AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Snomando Adventures

Pretty adorable. Not my voting or wearing cup of tea, but it's weird enough and simple enough to be utterly charming (and I love the title).

AdderXYU

mjc613 wrote:I had a totally different impression, but Mr..Mr..Mr.. will have to come back to say which one of us is correct. I thought it meant that in 2134, Sen. Obama would be recognized as following in Jesus's footsteps.

As for Proverbs 12:1, I think you made that stuff up. Chapter 12 has no reference to skin color. If it did, it was written before Jesus was supposed to be around.

Whatever the case, the execution, color limit, vague connection to the theme, and celebrity likeness will make this a rejection. I hope woot doesn't disappoint me and gives us a pithy comment in the reject form.

lilacjive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilacjive
dana11302 wrote:The Latin on this shirt is incorrect. The author used an internet translator. I am a Latin scholar and know that "Diligo est Mortuus" means "To regard highly is dead." Diligo is a first person, singular verb. The true translation for "love is dead" is "Amor est mortuus." Wearing this shirt as is, would be an embarassment to Latin. Please change the translation!

Damn you beat me to it. Except diligo est mortuus is pretty much untranslatable. "to regard highy is dead" would be diligere est mortuus, if you had to write it, and it could also mean "to love is dead." Are you sure you're a latin scholar? I minored in latin in college (five semesters) and I wouldn't call myself a scholar in latin.

Sorry, I have to nitpick.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Josephus wrote:hmm. I don't know if I buy it. The theme is about 'quitters'. not the act of quitting. Of course true love never quits- it wouldn't be 'true' if it quit. I can't see the relation to quitters, myself.

Josephus- I understand what you are saying. But, in the context of how it is written, it is confirming that other forms of love may quit, but 'true love never quits'. By identifying a particular type of love, I think I allowed for the possibility of failure in other forms of love. The point that I was trying to make was that relationships may cease to exist or love based on fraud, lies, material possessions, etc. may quit over time, but true love can endure anything.

Perhaps it is too positive a statement for this derby. If so, that's too bad. At this point, I'm probably the queen of rejected entries, so that's okay.

lilacjive

superspryte wrote:My two latin student friends say text can go in any order as long as it's conjugated properly. Not sure if that's true, but thought I'd say something. Obvsiouly you'd know, but doesn't that mean it's not necessarily incorrect, just awkward?

Oh they're right . Latin can pretty much go in any order for the most part. There are some common scenarios where it does matter, but in this case it doesn't. Usually you will see it at the end of a sentence though.

klswoot

Re: Quitters never finis.....

I like this more each time I see it. I wish it was doing better. Patch - Count me in for a buy when you decide to print it in 60 days.

RobGlenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobGlenn
lilacjive wrote:"to love is dead."

That's pretty close to the sentiment I wanted. Now I'm confused. What should the Latin be?

If it's still fogged (or fairly close) on Tuesday I'll send woot a new art file, but need some sort of consensus.

Again, thanks for the help.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

AdderXYU

RobGlenn wrote:That's pretty close to the sentiment I wanted. Now I'm confused. What should the Latin be?

If it's still fogged (or fairly close) on Tuesday I'll send woot a new art file, but need some sort of consensus.

I know my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I think "Amor" is the best option, if only because it's clearer what is being said... most people would be able to hazard a guess at what "Amor Mortuus Est" (or Est Mortuus) would mean, yet would not be familiar with Diligo, or its root.

Also, I'd suggest emailing Woot sooner than Tuesday, just to ask if such a change would be kosher. That way, if they veto the change, you don't have to worry about what wording to use, or fixing the design to reflect that wording.

leahwaz73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leahwaz73
Re: Hey... Quit That!

This is a cool idea, but I'm not sure I would want hairy hands on me.

gthree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gthree
Re: AMERICA'S FUTURE - 2134AD

I'm really enjoying this thread, because I'm not sure which is more ridiculous: the design, or the stabs at deciphering it. Wow.

binarygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binarygeek

I think part of the problem was I drew it on while using a computer with a very bright screen. On the computer I'm on right now a lot of parts are hard to see... and I also scaled the different views to make it fit together nicely... it does kind of make it hard to tell what it is...

if I have time I'll probably try a resubmit, but I'm leaving for Virginia tomorrow morning... so I doubt I will.

lilacjive

RobGlenn wrote:That's pretty close to the sentiment I wanted. Now I'm confused. What should the Latin be?

amor mortuus est. Simple, and people who don't know latin will still get the idea.

Now, if you want to write some bad stuff, let me know.

dana11302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dana11302
Re: Quit Hoping - Love Is Dead

I agree with the previous comment except to add that "Amor Mortuus Est" and "Amor Est Mortuus" are basically identical in meaning, except that the second one (with the adjective, mortuus, coming second) adds slightly more emphasis on the concept of "dead." In Latin you can use just about any word order that you want, although verb last is most standard. That being said, you can choose between those two statements, realizing that the first is more "proper" and second is more emphatic.

dana11302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dana11302
lilacjive wrote:Damn you beat me to it. Except diligo est mortuus is pretty much untranslatable. "to regard highy is dead" would be diligere est mortuus, if you had to write it, and it could also mean "to love is dead." Are you sure you're a latin scholar? I minored in latin in college (five semesters) and I wouldn't call myself a scholar in latin.

Sorry, I have to nitpick.

Yeah, you're right on that one...the infinitive would be only thing to make it even close to sensical. I was trying to not nitpick on the incorrect statement for the sake of average readers, but rather be accurate on the corrected statement. But thanks for correcting me anyways, I suppose. And calling myself a Latin scholar is simply a way of saying that I have a scholarly love/interest init, not that I believe I should get a medal or anything.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Quit Hoping - Love Is Dead

I think the nuance of the Latin will be lost on most people, and therefore dont' think it greatly changes the shirt. So I would consider printing the shirt (should it win) with the corrected Latin.

I hope everyone realizes altering shirts once they 'won' is an effort on our part to sell the best possible shirt. I'll tire at the inevitable moaning about this in the future.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=9504]When engine

I have to say I have no idea what exactly is going on here. I take it someone has used a similar Username, a number of you were confused and voted for it solely on the name of the submitter.

While I won't encourage users tricking people into thinking they're someone they are not, I think the community is policing itself very nicely here. If there had been an instance of the 'fake' Edgar trying to pose as the 'real' Edgar his/her responses, I think we might have crossed a line. It seems to be a commentary, albeit a little confounding and unclear, on the 'celebrity' state that is cropping up here in the derby.

klswoot

joelterrific wrote:I have to say I have no idea what exactly is going on here. I take it someone has used a similar Username, a number of you were confused and voted for it solely on the name of the submitter.

While I won't encourage users tricking people into thinking they're someone they are not, I think the community is policing itself very nicely here. If there had been an instance of the 'fake' Edgar trying to pose as the 'real' Edgar his/her responses, I think we might have crossed a line. It seems to be a commentary, albeit a little confounding and unclear, on the 'celebrity' state that is cropping up here in the derby.

Joel-
Someone created a username nearly identical to edgarrmcherly but added an extra 'e'. Then, he/she submitted a design that is very similar in style to Edgar's style to draw on the fan base that Edgar has created. Some people immediately saw the design and added a 'vote for Edgar' button to their signature and the design gained support even though it wasn't a true "Edgar" entry. Once Edgar commented on the design, votes were removed.

I thought it was a clever ploy by another artist to make the public realize that they should vote on content and not just a name. But, the only thing that bothers me about allowing the design to stay is that design is clearly sub-par when compared to Edgar's real entries. This may have the effect of casting a shadow on his actual entry. For that reason, I don't like the idea of allowing someone to submit a design that so clearly copies the username and identical style. I say this out of respect for the 'real' Edgar and the 'real' designs.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

rook543

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rook543
gthree wrote:I'm really enjoying this thread, because I'm not sure which is more ridiculous: the design, or the stabs at deciphering it. Wow.

NOnono! Mrmrmr is trying to say that if America rejects christianity, a GIANT DISEMBODIED OBAMA HEAD will float in the air over America HAUNTING US FOREVER.

So we shout quit!

See? It's EASY to understand.... Time to up the Lithium Mrmrm!

binarygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binarygeek
binarygeek wrote:I think part of the problem was I drew it on while using a computer with a very bright screen. On the computer I'm on right now a lot of parts are hard to see... and I also scaled the different views to make it fit together nicely... it does kind of make it hard to tell what it is...

if I have time I'll probably try a resubmit, but I'm leaving for Virginia tomorrow morning... so I doubt I will.

ok, so much for that... here I am an hour later with a redone version:

please vote!

rook543

Re: Why Quit?

www.bancomicsans.com

klswoot

Re: Won't Somebody Think Of The Children!?

Gargrazz - I always love your entries! This is fantastic. Another great blend of off-beat humor and artistic appeal. Great job!

AdderXYU

rook543 wrote:NOnono! Mrmrmr is trying to say that if America rejects christianity, a GIANT DISEMBODIED OBAMA HEAD will float in the air over America HAUNTING US FOREVER.

So we shout quit!

See? It's EASY to understand.... Time to up the Lithium Mrmrm!

HOLY CRAP!!!! That is scary!!!

Looks like I'd better start going back to church, and vote Psychobee.

AdderXYU

klswoot wrote:Gargrazz - I always love your entries! This is fantastic. Another great blend of off-beat humor and artistic appeal. Great job!

I think it's only a matter of time for Garg before he gets a printing.

I normally don't love when you use the sketchy guys (you seem to have two styles as far as that goes), but this is really unabashedly clever. I am rooting for it

klswoot

AdderXYU wrote:I think it's only a matter of time for Garg before he gets a printing.

I normally don't love when you use the sketchy guys (you seem to have two styles as far as that goes), but this is really unabashedly clever. I am rooting for it

Gargazz hasn't had a shirt printed? That surprises me!

edit: edit: WOw! I just went to shirtderbystats. You're right Adder. No Gargrazz win, but lots of close ones:

Badges
Popular: Other Words of the Year
So Close: Consumerism
The Commenter: Other Words of the Year
The Commenter: Invention
Topten: Patterns
Topten: Other Words of the Year
Topten: Dreams

Guess it's time to create a "Vote for Gargrazz" clique too.

rook543

soulfood1966 wrote:that is some funny stuff...they look like stuffed kittens....pure genius

I thought this shirt was hillarious! I definately would have voted for it...unfortunatly it was already rejected when I saw it!

I mean they are stuffed animals! The guy was PRACTICING a trick....and then quit.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Definitely an improvement, though I still like a couple of the prototypes better. The design reminds me of my boyfriend, so I hope some version makes it so I can buy it for him. Gl!

AdderXYU

klswoot wrote:Gargazz hasn't had a shirt printed? That surprises me!

edit: edit: WOw! I just went to shirtderbystats. You're right Adder. No Gargrazz win, but lots of close ones:

Badges
Popular: Other Words of the Year
So Close: Consumerism
The Commenter: Other Words of the Year
The Commenter: Invention
Topten: Patterns
Topten: Other Words of the Year
Topten: Dreams

Guess it's time to create a "Vote for Gargrazz" clique too.

I think it'll happen naturally given time. Edgar has a very "controversial" style, and I think those of us who appreciate him realize he's at a disadvantage for it. Gargrazz, however, has a good blend of cleverness, skill, and marketability. Edgar is an underdog... Gargrazz is a sleeper.

EvilMonkey2006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilMonkey2006
Re: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You

so even if this doesn't win... is there a way we can get it on a tee shirt?

EvilMonkey2006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilMonkey2006
Re: I Just Don't Give a Dam

Awesome. hope it wins. I voted.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
shiftypixel wrote:That's fine. I had a feeling that would happen. I wanted it to look like a white out so there isn't much contrast in the image. It'd be pretty clear on the printed shirt, but it doesn't come across very clearly in the preview images.

Basically, the mountain climber freezes to death before he gets to the top. Wow. It's not nearly as funny when you just say it like that. Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to let me know!

But that just makes him dead.. not a quitter. Nice picture though!

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
jesterg86 wrote:I vote for the layout of this shirt more than for anything else.

I'll take it. Thanks. I just wanted to draw the coin flip and it didn't sit right by itself on the shirt. The text was a throw-away. :^)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
joelterrific wrote:I think the nuance of the Latin will be lost on most people, and therefore dont' think it greatly changes the shirt. So I would consider printing the shirt (should it win) with the corrected Latin.

I hope everyone realizes altering shirts once they 'won' is an effort on our part to sell the best possible shirt. I'll tire at the inevitable moaning about this in the future.

To me, this is exactly the way I'd like you to operate. I just wish you'd gotten rid of that apostrophe in the 70's. ;^)

gargrazz

Elevenbane wrote:Uhm.....I love the design but I REALLY hope that it's not a gradient behind the selection box. That could get it disqualified just as it's doing well.

Gradients are so 4 steps back in the histogram. All the cool kids are using single color halftones.

gargrazz

AdderXYU wrote:

The sketchy guys are a stopgap until my tablet finally shows up and I learn how to use illustrator. I got a tablet for Christmas, but it was PC only. I had to exchange it for a mac-compatible tablet. That should be on its way. In a few derbies my style should expand.

Not to say I won't use the sketchy style any more - but it'll be for more specific purposes. I'm using it too much right now. But it's pretty easy to do quickly, so is handy for those early Friday submissions.

gargrazz

AdderXYU wrote:I think it'll happen naturally given time. Edgar has a very "controversial" style, and I think those of us who appreciate him realize he's at a disadvantage for it. Gargrazz, however, has a good blend of cleverness, skill, and marketability. Edgar is an underdog... Gargrazz is a sleeper.

Thanks for everyone's support. I have come close in the past. I'm ready to win one - but I want it to be for a design people generally like. I'm a big fan of Edgar's stuff and it would be nice to see either one of us get some top 3 love.

I like being a sleeper. I'm the Jack Cust of the Woot derby. Eternally AAAA, up and down in the top 10, never quite making the bigs, maybe one breakout season some day after I dabble in performance enhancing drugs. Poor Jack Cust. Poor Gargrazz. :^)

klswoot

EvilMonkey2006 wrote:Awesome. hope it wins. I voted.

Jaden - I agree. This is one of your best entries. Glad to see it's getting the votes too. Hey..EvilMonkey...we agree on a shirt. I love that!

klswoot

Josephus wrote:To me, this is exactly the way I'd like you to operate. I just wish you'd gotten rid of that apostrophe in the 70's. ;^)

On the 70s shirt, I think some people bought it BECAUSE of the mistake with the apostrophe. It almost had a cult following by the time it was printed in the 'best of' derby.'

klswoot

Beefcoat- Happy to see your first entry doing so well! I love the addition of the background detail. Adds nice depth. Good luck! You're hanging right in there!

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: I CAN'T QUIT WITHOUT U - RESUB

Thanks for everyone that voted previously. If you liked it then, you'll LOVE it now.

While I see the similarities with the famous Threadless shirt (Both were hands full of useless letters, though mine were a bunch of ALMOST full words), this is a full word. well... Minus "Q's" bestfriend...

Thanks for your support!