KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
FenStar wrote:Any misfits around?

I'm not really here.

Lets see, poof did a good job describing me (although I didn't know I was still new). I have two girls 8 months and 3 years, I work for the state doing fisheries data management and cartography (mostly from the insanity of my home office). My location is right. I am married to Orcrist42 whom works for the local ISP.

Okay, back to taking care of the baby and reconfiguring my computer so it is usable. I forgot how truly miserable it is to replace the OS drive.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
FenStar wrote:I didn't know you had a 2 yr old, how did I miss that?
Stupid enters, forgot to delete them.

I guess I forgot to call you.
Here he is:

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Josephus wrote:I guess I forgot to call you.
Here he is:

Oh, I guess I thought he was the 9 yr old...

Still single, can't imagine why.

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
killingtime wrote:And what the hell is up with this new "jejejeje" thing? I had a friend from Madrid who used to use those words for laughing...how did it absorb into so greatly in the internet world? It is all over the product forum.

i thought it was a way to get around a filter; turns out it is the filter. lol now = jejeje

see: jejeje

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Josephus wrote:Poor Hungry Doctor.

sounds true enough; i've seen a few Porsche's on campus, but they tend to be around the business school or the venture capital area

Skye — 1997-2007

FenStar

FenStar wrote:Oh, I guess I thought he was the 9 yr old...

*I'm not very good with figuring out ages*

Josephus

FenStar wrote:Oh, I guess I thought he was the 9 yr old...

this one:

FenStar

KtCallista wrote:Okay, back to taking care of the baby and reconfiguring my computer so it is usable. I forgot how truly miserable it is to replace the OS drive.

Can't you just make a copy of the whole hard drive?

FenStar

Josephus wrote:this one:

Yea, I thought they where the same person.

Josephus

FenStar wrote:Can't you just make a copy of the whole hard drive?

not usually, at least I couldn't. I have a computer wihere the motherboard has a fried keyboard connection and a fried mouse connection. Since I don't have the original software to reload the computer any more, I'm kind of stuck. It won't boot with a keyboard error, even if you have a USB keyboard.

any ideas?

FenStar

Josephus wrote:not usually, at least I couldn't. I have a computer wihere the motherboard has a fried keyboard connection and a fried mouse connection. Since I don't have the original software to reload the computer any more, I'm kind of stuck. It won't boot with a keyboard error, even if you have a USB keyboard.

any ideas?

Stick the old hard drive in a new computer?

FenStar

FenStar wrote:Stick the old hard drive in a new computer?

Manually replace/remove the old ps\2 ports, If it is a short circut, removing them should work maybe?

Photos?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Josephus wrote:not usually, at least I couldn't. I have a computer wihere the motherboard has a fried keyboard connection and a fried mouse connection. Since I don't have the original software to reload the computer any more, I'm kind of stuck. It won't boot with a keyboard error, even if you have a USB keyboard.

any ideas?

If it's Windows, can't you boot in Safe mode which boots with minimal drivers. Seems like it should be able to recognize the keyboard and use standard drivers.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

FenStar

daj59 wrote:If it's Windows, can't you boot in Safe mode which boots with minimal drivers. Seems like it should be able to recognize the keyboard and use standard drivers.

I was thinking maybe it wasn't recognizing the USB one because it thought something was going on in the PS\2 one do to a short or something?

Josephus

FenStar wrote:Manually replace/remove the old ps\2 ports, If it is a short circut, removing them should work maybe?

not sure I know how to do that.

Can't stick it in a new computer because it is/was a windows copy that is married to its computer. I replaced the motherboard once, but I haven't been able to find the same one again, and I don't really want to buy one hoping it will work with my chip, a Pentium 4, which I don't know how fast it is. I might be able to find that out during the boot process, I don't remember.

Josephus

daj59 wrote:If it's Windows, can't you boot in Safe mode which boots with minimal drivers. Seems like it should be able to recognize the keyboard and use standard drivers.

never gets to windows. It checks the keyboard in its initial boot.

Josephus

FenStar wrote:I was thinking maybe it wasn't recognizing the USB one because it thought something was going on in the PS\2 one do to a short or something?

that would be my guess.

Josephus

FenStar wrote:Manually replace/remove the old ps\2 ports, If it is a short circut, removing them should work maybe?

Photos?

hmm. maybe tomorrow. Its kids time now.

FenStar

Josephus wrote:not sure I know how to do that.

very carefully. I don't know how they are attached, but if the two of them a stacked on top of each other and not connected to anything else, you might be able to use a soldering iron to melt to solder attaching it and remove it.

Josephus

FenStar wrote:very carefully. I don't know how they are attached, but if the two of them a stacked on top of each other and not connected to anything else, you might be able to use a soldering iron to melt to solder attaching it and remove it.

I had actually thought about trying this. Can a person get replacements for those parts?

-I suppose I could ask MSI about it.

FenStar

like this one
http://www.techiwarehouse.com/i/Motherboard/Motherboard2.jpg
come from underneath and melt the solder attaching it to the board, no idea if that would work though...

FenStar

Josephus wrote:I had actually thought about trying this. Can a person get replacements for those parts?

I would the the PS\2 port things would be fairly standard, if you could find an old broken mobo and switch them? I guess if I got them off I would just stick with a USB mouse and keyboard, as soldering one on could be near imposable.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Josephus wrote:I had actually thought about trying this. Can a person get replacements for those parts?

Maybe at Fry's electronics?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Josephus wrote:this one:

About six more years and the girls are going to love those eyes and that curly hair.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

any ideas?

Dr. J,
No ideas here, but a story to relate: I've tried to change the keyboard and mouse from PS/2 to USB in the past, but on the first boot, the system wouldn't recognize the USB equipment until after Windows had finished loading. I dunno why. I'm not sure if the system now recognizes the USB equipment before Windows loads, but I'm not surprised to hear that you get a keyboard error even with a USB keyboard plugged in.

A chip on your M/B might be fried anyway, rather than the jacks, so there's a possibility that even if you figure out how to replace the jacks, that might not fix your problem.

Josephus

daj59 wrote:Maybe at Fry's electronics?

not around here. Micro Warehouse, though, just opened in Rockville.

Josephus

pooflady wrote:About six more years and the girls are going to love those eyes and that curly hair.

I'm thinking both of the boys.

Josephus

no1 wrote:Dr. J,
No ideas here, but a story to relate: I've tried to change the keyboard and mouse from PS/2 to USB in the past, but on the first boot, the system wouldn't recognize the USB equipment until after Windows had finished loading. I dunno why. I'm not sure if the system now recognizes the USB equipment before Windows loads, but I'm not surprised to hear that you get a keyboard error even with a USB keyboard plugged in.

A chip on your M/B might be fried anyway, rather than the jacks, so there's a possibility that even if you figure out how to replace the jacks, that might not fix your problem.

Yeah, I know. Its a pity. In general when you boot, does it tell you how fast your Processor is? If so, I will probably try to get a similar motherboard that will be compatible.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Uh oh, computer diagnostics time it appears.

FenStar

Josephus wrote:Yeah, I know. Its a pity. In general when you boot, does it tell you how fast your Processor is? If so, I will probably try to get a similar motherboard that will be compatible.

The socket thing is what you need to know I think. In any case, you should be able to get the model number off the chip itself. Also, if you are going to replace the mobo, you might as well get a new processor or buy a new comp, as memory is cheap. Ask GWP.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:Yeah, I know. Its a pity. In general when you boot, does it tell you how fast your Processor is? If so, I will probably try to get a similar motherboard that will be compatible.

Dr. J,
I never look at the bootup messages, so I'm not sure, but I think it might. However, that may happen after the POST, so you may be SOL there. If you can't get past the POST, does that mean your computer is fully nonoperational and therefore available for experimentation? You could open up the computer and read the M/B manufacturer and model number, and get another one off of Ebay. Or, if you're really ambitious, pry the heatsink/fan off the CPU and read the processor model number.

jqubed

any ideas?

laptop or desktop? if it's a desktop, you might be able to find the same motherboard somewhere, though my luck with that on eBay hasn't netted me a working mobo

edit: scratch that, saw your later post

Skye — 1997-2007

SkekTek

FenStar wrote:The socket thing is what you need to know I think. In any case, you should be able to get the model number off the chip itself. Also, if you are going to replace the mobo, you might as well get a new processor or buy a new comp, as memory is cheap. Ask GWP.

If you do figure out what you need to replace your hardware, you can go to www.pricewatch.com and search for it. It's a really solid tech price search engine.

jqubed

Josephus wrote:not sure I know how to do that.

Can't stick it in a new computer because it is/was a windows copy that is married to its computer. I replaced the motherboard once, but I haven't been able to find the same one again, and I don't really want to buy one hoping it will work with my chip, a Pentium 4, which I don't know how fast it is. I might be able to find that out during the boot process, I don't remember.

what version of Windows is it? if it's Vista it may not migrate to a new mobo, that's where windows draws the line and says "this is a new computer" on OEM versions (the kind that would be tied to a computer). how old's the computer? with a Pentium 4, I'm thinking not the newest; at this point, you might get a new computer that's more powerful for about the same price you could end up spending to repair it. in that case you may want to just buy a new cheap one and pull your hard drive out of the old and put it in the new so you'll have your old data (but you'll need to reinstall the programs).

Skye — 1997-2007

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

Go Hillary...

jqubed

killingtime wrote:Go Hillary...

hey kt, have you cast your vote on a new laptop?

Skye — 1997-2007

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Interesting ...

A couple of results there that are less troubling to me than what could have been. (And what had been predicted...)

SkekTek

Didn't think Huckabee did well...

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
jqubed wrote:hey kt, have you cast your vote on a new laptop?

----------------------------------------------------
Inspiron 1720 - Intel® Core蒂 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

-- Inspiron 1720 --
-- Intel® Core蒂 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
-----------------------
-- System Color --
-- Spring Green
-----------------------
-- MEMORY --
-- 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
-----------------------
-- LCD Panel --
-- Glossy, high contrast, widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440 x 900)
-----------------------
-- Video Card --
-- 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
-----------------------
-- Hard Drive --
-- Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
-----------------------
-- Operating System --
-- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
-----------------------
-- Network Card --
-- Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
-----------------------
-- Adobe Software --
-- Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
-----------------------
-- Optical Drive --
-- CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
-----------------------
-- Sound Card --
-- High Definition Audio 2.0
-----------------------
-- Wireless Networking Cards --
-- Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
-----------------------
-- Camera --
-- Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
-----------------------
-- Misc Productivity Software --
-- Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint
-----------------------
-- Anti-Virus/ Security suite (pre-install) --
-- I chose the promotional security package with service
-----------------------
-- Battery Options --
-- 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
-----------------------
-- Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options --
-- DellCare Plus
-----------------------
-- Installation Services --
-- 1 Year Complimentary LoJack Theft Recovery Service
-----------------------
-- Dial-Up Internet Access --
-- No ISP requested
-----------------------
-- Power Adapter --
-- Belkin 2-Outlet Travel Surge Protector
-----------------------
-- Bluetooth and Wireless USB --
-- Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
-----------------------
-- Dell Recycling --
-- Free Recycling Kit
-----------------------
-- Media Center Enhancements --
-- Dell Travel Remote Control, IR
-----------------------
-- Dell Digital Entertainment --
-- Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player
-----------------------
-- DOMS Camera Mod --
-- Premium Metallic Green with Soft Touch LCD back color w/ 2.0M pixel Camera
-----------------------
--Mouse
--Logitech V220 Wireless Mouse for Inspiron 1420 1520 1521 1720 1721
--Spring Green - Dell Only
-----------------------
-- Processor Branding --
-- Intel® Core蒂2 Duo Label
-----------------------
-- Labels --
-- Windows Vista蒂 Premium
-----------------------
-- Datasafe --
-- DataSafe included with DellCare Service bundle
-- Laplink PCmover Essentials: Migrates applications with Easy Transfer cable
-- PC Tutor: Learn Windows Vista and Office 2007

SkekTek

Kt, VERY nice computer! Green too... Good memory, graphics, so it should run Vista well, but of course, I'd go with XP still...