srstakey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srstakey

Wonderful. I absolutely hate coffee and the image that Starbucks presents. The way I see it, Starbucks really doesn't need to advertise themselves anymore anyway. Those who get the joke will laugh, and those who love Starbucks will not really care.

Woohoo! My first shirt.woot!

sasukechaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasukechaos
shmeedles wrote:obviously they didn't pick up the fixed version of the file I emailed them.

Can you please post your edited one, so at least we can see?

Subtle...

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja

I got 3.

Now they need to make a shirt for Worst Buy.

WildcardHB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WildcardHB

Parody is an affirmative defense to trademark infringement which is protected by the first amendment so long as it passes the consumer confusion test. If a substantial number of consumers confuse this shirt to that of Starbucks', then a court could find that the maker of this shirt infringed on the Starbucks trademark. Please see Nike, Inc. v. Just Did It Enter., 6 F.3d 1225, 1227 (7th Cir. 1993).

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
demonicon wrote:Read up on parodies of copyrighted material, it is legal.

Read up on Starbuck's legal history, they sue regardless of legality. Which means that if they got wind of this, they'd create a whole mess of legal fees for Woot- and while Woot would likely (but not definitely, parody is murky legal territory) eventually win, I doubt they want to argue their case in court for the next few years. They've sued smaller companies for lesser offenses, so I think it's only natural for fans of Woot to be a little concerned.

koggit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koggit
todntes wrote:I live in Seattle area. had to get 1

I live in Seattle, I had to be disappointed in Woot for continuing to offer derbies.

It seems people that visit Woot do not actually care what they look like. They simply do not care how a shirt looks, they only care about whether or not it's witty.

apimentel33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apimentel33

I thought this shirt was hilarious. Ordered 2.

dzap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dzap

I ordered one but I hope Woot! doesn't get in trouble...
e.g.
http://consumerist.com/consumer/trademarks/starbucks-to-sue-small-michigan-coffee-shop-for-trademark-infringement-321614.php
...which is ridiculous since you can totally tell them apart...imagine what Starbucks will do when they see this

shmeedles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmeedles
sasukechaos wrote:Can you please post your edited one, so at least we can see?

Not that much of a change, but it looks better. I gave them a pretty crappy ai file, and I'm guessing they took fixing it into their own hands. Didn't notice the email I sent them.

dopey5007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dopey5007

I got one, my brother has worked at some coffee shop for a couple of years now!

He will be getting this under the tree this year :D

~D

demonicon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demonicon
geekfactor12 wrote:Read up on Starbuck's legal history, they sue regardless of legality. Which means that if they got wind of this, they'd create a whole mess of legal fees for Woot- and while Woot would likely (but not definitely, parody is murky legal territory) eventually win, I doubt they want to argue their case in court for the next few years. They've sued smaller companies for lesser offenses, so I think it's only natural for fans of Woot to be a little concerned.

I agree, that is why I said read up on it, to ease concern. The first amendment is a hard thing for opposing parties in a legal matter to argue against.

nickyboy86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickyboy86

I work at sbux, and I love this shirt! Its funny cuz its true! Props to the designer im in for one. One of my fav shirt woots so far! Yay

djtj535

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtj535

starbucks has more sophisticated design shirts they offer... this is simply a parody, its HILARIOUS! i love it!

mgs33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgs33

fairly [in]significant difference in the middle dollar sign, if you bug them enough, maybe they'll change it...? eh they've probably printed them up by now

mgs33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgs33

fairly [in]significant difference in the middle dollar sign, if you bug them enough, maybe they'll change it...? eh they've probably printed them up by now

*lawsuit?*

lunchbx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunchbx
yoyo13987 wrote:for 10 bucks i can get two coffees

XD

CHRISTMAS CRAP.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
demonicon wrote:I agree, that is why I said read up on it, to ease concern. The first amendment is a hard thing for opposing parties in a legal matter to argue against.

Okay, but as I said earlier, whether this is legal or not is not the issue. The issue is whether or not Starbucks will sue, and their legal history seems to indicate that they will. Legality doesn't really do a whole lot in terms of preventing a lawsuit, so thats a whole lot of wasted time, money and effort even if they end up being victorious in a court situation. The goal of Starbucks in a situation like this is to financially cripple their opponent. They've got a lot of money to throw around.

timanlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timanlee

Ordered one!

my first woot shirt! whee

Woots worth mentioning...
Apr. 6 2008 = (Qty 1) Star Wars Lithograph, Etched Badge, and Embroidered Emblem Set for $25 (Froogle is $100+!)
Mar. 28 2008 - (Qty 3) Screaming Monkey with Pink or Blue Woot Cape (2 Blue and 1 Pink)
Jan. 31 2007 = 3 Random Craps!!!
Nov. 23 2007 = 2 Starbucks (Overpriced) T-shirt
WOOT ROCKS

drunkenmonk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drunkenmonk

go woot
f huge corporations
support local business
in for one

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

Just for the record, this is, to the best of my knowledge and research, the lowest scoring derby winner in shirt.woot history. It seems as though all but one prior champ have broken 500 comfortably... the other one that didn't break 500? Pirate Penguin, from "Blank is the New Pirate."

Not that that should stop you from purchasing the shirt, of course, but it's food for thought.

jlm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlm1

People will say, can I buy one at starbucks?

AlienZulu

quality posts: 11 Private Messages AlienZulu

had to get in on this before the lawsuit!

this will be bad for woot
starbucks is so sue crazy
plus starbucks is going to see how many times the word starbucks is mentioned in the comments so that they have it in writing that the shirt is a blatant rip off of starbucks

open shut
woot goes bye-bye

edit: Oliphaunts, Mordor, and Gandalf! i just realised it says the word Starbucks in the smurfing description!
woot seriously effed up on this one
i would be surprised if they actually ship these

emalichite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emalichite

crispy shirt i'm down fer 1

CuterThanYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CuterThanYou

Awesome, I was hoping for this one. In for one!

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual

condition: Underpriced
product(s): 1 Asphalt Woot Tee (4284)
Size: WS, WM, WL, WXL, S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X

despite how unoriginal and how jejune this design is, I gotta admit... i did get a good laugh

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

demonicon

geekfactor12 wrote:Okay, but as I said earlier, whether this is legal or not is not the issue. The issue is whether or not Starbucks will sue, and their legal history seems to indicate that they will. Legality doesn't really do a whole lot in terms of preventing a lawsuit, so thats a whole lot of wasted time, money and effort even if they end up being victorious in a court situation. The goal of Starbucks in a situation like this is to financially cripple their opponent. They've got a lot of money to throw around.

Money they do have, and I agree with you, but I would be more concerned if it were an actual business logo versus a shirt that is a parody. I am just fighting for the shirt because I think it is absolutely hilarious/true (atleast on the east coast, NYC specifically). On the west coast you can get a huge cup of black coffee for less than $2 with free refills; beats the local gas station.

timanlee

demonicon wrote:Money they do have, and I agree with you, but I would be more concerned if it were an actual business logo versus a shirt that is a parody. I am just fighting for the shirt because I think it is absolutely hilarious/true (atleast on the east coast, NYC specifically). On the west coast you can get a huge cup of black coffee for less than $2 with free refills; beats the local gas station.

That's true.
I'm in NYC. Black Coffee is like $3 with no refills.. snort!

But, theres a Starbucks at every block, snort!

Apr. 6 2008 = (Qty 1) Star Wars Lithograph, Etched Badge, and Embroidered Emblem Set for $25 (Froogle is $100+!)
Mar. 28 2008 - (Qty 3) Screaming Monkey with Pink or Blue Woot Cape (2 Blue and 1 Pink)
WOOT ROCKS

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

i was going to get this, but remembered i still havent received my Sugar BSOD that i ordered Nov 4th.... ):

blueraylene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blueraylene

Selling like hawt cakes.

You can't blame the woot, but you can blame the voters.

Good parody fun for all.

ellarae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellarae

It wasn't a stolen Idea, he doesn't like search the web or anything, it's just a more obvious pun, so I'm assuming he's not the only one who's thought of it at some point.
ps. I know this cause he's my brother.

djtj535

timanlee wrote:That's true.

Haha, was just in NYC a few days ago and theres alot of Xbucks and high prices... hey if you work at Xbucks you get like 35% off all purchases. dont tell anyone i said this, but thats the only reason i go there. :-P (aside from the great Peppermint white choco mocha!!)

demonicon

timanlee wrote:That's true.

snort!, no exaggeration, I've seen it!! Maybe it's such that if you forgot something at the first one, you have the next 10+ blocks of chances to get it.

demonicon

djtj535 wrote:Haha, was just in NYC a few days ago and theres alot of Xbucks and high prices... hey if you work at Xbucks you get like 35% off all purchases. dont tell anyone i said this, but thats the only reason i go there. :-P (aside from the great Peppermint white choco mocha!!)

And the assbackwards thing is, employee discounts INCREASE during the holidays.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
JadenKale wrote:sorry guys...

I said it before and I'll say it again, I won't buy a shirt that gives negative advertising to a company of which I truly hate their business practices. Any advertising, positive or negative gives them business.

Add to the fact that they are a sue-happy company, and all I have to say is: May God have mercy on woot!'s soul.

Couldn't agree more. Why give them any more publicity? Frankly, the shirts that garnered the most votes in this theme are terribly ironic, as they reinforce everything that's wrong with this bankrupt world.

timanlee

demonicon wrote:snort!, no exaggeration, I've seen it!! Maybe it's such that if you forgot something at the first one, you have the next 10+ blocks of chances to get it.

Yup!

WOOT ROCKS

Brian202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brian202

I actually like Starbucks, but I had to get this just because it's the truth. Their coffee is hella overpriced.

45 woots

djtj535

demonicon wrote:And the assbackwards thing is, employee discounts INCREASE during the holidays.

Oh yeah... my mom (who works at starbucks) is actually going there today (Black friday) to buy some espresso machine that she can get at super discount... BINGO BANGO! this shirt buy was a great way to start off my Black Friday!

crumbsucker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crumbsucker

I cant wait to wear one of these when im performing in a gasmask and striped suit.

timanlee

djtj535 wrote:Haha, was just in NYC a few days ago and theres alot of Xbucks and high prices... hey if you work at Xbucks you get like 35% off all purchases. dont tell anyone i said this, but thats the only reason i go there. :-P (aside from the great Peppermint white choco mocha!!)

Is the discount transferable? snort!

WOOT ROCKS

timanlee

ALMOST SOLD OUT!!!

Its bouncin!! Get yours while you can!

WOOT ROCKS