AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ruesifus wrote:This has worked for me so far:
1) Do not insist that your date read your Transformer/furry slash fiction on first date.
2) Do not hang framed restraining orders in living room.
3)No belly zerberts
4) Do not plead that they purchase electronic poker sets so they can place votes for my shirts.
5)

I find the easiest way to avoid rejection is to follow all the rules, and try to be as original as possible. This is true both for derbies and real life. The difference being, the derby lays out the rules for you. Dates don't even tell you the game.

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
brizz wrote:I don't believe you....you lied to us. 100% hand drawn with a mouse my ass. I'm so disappointed in this...especially since I was encouraged by your "progress" as a designer....pretty damned seedy.

I can not believe it! You ran out and constructed the drawing in sand just to discredit the submission! Your folly was being so proud to pose next to it!

AdderXYU

ruesifus wrote:I can not believe it! You ran out and constructed the drawing in sand just to discredit the submission! Your folly was being so proud to pose next to it!

You meddling kids!!!

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
ruesifus wrote:This has worked for me so far:
1) Do not insist that your date read your Transformer/furry slash fiction on first date.
2) Do not hang framed restraining orders in living room.
3)No belly zerberts
4) Do not plead that they purchase electronic poker sets so they can place votes for my shirts.
5)

Lawl! XD

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
AdderXYU wrote:I find the easiest way to avoid rejection is to follow all the rules, and try to be as original as possible. This is true both for derbies and real life. The difference being, the derby lays out the rules for you. Dates don't even tell you the game.

I dunno. Some good dates have allowed significant modification of the rules, pending a convincing argument :P

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter

HA! Ruesifus, your item # 1 reminds me of the Geek Heirarchy.

PS I'm going to go post something very funny over in the other thread.

VOTE!

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
brizz wrote:I don't believe you....you lied to us. 100% hand drawn with a mouse my ass. I'm so disappointed in this...especially since I was encouraged by your "progress" as a designer....pretty damned seedy.

Dude, I'm sorry, you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
KenSPT wrote:Dude, I'm sorry, you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously.

It's actually in the rules:
Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the three designs that get the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:

* We determine that the design contains elements created and/or owned by someone other than the designer or Woot, or that would otherwise infringe on the intellectual property rights of third parties;

If you find the original page with the sandcastle.. there's copyright plastered all over it. It's a blatant violation of the rules.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

AdderXYU

SkekTek wrote:I dunno. Some good dates have allowed significant modification of the rules, pending a convincing argument :P

Well, it's well known that those who are willing to abide by the rules are more apt to be allowed a little bending.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
KenSPT wrote:Dude, I'm sorry, you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously.

i've become friends with a few people here, and considered spryte one of them....i'm sorry for being disappointed in being lied to.

TheSuspense

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSuspense

I'm surprised no one has done some kind of alien coming out of the chest cavity...

bfassburg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg
TheSuspense wrote:I'm surprised no one has done some kind of alien coming out of the chest cavity...

It's been done. Its a total recall thing. I guess not in the style of Alien, but it'll suffice.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Not this again.. dont you have somethign else to do with your time? its not that close enough to be a trace, and is obviously significantly altered to indicate that its an inspiration not a direct rip..

yeeter

Hey! Speaking of all this drama, the rectorator did not come through today. Weird, huh? I was expecting Superspryte's prediction of my rejection to come true today (then this drama happened and I'm not going near it).

VOTE!

eyeslikesugar

Patchitect wrote:Not this again.. dont you have somethign else to do with your time? its not that close enough to be a trace, and is obviously significantly altered to indicate that its an inspiration not a direct rip..

Again, I'd like to point out the rocks... even a skilled artist who has studied for years and years could not get rocks that exact by hand or mouse.

eyeslikesugar

yeeter wrote:Hey! Speaking of all this drama, the rectorator did not come through today. Weird, huh? I was expecting Superspryte's prediction of my rejection to come true today (then this drama happened and I'm not going near it).

Oh yeah! I forgot she harped on you for not using your own photo.

yeeter

eyeslikesugar wrote:Oh yeah! I forgot she harped on you for not using your own photo.

Nod. Not going near it.

VOTE!

brizz

Patchitect wrote:Not this again.. dont you have somethign else to do with your time? its not that close enough to be a trace, and is obviously significantly altered to indicate that its an inspiration not a direct rip..

i didn't make the gif's - someone else did and posted them....i didn't look for images either, because I believed her when she said she hand drew it.

and if you can't see how blatantly livetraced it is, you aren't looking very hard. Not to mention the fact that she's been giving jimiyo, yeeter, and others crap for using photos - when that's exactly what she did!

eyeslikesugar

yeeter wrote:Nod. Not going near it.

Understood. I just forgot about it. Continue to lurk =3

yeeter

eyeslikesugar wrote:Understood. I just forgot about it. Continue to lurk =3

But what about the rejectorator? I depend on 2 things in this life. 1. The sun will rise tomorrow and B. The rejectorator will clean (glean?) the chaff on Monday...

VOTE!

Patchitect

brizz wrote:i didn't make the gif's - someone else did and posted them....i didn't look for images either, because I believed her when she said she hand drew it.

and if you can't see how blatantly livetraced it is, you aren't looking very hard. Not to mention the fact that she's been giving jimiyo, yeeter, and others crap for using photos - when that's exactly what she did!

Well.. considering that i saw a version of it in mid process i can vouch for the fact that it wasnt live traced.. it was painstakingly composed by hand and by mouse.. yeah - its very close to the image, butthat just means shes got a good eye for detail, something that professional designers are actually TRAINED to do... its call skill... and talent.. look it up sometime.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Patchitect wrote:Well.. considering that i saw a version of it in mid process i can vouch for the fact that it wasnt live traced.. it was painstakingly composed by hand and by mouse.. yeah - its very close to the image, butthat just means shes got a good eye for detail, something that professional designers are actually TRAINED to do... its call skill... and talent.. look it up sometime.

I do not believe that it could have been done by hand and scanned in, without actually tracing. The vertical scale, horizontal scale, and rotation are spot on to the original photograph. Even if it was hand traced and scanned in, it would make very little sense for the rotation of the image to be perfectly aligned.

Patchitect

eyeslikesugar wrote:Again, I'd like to point out the rocks... even a skilled artist who has studied for years and years could not get rocks that exact by hand or mouse.

This was brought up before wiht my hamster.. and someone said somethign important then.. its not about what you copy, or trace or reference.. its about knowing WHAT to reference to get the desired results.. take that image.. run a live trace on it in illustrator, and show me the results.. they should be identical..
then i'll believe it.

eyeslikesugar

Patchitect wrote:This was brought up before wiht my hamster.. and someone said somethign important then.. its not about what you copy, or trace or reference.. its about knowing WHAT to reference to get the desired results.. take that image.. run a live trace on it in illustrator, and show me the results.. they should be identical..
then i'll believe it.

clicky

brizz

Patchitect wrote:Well.. considering that i saw a version of it in mid process i can vouch for the fact that it wasnt live traced.. it was painstakingly composed by hand and by mouse.. yeah - its very close to the image, butthat just means shes got a good eye for detail, something that professional designers are actually TRAINED to do... its call skill... and talent.. look it up sometime.

I'm well aware of what skill and talent are. and what they look like when put to use in the real world. Apparently, you aren't.

eyeslikesugar

I asked her to post a scan of the drawing about 30 mins ago. She chose not to. That might have eliminated all doubt. But, she's chosen not to; if it exists.

Patchitect

In other news.. Someone requested a set of both wings on the back, so i sketched this up fast.. still rough, so no comments about being amateurish please.. i iknow i'm a hack!

Had to redo the angel wing to work with the devil wing.. the one from the submission is the wrong proportions...

Its too late for me to submit, butmight consider putting it on my site if anyones intrested..

bfassburg

Patchitect wrote:Its too late for me to submit, butmight consider putting it on my site if anyones intrested..

That is pretty sweet. I think it would fly a little leaned over to the left though.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
eyeslikesugar wrote:It's actually in the rules:
Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the three designs that get the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:

* We determine that the design contains elements created and/or owned by someone other than the designer or Woot, or that would otherwise infringe on the intellectual property rights of third parties;

If you find the original page with the sandcastle.. there's copyright plastered all over it. It's a blatant violation of the rules.

What amazes me is that people actually seeked out the page with the sandcastle, that was the crux of my comment.

Don't people have better things to do with their time than search the web for images that may or may not be improperly used in shirt derby designs?

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

I need about 200 more votes. Please help!

Patchitect

KenSPT wrote:What amazes me is that people actually seeked out the page with the sandcastle, that was the crux of my comment.

Don't people have better things to do with their time than search the web for images that may or may not be improperly used in shirt derby designs?

No.. some folks dont have anythign better to do...

but ultimatly, woot will descide ifit crossed the line.. and in the mean time, someones giggling thier ass off that folks are at each others throats..

Patchitect

bfassburg wrote:That is pretty sweet. I think it would fly a little leaned over to the left though.

I think i should title it " Moulting"

bfassburg

Patchitect wrote:I think i should title it " Moulting"

That is pretty good.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
KenSPT wrote:What amazes me is that people actually seeked out the page with the sandcastle, that was the crux of my comment.

Eh, I've found similar stuff like this before (the gears sub, which looked familiar the first time I saw it) and it really isn't time consuming- the one I found was the first result on google images for the first set of search terms I tried. I pretty much feel like if I know something is a rip, it's my job to report it (I don't want Woot printing copyrighted stuff, and I don't want other entries ranking lower than unoriginal work).

If your stuff looks livetraced, people will probably look. Maybe even if it doesn't look livetraced and it's scoring well. Maybe even if they just plain don't like you.

The best way to protect yourself is to draw things by hand and make sure you aren't relying too heavily on a source image. It seems like common enough sense to me, so I'm more amazed that people don't bother to do that than I am that people sometimes look for similar images.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal

Other people who submit here have gone through 20-30 pages of Google images just to get other entries rejected. I don't think anybody is trying to get Spryte's entry rejected, just questioning her statement that it was hand drawn. Also, to highlight the fact that she is always calling other people out for using photos that they don't own, yet she is doing the same thing.

Patchitect

geekfactor12 wrote:The best way to protect yourself is to draw things by hand and make sure you aren't relying too heavily on a source image. It seems like common enough sense to me, so I'm more amazed that people don't bother to do that than I am that people sometimes look for similar images.

The best way to avoid it is to perform badly so no one cares.

Like these...

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
Patchitect wrote:The best way to avoid it is to perform badly so no one cares.

Like these...

devil came out awesome dude..

Please check it out

Bryan818

oh no i hope i haven't lost my shine as public enemy number one... darn u spryte.

oh and what ever happened to the person who did the operation shirt... now that was just blatant plagerism

Please check it out

HotIceCream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotIceCream

laundry day with only 11 votes? aw, come on! i need a laundry day tshirt when i wash my, uh, laundry day tshirt.

Bryan818

brizz wrote:I'm well aware of what skill and talent are. and what they look like when put to use in the real world. Apparently, you aren't.

brizz you are a bitter bitter little man, i dunno if your goin through some things right now or what but relax a little... spryte im gonna give the benifit of the doubt... i understand both sides (and some may say cause ive been on both sides but whatever i know who i am what ive done and what i can do) but we are innocent until proven guilty not the other way around.
altho none of us have to justify ourselves to the rest... it wouldnt even matter, you have passed your judgement already, and ive learned that, thats not goin to change. nor does it really matter in the long run.
we should all continue to design learn from our mistakes n eachother enjoy and keep moving foward...

Please check it out