Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jqubed wrote:what version of Windows is it? if it's Vista it may not migrate to a new mobo, that's where windows draws the line and says "this is a new computer" on OEM versions (the kind that would be tied to a computer). how old's the computer? with a Pentium 4, I'm thinking not the newest; at this point, you might get a new computer that's more powerful for about the same price you could end up spending to repair it. in that case you may want to just buy a new cheap one and pull your hard drive out of the old and put it in the new so you'll have your old data (but you'll need to reinstall the programs).

It is an OEM edition of Win 98 Prof edition.
the programs are the main issue. I have Photoshop installed, that's the main thing. I'd also have to buy a copy of Windows. also complete Office.
A new MOBO is going to cost about 40 bucks? That's way cheaper.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:It is an OEM edition of Win 98 Prof edition.
the programs are the main issue. I have Photoshop installed, that's the main thing. I'd also have to buy a copy of Windows. also complete Office.

If it's an old MOBO, it may be even cheaper.

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:If it's an old MOBO, it may be even cheaper.

yeah, probably so. I wish I could remember where I got that motherboard. maybe I have a box...

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

I've had good luck just copying the directory structure for Photoshop from one drive to another (or onto a CD...) and extracting it again on the new computer. I lost my installation CD for PS6 when my last PC died, but mounting the old drive in the new computer and copying it over worked great. Somehow I doubt you're running CS2 if you're running 98 as the OS ...

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
killingtime wrote:[comp stats]

looks good! hope you like it! i think you'll prefer the 17" for your graphics work...

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus

gwp wrote:I've had good luck just copying the directory structure for Photoshop from one drive to another (or onto a CD...) and extracting it again on the new computer. I lost my installation CD for PS6 when my last PC died, but mounting the old drive in the new computer and copying it over worked great. Somehow I doubt you're running CS2 if you're running 98 as the OS ...

It is PS6, actually. unless its 5- been a while since I used it. hmm.

jqubed

wow! going with a classic! well in that case, if you can find a mobo for $40, then yeah, you should be good. and you might not have any trouble with the stuff moving over, then - that's pre-activation days, obviously. if you have the install disks for photoshop it should still run fine, but i'm not sure if an old office will run so great on Vista. when i was trying to find a replacement mobo for my comp, I couldn't get it for <$100, and the shop that was trying to get mine back up and running would've put the costs to almost $300 in the end... we did a special instead and bought a new comp for ~$500 (already had Vista) and I already had Office 2k7, which thanks to my university discount only cost $90 for full-bore Office Enterprise

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus

gwp wrote:I've had good luck just copying the directory structure for Photoshop from one drive to another (or onto a CD...) and extracting it again on the new computer. I lost my installation CD for PS6 when my last PC died, but mounting the old drive in the new computer and copying it over worked great. Somehow I doubt you're running CS2 if you're running 98 as the OS ...

wow, it actually works. I copied the directory structure of the whole drive previously when I was trying to make sure I had all the data; scientific data.

I should state that I have a reasonably good provenance on ownership of all the programs on the computer, including WIndows, and I even have the windows disks in 'backup' form. I just don't have any of the official disks. I'll just say that even at rather large institutions, the help one gets from the IT department is in general somewhat questionable in nature.

jqubed

heh, I've got PS 6 also (and 5.5). I still haven't installed it on this Vista box, though.

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus

jqubed wrote:heh, I've got PS 6 also (and 5.5). I still haven't installed it on this Vista box, though.

The computer I'm using now I made with mnementh's help. Has an AMD Athlon 64 2.21 GHz processor chip, 2GB RAM, Office 2000 Pro, Win XP and Win XP64.

and now, apparently, Photoshop 6.

jqubed

Josephus wrote:The computer I'm using now I made with mnementh's help. Has an AMD Athlon 64 2.21 GHz processor chip, 2GB RAM, Office 2000 Pro, Win XP and Win XP64.

and now, apparently, Photoshop 6.

haven't seen him in a while, does he still come around? and was he just helping online, or does he actually live in your area?

Skye — 1997-2007

Josephus

jqubed wrote:haven't seen him in a while, does he still come around? and was he just helping online, or does he actually live in your area?

online.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
Josephus wrote:online.

What are you doing still awake?
Kids?

Josephus

acemom wrote:What are you doing still awake?
Kids?

I just woke up in the middle of the night.

Josephus

Hellfire and dalmations!

I j ust did a security update on my usual computer- downloaded about 6 or 7 updates. I'm using my laptop now.

Now, the computer won't recognize my USB connected devices, including my tablet, mouse, wireless internet connector, all of it. Also, they've now hidden the update in the restart button- when did that happen? If you click restart, and you have updates available, it automatically does the update. there's a separate link you have to click to avoid downloading the updates. what kind of crap is that?

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:Hellfire and dalmations!

I j ust did a security update on my usual computer- downloaded about 6 or 7 updates. I'm using my laptop now.

Now, the computer won't recognize my USB connected devices, including my tablet, mouse, wireless internet connector, all of it. Also, they've now hidden the update in the restart button- when did that happen? If you click restart, and you have updates available, it automatically does the update. there's a separate link you have to click to avoid downloading the updates. what kind of crap is that?

Holy smoke... wow. Do you remember what updates you put on there that knocked out your USB? This I assume is the old Win98SE box, right? I don't think they had System Restore back then, so your only chance might be to boot in safe mode and see if you can uninstall the updates...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Holy smoke... wow. Do you remember what updates you put on there that knocked out your USB? This I assume is the old Win98SE box, right? I don't think they had System Restore back then, so your only chance might be to boot in safe mode and see if you can uninstall the updates...

I don't think they do AutoUpdates on 98 anymore.

Update Tuesday is the first Tuesday of every month. You'll usually receive the updates on your computer on Wednesday. Mine is showing it is ready to update. I'll do it when I leave for lunch.

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/bulletins/default.mspx

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Holy smoke... wow. Do you remember what updates you put on there that knocked out your USB? This I assume is the old Win98SE box, right? I don't think they had System Restore back then, so your only chance might be to boot in safe mode and see if you can uninstall the updates...

no this is win xp pro. The motherboard problem computer is a different one. It is win XP Pro to, I don't know why I typed WIn 98. We have a sort of server computer with that on it that wife uses to play spider solitaire on, though.

I set this computer up to save and do system restores, but I can't figure out where it is.
how can I get to system restore? I don't have any mouse either.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:no this is win xp pro. The motherboard problem computer is a different one.

I set this computer up to save and do system restores, but I can't figure out where it is.
how can I get to system restore? I don't have any mouse either.

Whew! Yeah, you can go back. If you have a keyboard functional, you can get to it using just the keys. It's Windows key > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. You should be able to use the arrows to get to that. Then restore to the first restore point before the updates, and it should do the rest. the USB should come back. You then should probably do updates using the Expert/Advanced (not the automatic) choice when they pop up, and install them individually to avoid this again.

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Whew! Yeah, you can go back. If you have a keyboard functional, you can get to it using just the keys. It's Windows key > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. You should be able to use the arrows to get to that. Then restore to the first restore point before the updates, and it should do the rest. the USB should come back. You then should probably do updates using the Expert/Advanced (not the automatic) choice when they pop up, and install them individually to avoid this again.

before this happened, i was going to ask how i can restore my programs info- the info there had disappeared weeks ago, I've been using links to open programs, as well as Windwos explorer.
can you tell me where the system restore program is located so i can start it using Windows Explorer?

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
Josephus wrote:before this happened, i was going to ask how i can restore my programs info- the info there had disappeared weeks ago, I've been using links to open programs, as well as Windwos explorer.
can you tell me where the system restore program is located so i can start it using Windows Explorer?

The shortcut I placed on my desktop shows system restore at:

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Hope that helps! Sounds like the computer gremlins have run amok at your house...good luck! (I installed 3 updates earlier this morning with no issues.)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Josephus wrote:before this happened, i was going to ask how i can restore my programs info- the info there had disappeared weeks ago, I've been using links to open programs, as well as Windwos explorer.

Restore Wizard: C:\WINDOWS\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Josephus

thanks y'all. crossing my fingers - i know there isn't a physical problem, since the stuff works when i boot in win xp 64- though there are no drivers for my wireless internet adapter, so i can't really use the OS.

Josephus

Well, I have functionality back, at least. I found 2 USB ports that I could plug into. The restore does not give me back the functionality though. I see the tablet light up as I boot, and the wireless adapter light up, and then, as windows loads, they both turn off. For some reason, windows is turning off that USB controller, despite it showing as on and fine in the hardware thing. weird.

meanwhile, how can I put my programs back in the startup programs all programs position? I've dragged a few in there, but I really want them all to show up, and they don't.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:meanwhile, how can I put my programs back in the startup programs all programs position? I've dragged a few in there, but I really want them all to show up, and they don't.

Dr. J,
System Restore didn't restore your All Programs shortcuts?

Dragging and dropping doesn't work?

Hmm. I'm stumped.

You could try adding and editing shortcuts manually. Try adding shortcuts to either

C:\Documents and Settings\Josephus\Start Menu\Programs\

or possibly

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
Josephus wrote:

meanwhile, how can I put my programs back in the startup programs all programs position? I've dragged a few in there, but I really want them all to show up, and they don't.

Maybe it has to do with what user you're logged in as? If you go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu are they still there? Further down in the folders list you can look at the other users and their start menus...maybe your start menu got dragged to another user. Just a random thought; there are probably others here who can help you better.

If nothing else, you can use that location to try to re-create the programs list if you don't find a better solution.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:Well, I have functionality back, at least. I found 2 USB ports that I could plug into. The restore does not give me back the functionality though. I see the tablet light up as I boot, and the wireless adapter light up, and then, as windows loads, they both turn off. For some reason, windows is turning off that USB controller, despite it showing as on and fine in the hardware thing. weird.

What you might want to do is unplug them (while Win is running), wait a minute, then either 1) plug them back in and see if Win re-loads them, or 2) plug them into a new USB port and have Win re-install the drivers for the new port. Either one might work.

Josephus

no1 wrote:Dr. J,
System Restore didn't restore your All Programs shortcuts?

Dragging and dropping doesn't work?

Hmm. I'm stumped.

You could try adding and editing shortcuts manually. Try adding shortcuts to either

C:\Documents and Settings\Josephus\Start Menu\Programs\

or possibly

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

losing the programs happened before Christmas. so I didn't restore that far back, just a few days. I've been manually adding them back, but that is really slow, and tough to do for things like the windows accessories and restore, etc. but hadn't thought of Joe's idea, looking at other users. I'm the only one who uses this computer, so there may not be others, although it seems to me there is an 'All users' folder for settings.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Who wants to help me with a calculus question?

Still single, can't imagine why.

no1

FenStar wrote:Who wants to help me with a calculus question?

"Calculus, it's what's for dinner"

FenStar

no1 wrote:"Calculus, it's what's for dinner"

Are you volunteering?

no1

FenStar wrote:Are you volunteering?

Mr. Star,
You should probably ask one-a them college boys. Dr. J and Prof. Tek.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Umm maybe, not my strongest math. My mom has a math ed degree, she never learned calc. Passed the classes by attending sports games. Each ticket stub was good for credit in the class, she was in the pep band so ticket stubs were easy to get. She regrets it now.

Beware the V'owls screech!

Josephus

just brush regularly, and it won't be a problem.

edit: I haven't done any calculus since about 1980. Don't think those neurons are still active any more.

FenStar

KtCallista wrote:Each ticket stub was good for credit in the class

Why would they do that, an how would that be allowed?

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
FenStar wrote:Why would they do that, an how would that be allowed?

Considering the school, and when this was (mid 1970s), lots of stuff was allowed that isn't now. Although even in my calc class if you guessed the scores of certain college ball games accurately it was good for some extra credit points.

Beware the V'owls screech!

Josephus

KtCallista wrote:Considering the school, and when this was (mid 1970s), lots of stuff was allowed that isn't now. Although even in my calc class if you guessed the scores of certain college ball games accurately it was good for some extra credit points.

I was taking a practical exam in invertebrate biology one time, and had a rest session- each question had a five minute limit, then you had to move to the next one, which was some sort of dissection or microscope slide with a question written next to it. anyway, because those sorts of exams are incredibly pressure-filled, they interspersed rest sessions between the questions so that you could recover your wits. So, I was at one of those, and wrote out the lord's prayer.

The prof gave me 5 bonus points.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Josephus wrote:I was taking a practical exam in invertebrate biology one time, and had a rest session- each question had a five minute limit, then you had to move to the next one, which was some sort of dissection or microscope slide with a question written next to it. anyway, because those sorts of exams are incredibly pressure-filled, they interspersed rest sessions between the questions so that you could recover your wits. So, I was at one of those, and wrote out the lord's prayer.

The prof gave me 5 bonus points.

The power of prayer, right?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Josephus

pooflady wrote:The power of prayer, right?

I just thought I was making a joke.

no1

Mr. Star,
What was the question?

Just curios, I guess.