Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: Sweet Symphony




this shirt is awesome!

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Patchitect wrote:Im lame.. i had to look up IIRC.....


He definitely said the design was autobiographical about his last day at work.

brizad77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizad77
geekfactor12 wrote:I have some serious reservations about this one. The image looks pixelated even at the size we're seeing on screen. And to top it off, it goes pretty far outside Woot's printing area. It's not going to look anything like the way it does in the image above, because everything will be moved in by a couple of inches on either side (a pretty big deal, since the concept relies on having the notes cut off on the sides).

I don't think that what people are voting on is what buyers will actually be getting



I'm glad it's in da fog. I'll give woot the benefit of the doubt on the way it turns out. they have done side printing before. http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1541936

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
hotcha42 wrote:IIRC from the first derby that is Derek's photo, and actually I think he said that it's him in the suit. Maybe I'm crazy though.



I believe I remember him saying that also.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
jamescho84 wrote:(Woot business model, etc)


Threadless does a good job at being Threadless. In fact, there are a fine many sites doing design contests for the kinds of shirts you like to design and (I assume) buy. So I don't see anything to lament about with regard to nicely done artistic shirts.

Woot does a pretty good job at being Woot. They aren't all about art, but they aren't opposed to it. They aren't all about gimmicks, but they aren't opposed to them. They are very definitely middle of the road. It is exactly the same model they use on the regular Woot site. I think a lot of people like that about Woot. I know any time I wear a Woot shirt (i have quite a few now), people comment positively about it; regardless of whether it is a "text shirt" or a illustration.

Woot staffers seem pretty happy with themselves, too. They set the stage for all of this with their original daily shirts. Some were artistic. Some were gimmicks. I mean, they picked Nobody's Perfect and Chimpanzee Robusto... so it seems like they aren't averse to giving multiple groups of buyers a chance at products they want for a good price. I think they change the rules from derby to derby to ensure that designs from various camps do not "take over the place".

You can hate this shirt; that's fine. But don't hate the process. It's making a lot of people happy, and it's bringing together camps of people who otherwise would never talk. James, I know it's challenging you to go further with your designs... and if you are honest I think you will admit that you are a better illustrator and t-shirt designer because of the challenge.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
vishneda wrote:You can hate this shirt; that's fine. But don't hate the process. It's making a lot of people happy, and it's bringing together camps of people who otherwise would never talk. James, I know it's challenging you to go further with your designs... and if you are honest I think you will admit that you are a better illustrator and t-shirt designer because of the challenge.

This is what's bad about replying in this thread. I didn't even know this was in your shirt comments.. heh, sorry vishneda, I had no idea. I was just disagreeing with Patch saying what he said (i forget what).

aggie0785


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aggie0785
Re: Merry Catmas!



This is a great shirt, the artist must have worked really hard or else just be amazingly talented! I wish more people could appreciate it...and vote for it!

To the artist of this shirt, well done!

- destined to be great

SeymourGams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeymourGams

I know everyone has already said it but the apostrophe is the kicker for me on this shirt.

" I've heard of the '70s!" I would buy...

SeymourGams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeymourGams

I'd rock this shirt, the art is incredibly well done, but I am concerned about the colour.

SeymourGams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeymourGams

I want to have this shirt's babies.

SeymourGams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeymourGams

I want to vote for this so much and I did the first time but the colour kills it for me. I bought one shirt on here in that colour hoping the great design would overshadow it... it didn't.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
jamescho84 wrote:This is what's bad about replying in this thread. I didn't even know this was in your shirt comments.. heh, sorry vishneda, I had no idea. I was just disagreeing with Patch saying what he said (i forget what).



This is what you were replying to originally:

Patchitect wrote:Least common denominator design.

It sells!! and theres nothing wrong with that.



I wouldn't call this one lowest common denominator design by any means, so let's get that right out of the way. But as James, DeathByTshirt and myself have said, if producing lowest common denominator work was the goal of Woot (and it clearly isn't), it would be a losing proposition.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: listen to your heart


I've always wondered if this was unprintable as far as going up to the collar like I have it in the comp image.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Revolutions Around the Sun


One of the first entries that ever made me laugh out loud.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
MHBoston wrote:He always had clean execution and clear concepts. He is missed.


I remember he said this thing took him like 10 hours to draw or something insane like that. I was rooting for it back then for sure.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: piggin' flight (lighter)


I admire this one, but wearing it would challenge even *my* raging masculinity!

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Afterlife Nap


Always a fable fan... this one is loved in throughout household as well.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Super Pickle


I just love this little guy... totally wearable. If he goes elsewhere, let me know via PM.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Ninjas: The New Pirates!


It is really really dark, especially on the actual navy color shirt. Still, this is a fantastic illustration that got my vote... again.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Light vs Dark


I thought this design absolutely rocked the "light" derby. Great illustration and the concept is solid.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
whenxxmetxy wrote:I would buy this were it not for the ridiculous number on the calculator.


I definitely agree that the number joke makes it harder to wear this one.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Male Pattern Baldness


Oh, what might have been had this one not been rejected out of the "patterns" derby. I really felt it fit that theme well.

Falcon4


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Falcon4
Re: I've heard of the 70's


As a grammar meanie, I have to say that this shirt is correct - the apostrophe belongs anywhere an abbreviation is used - i.e. "CD's", "F-16's", and, of course, "70's".

Those who disagree are probably the same people that would say "your" is used to replace "you are".

On that note, I'd Want One.

summary:
Between 2007 and 2010: lots of woots.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Floating Leaf


I thought this one really set itself apart in the fall derby, and I think it is strong outside of the theme.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Red Blood Cell - Tunnel to the Brain (Edit)


This one had a couple submits if I recall correctly. Great design... love the character it brings. Designer incognito.

vishneda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vishneda
Re: Puckers of the World


Clearly the best Pucker to date.

MHBoston


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston

re: current Goelzjs entry

vishneda wrote:I remember he said this thing took him like 10 hours to draw or something insane like that. I was rooting for it back then for sure.


I remember that too. It was submitted late on Tuesday and still got 465 votes. This is one of the entries that gives weight to the argument that derby themes should be announced more than 24 hrs in advance.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
brizad77 wrote:I'm glad it's in da fog. I'll give woot the benefit of the doubt on the way it turns out. they have done side printing before. http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1541936



Because of the size of Woot's screens, they can't do side printing on both sides. If they print this, it will have to shrink. Guaranteed.

Plus, we're expressly forbidden from putting designs on the side of a shirt in the Derby. Daily shirts have a bit more leeway.

MHBoston


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
vishneda wrote:This one had a couple submits if I recall correctly. Great design... love the character it brings. Designer incognito.


If you've paid attention to the daily shirt descriptions, you would know who this is.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

goldminemechanic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldminemechanic
sayah wrote:If it was across the chest, Id vote and buy. This placement doesn't thrill me at all.


bummer- sweet design too



Yeh, right move up the placement

jmd161616


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmd161616
vishneda wrote:I admire this one, but wearing it would challenge even *my* raging masculinity!



Just think. Every female in your life, young and old, would be ever so pleased to be wearing the pig.

heyricochet


quality posts: 1 Private Messages heyricochet

If all of you want to buy a Roller Derby shirt at least support a real group, Support your local derby team. http://wftda.com/leagues.html

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
Falcon4 wrote:As a grammar meanie, I have to say that this shirt is correct - the apostrophe belongs anywhere an abbreviation is used - i.e. "CD's", "F-16's", and, of course, "70's".

Those who disagree are probably the same people that would say "your" is used to replace "you are".

On that note, I'd Want One.



The greengrocer's apostrophe is not correct, and a simple google search can provide plenty of evidence that you are wrong. It may be currently taught as an accepted usage by some English teachers because it is so widespread; this does not legitimize it.

Further, you don't know the difference between a plural and an abbreviation. I'm afraid you utterly fail at being a grammar meanie, nerd, or other nitpicker.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Nine to five o'clock shadow.



The shirt is absolutely autobiographical.

Anyone who has worked a 9 to 5 job can attest to the fact that they tend to drain the creativity out of someone (right quick too). It is not hard to imagine how an artistic person stuck between the four walls of their cubicle might suppress their creative instincts to the point where they rupture and demand release.

I was inspired by the street artistmovement. Most notably specific artists like Banksy and Ha-Ha. I like to picture these guys as working stiffs who get home after 45 minutes on the subway and can’t wait to grab their stencils and head out to create some urban masterpieces.

The most obvious explanation for the paint splatters (as opposed to a specific graffiti design) is that it is being seen through the eyes of the zombiesque working force. People who always live within the rules are inclined to harbor bitterness or misunderstanding towards those who bend them on occasion. There is a very clear difference to me between ‘graffiti’ and ‘street art’, though for the blurred grey mass of humanity on the shirt, I suspect there is no difference, so they only see paint splotches.

Additionally, the point of the shirt is not the paint, it is the artist. I kept the colors muted and the design splotchy to point the viewer’s eye to the man at the bottom. The one who is turned away from everyone, the businessman who has not let his creativity be smothered by the daily grind.

He is wearing a gasmask because 1. Many spray paint fumes are toxic, and the street-art culture is stereotypically associated with gasmasks. And 2.It looks cool.

Now, unfortunately (for reasons unknown to me) Sherah1 seems to have launched a personal vendetta against me. If you search the woot forums, you can see Sherah1’s very first post ever was to demean one of my other very popular shirts (from a different derby and a much different style). In fact, nearly all of sherah1’s 17 posts have been devoted to demeaning other artists’ designs. If he/she does not like my design, they are free not to vote for it, but I do ask that if they are going to accuse me of plagiarism, they at least base it on something (an online link perhaps?) The artwork is entirely original, and to insinuate otherwise without cause belies an ulterior motive (perhaps ‘Sherah1’ has a vested interest in one of my competitors’ success? An unfortunate possibility to suggest, but unfortunately not unprecedented in shirt.woot history.)

All that aside, I'd like to extend a big thank you to everyone who liked (and voted for this design, I hope I’ve cleared a couple of things up here ;-)

-Derek


Check out my blog:Here!

ekuest


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ekuest
Re: Pirate of the Internets



absolutely amazing. i want.

cgwodehouse


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cgwodehouse
Re: Walrusbird



I'm honestly not sure why I love this design so much, but I really, really do! Great work.

kriscad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriscad

woot should put a 30 day hold on the current way of doing things... and take 30 of these designs and print them.

kriscad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriscad

[quote postid="1854453" user="geekfactor12"]Because of the size of Woot's screens, they can't do side printing on both sides. If they print this, it will have to shrink. Guaranteed.

Plus, we're expressly forbidden from putting designs on the side of a shirt in the Derby. Daily shirts have a bit more leeway.[/quote


they can do it easily... just load the shirt up sideways on the pallets, run it thru dryer and print the other side/

nonreality


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nonreality
Re: The Fat man and his Friend 16x20



This is a great shirt, I just wonder if no one is clicking on it to see a larger view. It doesn't look like much in the thumbnail. I just happened to click out of curiousity of the title and loved it.

Ledbetterus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ledbetterus

I really love this graphic! It's something I would be proud to put in a frame and on my wall. I love the colors and everything, I just don't like the placement on the shirt :/ Call me weird, but yea.. good luck though, I may buy one to frame if you win :D

Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Back To Top