Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Josephus wrote:I don't think I agree with you. What you're saying is that no-one but Picasso should have been able to do cubist designs. Had that been true, we would never have seen Duchamp's Nude descending a staircase, a true masterpiece. While the using of Edgar's name was poor judgment, and grounds for rejection, possibly, drawing like Edgar has to be completely OK, and even encouraged. I wouldn't expect to see great designs from someone trying to copy Edgar, but there could be great designs from someone emulating Edgar. None of the other designers you mentioned invented the 'style' you ascribe to them, and they may have mastered that style, but that certainly shouldn't prevent anyone else from trying to use the same techniques. Oh, and I'm glad you liked Laura's shirt design. :^D

I have to agree with Josephus on this one.. alt hough the use of edgars name was rejection worhy, in my opinion, simply imitating a style shouldn't be. maybe in bad taste, but not rejectable..

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Patchitect wrote:I have to agree with Josephus on this one.. alt hough the use of edgars name was rejection worhy, in my opinion, simply imitating a style shouldn't be. maybe in bad taste, but not rejectable..

thanks. I guess I shouldn't resurrect my name tjosephus, in hopes of getting tgentry's voters, huh? not that I could hope to attempt the tgentry style. :^)

Patchitect

Josephus wrote:thanks. I guess I shouldn't resurrect my name tjosephus, in hopes of getting tgentry's voters, huh? not that I could hope to attempt the tgentry style. :^)

tgentry has style?

Josephus

AdderXYU wrote:Yes, but Duchamp didn't sign his paintings "Palbo Pikasso"

exactly.

josephus wrote:...While the using of Edgar's name was poor judgment, and grounds for rejection, possibly, drawing like Edgar has to be completely OK, and even encouraged...

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but as I read your post, you were also talking about how it wasn't OK for people to draw like klswoot, or cheese, or Riffmaster, all of whom have distinctive styles. I think that true talent will out, and hacks like me trying to make abstract pieces like klswoot or Riffmaster will fail miserably. I can't even picture myself doing a kaleidoscope design like cheese does. I'll repeat, too, that I don't think anyone ought to be trying to trick the voters, like that person apparently was- though it might have just been a poor joke.

awakenedstream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awakenedstream
Re: Voodon't!

very cute

awakenedstream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awakenedstream
Re: Know When to Fold

good deal

Josephus

Patchitect wrote:tgentry has style?

he's got something, doesn't he?

-yeah, he has a style. There was a time when I could pick out his photoshop entries as soon as I saw them. They had 'win' placed in every pixel. He's recently grabbed a hold of the quicksilver that is the voting wootpopulation and I don't see him letting go any time soon. do you?

Patchitect

Josephus wrote:he's got something, doesn't he?

-yeah, he has a style. There was a time when I could pick out his photoshop entries as soon as I saw them. They had 'win' placed in every pixel. He's recently grabbed a hold of the quicksilver that is the voting wootpopulation and I don't see him letting go any time soon. do you?

Yeah 0 unfortunately, maybe woot can run him off like cho in a couple weeks... if you cant beat em.. drive em away!

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Zing!

Actually that's a pretty fair statement, I don't think I have a set style at all. I think I fall under the category of "The Style of No Style".

Josephus

Patchitect wrote:Yeah 0 unfortunately, maybe woot can run him off like cho in a couple weeks... if you cant beat em.. drive em away!

I can't imagine such an occurrence.

edit: and no, I had no clue he was posting before my reply.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Josephus wrote:[/url]

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but as I read your post, you were also talking about how it wasn't OK for people to draw like klswoot, or cheese, or Riffmaster, all of whom have distinctive styles. I think that true talent will out, and hacks like me trying to make abstract pieces like klswoot or Riffmaster will fail miserably. I can't even picture myself doing a kaleidoscope design like cheese does. I'll repeat, too, that I don't think anyone ought to be trying to trick the voters, like that person apparently was- though it might have just been a poor joke.

I was saying in the context of a nameless derby. There will obviously be people with their own influences that run parallel to others... perhaps Riff and KLS both were inspired by the same shirt (though their styles are different enough that I doubt it). Perhaps an Edgar shirt inspired someone to look at things a new way. Perhaps someone might decide to sit down and fight to pump out a design inspired by Cho's output. That's fine and good, but when it gets down to something so similar that it approaches forgery, that's not. People should be able to decide themselves whether the product is quality work or derivative crap, and the only way to do that is to be able to find out who created the design.

I think for the most part, though, we're in agreement. Just a matter of semantics and wording, it seems

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Patchitect wrote:Yeah 0 unfortunately, maybe woot can run him off like cho in a couple weeks... if you cant beat em.. drive em away!

If the comment thread for "Lady Of Spain" didn't cause him to say "screw off" to the woot crowd, I think his recent unbridled success will only bolster his presence here even more. I for one am all for that. Though at this rate, with two recent buys and a very strong temptation for his entry this week, I might need to start a "Tgentry" drawer. Cmon, man, I want to buy other people's shirts too ;)

Josephus

AdderXYU wrote:I was saying in the context of a nameless derby. There will obviously be people with their own influences that run parallel to others... perhaps Riff and KLS both were inspired by the same shirt (though their styles are different enough that I doubt it). Perhaps an Edgar shirt inspired someone to look at things a new way. Perhaps someone might decide to sit down and fight to pump out a design inspired by Cho's output. That's fine and good, but when it gets down to something so similar that it approaches forgery, that's not. People should be able to decide themselves whether the product is quality work or derivative crap, and the only way to do that is to be able to find out who created the design.

I think for the most part, though, we're in agreement. Just a matter of semantics and wording, it seems

yep. Super Bowl is ending. gulp. Giants scored a touchdown.

brennanwc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brennanwc
Re: Quit Skool

nicee

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Re: Check, please

Funny that this was rejected when the detail (240x240) doesn't show a gradient.

thatrobert

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thatrobert
AdderXYU wrote:This is an incredibly intelligent and well-executed design.

Thank you!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Josephus wrote:yep. Super Bowl is ending. gulp. Giants scored a touchdown.

Yay! I'm so happy for Eli Manning. That's so great! I loved seeing how happy Payton was for him too!

Josephus- Your daughter's dragon is fantastic. Is this the same dragon on her wall? She's extremely talented, I hope you encourage her to continue honing her skills.

As for the Edgar entries, I think it's the combination of the username and trying to mimic an Edgar-style naive drawing that I find worrisome, deceptive and unfair. There are numerous ways to do a naive drawing (or an abstract for that matter), but to purposely mimic another artist takes intent. And, I see intent in the fake submission. I'm sure others do create original naive drawings similar in style to Edgar, but it's the final touches that reveal a bit of the artist in the final design. I wouldn't expect to see two that look so similar....at least from a thumbnail. (Even the Picasso and Duchamp don't look similar in anyway other than to say that both share the cubist style.) Sharing a similar style is fine...but when it crosses the line to infringe on content, that's when people should question the intent of the designer/submission/artist, etc.

And Josephus, I'm sending you a PM. Sounds like you share a similar love for cubist artwork.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

Only if he throws a profane, public tantrum directed at woot and then stalks off spewing venom as some of us witnessed in real-time last week. Since I doubt that will ever happen, tgentry will probably be around to share his designs with shirt.woot buyers for as long as he would like. His latest entry looks to be settling into the fog for the long haul, as it should.

klswoot

AdderXYU wrote:If the comment thread for "Lady Of Spain" didn't cause him to say "screw off" to the woot crowd, I think his recent unbridled success will only bolster his presence here even more. I for one am all for that. Though at this rate, with two recent buys and a very strong temptation for his entry this week, I might need to start a "Tgentry" drawer. Cmon, man, I want to buy other people's shirts too ;)

I love my Lady of Spain shirt. It's great. I was sad to see that the forum was so cruel to the design. I didn't even know that Tgentry was the artist of that design until I heard him ask for photos in another shirt thread.

CartoonPanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CartoonPanda
Re: I CAN'T QUIT WITHOUT U - RESUB

Love this design, its one of the really original ones on here!

samzaengle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samzaengle
Re: College Dropout

Oh man, I really want this shirt!

celticska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celticska
brizz wrote:totally serious. STAY OUT OF THE FOG!

*giggles* tee-hees!

But i like this shirt *lip quiver*

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: Math vacuums..I don't get it...I QUIT!!

Nice
This reminds me of every piece of over-due algebra homework I ever had.

SicariiGS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SicariiGS
kylemittskus wrote:Your ass better stay in the fog too and then be the first shirt to appear with that ugly trophy and a one in it. I want this shirt!

There are amazingly strong pathos in this design. I hope it wins, definitely my favorite of the derbie.

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: program to quite

This is basically awesome

tgentry

Staff

klswoot wrote:I love my Lady of Spain shirt. It's great. I was sad to see that the forum was so cruel to the design. I didn't even know that Tgentry was the artist of that design until I heard him ask for photos in another shirt thread.

Thanks klswoot. I'm really kind of proud of that one even though it got some rough comments and only sold 700 or so. My wife wears it all the time and I think it looks great on her. Glad you enjoy it too.

Which thread is this discussion going on in? Sorry to the designer for posting stuff unrelated to your entry.

klswoot

tgentry wrote:Thanks klswoot. I'm really kind of proud of that one even though it got some rough comments and only sold 700 or so. My wife wears it all the time and I think it looks great on her. Glad you enjoy it too.

Gotta show my love for Spain (since half of my family lives there!)
I'm glad that I like you too...makes me enjoy the shirt even more!

edit: Oops...you're right these comments are under the fake Edgar entry. How did that happen? Well, better stop complimenting you!

tgentry

Staff

nycanuck wrote:I have 2 favorite designs this week...can you guess which they are?

Please vote!

Thanks for the support!

rws402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rws402
Re: Unsuccessful Quitters.

I would have liked this one, but that fake entry totally killed my Edgar buzz.

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
rws402 wrote:I would have liked this one, but that fake entry totally killed my Edgar buzz.

i think it killed edgar's buzz too. this is not typical edgar in my opinion. I'm hoping he will dazzle us next week

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
brennanwc wrote:nicee

What's even nicer is i submitted the one he ripped off on Friday!

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz

yes. style he cultivated all on his own without consulting DBH and Threadless for ideas!

seriously dude...what a nasty and petty comment to make. way out of line.

tgentry

Staff

brizz wrote:yes. style he cultivated all on his own without consulting DBH and Threadless for ideas!

seriously dude...what a nasty and petty comment to make. way out of line.

Thanks Brizz. I appreciate the support. I don't think Patchitect meant that in a negative way. I think he meant I don't have A style, as in you can't just look at one of my designs and tell I did it like you can with Cho or Edgar. I like to try to do things in a lot of different styles, from cartoonish to realistic to whatever the idea calls for. That's how I interpreted it anyways.

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cyberpenguin
Re: Quit Hoping - Love Is Dead

I'll vote for it if it's fixed.

tgentry

Staff

tehpwnerer wrote:*giggles*...I love it! I'm kinda surprised it isn't doing better.

Likewise, this is probably the most clever entry of the week. Hopefully it will get it's due come Editor's Choice time.

rook543

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rook543
Re: cold turkey

I think this is a clever solution. It's subtle. When you realize it means 'cold turkey' it immediately makes sense... well done. GMV!

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
klswoot wrote:I know. I liked this one too. I didn't think the cats looked realistic and I like the fact that there was no blood. They could easily pass off as stuffed animals. I don't know if woot reinstates entries, however.

Hey its alright. I understand the rejection. Actually this is the most feedback I have gotten about any of the designs that I had previously posted. In real life all of the kittens come back to life. They live with us in a two bedroom condo.

Thanks for all of your feedback

dana11302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dana11302
cyberpenguin wrote:I'll vote for it if it's fixed.

Its going to be fixed, so vote!

fablefire

quality posts: 18 Private Messages fablefire
joelterrific wrote:I have to say I have no idea what exactly is going on here. I take it someone has used a similar Username, a number of you were confused and voted for it solely on the name of the submitter.

While I won't encourage users tricking people into thinking they're someone they are not, I think the community is policing itself very nicely here. If there had been an instance of the 'fake' Edgar trying to pose as the 'real' Edgar his/her responses, I think we might have crossed a line. It seems to be a commentary, albeit a little confounding and unclear, on the 'celebrity' state that is cropping up here in the derby.

Yaaaaaaaaaay...!

I tell you what dudes. It's nice of you guys to defend Edgar, but you realize that he was in on this don't you? If this plan was okay per Edgar, and he's not worried about the entry not being rejected, why are you guys?

fablefire

quality posts: 18 Private Messages fablefire
Re: I quit killing dragons

Bravo Miss. You're saltin' those slugs. ;)