Uncorked

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uncorked

May peace and love surround all here who are hurting, mourning or in need of healing. This is a great group of caring people

Domestic Zymologist since 1980

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
killingtime wrote:Update:

Took Dad to hospital at 6 am yesterday for surgery. He was taken into the OR at 12:30 pm. I knew my Dad's heart was operating at a low percentage, but didn't realize it was just 10%. I also was not informed about how risky this surgery would be as my parents kept referring to it as a "bypass." So, I was thinking bypass as in the singular form of bypass.

Around 7:00 pm, the doctor came in. The operation took 6 hours or so. He ended up having a quadruple bypass. Then there was a "leaky valve" and a big clot. They replaced a few of the things with pig stuff, I think. He was considered too old for titanium or porcelain. I guess the pig stuff lasts for 15 years or so. Even with the quadruple bipass, his maximum heart efficiency will be 25%, which is still a lot more than previously.

The clot is of major concern right now as it determines if he stroked or will stroke in the next 24-48 hours. At 7:45 pm, we got to see Dad for a brief moment. Initially, I saw someone who looked like my Dad in room 8 and I was freaking out. The man was struggling to breathe at all and it wasn't a pretty sight. Luckily the nurse said he was in room 7. Phew! Dad looked puffy and was bleeding quite a bit...from the heart and the grafts from his legs. My sister was on the verge of tears because of the breathing tube and all the other connections. I actually thought he looked pretty good other than the fact that he looked bloated.

I was most nervous talking to him before going in because I was beginning to understand the gravity of the situation. I think that they (Mom & Dad) were trying to obscure the level of risk from me because of everything I've been through this past year.

Dad is still not awake, which is typical after an operation like this, and they will slowly try to wake him up throughout the day so they can ask him questions to see if any stroking occurred.

I thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I know it isn't over yet, but it was nice knowing people were wishing him well yesterday.

I also want to express my deepest condolences to GWP and his family for their recent loss....

-KT

Update:

Mom, sister & I went in to see Dad at 12 noon yesterday. (Anything earlier is considered bad because the doctors are in the morning rounds.)

We missed a call from Dad's doctor on route, so when we got in, we were told he had some leakage still from one of the things (it gets so confusing after a while which is what) so they had to re-open him up and was under heavy sedation.

I was looking forward to seeing my father 1/2 lucid, but it wasn't meant to be yesterday. He missed Leap Year Day entirely...but seeing how it is just an extra day, I am sure he'd be okay with it.

The two positives were: the night prior his lips were starting to move so they had to re-sedate him (because of the breathing tube) and this morning they tried to slowly lift him from sedation and asked him to wiggle his toes and fingers and he could. He couldn't open his eyes because he is still swollen/bloated...even more than the initial day of the operation. I touched his feet and arm to let him know (even if he won't remember it) that I was there.

Last night, I woke up at 3am...and talked with my three cats to tell them "everything was going to be fine" and talked to God (which I only tend to do in major times of crisis, unfortunately) that any potential exchange that I had to make by losing my husband to still having my father for a little while longer was completely worth it. I love my Dad very much.

Tonight it is supposed to snow and into mid-day. It could be rain, too. We will most likely go into Boston tomorrow in the afternoon. I hope they begin to wake him slowly so he can see us, but also don't want him in any pain. He's going to hate waking up to the breathing tube. I am sure anyone would.

Waking up at night/early morning is difficult for me as it is still dark. I went to use the bathroom not long ago and heard an owl hooting outside. In the dark, my mind drifts to unpleasantries whereas in the morning with the sun, everything seems hopeful and right in the world.

I received some mail yesterday from the attorney concerning my situation. It was pretty disturbing as I am slowly finding out what my husband is currently up to. I used to discuss such things with Dad so not having my com padre there was difficult. I tried to talk with Mom & for the first time in a long time, she discussed the idea of us all moving out of Massachusetts...which might not be a bad thing.

Again, thanks for your well wishes. Like Uncorked said, we have an amazing bunch of people here that deeply care for one another. Hard to even think this type of bond could exist with total strangers on an e-commerce site.

-KT

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee

Thanks for the update KT. You and your family are in our thoughts. I know what you mean regarding unpleasant thoughts in the dark and feeling more hopeful in the morning. I hope that now that it is light out, things will look a bit brighter for you and your family.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Love ya KT, take good care of yourself.
Life will get good again.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Uncorked

One of the best bits of advice I have received:
Don't waste your time & energy worrying about what "might" happen
Just be prepared to deal with what comes next.

(not sure how that works some of the time, but at least the worry level is down)

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Uncorked wrote:One of the best bits of advice I have received:
Don't waste your time & energy worrying about what "might" happen
Just be prepared to deal with what comes next.

(not sure how that works some of the time, but at least the worry level is down)

Don't you worry that you aren't worrying?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

Mom, sister & I went in to see Dad at 12 noon yesterday. (Anything earlier is considered bad because the doctors are in the morning rounds.)

We missed a call from Dad's doctor on route, so when we got in, we were told he had some leakage still from one of the things (it gets so confusing after a while which is what) so they had to re-open him up and was under heavy sedation.

I was looking forward to seeing my father 1/2 lucid, but it wasn't meant to be yesterday. He missed Leap Year Day entirely...but seeing how it is just an extra day, I am sure he'd be okay with it.

The two positives were: the night prior his lips were starting to move so they had to re-sedate him (because of the breathing tube) and this morning they tried to slowly lift him from sedation and asked him to wiggle his toes and fingers and he could. He couldn't open his eyes because he is still swollen/bloated...even more than the initial day of the operation. I touched his feet and arm to let him know (even if he won't remember it) that I was there.

Last night, I woke up at 3am...and talked with my three cats to tell them "everything was going to be fine" and talked to God (which I only tend to do in major times of crisis, unfortunately) that any potential exchange that I had to make by losing my husband to still having my father for a little while longer was completely worth it. I love my Dad very much.

Tonight it is supposed to snow and into mid-day. It could be rain, too. We will most likely go into Boston tomorrow in the afternoon. I hope they begin to wake him slowly so he can see us, but also don't want him in any pain. He's going to hate waking up to the breathing tube. I am sure anyone would.

Waking up at night/early morning is difficult for me as it is still dark. I went to use the bathroom not long ago and heard an owl hooting outside. In the dark, my mind drifts to unpleasantries whereas in the morning with the sun, everything seems hopeful and right in the world.

I received some mail yesterday from the attorney concerning my situation. It was pretty disturbing as I am slowly finding out what my husband is currently up to. I used to discuss such things with Dad so not having my com padre there was difficult. I tried to talk with Mom & for the first time in a long time, she discussed the idea of us all moving out of Massachusetts...which might not be a bad thing.

Again, thanks for your well wishes. Like Uncorked said, we have an amazing bunch of people here that deeply care for one another. Hard to even think this type of bond could exist with total strangers on an e-commerce site.

-KT

Update:

4 am and I am up again. My sleeping pattern has been strange.

I bought my first woot tee this morning...the koi. The "I Often Kiss You When There’s No One Else Around" is what sealed the deal for me. It is very Cure-ish.

I am also digging some of the line art entries this week.

Went to see Dad at the hospital at 1:30 pm. He's still in ICU. They were slowly bringing him up off the anesthesia. He is very swollen. He was 91kg when he entered the hospital and is now 116kg. He opened his eyes slightly when my sister and I said, "Hi, Dad!"

He was so cute. He still had his breathing tube in, but he wanted to show us that he was okay so he wiggled his fingers on both hands and his toes on his feet very slowly and deliberately.

The nurse said his breathing tube would be coming out in an hour, so we left and came back.

The second visit was a little more difficult. His back was hurting and was given two doses Morphine & they are trying to get him to use Percocet instead to tax his body less. He also had a misting mask on. You could tell he was uncomfortable by his facial gestures. At one point he kept moving one finger and pointing toward the door. One of us finally asked if he wanted us to leave and he nodded "yes."

I think he doesn't realize that we've seen him worse...over the past two days...and he didn't want us to see him compromised in any way since he's our Dad, our superhero...

He had no clue what day it was. I told him it was "March 1st" and that he had been in the hospital for 2 days. He didn't seem to comprehend.

After we left, I think he was just so worn out from the brief visit, he fell back asleep.

So far so good. *knocks on wood* Thank you everyone for keeping him in mind and keeping him safe.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Our thoughts and prayers are with you KT.

Get some sleep!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Uncorked

dontwantaname wrote:Don't you worry that you aren't worrying?

Oh, I still worry too much...but now I know it really isn't doing me any good.

LKK just slaps me silly when she catches me worrying too much (not really, but she'd like to).
She's much better at not worrying than I am...you know the prayer...God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, strength to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference...she lives by it...has been trying to teach me to live by it fo 30+ years, some of it has been sinking in...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Hey, KT, I'm glad to hear he's doing well. It's tough for him, being in that position, but believe me, he's very, very glad to see his family. It is such a disjointed , disoriented place to be, I'm sure he is easily confused. I can remember really not having any real interest in what day it was. I'd ask too, but forgot right away, because it really wasn't relevant to me then. Be there when you can.

killingtime

4 am and I am up again. My sleeping pattern has been strange.

I bought my first woot tee this morning...the koi. The "I Often Kiss You When There’s No One Else Around" is what sealed the deal for me. It is very Cure-ish.

I am also digging some of the line art entries this week.

Went to see Dad at the hospital at 1:30 pm. He's still in ICU. They were slowly bringing him up off the anesthesia. He is very swollen. He was 91kg when he entered the hospital and is now 116kg. He opened his eyes slightly when my sister and I said, "Hi, Dad!"

He was so cute. He still had his breathing tube in, but he wanted to show us that he was okay so he wiggled his fingers on both hands and his toes on his feet very slowly and deliberately.

The nurse said his breathing tube would be coming out in an hour, so we left and came back.

The second visit was a little more difficult. His back was hurting and was given two doses Morphine & they are trying to get him to use Percocet instead to tax his body less. He also had a misting mask on. You could tell he was uncomfortable by his facial gestures. At one point he kept moving one finger and pointing toward the door. One of us finally asked if he wanted us to leave and he nodded "yes."

I think he doesn't realize that we've seen him worse...over the past two days...and he didn't want us to see him compromised in any way since he's our Dad, our superhero...

He had no clue what day it was. I told him it was "March 1st" and that he had been in the hospital for 2 days. He didn't seem to comprehend.

After we left, I think he was just so worn out from the brief visit, he fell back asleep.

So far so good. *knocks on wood* Thank you everyone for keeping him in mind and keeping him safe.

Update:

Went into town with Mom to see Dad in ICU. He had eaten some toast, pineapple jello and had some juice. He commented on how he had a hard time eating the jello (his hands are still tremendously swollen).

His face and legs looked much better from the day before.

He was in good spirits although he was a little overly-concerned about the "Health Care Proxy." He was thinking my sister should be in control of it, which is funny as my sister is the least likely to want such a responsibility. So, it remains with Mom.

He was talking about needing pain medication and how is back was hurting. (I don't think he has any idea what they do to you for this operation - cracking your ribs, pulling your heart out of the body, etc...) We let him believe that his back hurt because he was lying in bed. Oh, he clearly wanted my Mom & me to tell the nurses he needs more pain medication "'Cause I'm a Dope Addict," he said. Funny how uninhibited one becomes when they've been sedated...

He used the word "hell" twice which is unlike him because he rarely swears. He said, "I am sorry for the hell I put you two through" and "Since I am gone from the house, everything has gone to hell." This is coming from a man who never liked his children to say the word "hate" but rather "dislike immensely."

Towards the end of the visit, or when he wanted us to go, he said, "You're dismissed!" Funny.

It is quite fun to see your parents all hopped up on meds...it is almost like they revert back to childhood. I remember my Mom giggling when she had he elbow reconstructive surgery two years ago...

We are hoping he goes to a normal floor today, but we'll see. We first need to head out to Kohl's to get my father some larger pants (because of the swelling & just for general comfortability) and some button-down shirts because of his operative area.

I have been skulking around a little and I have noticed that several people on woot are in the same boat I am. I wish everyone good luck with their situations and to remain hopeful. It is almost fate that we are all here to support one another through this...

"Your parents should never be allowed to grow old."

-KT

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

Went into town with Mom to see Dad in ICU. He had eaten some toast, pineapple jello and had some juice. He commented on how he had a hard time eating the jello (his hands are still tremendously swollen).

His face and legs looked much better from the day before.

He was in good spirits although he was a little overly-concerned about the "Health Care Proxy." He was thinking my sister should be in control of it, which is funny as my sister is the least likely to want such a responsibility. So, it remains with Mom.

He was talking about needing pain medication and how is back was hurting. (I don't think he has any idea what they do to you for this operation - cracking your ribs, pulling your heart out of the body, etc...) We let him believe that his back hurt because he was lying in bed. Oh, he clearly wanted my Mom & me to tell the nurses he needs more pain medication "'Cause I'm a Dope Addict," he said. Funny how uninhibited one becomes when they've been sedated...

He used the word "hell" twice which is unlike him because he rarely swears. He said, "I am sorry for the hell I put you two through" and "Since I am gone from the house, everything has gone to hell." This is coming from a man who never liked his children to say the word "hate" but rather "dislike immensely."

Towards the end of the visit, or when he wanted us to go, he said, "You're dismissed!" Funny.

It is quite fun to see your parents all hopped up on meds...it is almost like they revert back to childhood. I remember my Mom giggling when she had he elbow reconstructive surgery two years ago...

We are hoping he goes to a normal floor today, but we'll see. We first need to head out to Kohl's to get my father some larger pants (because of the swelling & just for general comfortability) and some button-down shirts because of his operative area.

I have been skulking around a little and I have noticed that several people on woot are in the same boat I am. I wish everyone good luck with their situations and to remain hopeful. It is almost fate that we are all here to support one another through this...

-KT

I am very glad to hear your father is doing better KT! You and your family are in our thoughts.

Uncorked

-KT

Sounds like recovery in progress....Very good to hear.

Ah, the trouble with growing older, our parents do the same...hopefully we can learn and grow stronger from the experience.
Keep on hangin' in there.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

sorry I missed you, glad to hear he seems to be recovering.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Uncorked

Hope everyone is having a peaceful evening..........

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Any update KT?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

dontwantaname wrote:Any update KT?

Update:

Dad got released from Beth Israel Hospital and was taken by ambulance to a nursing home nearby to rehab. He can't walk well (at all) right now. Between my mom & me, we really couldn't lift him or help him if he fell while at home. Mom had re-constructive surgery on her elbow two years ago so she has limited mobility. I have already been off work for 7+ days and have my good and bad blood sugar days.

If we brought him home, the two showers are on the second floor so he would have to be brought upstairs by EMTs and would be limited to bed positioning, which is bad because he has a lot of edema (about 50 lbs of liquid from the quadruple bypass). Though it is tough to see him in a nursing home and not home, we know it will be temporary until he gets his strength up and can walk.

What I didn't like hearing is his wishes for "DNR" - Do Not Resuscitate, which is maybe why he was so concerned about the Health Care Proxy.

Anyone hear from Poof? I was wondering how her Mom is doing...

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Dad got released from Beth Israel Hospital and was taken by ambulance to a nursing home nearby to rehab. He can't walk well (at all) right now. Between my mom & me, we really couldn't lift him or help him if he fell while at home. Mom had re-constructive surgery on her elbow two years ago so she has limited mobility. I have already been off work for 7+ days and have my good and bad blood sugar days.

If we brought him home, the two showers are on the second floor so he would have to be brought upstairs by EMTs and would be limited to bed positioning, which is bad because he has a lot of edema (about 50 lbs of liquid from the quadruple bypass). Though it is tough to see him in a nursing home and not home, we know it will be temporary until he gets his strength up and can walk.

What I didn't like hearing is his wishes for "DNR" - Do Not Resuscitate, which is maybe why he was so concerned about the Health Care Proxy.

Anyone hear from Poof? I was wondering how her Mom is doing...

Is it close to home?

Poof's mom is still in icu. Was confused yesterday, but better today.
Looks like she will go to rehab too after this.

Extra big hug

((((((((KT)))))))))

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

*bumperino*

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
killingtime wrote:*bumperino*

how's your dad doing?

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
killingtime wrote:*bumperino*

Hey, I was keeping an eye on it. I was gonna bump it if it went onto the next page.

But since you did, what JQ said, how's Dad doing? Making passes at nurses yet?

Any completions? ;)

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hey KT, we know you are checking in. How is it going?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Fensturd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fensturd

KT, Joe needs help!!

taerg si nef List of threads They say if you kill someone the Dark Brotherhood comes to you in your sleep.

tennbeekeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper

Bump... and still praying for you and your Dad, KT!
Much love to you, TNbee.

namewasbad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namewasbad

bump

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:

You must really miss KT. I thought you hated him.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Josephus

dontwantaname wrote:You must really miss KT. I thought you hated him.

that was me. :^D

no1

Ms. Name,

I really need to update my index cards, I thought Mr. KT was a girl.

Josephus

no1 wrote:Ms. Name,

excellent nudge toward better use of pronouns there, no1.

no1

no1 wrote:

It looks a little like he's holding his hands over his ears while he's singing, like he doesn't want to hear himself.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Not KT, Robert.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:It looks a little like he's holding his hands over his ears while he's singing, like he doesn't want to hear himself.

KT will kill you for that.

I will miss you.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Not KT, Robert.

Ms. Name,

Now I'm really confused. Robert is a girl?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Now I'm really confused. Robert is a girl?

Fine

KT is a guy.
Robert is a girl.
You are a officer on the star ship enterprise.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Fine

KT is a guy.
Robert is a girl.
You are a officer on the star ship enterprise.

Ms. Name,
Can I be Lt. Commander Data? He was fully functional.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Can I be Lt. Commander Data? He was fully functional.

Are we sure? He never had a girlfriend.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Are we sure? He never had a girlfriend.

"Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Naked Now (#1.2)" (1987)
[trying to seduce Data]
Lt. Tasha Yar: You are fully functional, aren't you?
Lt. Cmdr. Data: Yes.
Lt. Tasha Yar: How fully?
Lt. Cmdr. Data: In every way of course. I am programmed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring.
Lt. Tasha Yar: You jewel. That's exactly what I hoped.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:"Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Naked Now (#1.2)" (1987)
[trying to seduce Data]
Lt. Cmdr. Data: In every way of course. I am programmed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring.

I don't want to know how you remembered that off the top of your head.

Not that head!

Get your minds out of the gutter!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
no1 wrote:"Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Naked Now (#1.2)" (1987)
[trying to seduce Data]

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007