Re: Brave Sir Robin?

I love that Movie GMV

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
Re: Just a Flesh Wound

I love that Movie GMV

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
stannley wrote:So my first ever try at a submission. This is my interpretation of the brave Sir Robin from Monty Python, to me the definition of a quitter.

This may not be a strong enough link to the theme.

Congrats on your first entry.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
brizz wrote:so in other words, instead of trying to improve and hone your skills and create more original and satisfying work, you say eff it and fall back on tropes of unoriginality in pandering to the masses for the sake of a buck. great. The future of the derbies is not a bright one if this is the attitude here.

I agree the contraceptive pill stuff is sillly, but come on fable....just because walmart has cheaper prices doesn't mean you have to shop there and contribute to the evil empire.

Well, you almost got my intentions. Close enough I guess.

Derby theme: Quitters
So... I quit this week. It was for the sake of the design. I really couldn't have worked it better. No possible way I can think of.

Oh, and in regards to honing skills and original, satisfying work... I spent the time I saved by using clipart on OTHER artwork - the real kind. The other artwork required much more skill, was much more original, and much more satisfying than any of my derby entries have been. "Design" in general isn't always about the best artwork. Sometimes, the symbolism and message are much more important. Illustration is about the artwork. This time, it was about the message. In that sense, I'm glad you're upset. It means you agree with the frowny face in my design. =D

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
fablefire wrote:Bravo Miss. You're saltin' those slugs. ;)

lets keep that salt a pourin'! maybe she'll pass me in one night.
heh. Joel already did that. in error. when I got ready to email him to question what was wrong with it, I had an email already from him titled "I screwed up".

what's worse than a drunken rejected slug?

Voltan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Voltan

Such a sad little robot... :D

fablefire

Josephus wrote:lets keep that salt a pourin'! maybe she'll pass me in one night.
heh. Joel already did that. in error. when I got ready to email him to question what was wrong with it, I had an email already from him titled "I screwed up".

what's worse than a drunken rejected slug?

LAWL! Well, that might have been worth an "I screwed up" email. XD

stannley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stannley
Re: Brave Sir Robin?

I'm a little worried about being a strong enough link myself after looking at rejections, I thought about adding text or a three headed worm but my preference in design is simplicity. This was way harder than I thought though to get the sketch into the required formatting (I think it is right at least). I have a great respect for some of the regular designers I have seen on here now

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
fablefire wrote:Yaaaaaaaaaay...!

I tell you what dudes. It's nice of you guys to defend Edgar, but you realize that he was in on this don't you? If this plan was okay per Edgar, and he's not worried about the entry not being rejected, why are you guys?

he was NOT in on it. he merely tried to diffuse the situation because he's a much nicer guy than most.

brizz

fablefire wrote:Well, you almost got my intentions. Close enough I guess.

Derby theme: Quitters
So... I quit this week. It was for the sake of the design. I really couldn't have worked it better. No possible way I can think of.

Oh, and in regards to honing skills and original, satisfying work... I spent the time I saved by using clipart on OTHER artwork - the real kind. The other artwork required much more skill, was much more original, and much more satisfying than any of my derby entries have been. "Design" in general isn't always about the best artwork. Sometimes, the symbolism and message are much more important. Illustration is about the artwork. This time, it was about the message. In that sense, I'm glad you're upset. It means you agree with the frowny face in my design. =D

I guess the biggest issue i have with the design is that ultimately it doesn't fit the theme at all. Failing to reach your dreams and moving on to plan b is not quitting, it's perseverance. Perhaps laziness if you want to put a negative spin, but the simple message of moving on suggests the exact opposite of "quitting."

fablefire

brizz wrote:he was NOT in on it. he merely tried to diffuse the situation because he's a much nicer guy than most.

So... fake Edgar was lying then? ...and is Edgar really worried about this as much as the previous posters seem to be? Am I missing some drama on the myspace chat board?

brizz

fablefire wrote:So... fake Edgar was lying then? ...and is Edgar really worried about this as much as the previous posters seem to be? Am I missing some drama on the myspace chat board?

no drama...but he said elsewhere that he did not know who did it.

and i don't mean to single you out though fable - it's reflective of the overall failure of this theme - it's terrible, and nearly every single design is so forced that they fail as t-shirts. I don't want to have to explain my shirt...and every single design in the top ten would require as much. even tgentry's - which is a wonderful illustration - just doesn't work as a shirt. Woot really dropped the ball here, and it's even more troubling if we allow that they did so on purpose to make a jab at a particular designer that has made them a LOT of money.

clintOmatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clintOmatic
rook543 wrote:I think the black spots and 'drip' effects make it hard to get at first glance. I do very much like the bold graphic style though...

My only other issue is weather I would wear a shirt with a stubbed-out cigarette on it. Course I'm a non-smoker so I'm biased there...

Very nicely drawn though...

Thanks for the comments. I knew that this prolly wouldn't do to well, but personally it fits the topic. This is also my very first time in the derby, so we'll see what happens next week.

jjchampion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjchampion

Love it.
But the ones I love never win.
Frown.

staindedkorneww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages staindedkorneww
zekecatz wrote:I work for a printer and it would be totally awesome to show up wearing this. Clever! Sorry I can't vote for it now.

BAHHHH BRILLIANT!!!!

Thats as on topic as it gets, Broadcasting Major and I love it!

lukekim91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukekim91
Re: Won't Somebody Think Of The Children!?

looks awesome, but if there were no transparency checkers in the background, it would be bar-wearable and street worthy.

i think the "save-don't save box" is enough, the checkers in the background sort of ruin it as shirt worthy for me.

voted!

just a lil man that loves to draw and look at people's drawings...

lukekim91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukekim91
Re: Quitters never finis.....

first thing i thought when i saw this shirt: oh man, he tried copying that sick dbh shirt.

just a lil man that loves to draw and look at people's drawings...

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Dalamara wrote:I think the phrase would be a lot catchier if it said...

"Quitter" "Winner"

Non-quitter is just too long.

In case no one else noticed, there is no way to get through the maze without the bulldozer. The start leads to a dead end.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Keep Reaching!

The chameleon goes to great lengths for its next meal, never quitting along the way. Please vote and leave your comments here. Thanks. There are only six colors in the design, some of the greens appear off because of compression.

Mishra2324

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mishra2324

Fix the latin and I'll buy!

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus

cute little guys : ) gmv

Amoxaphobic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amoxaphobic

***edit***

CartoonPanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CartoonPanda
jjchampion wrote:Love it.
But the ones I love never win.
Frown.

Hey! C'mon, don't think that way, otherwise you've condemned me to the dusty archives of the shirts that never made it! Then the world will not know the story of this sad little android

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Fast work artulo. I had no idea this was for the quitting derby. I thought you were doing it for a daily or for another project. Looks great on the shirt!

Amoxaphobic

rook543 wrote:NOnono! Mrmrmr is trying to say that if America rejects christianity, a GIANT DISEMBODIED OBAMA HEAD will float in the air over America HAUNTING US FOREVER.

So we shout quit!

See? It's EASY to understand.... Time to up the Lithium Mrmrm!

That is freaking hilarious!
"Big brother is watching you..."

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
klswoot wrote:Jaden - I agree. This is one of your best entries. Glad to see it's getting the votes too. Hey..EvilMonkey...we agree on a shirt. I love that!

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the votes!

kind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kind

pretty kewl shirt. reminds me a lot about There Will Be Blood

AlvinPing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlvinPing
AdderXYU wrote:I would not be surprised if we start seeing derbies with "no clip-art" limitations.

The first "no text" limitation was set into place after I won for Coupons. I honestly expected a "no unoriginal art" limitation for this week...

...what would you guys like banned next?

• Alvin

SicariiGS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SicariiGS
AdderXYU wrote:That would be worse in this context. Someone would see the edgar-style design and vote it up, and not realize they were voting for an impostor until the end of the derby.

Let it not be thought that I'm implying people vote for Edgar or anyone just based on name... most of my personal favorite designers don't get my vote every week, or close to. However, his style is distinctive, and easy to pick out, and as such his fans can easily find his designs, to decide if they wish to vote or not. It'd be like if someone did a cheesean kaleidoscope, or a KLS or Riffmaster abstract (as both have their own unique styles of doing so)... we shouldn't award votes to copycats. We should award based on design, yes, but we shouldn't condone fraud.

Actually this is exactly what you are implying. It's fine for people to be fans of particular designers, in fact I'm quite a fan of Cho's and Tgenty, but voting for the artist rather than the design will ultimately hurt the community. The fact that this shirt, which does a poor job of imitating his style, was able to garner so many people to vote for it simply because of the name is saddening.

brizz

it's cool, but quite a stretch for the theme...should have saved it.

I have a feeling we're going to see a whole bunch of rejections tomorrow.

Amoxaphobic

That's pretty funny. vacuums for him.

fablefire

brizz wrote:I guess the biggest issue i have with the design is that ultimately it doesn't fit the theme at all. Failing to reach your dreams and moving on to plan b is not quitting, it's perseverance. Perhaps laziness if you want to put a negative spin, but the simple message of moving on suggests the exact opposite of "quitting."

If Plan A is to be a rock star and your girlfriend gets pregnant, you quit Plan A and go to Plan B, and get a real job. That was even built into the theme description: "No-hope, go-nowhere rock bands roar about how they're in it for life, when what they mean is, they're in it until they get their girlfriends pregnant and have to get real jobs." Perseverance is pursuing a goal no matter what the hardship. That would be getting the girlfriend pregnant, but still trying to go for the rock star Plan A dream anyway. Quitting isn't always negative. Sometimes, the smart thing to do is to quit Plan A. It's not necessarily the fun thing to do though.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SicariiGS wrote:Actually this is exactly what you are implying. It's fine for people to be fans of particular designers, in fact I'm quite a fan of Cho's and Tgenty, but voting for the artist rather than the design will ultimately hurt the community. The fact that this shirt, which does a poor job of imitating his style, was able to garner so many people to vote for it simply because of the name is saddening.

I think it's hard to judge whether it's name or style in a case like this. People like Edgar's style, so they vote for him. It doesn't mean they vote blindly for everything he does (though I suppose some people might, I don't know everyone on woot), but it does mean they'll be more apt to vote for an Edgar design because they like the style. As a fan of the style, the voter becomes a fan of the designer, and understandably gets upset when another designer attempts to pull the wool over their eyes by impersonating the designer they like. It's like Carlos Mencia stealing jokes. The jokes themselves are no more or less funny, but it's all rather loathsome knowing someone else made them first, and Mencia is just aping their humor for his own gain.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:If Plan A is to be a rock star and your girlfriend gets pregnant, you quit Plan A and go to Plan B, and get a real job. That was even built into the theme description: "No-hope, go-nowhere rock bands roar about how they're in it for life, when what they mean is, they're in it until they get their girlfriends pregnant and have to get real jobs." Perseverance is pursuing a goal no matter what the hardship. That would be getting the girlfriend pregnant, but still trying to go for the rock star Plan A dream anyway. Quitting isn't always negative. Sometimes, the smart thing to do is to quit Plan A. It's not necessarily the fun thing to do though.

Plan A and B aside, it's safe to say that quitting plan 9 is always the smart thing to do. Bela Lugosi's just going to die midway through.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
jasontehman wrote:wow...thats ridiculously infatuated. but still technically there is no end to the game, it just glitches making it impossible to continue.

No worries. I just thought you'd be interested. I saw this on TV some time ago as they promoted the new version for xbox -- people talking as straight-faced as ever about the amazing feat it was.... Billy was there in person, straight out of the 70's.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

redghia69 wrote:No worries. I just thought you'd be interested. I saw this on TV some time ago as they promoted the new version for xbox -- people talking as straight-faced as ever about the amazing feat it was.... Billy was there in person, straight out of the 70's.

Ha, I just got done watching this movie. So awesome.

fablefire

brizz wrote:no drama...but he said elsewhere that he did not know who did it.

and i don't mean to single you out though fable - it's reflective of the overall failure of this theme - it's terrible, and nearly every single design is so forced that they fail as t-shirts. I don't want to have to explain my shirt...and every single design in the top ten would require as much. even tgentry's - which is a wonderful illustration - just doesn't work as a shirt. Woot really dropped the ball here, and it's even more troubling if we allow that they did so on purpose to make a jab at a particular designer that has made them a LOT of money.

If these designs fail as t-shirts, then I would wager the majority of Woot's shirt designs fail as t-shirts.
Ah, everything seems to be "elsewhere" this week. This forum "community" is getting to be too much to follow of late. I can't see these being any more horrible than the usual batch of shirts. The top ten seem relevantly on-topic to me.

Know When to Fold - Poker is largely about knowing when to quit, or fold.
El Prospector - The prospector quit his search for gold right before finding it. Bad for him that he didn't persevere, but good for him that he could curb his appetite for wealth and quit before it consumed him.
Kthxbai!!!1 - PC joke about God quitting Earth as a program or window.
Quit Hoping - Love is dead, give up. Giving up is about quitting.
Voodon't - Eludes me a bit, except for the string doll saying "quit it".
Soviet Russia - Typical Soviet Russia entry, yet still on theme of quitting.
Quittles - Lawl... if quitting was a candy, this would be it.
Kick the Habit - About quitting smoking.
I Wish I Knew How - Parody on a popular quotation about wanting to quit someone.
I Just Don't Give - The beaver has quit trying to make the damn... I mean dam.
Pretty on topic.

As far as designs that scream "I belong on a shirt"... Know When to Fold, Quit Hoping, Voodon't, and Quittles all scream t-shirt to me. I could totally see those at Metro, Fuego, or Hot Topic.

SicariiGS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SicariiGS
AdderXYU wrote:I think it's hard to judge whether it's name or style in a case like this. People like Edgar's style, so they vote for him. It doesn't mean they vote blindly for everything he does (though I suppose some people might, I don't know everyone on woot), but it does mean they'll be more apt to vote for an Edgar design because they like the style. As a fan of the style, the voter becomes a fan of the designer, and understandably gets upset when another designer attempts to pull the wool over their eyes by impersonating the designer they like. It's like Carlos Mencia stealing jokes. The jokes themselves are no more or less funny, but it's all rather loathsome knowing someone else made them first, and Mencia is just aping their humor for his own gain.

It's natural that people might be upset that someone was trying to impersonate an artist. But if they are upset that they were deceived into voting than the reality is they are only deceiving themselves.

AnnaHaecherl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnnaHaecherl
Re: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You

Every shirt should have a guinea pig on it!