braverun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages braverun

I am just getting into digital drawing with a graphics pad, and I'm wondering what software you folks use. What do you like? What don't you like?

Also, tips on methods would be great. I've seen that some of you (maybe all of you) sketch first by hand your idea, then scan, then trace and enhance digitally.

I realize there may have already been a topic like this, but I couldn't find it. I would be just as happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Thank you all,
-weston

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
braverun wrote:I am just getting into digital drawing with a graphics pad, and I'm wondering what software you folks use. What do you like? What don't you like?

Also, tips on methods would be great. I've seen that some of you (maybe all of you) sketch first by hand your idea, then scan, then trace and enhance digitally.

I realize there may have already been a topic like this, but I couldn't find it. I would be just as happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Thank you all,
-weston

Mr. Weston,
I have tried:
1. Pencil sketch, ink the sketch, erase the pencils, scan, trace in Inkscape or Vector Magic, cleanup.
2. Draw in GIMP, trace, cleanup.
3. Draw in Inkscape
I used GIMP,Inkscape and Vector Magic because they're free. I don't have a tablet. I also have never had a shirt printed, so you may discount this information as much as you like.

braverun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages braverun
no1 wrote:Mr. Weston,
I have tried:
1. Pencil sketch, ink the sketch, erase the pencils, scan, trace in Inkscape or Vector Magic, cleanup.
2. Draw in GIMP, trace, cleanup.
3. Draw in Inkscape
I used GIMP,Inkscape and Vector Magic because they're free. I don't have a tablet. I also have never had a shirt printed, so you may discount this information as much as you like.

Thank you no1.
I will have to give those methods a shot.
Which one did you like the most?

no1

braverun wrote:Thank you no1.

Mr. Weston,

Depends on what i'm trying to draw. Very simple cartoons: Inkscape; it avoids the tracing step, which i have had trouble doing right. For more complicated designs, i prefer the ol' pencil/pen route, because it's hard for me to draw fine detail with a mouse. I really haven't perfected any method, though, so it changes depending on my mood.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
braverun wrote:Thank you no1.

I think if you're not used to GIMP, you'd do yourself a favor by starting out using Inkscape, as that is what your design probably ought to end up in anyway.

If you already draw using something like GIMP or photoshop, then you just need to figure out how to convert those drawings into vector, and for that you can use Vector Magic, or apparently Inkscape (is that right?). Personally, I use the Corel Graphic Suite, which has programs that do each of these things, but I did buy it.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
no1 wrote:Mr. Weston,

Depends on what i'm trying to draw. Very simple cartoons: Inkscape; it avoids the tracing step, which i have had trouble doing right. For more complicated designs, i prefer the ol' pencil/pen route, because it's hard for me to draw fine detail with a mouse. I really haven't perfected any method, though, so it changes depending on my mood.

I thought you used MS Paint.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
Josephus wrote:I think if you're not used to GIMP, you'd do yourself a favor by starting out using Inkscape, as that is what your design probably ought to end up in anyway.

If you already draw using something like GIMP or photoshop, then you just need to figure out how to convert those drawings into vector, and for that you can use Vector Magic, or apparently Inkscape (is that right?). Personally, I use the Corel Graphic Suite, which has programs that do each of these things, but I did buy it.

Yep, vectorize in inkscape, but be careful, sometimes it will take white out or add a miscreant color if you're not careful. I use photoshop 7 and inkscape, only because inkscape is free and photoshop was already on my work computer(shh don't tell them).

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
krapposelli wrote: I thought you used MS Paint.

scoff: he's a designer now.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
Josephus wrote:scoff: he's a designer now.

Oh. Silly me. Is that a step above or below an artiste?

no1

krapposelli wrote: I thought you used MS Paint.

Ms. K,
I would, except the demons who run the Derby have decreed that none of the formats supported by Paint are acceptable for Derby entries.

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
krapposelli wrote:Oh. Silly me. Is that a step above or below an artiste?

each group would assert they are a step above the other

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

Josephus wrote:scoff: he's a designer now.

Dr. J,
I'm not a designer unless I can point to a physical object that I have designed. Right now I'm just a derby-contest-entry-space-taker-upper. You, on the other hand...

no1

jqubed wrote:each group would assert they are a step above the other

Mr. Qubed,
If I ever succeed in the Derby, it will be because I step on the necks of giants.

no1

Update: Now that I have a tablet, I'm trying a new process!

The first and the last were sketched with a tablet in GIMP, imported into Inkscape, tablet-traced with the calligraphy tool, and bitmaps were exported to GIMP for the comp and detail images. The others were drawn in Paint (and a mouse!) and computer-traced in Inkscape.

edit: some of the cross-hatching was done in Inkscape.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Josephus wrote:I think if you're not used to GIMP, you'd do yourself a favor by starting out using Inkscape, as that is what your design probably ought to end up in anyway.

I have heard that using a non photo blue pencil for hand sketches can eliminate the need to erase after inking since the blue won't scan. And Vector Magic is no longer a free to use program, so you're better off learning inkscape for that. I bought my daughter a 6x8 Lapazz tablet which someone in one of these forums had posted a link to. It works great with inkscape, and cost me a whole $36 + shipping (geek.com special). Good luck.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho

I'll give my process, which isn't that different from anyone elses, but what the hey.

1. I do my sketch on a ring bound sketchbook. I get the pencil version as clean as I desire.
2. I layer another (usually printer paper) sheet on top of the image and use a lightbox to trace.
3. I scan the image into photoshop, adjust brightness/contrast for crisp lines, and erase any noise (marks) that may be on the image
4. I run that edited image through LiveTrace in Illustrator to smooth out the lines
5. With the clean, smooth image ready, I go back to Photoshop and do my coloring, resizing, editing, and so on.
6. When my image is ready. I save a copy as a jpeg (but leave psd for later editing if needed
7. I run LiveTrace on the finished image and save as a SVG (provided I'm satisfied with my result)

That's generally my methodology. You could (I've heard) do the same steps just replacing Illustrator and Photoshop with your own vector and pixel based software. I hope this helps.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Mine is similar to gumiho, though I stay exclusively with Illustrator for all but the final comps (which get done in PhotoShop).

Trace on paper (usually blank sheets).
Scan into Paint shop Pro 9 (love that program- use if for ALL of my photochop work)
Place scan into Illustrator. Make layer 50% transparent (or whatever is needed to lighten the trace marks). Lock the layer.
Create new layer. Grab the pen tool (or pencil or brush tool if using the tablet).
Trace each major shape until done.
If I'm happy with it, I then delete the scanned original layer, then dink with it until done.

I'm finding out the hard way that LESS IS MORE when it comes to designs. IE- Cho does more with several lines along the inside of shapes for shading (and gets more votes) than many people do with complex hash-marks and/or large filled spaces.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

1. Wacom CTE440B Mouse, Stylus, Tablet & Pen. Unwieldy, at first.

2. Adobe Illustrator. Always. Period.

no1

killingtime wrote:1. Wacom CTE440B Mouse, Stylus, Tablet & Pen. Unwieldy, at first.

2. Adobe Illustrator. Always. Period.

Ms. Time,
Pardon me, but I and my Internet connection are frequently overwhelmed by the total quantity of entries in the Derby, so I've been unable to examine them in any detail. Could you point out your recent entries? I'd really like to see them.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
no1 wrote:Ms. Time,
Pardon me, but I and my Internet connection are frequently overwhelmed by the total quantity of entries in the Derby, so I've been unable to examine them in any detail. Could you point out your recent entries? I'd really like to see them.

From the regular contest:

one. mainly created in Illustrator and brought to Photoshop for stuff.

bottom screen capture of Illustrator line art.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AttilaTheMom wrote:I have heard that using a non photo blue pencil for hand sketches can eliminate the need to erase after inking since the blue won't scan. And Vector Magic is no longer a free to use program, so you're better off learning inkscape for that. I bought my daughter a 6x8 Lapazz tablet which someone in one of these forums had posted a link to. It works great with inkscape, and cost me a whole $36 + shipping (geek.com special). Good luck.

That's a lie. Blue scans but it works nicely if you're going to use black ink over it and scan the drawing in (that's what I did for Cheese Dreams in the Dreams derby).

PS - I'm not calling you a liar, since you said you heard it. I'm not sure what the purpose of using blue pencil is...for the plane I used a mechanical pencil then went over it with a ballpoint pen.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

no1

superspryte wrote:That's a lie. Blue scans but it works nicely if you're going to use black ink over it and scan the drawing in (that's what I did for Cheese Dreams in the Dreams derby).

PS - I'm not calling you a liar, since you said you heard it. I'm not sure what the purpose of using blue pencil is...for the plane I used a mechanical pencil then went over it with a ballpoint pen.

Some old monochromatic photocopiers couldn't distinguish between light blue and white paper, so you used to be able to write markup/edit notes on paper with a "non photo blue" pencil and it would disappear on a photocopy. I think modern scanners (which ought to be able to pick up color!) don't have this limitation (or is it a feature?), but you can still buy the non photo blue pencils.

Wikipedia even has an article about it.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
AttilaTheMom wrote:I have heard that using a non photo blue pencil for hand sketches can eliminate the need to erase after inking since the blue won't scan. And Vector Magic is no longer a free to use program, so you're better off learning inkscape for that. I bought my daughter a 6x8 Lapazz tablet which someone in one of these forums had posted a link to. It works great with inkscape, and cost me a whole $36 + shipping (geek.com special). Good luck.

Attila, I had been wondering how that lapazz worked out. Thanks for posting.
-Andy

Gumiho

no1 wrote:Some old monochromatic photocopiers couldn't distinguish between light blue and white paper, so you used to be able to write markup/edit notes on paper with a "non photo blue" pencil and it would disappear on a photocopy. I think modern scanners (which ought to be able to pick up color!) don't have this limitation (or is it a feature?), but you can still buy the non photo blue pencils.

Wikipedia even has an article about it.

99.9% of scanners pick up all shades of blue.

no1

Gumiho wrote:99.9% of scanners pick up all shades of blue.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think police scanners picked up any colors at all!

Gumiho

no1 wrote:Are you sure about that? I didn't think police scanners picked up any colors at all!

Everybody's a wise guy. :p