theonlybap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theonlybap
Grosflam wrote:exactly - we have a winner. I am going to wear it when I visit Mexico City in the Virgin of Guadalupe church with the 'Black virgin'. They will love it. And I am not catholic...hehehehe

Which happens to represent the Virgin Mary, too...

2 Chimpanzee Robusto; 1 Sea Chimp; 1 Camisa de los Muertos; 1 Random Shirt; 1 Xmas is Ribs; 1 Know When to Fold; 1 Faders and Meters; 1 Oh Burned!!!; 1 Left Brain vs Right Brain; 1 Maximo iMetal Stereo Earbuds; 1 Everglide S-500 Professional Gaming Headphones; 1 Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB Media Player; 3 Cube Memory 2GB MicroSD Card with SD Adaptor; Maxell DHP-II Digital Headphones

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
StrayNostalgia wrote:And the V of G is an icon of the V of M. Virgin of Guadalupe, Virgin Mary, La Madonna... essentially all the same thing, right?

I have no idea...I'm Jewish L O L

Grosflam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grosflam
snarkygal wrote:I have no idea...I'm Jewish L O L

I am also...so anything with the word 'virgin' in it's name, I am in for it.

snarkygal

Grosflam wrote:exactly - we have a winner. I am going to wear it when I visit Mexico City in the Virgin of Guadalupe church with the 'Black virgin'. They will love it. And I am not catholic...hehehehe

I've been there...beautiful cathedral...people crawl on their knees up to the altar..amazing!

freetaco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freetaco
snarkygal wrote:geez...dia de los muertos is a big mexican holiday...get over yourselves people...Mexico is a Catholic country and it is a big holiday there.

Yeah, that whole cultural sensitivity is a real pain in the ass.

gte037p

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gte037p

I read up on the history of the Virgin of Guadalupe. The long and short of it is that this guy Juan Diego saw an image of the Mary and no one believed him so he went back to where he saw Mary and she gave him these roses that wouldn't have grown at that time of year and he gathered them in his shirt and took them to the Bishop. He opened the shirt to the Bishop and the image appeared on the inside of his shirt. So, I guess this would be offensive because of the roses being a nod at the image and simultaneously Mary being depicted as a skeleton.

StrayNostalgia wrote:And the V of G is an icon of the V of M. Virgin of Guadalupe, Virgin Mary, La Madonna... essentially all the same thing, right?

blackbirdshadow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdshadow
gte037p wrote:Offensive shirt woot. This is clearly a slight at the Virgin Mary. Please be more considerate of your shirt.woot image choices.

I'm pretty sure the people who celebrate Dia De Los Muertos are catholic... and the figure appears to be praying, not giving the finger, or flinging poo. Dia De Los Muertos is about celebration and reverence. I don't think Senor Toon was out to offend anyone.

StrayNostalgia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia

Ah, I see. Thank you for looking that up. Here are some latkes for yer trouble!

gte037p wrote:I read up on the history of the Virgin of Guadalupe. The long and short of it is that this guy Juan Diego saw an image of the Mary and no one believed him so he went back to where he saw Mary and she gave him these roses that wouldn't have grown at that time of year and he gathered them in his shirt and took them to the Bishop. He opened the shirt to the Bishop and the image appeared on the inside of his shirt. So, I guess this would be offensive because of the roses being a nod at the image and simultaneously Mary being depicted as a skeleton.

theonlybap

gte037p wrote:I read up on the history of the Virgin of Guadalupe. The long and short of it is that this guy Juan Diego saw an image of the Mary and no one believed him so he went back to where he saw Mary and she gave him these roses that wouldn't have grown at that time of year and he gathered them in his shirt and took them to the Bishop. He opened the shirt to the Bishop and the image appeared on the inside of his shirt. So, I guess this would be offensive because of the roses being a nod at the image and simultaneously Mary being depicted as a skeleton.

I like how you were offended or disturbed BEFORE you knew what it was all actually about.

2 Chimpanzee Robusto; 1 Sea Chimp; 1 Camisa de los Muertos; 1 Random Shirt; 1 Xmas is Ribs; 1 Know When to Fold; 1 Faders and Meters; 1 Oh Burned!!!; 1 Left Brain vs Right Brain; 1 Maximo iMetal Stereo Earbuds; 1 Everglide S-500 Professional Gaming Headphones; 1 Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB Media Player; 3 Cube Memory 2GB MicroSD Card with SD Adaptor; Maxell DHP-II Digital Headphones

smokeytai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smokeytai

I am doomed! Mountain time still confuses me after 26 years. The cannibal candy corn shirt I had hoped to get on the 2nd go around was a bust, failed again to get in on the last chance! The story of my life, always there after the last meatball has been served!!! I'm not looking for those fully cooked, just those rare to medium rare. In fact, I do believe I am a fan off candy corn carrapiciacio!
kcer

gte037p

I read about this a while ago.

theonlybap wrote:I like how you were offended or disturbed BEFORE you knew what it was all actually about.

Grosflam

the person is still 'guessing' that someone somewhere will be offended - jesuslouises...I wish they would guess the next lottery numbers for all of us.

aevans07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aevans07

I bought three of these at 1:20 this morning,
told my friends they should buy it too because of its awesomeness,
and it's gone by 1:30.

Out by the first hour and a half.
That's abso-tively ama-credible.
=]

archiestone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages archiestone

Finally one that I am ready to order and it's sold out. Do we get another shot at this for $10 or is this also a 'deal de los muertos'?

theonlybap

gte037p wrote:I read about this a while ago.

Yeah, I figured you might. I'm just pushing buttons. It would just be mean if I meant all that I said. I tend to enjoy "overreacting" in the opposite way other people overreact, though it probably doesn't help.

However, I do think the shirt is fine -- it is art, and open to interpretation... Much like Mama Knows Best (EAT MY APPLES!).

shaneberto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaneberto

Don't like the shirt? Offended? Don't buy it. I'm not fond of your church and it offends me at times but I don't complain about you going or demand you and your church be sensitive to my oh so precious feelings. It's a freaking shirt, life will go on.

gte037p

Religions are quite fascinating. Pretty amazing how people become convicted about certain things without seemingly reasonable evidence, don't you think?

Grosflam wrote:the person is still 'guessing' that someone somewhere will be offended - jesuslouises...I wish they would guess the next lottery numbers for all of us.

CHeil402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHeil402
gte037p wrote:A little respect for other religions is not a bad thing.

You should have a little more respect for other religions, this has do to with a Mexican holiday. Get informed.

snarkygal

OK you are offended...don't buy it then, that is your perogative. But you don't have to make a big deal about it because you don't like this tshirt.

Dia de los Muertos is a HUGE holiday in Mexico, California and probably Arizona and New Mexico and Texas. I live in California and can only attest to California and Mexico (as I've been there too).

Grosflam

gte037p wrote:Religions are quite fascinating. Pretty amazing how people become convicted about certain things without seemingly reasonable evidence, don't you think?

generally people are simpletons and this is not a bad thing - religion helps them so they will not have to worry about more things and leave it to others to worry....

aevans07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aevans07
shaneberto wrote:Don't like the shirt? Offended? Don't buy it. I'm not fond of your church and it offends me at times but I don't complain about you going or demand you and your church be sensitive to my oh so precious feelings. It's a freaking shirt, life will go on.

Agreed. High five, kid. Have a drink on me.

Grosflam

I am going to bed, I hope that does not offend anyone...adios con dios my darling ;0)

theonlybap

Grosflam wrote:I am going to bed, I hope that does not offend anyone...adios con dios my darling ;0)

That's Dios, with a capital D...darn atheist

panchitomen3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages panchitomen3

crap! i i wanted one.... it sold out fast!!!! i hope woot puts it back on sale...

flukeboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flukeboy

I frakin' logged in at 1:24 am Central time and the t-shirt is all sold out at 750 t-shirts printed. effin' "A" shirt.woot, who decides to print certain shirts at low numbers and others at high numbers? The only t-shirt I decided to buy at $15 was the "Zombie Season" t-shirt. I may have to think long and hard over this one as well. Crap all to hell.

wine.woot!: 1; sellout.woot!: 2; shirt.woot!: 40 w/ 1 v-neck & 1 bonus + 2 koozies; 4 randoms @ 3 each & 3 random @ 1 each; shirt.woot!/Classics: 2; & 1 light weight hoodie; woot!: 6; deals.woot!/Community Deals: 2;sport.woot!plus: 1

jameszimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jameszimo
gte037p wrote:Offensive shirt woot. This is clearly a slight at the Virgin Mary. Please be more considerate of your shirt.woot image choices.

Actually, I don't think it is a slight on the Virgin Mary but done out of love and respect (for the Virgin of Guadalupe). Why don't you read up on the Day of the Dead celebration and the history of the role of the skeleton in Mexican folk art?

I would have bought one of these for myself, but was too late darn it!

xdjerock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xdjerock

come on! mabey we should print more than 750? eh? if you change your mind, let me know, cus' i want one!.. bad!

sparky0913

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparky0913

you can still buy them for $15 starting tomorrow

Great design! I don't think this is offensive, but it is beautiful art!

jamietoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamietoon

Wow, thanks for the great response.
I didn't mean for the shirt to be a slight on Mary. I'm not religious at all, but I really love religious art.
Also, skeletons are cool.
Thanks to everyone who bought one. I am looking forward to doing more shirts in this style, if not the same subject matter.

theonlybap

jamietoon wrote:Wow, thanks for the great response.
I didn't mean for the shirt to be a slight on Mary. I'm not religious at all, but I really love religious art.
Also, skeletons are cool.
Thanks to everyone who bought one. I am looking forward to doing more shirts in this style, if not the same subject matter.

Awesome, good work here -- I look forward to seeing more work from you. You had me with the Skeletal Mariachi Band

Brothersistercd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brothersistercd

Camisa de los Mentos????? Shirt of the chewy breath mints, who would want that? Isn't there a copyright violation somewhere? Oh. Wait. Nevermind....

Power to the people, right on!

mmmmpf, mmmmmppppffff

Vandaliam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vandaliam
panchitomen3 wrote:crap! i i wanted one.... it sold out fast!!!! i hope woot puts it back on sale...

yeah i wanted one too. got back from break at 12:30 and it was gone. was gonna be my first woot shirt too.

kylehamilton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kylehamilton

WHYYYYYYY O GOD WHYYYY I WANT ONE SOOOO SOOO SOO SOO SO SO SO SO BADDLY!!!!!!!!!!

this is what I get for taking my gf out for dinner and danceing, smuf random dates

brada55306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brada55306

is there a link to buy @ $15?

rmody999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmody999
phr wrote:After halloween you can always wear this to Grateful Dead revival shows...

After halloween you can always wear this to church!

jjzone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjzone

I have that conviction; I am Catholic, I belive Mary was assumed.

I am not offended.

Tolerance is a two way street.

Besides, my believeing that Mary was assumed means that image, if it is supposed to be depicting Mary, can have no basis in reality for me.

LiveSquid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LiveSquid

Now this is a halloween shirt I could wear year round.. Woot is getting an additional $5 from me tomorrow.

lauratoops

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauratoops

Long Sleeve, thank you, bye. :o) Have a great day!

WooT! The best place on earth, well, internet, but it is still the best. Just ask my checking account

Firebert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Firebert

Best shirt yet. Looks like I'll be paying $15!

lunchbx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunchbx

NO NO NO NO NO I want one, it's only 8 am.

CHRISTMAS CRAP.