2005vette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
wooterer wrote:Is there something I can do to make it better?

I dont think anyone would really wear a shirt like that.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
wooterer wrote:Because I'm too afraid to wear real wife beater:

Dear god WHY?

brizz

wooterer wrote:Is there something I can do to make it better?

yes. you can pull it and erase it from your hard drive and make believe you never ever thought of it.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

Well, I resubmitted it as "wife beater wannabe". I hope you guys like this new name better.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Josephus wrote:Cool! I've made a design like this already- now to see if it's any good. ;^)

I voted for your design MissLauraB because it has character and is good.I showed it to my mom Silver Lady and she was quite taken with it and voted for it. As I said before stay focused you have a genuine talent.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
wooterer wrote:Well, I resubmitted it as "wife beater wannabe". I hope you guys like this new name better.

It doesn't even really fit the theme. It just looks like a wife-beater printed on the front of a shirt.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Zenne wrote:The shading is your own in the sense that you physically did it. Beyond that, it is a pretty clear cut copy of the original photograph, a derivative work, and you are trying to make a few hundred dollars off of it. Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work#Derivative_Work_Right
Or this, if you don't like wikipedia:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/106.html

):

Excellent point, Zenne. I still think it's different enough, BUT if it gets rejected, I'll be bummed but no big deal, it isn't bound to win at this point. AND I'll know better next time. I'll do a sketch using the image as a reference.

VOTE!

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
ansharp wrote:It doesn't even really fit the theme. It just looks like a wife-beater printed on the front of a shirt.

I think if it's realistic enough, it does fit Trompe L'Oeil theme. Doesn't it?

brizz

please tell me you aren't serious and that this is a parody of the hoodie monstrosity.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

brizz wrote:yes. you can pull it and erase it from your hard drive and make believe you never ever thought of it.

Come on, is that really called for? You don't have to like it but that's not necessary.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:Come on, is that really called for? You don't have to like it but that's not necessary.

Sprite, you can go through Wooterer's legacy on shirtderbystats. He is quite possibly the worst designer woot has to offer. And that includes Heather Pickens.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Sprite, you can go through Wooterer's legacy on shirtderbystats. He is quite possibly the worst designer woot has to offer. And that includes Heather Pickens.

So? Silent protests do work sometimes.

Oh yah, and Addur, my name's not that hard to spell. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU

superspryte wrote:So? Silent protests do work sometimes.

Oh yah, and Addur, my name's not that hard to spell. ^_~

I was thirsty. My spelling was elsewhere ;)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:I was thirsty. My spelling was elsewhere ;)

I am not soda. You may not drink me. :-P

To continue this in a ridiculous and off-topic manor, please click here.

AdderXYU

superspryte wrote:I am not soda. You may not drink me. :-P

But, but you're super!

As for "silent protests," those don't work. I'm still posting designs, after all.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
bfassburg wrote:I have an idea to give away to a more skilled person with time on their hands. I could never pull this off, but I would love a shirt that shows my insides to be old and rusty gears locked together for eternity. The "insides showing" idea has been done, but I feel like this would be more meaningful than many of those entries. not quite as dark as a black-hole heart, but kinda like that feeling. Take it if you like it, ignore it if you don't.

Ja, I thought about doing that so you could see that some of the insides were under construction too. Little creatures inside, trying to repair it and such... Out of order signs... etc etc etc... Like a miniature steampunk city in the human body... The design doesn't live up to it's potential inside a 16x20 restriction though. Not worth wasting the artwork.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
klswoot wrote:I agree with you on that point. Like I said in an earlier post, the illusion of 3D could have been achieved by adding a shadow under the post it. It would have made the post its look like they were really attached to the shirt. For me, the flatness of the design makes the papers look like they are simply floating in front of the shirt and are not attached. But, Shan did curl the edges and overlap a few of them and in that way, you can tell that they are supposed to be on the shirt as a sort of cheat sheet to the wearer. I can't imagine that it would be rejected for being off-theme. Still seems on theme to me.

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand. If you needed a cheat sheet for an exam, no professor I know would allow this. Might as well bring the book. I seriously don't get it. What is it a cheat sheet for?

brizz

AdderXYU wrote:Sprite, you can go through Wooterer's legacy on shirtderbystats. He is quite possibly the worst designer woot has to offer. And that includes Heather Pickens.

exactly. and one of the most prolific as well...which is most troubling. one of the prime offenders of cluttering the derbies with crap text shirts.

brizz

heartluce wrote:Sorry, I'm just trying to understand. If you needed a cheat sheet for an exam, no professor I know would allow this. Might as well bring the book. I seriously don't get it. What is it a cheat sheet for?

*giggles* tee-hees!

if someone in med school needs sticky notes over their lungs to know where they are, they have FAR more problems than the exam in front of them! lmfao

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

going for a cake I baked iced and took the picture type thing. vending machine.

work in progress.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Wouldn't this look nice printed? I think so.

artulo

jimmycho84 is NOT the (in)famous James Cho. Be wary.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
brizz wrote:*giggles* tee-hees!

if someone in med school needs sticky notes over their lungs to know where they are, they have FAR more problems than the exam in front of them! lmfao

heartluce wrote:Sorry, I'm just trying to understand. If you needed a cheat sheet for an exam, no professor I know would allow this. Might as well bring the book. I seriously don't get it. What is it a cheat sheet for?

Seriously? It's a joke, it's not really meant to be worn to an exam. I would hope a med student wouldn't need this for real !? I've had a couple comments from med students and nursing students and they said they liked it.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

I wanna make it past 200 votes Let's get it GOIN!

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT

Over the weekend, looking at the designs and whatnot, I can truly say that this is the first Derby where there doesn't seem to be one shirt in the Top 10 that I would actually want or wear.

Just looking at the Top 4 :

ANATOMY TEST : If I was a med student I might find the shirt funny, but I'm not, so to me it's just a green shirt with a bunch of post its on it.

POCKET FISHMAN : It's a cool looking design, but I don't think I'd want to wear it. I say that because I don't know where I'd wear it. I can't wear that to a bar, I wouldn't wear that out with my girlfriend, and if I wore it to work I'd get weird stares.

COULDN'T AFFORD A HOODIE : I own hoodies, if I want the hoodie look I'll wear one of them.

SOUL GLOW : The popularity of this design baffles me. I guess people are reading into it as showing the "inner glow that people have", but to me it's nothing more that a candle in a red box. I'd never actually wear that, mainly because I wouldn't want to answer the inevitable questions that would go along with it, questions like, "Why are you wearing a shirt with a candle in a red box?".

Then just scanning through the rest of the shirts :

Why would I want to own a shirt that has coffee stains all over it. Normally when I have a shirt that has coffee stains on it, I either throw it out or wear it when I'm painting something.

The Pez dispenser design is really cool, and if I saw it in stores around Halloween time I'd consider snagging it, but in February I don't think I'd buy it. Same goes for the Muppet Shawl.

The only shirt of the bunch that I would actually buy and regularly wear is Peace. That's a simple design that you can wear without attracting attention from everyone. Sadly, it has no chance of placing in the top 3.

I'm not insulting the artists, as they are much more skilled in designing detailed graphics than I am, I'm just saying that this Derby seems to be littered with unwearable designs.

I like some ugly shirts now and again, heck I bought that "Don't Feed ..." shirt earlier this week, however that seems wearable to me. These shirts, not so much.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

It could be a really lame professor's attempt to help kids get their anatomy straight. But it has other uses- I can see elementary and preschool teachers wearing this to help kids with basic anatomy...

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Man, I can't believe I'm still stuck behind that Magnum shirt. Good or not, it grosses me out, and I have to see it every time I check my votes (which is often 'cause I'm neurotic). Also, do that many people really want the illusion of having that much chest hair? I really hope not. (No offense to the designer; it was obviously done well since it's able to gross me out so much.) But come on!

<Done venting>

SkekTek

KenSPT wrote:POCKET FISHMAN : It's a cool looking design, but I don't think I'd want to wear it. I say that because I don't know where I'd wear it. I can't wear that to a bar, I wouldn't wear that out with my girlfriend, and if I wore it to work I'd get weird stares.

Thanks for liking the overall look of the design! However, you must not have little kids. Mine think it's hilarious. So I guess it has a different target audience than yourself, which is fine to me. But regardless, it's nice to see criticism that is honest, and not simply calling designs stupid, rotten, or that the designers are imbeciles.

I agree that there are a lot of designs I wouldn't wear, but that's the nature of a public contest. C'est la vie...

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus

Cryface. I am not realy sure what happened. It looks like a combo of overclicking and lag. So I am re-subbing. If you had previous votes for Big Head Parade, please re-click.

Place a vote, make your big head a float.

SkekTek

ruesifus wrote:Cryface. I am not realy sure what happened. It looks like a combo of overclicking and lag. So I am re-subbing. If you had previous votes for Big Head Parade, please re-click.

Place a vote, make your big head a float.

Ok, I admit, I laughed out loud when I saw it. +1.

bfassburg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg

Aren't all these shirts that make your head something it isn't sort of off-topic? I certainly like them and have voted for several of them because I like the shirt regardless of the topic. But for the sake of trying to understand what the topic is supposed to be, I have to point out that the turn your head into Lego Man shirt is not really all that different from the the cut-outs at Disney World where you can take a picture as Aladdin or whatever. I guess it does "fool us into believing something about the wearer that isn't true", but only a little.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

HotIceCream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotIceCream
KenSPT wrote:Over the weekend, looking at the designs and whatnot, I can truly say that this is the first Derby where there doesn't seem to be one shirt in the Top 10 that I would actually want or wear.

really? I have the opposite feeling. there are so many shirts, way beyond the fog, that I would wear. some notables:

kick me/kiss me-- by phreekonature. the wearer is not only self-aware that they're being made fun of, they are cool enough to play the game.

tick-tock-- by discodancing. who knew that at the heart of every digital being out there lies the beat of an analog? nice old-schol touch.

laundry day-- by kma2-- a tshirt disguised as a thsirt? clever. brilliant.

big head parade-- perfect shirt to wear.. particular if you've been accused of being full of hot air. if not, it's still very funny.

evil heart -- by 2005vette. i just really like it.

good luck to everyone! no matter who wins, i see a few purchases in my future.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
superspryte wrote:KLS and I were talking about having an aquatic derby. Along with the stingray we saw in here a couple (?) weeks ago, a design she made, my Atlantis, we really need one. ^_^

Yes! A derby for marine life and aquatics would be BEAUTIFUL!!!

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
SkekTek wrote:Thanks for liking the overall look of the design! However, you must not have little kids. Mine think it's hilarious. So I guess it has a different target audience than yourself, which is fine to me. But regardless, it's nice to see criticism that is honest, and not simply calling designs stupid, rotten, or that the designers are imbeciles.

I agree that there are a lot of designs I wouldn't wear, but that's the nature of a public contest. C'est la vie...

Well, I'm glad you didn't take the criticism as an insult, too many people do that and I definitely didn't want to come off that way.

You're right, I don't have kids, and I can see the point that this shirt isn't aimed at a 25 year old unmarried guy like myself.

Not every Derby is going to appeal to everyone, this one just isn't my cup of tea ... it happens.

soothedbyrainfall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soothedbyrainfall

It looks to me like Pocket Fishman, Anatomy Test and Couldn't Afford a Hoodie have the top three spots pretty sewn up with Edgar and I and (possibly Darthv8r) jockeying for 4th. The top three appear to have a pretty good lead so unless there is some huge voting surge for any of the other designs in the top ten, that's pretty much how I see things ending up.

soothedbyrainfall.net

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
yeeter wrote:Hey, does anybody know why Derek hasn't resubmitted the Light Gun shirt?

I liked it very much, and I think it was doing really well too.

My wife and I spent all weekend moving to a new apartment, and I haven't had internet for a while.

I just saw that my shirt has been rejected, and honestly, I'm somewhat dissapointed that woot has consistently chosen my fogged designs to clarify their derby rules (often going against 20+ weeks of precedent) Oh well.

I won't re-submit this week. I've had my fill of whiny comments for a while and I'm not particularly eager to satiate them by reposting.

Example:"...not sure why you think the rules don't apply to you when it comes to these things, but you frequently skirt the rules and it's pretty unfair to everyone else who abides by them."

I mean dang, brotha. What exactly is causing all the latent hostility toward yours truly? Did you not get enough hugs as a child? Did I somehow manage to slight you in some way (real or imagined) at some point in our communal derby careers? Calm down son, it's just a friendly competition.

Additionally it's really difficult to regain momentum after a rejection (even an early one) Just look at Fablefire's 'Neverland', or my 'Voodon't' from last week. If you're in the fog and you get rejected, you're pretty much out of the running for the week.

Check out my blog:Here!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
shan24 wrote:Thanks to kls, WonderWooter, 2005vette, (and anyone else I may be leaving out--sorry!) for taking the high road. I appreciate that some or all of you wouldn't buy this design but thanks for defending its theme-ness. I esp. liked yeeter's quote above, I wish more people would live by that rule when posting here

My pleasure Shan. You submit quality work week after week and have had designs 'flirt' with the fog in the past. You are definitely deserving of a win. From an earlier post, you were honestly surprised at the voters reaction to your design. It made it to the fog at an incredible rate. People obviously like it. It's not a design that everyone can wear (like me, for instance), but I can't see bashing it for that reason. It is clearly liked by a large audience.

So, I wish 'good luck' to all the foggers and the nearby contenders. It's the voters who are choosing the shirts for the fog. Bashing the designs and designers publicly isn't really going to have an impact on the overall vote. The voters in large part don't read these posts. I'd rather comment positively and with helpful critiques that might be useful in future designs.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
soothedbyrainfall wrote:It looks to me like Pocket Fishman, Anatomy Test and Couldn't Afford a Hoodie have the top three spots pretty sewn up with Edgar and I and (possibly Darthv8r) jockeying for 4th. The top three appear to have a pretty good lead so unless there is some huge voting surge for any of the other designs in the top ten, that's pretty much how I see things ending up.

I don't know, soothed...according to shirtderbystats you're awfully close behind Anatomy Test. I am hoping we are both in the top 3 on Thursday at noon...but three more days is a long time, anything could happen. It's hard to watch!

artulo

soothedbyrainfall wrote:It looks to me like Pocket Fishman, Anatomy Test and Couldn't Afford a Hoodie have the top three spots pretty sewn up with Edgar and I and (possibly Darthv8r) jockeying for 4th. The top three appear to have a pretty good lead so unless there is some huge voting surge for any of the other designs in the top ten, that's pretty much how I see things ending up.

Good luck to you and Edgar to get up there. Both are great designs! I think you may be right about the lineup this week, though. Strange things are afoot. A place in the top ten for me is a victory in my mind for sure. Incentive for next time.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

there's no way hoodie is getting printed... other shirts will pick up steam im sure... im actually scared that people are gonna come after me with pitch forks if that shirt gets printed! did you see the comments? yikes!

Please check it out