+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's French for "trick the eye", and it's the name for a hyper-realistic style of painting wherein the artist plays with perspective, shadow, and texture to make you think a painting is something else. When it comes to t-shirts, the best-known example is the venerable tuxedo shirt. We've also seen shirts adorned with bare breasts and  fake knit designs. Now it's your turn: your shirt should fool us into believing something about itself or its wearer that isn't true, whether it's that the person's been shot, that they've got a tattoo, or that the shirt is made of bricks. Don't just show us a picture of something - turn the shirt into the thing itself.

But as usual, submit nothing that's been done before: no tuxedo shirts, no illusory neckties, no gaudy faux-sweaters, no bare breasts. And we're going to allow text, but only in the service of making your design more realistic (as in nametags or tattoos, for instance). We're not looking for any kinds of slogan shirts, and we will ruthlessly eliminate them.

Finally, we still reserve the right to reject anything we deem afoul of our rules. You don't like our decisions, go start your own t-shirt competition and you can reject any designs we submit, OK?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

This week's Derby Cyberpub. If we're not here, check over there. All are welcome.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Ah...this could be a hard one!!! Good luck to the current derby foggers! See you all tomorrow at noon!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

How to make a shirt that looks like it won the derby already... hmmmmmmm.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Wow...this is going to produce some fantastic work. I'm excited already!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
artulo wrote:Wow...this is going to produce some fantastic work. I'm excited already!

Wow... this could produce some fantastically awful work from me! I'm excited already!

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

I'm hoping the muse visits me tonight...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Cool! I've made a design like this already- now to see if it's any good. ;^)

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Wow... this could produce some fantastically awful work from me! I'm excited already!

I love doing hyperrealistic designs using 6 or less colors and no halftones!!!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

This one may trip me up... I'm going to print off the description and mull it over at lunch.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

...wait... are we still restricted to the same print area as normal? and to ONLY one side of the shirt?

If so, then I just realized I have to kill about half my ideas...

How close can we get to printing around the neckline of the shirt?

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1

ahhh yes ... this will truly bring out some interesting and creative designs.

SkekTek

keyser520 wrote:...wait... are we still restricted to the same print area as normal? and to ONLY one side of the shirt?

If so, then I just realized I have to kill about half my ideas...

How close can we get to printing around the neckline of the shirt?

Exactly. Ok, raise your hands if you thought about putting wings on the BACK of the shirt just now? Yeah, me too... bat wings. Woohoo!

We're going to see a lot of terminator ripoffs for sure...

no1

SkekTek wrote:I love doing hyperrealistic designs using 6 or less colors and no halftones!!!

I call "LiveTracing lips!" Hee hee!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

....wow! O_O

Edit:

O HAI!

This should be fun.. now that I think about it =3

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Sweet! I have a design like this already too. Bonus!

Failoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Failoan

Hmm im not really sure about this. Can some one post an example of this kind of style?

*edit* nvm I get it now.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Exactly. Ok, raise your hands if you thought about putting wings on the BACK of the shirt just now? Yeah, me too... bat wings. Woohoo!

We're going to see a lot of terminator ripoffs for sure...

I was going to do dragon wings...kind of like (but not looking like because I'm too selfish to share) the tattoo I want... T_T

I wonder how many wing designs there will be... No fair.

EDIT: However, this will give me the opportunity to show off my tattoo shirt in the Cyberpub later in the derby.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Hmm... I have a few ideas, but this is really going to challenge my undeveloped talents. This one's for the pros.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

superspryte wrote:I was going to do dragon wings...kind of like (but not looking like because I'm too selfish to share) the tattoo I want... T_T

I wonder how many wing designs there will be... No fair.

Or Alien's bursting through chests....

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
no1 wrote:Wow... this could produce some fantastically awful work from me! I'm excited already!

Hey, there's plenty of room for *everyone* to submit awful artwork.

no1

tgentry wrote:Or Alien's bursting through chests....

There goes my "Alien pucker" idea.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

More:

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

Oh goodie! A theme I can almost assuredly not come up with anything for!

SkekTek

tgentry wrote:Or Alien's bursting through chests....

If someone can pull it off with 6 colors, Necronomicon-type art would be really cool.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
SkekTek wrote:I love doing hyperrealistic designs using 6 or less colors and no halftones!!!

I hear you on that one. Theses restrictions are going to make it tough, even for someone who is familiar with this kind of thing.

I've done some work as a 3d texture painter and yet I'm not sure I can pull this off.

yugidean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yugidean

I cannot see how this derby will yield good designs, but I've been surprised in the past. I can't make anything even HALF realistic, let alone HYPER-realistic, so I'm totally out this week.

Beano before, and there'll be no gas!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

SkekTek wrote:If someone can pull it off with 6 colors, Necronomicon-type art would be really cool.

But would it be a copyright violation?

AdderXYU

I call dibs on sticking Mona on a shirt this week. I will call it "Holy Crap It Looks Like Mona Lisa Is On My Shirt, That Must Be Some Sort of Trompe L'Oeil"

JadenKale

no1 wrote:I call "LiveTracing lips!" Hee hee!

Wait, doesn't kenny automatically get that? L O L

JadenKale

This one caught my eye *giggles* tee-hees!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
JadenKale wrote:
This one caught my eye *giggles* tee-hees!

Very cute.. this is going to be tough on just 6 colors

PiffJr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PiffJr

These derbies are getting harder and harder.. I hope others are more creative, I haven't bought a shirt in a while..

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

"I woke up in this bathtub full of ice..."

JadenKale

Josephus wrote:
"I woke up in this bathtub full of ice..."

Wow... nice job. will they let us back print though???

JadenKale

Patchitect wrote:Very cute.. this is going to be tough on just 6 colors

yeah that's what I was thinking... although I've picked a shirt color for one already: asphalt

cycletronic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cycletronic

After so many nebulous topics, all I can say is thank you woot for giving us a good theme description!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Wow, those printing restrictions are really going to screw up a lot of potential ideas. This should be interesting...

Here are some Trompe L'Oeil shirt designs that have already been done, might be good for inspiration:

These ideas have already been done, so if those ideas are too similar to yours, you run the risk of being rejected. And that's just a smattering of printed shirts from Threadless- people all over the internet have done shirts along these lines, so I think a thorough googling is in order before anyone starts working on their ideas.

I think this is the key part of the description: "your shirt should fool us into believing something about itself or its wearer that isn't true." So I guess all the concepts have to be shirt based, and we can't just show a design in which tromp l'oeil is used in an illustration (like when the roadrunner paints a tunnel and the coyote runs into it, for instance). Hmmm, this is a little limiting for me, I might be out this week...

AdderXYU

JadenKale wrote:Wow... nice job. will they let us back print though???

There hasn't been a back-print woot yet, but they're inconsistent about their backprint rejection, so the jury is still out