Check out my blog:Here!

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

to the crazy cat lady : my sister is a crazy cat lady and she loves the shirt how is it in bad taste... its a cute cat and its alive what seems to be the issue...

bad taste... your photo attached to your blog is in bad taste

Please check it out

AlexIAm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AlexIAm
snarkygal wrote:Sorry but as a cat lover, I don't find it funny or wearable at all

I am a cat lover also and find it hilarious... mostly because of an inside joke in my office.If it were closer to the fog it might get booted for political incorrectness.

>insert funny quote here<

Wangus8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wangus8
snarkygal wrote:If you've been around here for a while, you'd know that most of the time, the top 4 do NOT change every day. This Derby has been different than most.

While I am inclined to agree that usually the fog is fairly steady, you have to admit that the past few derbies have been pretty fog-battle-heavy.

What's that? Oh, my Woundup interns have just told me that there has not yet been a single time in which the top four designs that were in the foxbox when I wrote the woundup for that week were still the top four at the end of the derby.

Well isn't that interesting? (Thanks interns!)

The brains and voice (and fingers) behind the WWWWs.
Tune in on Tuesdays at whenever-I-have-the-time o'clock!

Pensketch

geekfactor12 wrote:... I'm shocked that so many people actually *did* get the Portal reference- since the game is only three or four weeks old, I never thought this many voters would recognize it.

Portal was awesome. I'm hoping they do something more with it in a future game, either a sequel where you can design your own levels, or as an added tool/weapon in Half Life 3. Also, the best end credits I've ever seen in a game (don't watch if you plan to play it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs

Yeah, I'm geeky as hell when it comes to games. Yet I haven't made a game themed design yet. Strange.

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Pensketch wrote:I based Blobbie more on the movie Blob than on any D&D type game creature. With perhaps a tinch of Shmoo added for cute appeal. That said, "Eating Healthy" is my favorite for this derby so far. Unless he gets a boost, I likely won't be buying a shirt this weekend. I don't think it needs the theme to be amusing, particularly if you are a monster fan that hates running.

Thanks Pensketch. I don't see any forthcoming boosts, so it will probably be the blob shirt that never was.

mjaclyn

Bryan818 wrote:to the crazy cat lady : my sister is a crazy cat lady and she loves the shirt how is it in bad taste... its a cute cat and its alive what seems to be the issue...

bad taste... your photo attached to your blog is in bad taste

The shirt is in bad taste because it's implying that when you eat Chinese food you're eating cat. If you don't like the photo don't look at it.

sayah

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sayah

I'm one of the only ones that liked this shirt. I think its cool and simple. Russian writing is always the stuff. This seems to me like a shirt Woot would normally sell.

Kudos to whoever made it.

Bryan818

people are left to make their own interpretation... the word says enjoy, the live cat is coming out of a box...

Please check it out

Pensketch

tgentry wrote:Thanks Pensketch. I don't see any forthcoming boosts, so it will probably be the blob shirt that never was.

Well, if it ever is somewhere else, let me know.

Bryan818

oh and sorry for the picture comment i was angry and that was uncalled for

Please check it out

CarpeDM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CarpeDM
cjupiter wrote:I love this one! There are a few people who would get this as a Christmas gift if it makes it... same with my other favorite, "CAFFIEND" which I desperately want for my sister and stepmom. Only one of them will get the double entendre... heh. Hi Mom!

I also like the Fish entry - great design.

CarpeDM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CarpeDM

I didn't enter the derby this week but I think there are a lot of great entries.

Bryan818

the guy who did the tastless cat shirt made that one too... thanks for the kudos i stole inspiration from avocado man on that one

Please check it out

AlexIAm

Bryan818 wrote:the guy who did the tastless cat shirt made that one too...

I actually think he was implying the cat was quite tasty! ;)

derekfilley

AlexIAm wrote:I actually think he was implying the cat was quite tasty! ;)

As a general rule, the cuter the animal, the better the taste...

princessproton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages princessproton
derekfilley wrote:As a general rule, the cuter the animal, the better the taste...

Baby: The other other white meat.

USE YOUR BRAIN. There are zombies that go without.

AlexIAm

derekfilley wrote:As a general rule, the cuter the animal, the better the taste...

So... jumping back 3 pages... you're saying stegosaurus, though lean and tender, is not very tasty?

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
princessproton wrote:Baby: The other other white meat.

I was surprised there weren't more cannibal themed designs.

"Man, the OTHER white meat"
"Nobody eats much at the Donner's dinner party"
"EAT ME! - insults that don't work on cannibals"

The cannibal/clown design was in pretty poor taste (pun always intended) so that may have put others off, I dunno. Just not expecting that much restraint from this group.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

derekfilley

AlexIAm wrote:So... jumping back 3 pages... you're saying stegosaurus, though lean and tender, is not very tasty?

I thought my picture was cute :-(

*sigh*

damiendone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages damiendone

I don't see why the chinese food cat is in poor taste at all, unless cat actually tastes bad.

It's not implying that whenever you eat Chinese food you are actually eating cat. Not at all.
It's simply playing on a sterotype (those, for better or worse, tend to be rooted - however remotely - on some truth) echoed worldwide. And, uh... it's funny. Would I wear it? No. But I tend to not care too much for graphic tees in general. Mine included. (The "Hamburger" shirt is more my style if I want to take a break from solid tees).

On occasion, cat is served in China, as is dog. So are chicken feet, tripe and shark fin, for that matter. I'm sure in India plenty of people are up in arms about the western affinity for all things beef, as cows are sacred.

I don't find the shirt offensive whatsoever, and it no more implies that you are always getting served cat than that your meal will always be served in a take-out box.

derekfilley

damiendone wrote:I don't see why the chinese food cat is in poor taste at all, unless cat actually tastes bad.

It's not implying that whenever you eat Chinese food you are actually eating cat. Not at all.
It's simply playing on a sterotype (those, for better or worse, tend to be rooted - however remotely - on some truth) echoed worldwide. And, uh... it's funny. Would I wear it? No. But I tend to not care too much for graphic tees in general. Mine included. (The "Hamburger" shirt is more my style if I want to take a break from solid tees).

On occasion, cat is served in China, as is dog. So are chicken feet, tripe and shark fin, for that matter. I'm sure in India plenty of people are up in arms about the western affinity for all things beef, as cows are sacred.

I don't find the shirt offensive whatsoever, and it no more implies that you are always getting served cat than that your meal will always be served in a take-out box.

The man has a point. The PC patrol needs to call off their dogs ;-)

vishneda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
snarkygal wrote:If you've been around here for a while, you'd know that most of the time, the top 4 do NOT change every day. This Derby has been different than most.

There's been a lot of action in this derby, but it's not much different than the Night derby. Cake is the new "Follow the Leader".

AlexIAm

derekfilley wrote:I thought my picture was cute :-(

*sigh*

Your picture was, but I have a hard time calling something the size of a bus cute!