jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Re: Snomando Adventures

so many resubmits of rejected entries this week
hope you do better this time, although there wasn't much change.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
snarkygal wrote:do you really belive that Adder? As long as shirts sell, do they really care?

In my wildest dreams, I do.

To me, that was the point of doing Editor's Choice shirts... to show that woot cares about the shirts they're selling, not about how much they'll sell or whether the masses like them.

Woot has used thematic elements as limitations before. They have mocked their meme-voting base openly in descriptions. They seem honestly frustrated about some things that win, and I've seen rejections where the reason was "thank god, I can reject for text", or something of a similar idea. Woot wants to make money, sure, but I don't think they want to do so at the risk of "selling out" to any particular group. They've already been putting a halt on text just about every other derby, even though text entries seem to BLOW off the proverbial shelves. I would not be surprised if we start seeing derbies with "no clip-art" limitations.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
mr_mr_mr_mister wrote:I got rejected last time.... not really sure why though.... but I think this one is better!!!

HAPPY SUPER BOWL!!!

any desire to explain the shirt to us? *edge of seat*

RobGlenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobGlenn

Thanks Joel, you're really earning that username. It doesn't look like it will be an issue, out of the fog and hotness as I am and all. If, by some miracle, I enjoy a rally I'll send you a new art file.

deathofdragons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deathofdragons

I love it.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Note to Self : Gotta quit quitting!

deathofdragons wrote:I love it.

Thank you! I had to drop this one from my signature due to limited space. I really liked this one too, but it wasn't getting the votes. I really appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment though. Glad you like it!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Better late than never! I almost gave up on this idea, but I decided not to be a quitter. It's a little rough here, but the final version will be spot on. Vote, vote, vote!

luckydo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckydo

If you wanted the "To love is dead" in Latin i think it would be something like:
"amare mortuus est." Not really sure since I took Latin 3 years ago.

bluchez

joelterrific wrote:I have to say I have no idea what exactly is going on here. I take it someone has used a similar Username, a number of you were confused and voted for it solely on the name of the submitter.

While I won't encourage users tricking people into thinking they're someone they are not, I think the community is policing itself very nicely here. If there had been an instance of the 'fake' Edgar trying to pose as the 'real' Edgar his/her responses, I think we might have crossed a line. It seems to be a commentary, albeit a little confounding and unclear, on the 'celebrity' state that is cropping up here in the derby.

I don't see that this was ok, no matter what it's intended purpose was. Impersonating an artistic style is one thing, impersonating another user's identity is another. If woot does not consider this an offense, I would not be surprised if, in a few weeks, you have entries from Josephous, jimmycho84, geekfactor11, WonderWootur, fabelfire, AdderYXU, JaednKale, AlvinPong, dekonstrukt, tgently, derekfiley, cheezesandwich, snarkygirl, robdglenn, brian818, kilopo, artu1o, kslwoot, clintondavidm, and atillathemom.

I understand there are millions of accounts. I understand confusions will be made. But, blatant, malicious impersonation is completely different. This was not somehow a funny comment on forum drama, or on fan devotion, this was an outright smear campaign that should be considered illegal, much less uncalled for and unethical.

Edit: I'd like to comment that I am new here, haven't seen that many edgar's, cho's, fable's, kls's, josephus's, or any other of the designers that everyone claims has devout followers. I also don't belong to any ultra double secret woot fan clubs, or anything.

rook543

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rook543
Re: IЙ SФVIЭT ЯЦSSIД JФB QЦIT УФЦ!

Thats Yakoff Smifnoff folks! Lets give him a big hand! He'll be here all week! Try the fish and tip your server...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: AMERICA'S FUTURE - 2134AD - (RESUB)

You're an sweetie ookie-nookums.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:You're an sweetie ookie-nookums.

What I really meant WOOT! was you're an i--d--i--o--t.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

celticska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celticska
Re: Quit Hoping - Love Is Dead

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? GET BACK IN THE FOG!

pineconebryce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pineconebryce
waacodemon wrote:i just dont like this theme, but if i had to pick a shirt, i like this one so far

thanks!

pineconebryce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pineconebryce

oh, and i tried to include the whole design in the thumbnail, but its impossible to tell what it is when it's smaller anyway...

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: Depressed Robot

Really nice!

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
triblinator wrote:Just logged in so that I could vote for this. Probably the first shirt I've seen on woot in a month that I'd want to buy. Hope you win!

Thanks! Lets just hope I can get some of those votes back.

archikins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archikins
Re: Quitter Heart

Quitter heart...Resub without the cigarette....

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Zenne wrote:Thank you for the feedback! (: I tried moving it around on the shirt, but it seemed that anything that wasn't centered was somewhat off-balanced. I didn't try re-sizing it, though. I think I need to plan ahead for moves that aren't centered, because I tend towards formal compositions. I will try that next time!

I also experimented with colors, but only dark ones work as elements of the shirt (his hair, belt, monitor screen, paper trey, pencil holder, pens, and holes in the desk ) rely on the background being dark. Brown is my favorite color shirt so far, but it was too light for this, and orange definitely threw it off.

I'm wearing one of the brown shirts and it's fairly dark (at least to the point where you can't really see the black ink of the design I'm wearing). You probably could have used it easily and it wouldn't have detracted from your design in the least. If you'd like to see comparison colors on other colors check out this shirt thread:
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1564025

bluchez

Re: fool

Thanks for the kind comments. I did try out more colorful variations, but this one just looked way better. Thanks again.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
celticska wrote:ARE YOU SERIOUS!? GET BACK IN THE FOG!

totally serious. STAY OUT OF THE FOG!

*giggles* tee-hees!

ashling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashling

I love it. Makes quite a statement. I will buy when at least one if it wins!

mellian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mellian
joelterrific wrote:I have to say I have no idea what exactly is going on here. I take it someone has used a similar Username, a number of you were confused and voted for it solely on the name of the submitter.

While I won't encourage users tricking people into thinking they're someone they are not, I think the community is policing itself very nicely here. If there had been an instance of the 'fake' Edgar trying to pose as the 'real' Edgar his/her responses, I think we might have crossed a line. It seems to be a commentary, albeit a little confounding and unclear, on the 'celebrity' state that is cropping up here in the derby.

Perhaps it's time to make the entries anonymous until voting is complete.

AdderXYU

mellian wrote:Perhaps it's time to make the entries anonymous until voting is complete.

That would be worse in this context. Someone would see the edgar-style design and vote it up, and not realize they were voting for an impostor until the end of the derby.

Let it not be thought that I'm implying people vote for Edgar or anyone just based on name... most of my personal favorite designers don't get my vote every week, or close to. However, his style is distinctive, and easy to pick out, and as such his fans can easily find his designs, to decide if they wish to vote or not. It'd be like if someone did a cheesean kaleidoscope, or a KLS or Riffmaster abstract (as both have their own unique styles of doing so)... we shouldn't award votes to copycats. We should award based on design, yes, but we shouldn't condone fraud.

AdderXYU

Re: I quit killing dragons

Very cool, Miss Laura B

tabacco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabacco
Re: Quit Without Saving

Sweet, a vi joke!

namewasbad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namewasbad

Now go get more votes than your dad!!!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

Nice job Laura! :D GMV

heartluce

heartluce wrote:Nice job Laura! :D GMV

Love the baby dragon.

CartoonPanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CartoonPanda
dessagod wrote:I want to be burried in this shirt.

That would be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it? Sadly though, that wouldn't exactly mark it for frequent use.

justinesplin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinesplin
markzero wrote:Fix the wording, I'll vote for it and buy it.

I agree completely. Fix it and i'm in for it - until then though my vote isn't there.

CartoonPanda

punkfiveo wrote:this is why robots don't have feelings.

Amen to that. If Marvin had had a self destruct button though, we might all be better off.

CartoonPanda

broomcorn wrote:copyright?? What about the "Now that's just overpriced" shirt?! That thing has the exact Starbucks logo on it. Come one woot, thats some BS!

Totally with you on this, that shirt was (a) just as copyright infringing as other shirt that have been SOLD and (b) just to awesome to reject.

CartoonPanda

Re: Depressed Robot

Thank you all for the votes and comments, I know the drawing isn't exactly perfect, but I hope this one at least gets some attention!

stannley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stannley
Re: Brave Sir Robin?

So my first ever try at a submission. This is my interpretation of the brave Sir Robin from Monty Python, to me the definition of a quitter.

heartluce

jbedwar1 wrote:By the way ... that was not directly to KLS ... i just hit reply on the last post given.

jbedwar1 wrote:Again i'd like to restate that i don't vote just because of a name. I vote if i like the shirt. I did somewhat like the imitation piece...so i voted for it ..and was going to support. What i didnt like was that it WAS a fake.. and clearly trying to imitate. once i found that out... i removed my vote for the deception. I believe this is the case for many of the others that removed their vote. Not just cause it wasnt really edgar that submitted it. Because we were lied to so to speak.
Getting sick of the comments about people voting only cause it was by a certain person

Exactly, jbedwar. I find it rather insullting to say that some voted just because it had Edgar's name on it. I don't think it was a horrible design. What bothered me was that someone was impersonating Edgar. For me, that will never be ok for any artist.
As to whether I vote for the artist or the shirt each week (no matter whose it is), I vote for the shirt.
I truly wonder why they chose Edgar (just because lately people have been mentioning his work in a thread and showing support?) There are so many others they could have "targeted" and the results would have been a lot more telling.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:That would be worse in this context. Someone would see the edgar-style design and vote it up, and not realize they were voting for an impostor until the end of the derby.

Let it not be thought that I'm implying people vote for Edgar or anyone just based on name... most of my personal favorite designers don't get my vote every week, or close to. However, his style is distinctive, and easy to pick out, and as such his fans can easily find his designs, to decide if they wish to vote or not. It'd be like if someone did a cheesean kaleidoscope, or a KLS or Riffmaster abstract (as both have their own unique styles of doing so)... we shouldn't award votes to copycats. We should award based on design, yes, but we shouldn't condone fraud.

I don't think I agree with you. What you're saying is that no-one but Picasso should have been able to do cubist designs. Had that been true, we would never have seen Duchamp's Nude descending a staircase, a true masterpiece. While the using of Edgar's name was poor judgment, and grounds for rejection, possibly, drawing like Edgar has to be completely OK, and even encouraged. I wouldn't expect to see great designs from someone trying to copy Edgar, but there could be great designs from someone emulating Edgar. None of the other designers you mentioned invented the 'style' you ascribe to them, and they may have mastered that style, but that certainly shouldn't prevent anyone else from trying to use the same techniques. Oh, and I'm glad you liked Laura's shirt design. :^D

Polarbear2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Polarbear2

I love how you've got the shirt on a hangar... that's awesome. (I also love the design)

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Great illustration, but i feel like the livetrace detracts from it, rather then adds to it

AdderXYU

Josephus wrote:I don't think I agree with you. What you're saying is that no-one but Picasso should have been able to do cubist designs. Had that been true, we would never have seen Duchamp's Nude descending a staircase, a true masterpiece. While the using of Edgar's name was poor judgment, and grounds for rejection, possibly, drawing like Edgar has to be completely OK, and even encouraged. I wouldn't expect to see great designs from someone trying to copy Edgar, but there could be great designs from someone emulating Edgar. None of the other designers you mentioned invented the 'style' you ascribe to them, and they may have mastered that style, but that certainly shouldn't prevent anyone else from trying to use the same techniques. Oh, and I'm glad you liked Laura's shirt design. :^D

Yes, but Duchamp didn't sign his paintings "Palbo Pikasso"