snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
janaknowles wrote:you know...i'm really suprised that there havent been more recjections this time around....this is the first derby that i have actually entered. but i have been lurking for at least three. based on my observations, the "rejectionators" (as i have seen them called) are either sleeping on the job or they have all been marooned on an island with no wifi! what gives.



It seems they took the entire week off. There are entries that are definitely not print ready and some that are copyright infringements but they have not been rejected. I don't know why......

As a voter, I find it disturbing. There are so many entries every week that I, personally, don't want to wade through entries that are not qualified to be considered.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
briannyc128 wrote:As we're nearing the end of the contest, I thought I'd put a last ditch image/link of my shirt in for vote linkage as seems at least somewhat customary with contenders. Hopefully this isn't too spamful for anyone's liking.

Thanks to everyone who voted or had nice stuff to say about my shirt this week. You guys all get ranked as 8 out of 8 on the coolness cheese meter in my book.

Last time I'll cram this cheese down your throat (heh)...



It's whey cool.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
fackoph wrote:Inspired by damiendone and Josephus here are my favorite non-fog shirts...

Happy Halloween...



excellent work.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:



I'm not sure this'll work, but I guess it might. I'm sure having a second tube connected to his suit that connected to the '~atm pressure' side of the milk cup would work.

regardless, the "thank god we invented the outer space high vacuum suckerator device" would certainly work.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:I'm not sure this'll work, but I guess it might. I'm sure having a second tube connected to his suit that connected to the '~atm pressure' side of the milk cup would work.

regardless, the "thank god we invented the outer space high vacuum suckerator device" would certainly work.


Dr. J,
It should work, even without the second straw, since astronaut space suits are (I think) only pressurized to 4 or 5 psi, so the milk should pretty much squirt right up the astronaut's nose with a full atm squeezing on the bag.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Dr. J,
It should work, even without the second straw, since astronaut space suits are (I think) only pressurized to 4 or 5 psi, so the milk should pretty much squirt right up the astronaut's nose with a full atm squeezing on the bag.



ugh. he's not gonna like that. the milk b00b (technical term) ought to have equal pressure to the suit, I think.

Man, if they're only pressurized that much, the astronauts probably look really weird, cause their blood pressure is 120 over 70 or so- probably distorted from that, but something like that. they should have really prominent veins bulging all over their skin.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:ugh. he's not gonna like that. the milk b00b (technical term) ought to have equal pressure to the suit, I think.

Man, if they're only pressurized that much, the astronauts probably look really weird, cause their blood pressure is 120 over 70 or so- probably distorted from that, but something like that. they should have really prominent veins bulging all over their skin.


Dr. J,
Urine is sterile, and water is nearly incompressible. 4 or 5 psi is still 1/3 atm, or about 240 mmHg, still more than 120, so still pushing in.


Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Dr. J,
Urine is sterile, and water is nearly incompressible. 4 or 5 psi is still 1/3 atm, or about 240 mmHg, still more than 120, so still pushing in.



Buit, you don't realize that the 120 over 70 is the blood pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. In other words, we ignore the 760 mm Hg. Blood pressure in absolute terms would be 880 over 840.

Regardless, I'm screwed up. I'm used to thinking in mm Hg, which we use to measure blood pressure or atmospheric pressure in which 1 atmosphere is 760 mm Hg.
Alternatively I think in cm H20, which we use to measure ventilatory pressures, in which 1 atmosphere equals 1033 cm H2O.

JCBarry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCBarry

I would love to have a beer with the two of you. Sounds like it would be great conversation.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:Buit, you don't realize that the 120 over 70 is the blood pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. In other words, we ignore the 760 mm Hg. Blood pressure in absolute terms would be 880 over 840.


Interesting, Dr. J. So why don't our blood vessels bulge out normally? Why woudn't this reason (whatever it is) still apply at 4 psi?

Since water is incompressible, wouldn't the volume of human goo stay the same? What's going to push the veins out?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
JCBarry wrote:I would love to have a beer with the two of you. Sounds like it would be great conversation.


Mr. Barry,
Probably a more realistic statement would be "I would love to have you guys around when insomnia attacks." Hey, that's a great name for a TV show, "When Insomnia Attacks."

Or how about "Insomnia Gone Wild?"

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Interesting, Dr. J. So why don't our blood vessels bulge out normally? Why wouldn't this reason (whatever it is) still apply at 4 psi?



They do bulge out normally. You can tell if someone has worrisomely high blood pressure by looking for their jugular in their neck- if its bulging out, their blood pressure is probably too high.
You can also roughly estimate your blood pressure by looking at the veins bulging on the back of your hands. If your hands are low, well below your heart, they probably bulge a reasonably visible amount. as you raise them to your heart height, they will drop until somewhere close to the height of your heart but probably below it, they will disappear. unless you have somewhat elevated blood pressure- diastolic pressure actually. The veins don't tell you anything about systolic pressure.

anyway, with the difference in pressure we normally have, they bulge somewhat, but if you increase that difference by 2/3, the difference ought to show up and you ought to see quite a bit more bulging of the veins.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
JCBarry wrote:I would love to have a beer with the two of you. Sounds like it would be great conversation.



You don't really get this kind of conversation without a beer lurking somewhere about- I just bought a 12 pack of Harp, a fine beer. judging by the one I just finished.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:
Since water is incompressible, wouldn't the volume of human goo stay the same? What's going to push the veins out?



I missed this before.

The heart! The heart is pushing on that blood at a high enough squeeze value that, when the relaxing ability of all the little resistance vessels inside there, the arterioles and venules, and when the blood vessels that are open at any one time are recruited, then there is a pressure in the largest arteries of 120 mm Hg during contraction of the ventricles, and about 70 mm Hg during the time the ventricles are relaxed and the heart is filling with blood for the next pump.The venous pressure isn't anything like that high, ever. When the veins in your hand disappear as you raise them to the level of your heart, if you measured the difference in height between the base of the heart (the top, weirdly) and the height of the hand, that would be what your central venous pressure is. Can be either positive or negative and still be normal.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

heh. I killed the Derby thread. awesome.

shan24


quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Josephus wrote:heh. I killed the Derby thread. awesome.


no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:I missed this before.

The heart! The heart is pushing on that blood at a high enough squeeze value that, when the relaxing ability of all the little resistance vessels inside there, the arterioles and venules, and when the blood vessels that are open at any one time are recruited, then there is a pressure in the largest arteries of 120 mm Hg during contraction of the ventricles, and about 70 mm Hg during the time the ventricles are relaxed and the heart is filling with blood for the next pump.The venous pressure isn't anything like that high, ever. When the veins in your hand disappear as you raise them to the level of your heart, if you measured the difference in height between the base of the heart (the top, weirdly) and the height of the hand, that would be what your central venous pressure is. Can be either positive or negative and still be normal.


Dr. J,
Sorry, I had to eat some trick-or-treaters.

That's pressure. What I mean by the incompressible comment is that the total volume of the liquid and solid parts of the human body is nearly constant. Veins bulging out: where does the extra volume come from? A change in pressure doesn't necessarily lead to a big volume difference.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
geekfactor12 wrote:Once you submit, you give them the rights to your work for 60 days whether you remove your entry or not. It really doesn't matter how long it's up for voting.

Use the sixty days to listen to the feedback you got here and improve your design. Then, in 60 days you'll have an even nicer shirt to sell.


Unless you remove your entry within the first 24 hours from the time it was submitted, isn't that right?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:They do bulge out normally. You can tell if someone has worrisomely high blood pressure by looking for their jugular in their neck- if its bulging out, their blood pressure is probably too high.
You can also roughly estimate your blood pressure by looking at the veins bulging on the back of your hands. If your hands are low, well below your heart, they probably bulge a reasonably visible amount. as you raise them to your heart height, they will drop until somewhere close to the height of your heart but probably below it, they will disappear. unless you have somewhat elevated blood pressure- diastolic pressure actually. The veins don't tell you anything about systolic pressure.

anyway, with the difference in pressure we normally have, they bulge somewhat, but if you increase that difference by 2/3, the difference ought to show up and you ought to see quite a bit more bulging of the veins.


Dr. J, isn't blood pressure produced by your tissues adding a delta-P to ambient pressure? That is, say the external pressure is 760 mmHg, then the internal pressure is 760+120=880, but it's the difference, 120 mmHg, that's pushing your veins out. When the external pressure is only 250 mmHg, I'm going to guess that the absolute pressure of your blood is 250+120=370 mmHg. I doubt if your tissues are going to make up the other 500 mmHg for no reason. It's still the difference that matters in pushing your veins out, though, and it's still only 120 mmHg. People with high blood pressure just generate more delta-P, not more absolute all by itself. Otherwise, we'd see a lot more ugly bulging veins on Denver Bronco cheerleaders.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
klswoot wrote:Unless you remove your entry within the first 24 hours from the time it was submitted, isn't that right?



As far as I know, there's no exception written in the rules for shirts that are removed by their owners within 24 hours. I think we have to assume they're still subject to the 60 days, unless there's text somewhere stating otherwise.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
klswoot wrote:Unless you remove your entry within the first 24 hours from the time it was submitted, isn't that right?


The 60-day policy is in effect even if you pull your design. I don't have the terms and conditions handy but the language is clear; they closed that door. Otherwise there would be nothing stopping you from using the derby as a "testbed" and then pulling your most popular designs. The 60-day policy also covers rejections.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Dr. J,
Sorry, I had to eat some trick-or-treaters.

That's pressure. What I mean by the incompressible comment is that the total volume of the liquid and solid parts of the human body is nearly constant. Veins bulging out: where does the extra volume come from? A change in pressure doesn't necessarily lead to a big volume difference.


Oh, I see what you're asking. The truth is that the volume of the blood vessels in your body varies considerably because you can shut off vessels. At any given time, only about half of the blood vessels in your lungs have blood flowing in them. Many of the ones that aren't flowing are actually collapsed. The same is true in other areas. In muscle especially, you have a lot of extra capacity for flow that is shut off normally. Because the flow into the area is shut off, the volume of blood in that area drops. The vessels are quite compliant, meaning that their volume changes easily with pressure. They stretch. They shrink. A balloon with some water in it can stretch to take in a surprising amount of more water before it reaches the limit of volume and bursts. The same is true of your blood vessels, and your heart. In addition to this varying stretchability, the muscles that surround your resistance vessels can constrict, reducing the compliance or stretchability of the vessels. Consequently, your vascular system can divert blood out of the resistance vessels into your veins by increasing your peripheral resistance. This will also raise your blood pressure.

Oh, additionally, over time, an increase in pressure will lead to a decrease in volume, because the higher pressure will cause your kidneys to react and excrete more water, and also decrease the release of proteins that control the amount of blood components that are formed. This is how homeostasis tries to keep you pressure from staying high. It will also reduce the amount of sodium in your blood, which will reduce the volume too.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Dr. J, isn't blood pressure produced by your tissues adding a delta-P to ambient pressure? That is, say the external pressure is 760 mmHg, then the internal pressure is 760+120=840, but it's the difference, 120 mmHg, that's pushing your veins out. When the external pressure is only 250 mmHg, I'm going to guess that the absolute pressure of your blood is 250+120=370 mmHg. I doubt if your tissues are going to make up the other 500 mmHg for no reason. It's still the difference that matters in pushing your veins out, though, and it's still only 120 mmHg. People with high blood pressure just generate more delta-P, not more absolute all by itself. Otherwise, we'd see a lot more ugly bulging veins on Denver Bronco cheerleaders.



I think you're right. Pity you didn't bring this up at the very beginning. heh.

The pressure that matters , that we'd see, is the venous pressure, which is only a few mm Hg, probably like about 15 or so, depending upon how different from the height of the heart you are measuring it. In space, its the same everywhere though.

sayah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sayah

\/\/ () \/\/ ! ! !

Over 200 combined votes....... Blows my old record of 24 out of the water. My other design this time is up to 4 votes I think

Nor bad for a Realtor who took his last art class in 8th grade! and laid out most of his design on Powerpoint.




I am mostly surprised that so many people got the Soylent Green reference....that movie is like 35 years old.....almost as old as me and Im sure Im the oldest one on here.

Anyhow I just wanted to say thank you for your votes. I cant believe it beat some of the designs it did. Y'all Rock!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
sayah wrote:I am mostly surprised that so many people got the Soylent Green reference....that movie is like 35 years old.....almost as old as me and Im sure Im the oldest one on here. [/img]


Haha, Mr. Sayah, Dr. J's got to be 90 years old or so.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
sayah wrote:\/\/ () \/\/ ! ! !

Over 200 combined votes....... Blows my old record of 24 out of the water. My other design this time is up to 4 votes I think

Nor bad for a Realtor who took his last art class in 8th grade! and laid out most of his design on Powerpoint.




I am mostly surprised that so many people got the Soylent Green reference....that movie is like 35 years old.....almost as old as me and Im sure Im the oldest one on here.

Anyhow I just wanted to say thank you for your votes. I cant believe it beat some of the designs it did. Y'all Rock!



You are not the oldest one on here..not even close

thatrobert


quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
snarkygal wrote:You are not the oldest one on here..not even close



Ditto...

sayah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sayah
thatrobert wrote:Ditto...



Are you sure....


Cuz I'm this many.... (holding up a lot of fingers)

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Bryan818 wrote:thanks geekfactor... what do you think needs improving?

by the way having an apple with glasses speaking in formula in your sig makes your advice seem that much more credible...

AAnd i'm writing from my work computer which is on a network, and i have to click on a million different replies in order to post, add coment doesnt usually work either. Sometimes signing out and back in works but not always ... any advice? anyone?



Had this problem too, maximize, then minimize your window. Should work every time.


Check out my blog:Here!

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
JCBarry wrote:I would love to have a beer with the two of you. Sounds like it would be great conversation.

there would be a lot os sluring and spitting I think. I predict that every derby from this one to the last one will have "are belong to us" in them..... someone will, You watch. "all your poker are belong to us"..."all your tv show are belond to us". "all your nose hair are belong to us"..."All your "powered by cheese" are belong to us"


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Haha, Mr. Sayah, Dr. J's got to be 90 years old or so.



only the mileage, No1, only the mileage.

gregthomas77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregthomas77



http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=4990

justann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justann
snarkygal wrote:You are not the oldest one on here..not even close


I'm almost as old as snarky. Which is WAY older than you, sayah. I have a baby brother older than you.


Here's my first try using my tablet and Inkscape.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
snarkygal wrote:You are not the oldest one on here..not even close



yeah, I have scars older than you.

mjaclyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjaclyn

Hi everyone - last week I saw on the boards that the new Derby theme was going to be Nutrition before it was posted. I can't remember who or when it was said and I can't find it again... Is this something that happens weekly? If so, when is it usually posted? Thanks so much for any info!

briannyc128


quality posts: 0 Private Messages briannyc128
mjaclyn wrote:Hi everyone - last week I saw on the boards that the new Derby theme was going to be Nutrition before it was posted. I can't remember who or when it was said and I can't find it again... Is this something that happens weekly? If so, when is it usually posted? Thanks so much for any info!



They will post it at noon (AZ time) today, when the current derby ends.

mjaclyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjaclyn
briannyc128 wrote:They will post it at noon (AZ time) today, when the current derby ends.



Great! Thanks!

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
vishneda wrote:The 60-day policy is in effect even if you pull your design. I don't have the terms and conditions handy but the language is clear; they closed that door. Otherwise there would be nothing stopping you from using the derby as a "testbed" and then pulling your most popular designs. The 60-day policy also covers rejections.



Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I recall a thread in the previous derby when someone mentioned the 24 hour period to pull your design. Thanks for posting that this is no longer the case.

-k-

AlexIAm


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
mjaclyn wrote:Great! Thanks!



Yeah, it wasn't actually posted any earlier here... just that someone was watching vigilantly and posted it before most of us saw it had been posted in the blog.

>insert funny quote here<

8taxi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 8taxi

Hey what is that site that you can sell derby shirts that didn't win?