JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

ok just after I uploaded my revised piece, woot kinda went wonky... so here's my new version of my battle armor piece:

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Bryan818 wrote:brizz you are a bitter bitter little man, i dunno if your goin through some things right now or what but relax a little... spryte im gonna give the benifit of the doubt... i understand both sides (and some may say cause ive been on both sides but whatever i know who i am what ive done and what i can do) but we are innocent until proven guilty not the other way around.
altho none of us have to justify ourselves to the rest... it wouldnt even matter, you have passed your judgement already, and ive learned that, thats not goin to change. nor does it really matter in the long run.
we should all continue to design learn from our mistakes n eachother enjoy and keep moving foward...



You are correct, you don't have to justify anything to the community - it's up to you whether you will be honest or not. And i'm not bitter bryan, I happen to really like shirt.woot and what it offers. And for a while the derbies were generating some great shirt designs by some talented people. But the derbies have been in a bit of a freefall quality wise in my opinion, and that of many others. I'm not alone in feeling this way, i just say it more often i guess. For whatever reason, people seem determined to run off the most talented contributers, whether it's out of jealousy, feeling threatened, whatever...I don't know. You know your hoodie shirt is a joke. And you are fine with profiting from that if it's not rejected. But don't pretend it's a great design....it's not. I just wish there was some limitation that would encourage the better designers to participate more, and prevent the beginners from randomly throwing out the same crap every week.

So what I am isn't bitter, but frustrated that the allure of $ has inspired hundreds of people who have no business designing anything filling the derbies with crap. the good ones too often get lost in that sea of mediocrity. I've tried a few entries, but know that i'm not artistically inclined. I can work my way around photoshop, and could churn out some lame entries every week if i wanted - but you don't want to see that, I don't want to see that, etc. what's the point? if you want to practice, great. but every little thing you come up with doesn't have to be submitted. That's all i've ever said.

And again, i'll reiterate that I NEVER attack the person...that would be out of line and unfair. i'm sure most everyone are mighty fine people. As for spryte's atlantis, I think it's pretty irrefutable that she livetraced the sandcastle and made some changes to it. you don't have to agree with that. No matter what, however, it's irrefutable that she used the picture to create it - and it was not "100% hand drawn in photoshop with a mouse." She lied. period. And I think that vacuums.

But i'm done with it....it's her thing....she knows what happened, and I don't really care if it gets rejected or not. that wasn't the issue for me - it was the dishonesty.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
JadenKale wrote:ok just after I uploaded my revised piece, woot kinda went wonky...



so it's YOUR fault! :grumble:


TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
brizz wrote:You are correct, you don't have to justify anything to the community - it's up to you whether you will be honest or not. And i'm not bitter bryan, I happen to really like shirt.woot and what it offers. And for a while the derbies were generating some great shirt designs by some talented people. But the derbies have been in a bit of a freefall quality wise in my opinion, and that of many others. I'm not alone in feeling this way, i just say it more often i guess. For whatever reason, people seem determined to run off the most talented contributers, whether it's out of jealousy, feeling threatened, whatever...I don't know. You know your hoodie shirt is a joke. And you are fine with profiting from that if it's not rejected. But don't pretend it's a great design....it's not. I just wish there was some limitation that would encourage the better designers to participate more, and prevent the beginners from randomly throwing out the same crap every week.

So what I am isn't bitter, but frustrated that the allure of $ has inspired hundreds of people who have no business designing anything filling the derbies with crap. the good ones too often get lost in that sea of mediocrity. I've tried a few entries, but know that i'm not artistically inclined. I can work my way around photoshop, and could churn out some lame entries every week if i wanted - but you don't want to see that, I don't want to see that, etc. what's the point? if you want to practice, great. but every little thing you come up with doesn't have to be submitted. That's all i've ever said.

And again, i'll reiterate that I NEVER attack the person...that would be out of line and unfair. i'm sure most everyone are mighty fine people. As for spryte's atlantis, I think it's pretty irrefutable that she livetraced the sandcastle and made some changes to it. you don't have to agree with that. No matter what, however, it's irrefutable that she used the picture to create it - and it was not "100% hand drawn in photoshop with a mouse." She lied. period. And I think that vacuums.

But i'm done with it....it's her thing....she knows what happened, and I don't really care if it gets rejected or not. that wasn't the issue for me - it was the dishonesty.


I'm gonna say three words : very simple and look good when put together in this way. ready?
Comimg to America.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

bfassburg


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg
superspryte wrote:Mine is very strange this derby. It doesn't get *any* votes during the day, maybe one every few hours. Then I go to bed and wake up and the vote fairy crapped on it. Saturday night it got half again as many votes overnight as it got in the previous 24+ hours. It's weird, exciting, nerve-wracking and slightly disturbing all at the same time.



I could use some vote fairy issues. votes on days-old-designs seems to have dropped off to... none...at least in my case.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
TAYLORT5 wrote:I'm gonna say three words : very simple and look good when put together in this way. ready?
Comimg to America.

eddie murphy or neil diamond?

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

I haven't been posting much here (although I did just post about my revised piece) but I thought a late night post might spark some interest.


SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
bfassburg wrote:Today has been very quiet and there have been no rejections to speak of, so it feels like the quiet before the storm. I'm sure I'll get home from work and find that 86% of all entries have been rejected and Joel will have a massive case of carpel tunnel syndrome.



Yeah, where is Joel? Hope they're not working him too hard...'cause he's got a lot of rejecting to do soon! O.O

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

Since my post was deleted, I'm guessing because of the quote with the circumvented filters, I'll put it back. If this is really not something I should do, give me some probation time, I'll survive:

In response to fablefire using profanity to insult my animated gif:

please don't circumvent filters when insulting something I put work into.

And, just to set the record straight, I *did* make the gif. I *did* search google for images for "sand castle art", since that's what it looked like to me, and found that one on the 1st page, in around 5 minutes. I did not spend these hours that you guys think it takes.

I was upset that all of the people on here are so passive aggressive with their compliments, with just a bit of a jab added to every one. Saying "I like it, but it will get rejected" is one thing, but to go back and edit your post, that "yeah, you know, since it's "NOT YOUR PHOTO" is overboard. There are certain individuals that do not hide their feelings, like brizz and snarky (who will not mind me saying their names), and they take the insulting responses back in stride. There are others, like...(wait, they WILL MIND me saying their names) that think that they are somehow less obvious, in their jabs, by prefacing it with a compliment, and I think that occasionally, they should be called out on it as well.

This was not done to say that the image was not original enough to be legal. This was not done to say that a lot of work wasn't put into the image. This was done to say, for the love of god, don't call someone else out for using a photo as "inspiration" when you do it as well.

JadenKale


quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

blu... let it go... the other reason they delete it is so it doesn't keep going on and on.

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
bluchez wrote:Since my post was deleted, I'm guessing because of the quote with the circumvented filters, I'll put it back. If this is really not something I should do, give me some probation time, I'll survive:

In response to fablefire using profanity to insult my animated gif:

please don't circumvent filters when insulting something I put work into.

And, just to set the record straight, I *did* make the gif. I *did* search google for images for "sand castle art", since that's what it looked like to me, and found that one on the 1st page, in around 5 minutes. I did not spend these hours that you guys think it takes.

I was upset that all of the people on here are so passive aggressive with their compliments, with just a bit of a jab added to every one. Saying "I like it, but it will get rejected" is one thing, but to go back and edit your post, that "yeah, you know, since it's "NOT YOUR PHOTO" is overboard. There are certain individuals that do not hide their feelings, like brizz and snarky (who will not mind me saying their names), and they take the insulting responses back in stride. There are others, like...(wait, they WILL MIND me saying their names) that think that they are somehow less obvious, in their jabs, by prefacing it with a compliment, and I think that occasionally, they should be called out on it as well.

This was not done to say that the image was not original enough to be legal. This was not done to say that a lot of work wasn't put into the image. This was done to say, for the love of god, don't call someone else out for using a photo as "inspiration" when you do it as well.


Three words :
COMING TO AMERICA.
VOTE FOR SOUL GLO SUNG TO THE TUNE OF GREATEST LOVE OF ALL by SEXUAL CHOCOLATE


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
JadenKale wrote:blu... let it go... the other reason they delete it is so it doesn't keep going on and on.



Sorry, but I actually DO believe I have a right to defend myself when attacks are thrown my direction, but thanks for your advice.

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen

fable says she appreciates you beating the dead horse when she's been put on probation and no longer has the right to defend herself

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
bluchez wrote:Sorry, but I actually DO believe I have a right to defend myself when attacks are thrown my direction, but thanks for your advice.


defending your self is a one post type of thing...when its removed(by WOOT) It's time to move on. get it? . they are the real gods here.


EDIT: posting on woot is a
privilege , like driving. not a right.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

halfbee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfbee

Sooooo.
I only have one account and I don't know anyone else on this site. I made this in Photoshop and I don't have anything that does Livetrace.

{Awkward silence here}

How about directing your criticism to this:

Re: peace

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen
halfbee wrote:Sooooo.
I only have one account and I don't know anyone else on this site. I made this in Photoshop and I don't have anything that does Livetrace.

{Awkward silence here}

How about directing your criticism to this:

Re: peace



fable says that the button looks okay... the lightsource is a little screwy though. It would look more realistic if there were creases in the shirt to give the illusion that the button is actually pinned on

ruesifus


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
halfbee wrote:Sooooo.
I only have one account and I don't know anyone else on this site. I made this in Photoshop and I don't have anything that does Livetrace.

{Awkward silence here}

How about directing your criticism to this:

Re: peace



I'd vote for it if I drove a mercedes.

ruesifus


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
ruesifus wrote:I'd vote for it if I drove a mercedes.



fable says it looks like a pigeon stepped on a Mento....







...no fable didn't say that, and I only said it because I am jealous of your votes.

halfbee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfbee
ruesifus wrote:fable says it looks like a pigeon stepped on a Mento....
...no fable didn't say that, and I only said it because I am jealous of your votes.



Hee hee - a friend of mine said it looked like an airplane and wanted me to make another with a bomber on it.

Um...um...not a friend on here...

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen
ruesifus wrote:fable says it looks like a pigeon stepped on a Mento....







...no fable didn't say that, and I only said it because I am jealous of your votes.


Fable says you're a mento. I agree. :D

halfbee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfbee
soyokazefuhen wrote:fable says that the button looks okay... the lightsource is a little screwy though. It would look more realistic if there were creases in the shirt to give the illusion that the button is actually pinned on



I agree with the creases. I just got tired of messing with it and wasn't sure if it was worth it. Make it a little better vs. submit on Saturday.

What would fable have done?

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen
halfbee wrote:I agree with the creases. I just got tired of messing with it and wasn't sure if it was worth it. Make it a little better vs. submit on Saturday.

What would fable have done?



fable would take a button and actually pin it on a shirt to check out lighting. aside from that, just add some creases that make it look like it was pinned to the shirt. same green as the shadow. Early submit was more useful than the creases

Soyokaze would have put an actual pigeon on a mento

halfbee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfbee
soyokazefuhen wrote:fable would take a button and actually pin it on a shirt to check out lighting. aside from that, just add some creases that make it look like it was pinned to the shirt. same green as the shadow. Early submit was more useful than the creases

Soyokaze would have put an actual pigeon on a mento



A button? You think I have flair just laying around here? ;)

With the pigeon, there is a small risk that you would end up with more on the shirt than a squashed mento.

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen
halfbee wrote:A button? You think I have flair just laying around here? ;)

With the pigeon, there is a small risk that you would end up with more on the shirt than a squashed mento.



Soyokaze prefers abstract art.
It would be a collaboration between you and the pigeon :P

halfbee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfbee
soyokazefuhen wrote: Early submit was more useful than the creases




Would it have been counterproductive to submit early and then keep working for a later submit? I guess I could have tried that, but I don't know about splitting votes. When is that an issue?
Also, I know the lighting looks strange, but it's pretty close to what I saw - trying not to use gradients and whatnot.

Well, so many questions and not enough experience . . . thanks for your help, and get some sleep! What are you doing up at this hour?

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
soyokazefuhen wrote:fable would take a button and actually pin it on a shirt to check out lighting. aside from that, just add some creases that make it look like it was pinned to the shirt. same green as the shadow. Early submit was more useful than the creases

Soyokaze would have put an actual pigeon on a mento


after 6 post I finally got that one .good one. *giggles* tee-hees!


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

=== Edited by TAYLORT5 @ 12 Feb 2008 4:32 AM [GMT -6] ===<br/><br/><br/>


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

soyokazefuhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen
halfbee wrote:Would it have been counterproductive to submit early and then keep working for a later submit? I guess I could have tried that, but I don't know about splitting votes. When is that an issue?
Also, I know the lighting looks strange, but it's pretty close to what I saw - trying not to use gradients and whatnot.

Well, so many questions and not enough experience . . . thanks for your help, and get some sleep! What are you doing up at this hour?



Fable has gone to bed. Soyokaze suffers from mild insomnia and probably will be awake for another couple hours, and will suffer from textual word salad. At this point, soyokaze thinks that doing a resub may do more harm than good, since its so late. Any resub will hurt, since all your votes up to that point will be "lost".

More to the point, what are you still doing up? :P

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
brizz wrote:You are correct, you don't have to justify anything to the community - it's up to you whether you will be honest or not. And i'm not bitter bryan, I happen to really like shirt.woot and what it offers. And for a while the derbies were generating some great shirt designs by some talented people. But the derbies have been in a bit of a freefall quality wise in my opinion, and that of many others. I'm not alone in feeling this way, i just say it more often i guess. For whatever reason, people seem determined to run off the most talented contributers, whether it's out of jealousy, feeling threatened, whatever...I don't know. You know your hoodie shirt is a joke. And you are fine with profiting from that if it's not rejected. But don't pretend it's a great design....it's not. I just wish there was some limitation that would encourage the better designers to participate more, and prevent the beginners from randomly throwing out the same crap every week.

So what I am isn't bitter, but frustrated that the allure of $ has inspired hundreds of people who have no business designing anything filling the derbies with crap. the good ones too often get lost in that sea of mediocrity. I've tried a few entries, but know that i'm not artistically inclined. I can work my way around photoshop, and could churn out some lame entries every week if i wanted - but you don't want to see that, I don't want to see that, etc. what's the point? if you want to practice, great. but every little thing you come up with doesn't have to be submitted. That's all i've ever said.

And again, i'll reiterate that I NEVER attack the person...that would be out of line and unfair. i'm sure most everyone are mighty fine people. As for spryte's atlantis, I think it's pretty irrefutable that she livetraced the sandcastle and made some changes to it. you don't have to agree with that. No matter what, however, it's irrefutable that she used the picture to create it - and it was not "100% hand drawn in photoshop with a mouse." She lied. period. And I think that vacuums.

But i'm done with it....it's her thing....she knows what happened, and I don't really care if it gets rejected or not. that wasn't the issue for me - it was the dishonesty.




If such "talented designers" can't come up with a design that stands out in such a vast "sea of lousy designs", are they really that talented?

The goal of the Derby is to get votes, to come up with a design that people like. It shouldn't matter if that's a design that someone who's never designed a shirt before did up in 5 minutes, or if it's a design from a "talented designer"that he or she spent hours sweating over.

At the end of the day the people vote, everyone has a right to throw their stuff out there, and it's up to the visitors to decide what they do and don't like.

If you don't like the quality of the Derby entries, then don't vote for them and don't buy them. It's a simple concept Brizz, but instead you opt to come across as a bitter, pretentious, crybaby.

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

well... well?
I know it's too many colors. woot needs to work on the colors thing, they gotta have enough money now.......I bought 10 shirts myself.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

krapposelli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
KenSPT wrote:If such "talented designers" can't come up with a design that stands out in such a vast "sea of lousy designs", are they really that talented?

The goal of the Derby is to get votes, to come up with a design that people like. It shouldn't matter if that's a design that someone who's never designed a shirt before did up in 5 minutes, or if it's a design from a "talented designer"that he or she spent hours sweating over.

At the end of the day the people vote, everyone has a right to throw their stuff out there, and it's up to the visitors to decide what they do and don't like.

If you don't like the quality of the Derby entries, then don't vote for them and don't buy them. It's a simple concept Brizz, but instead you opt to come across as a bitter, pretentious, crybaby.



Amen.

All this bickering makes me want to figure out how to submit crappy entries myself. I seriously lack artistic talent, so I'm sure I could keep all the haters' panties in a bunch.

Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

You all frustrate me. D: All of you. Arrrrr. -shakes fist-

yeeter


quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Zenne wrote:You all frustrate me. D: All of you. Arrrrr. -shakes fist-



In general? or something specific? and by all, do you mean ALL? bummer.

VOTE!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Having followed the derby from its inception, I'd like to give a little perspective for some who seem to have forgotten the beginning of the derby. the derby started as a place where people without design experience could submit their ideas for shirt designs, get them voted on, and woot would print the most popular shirt. The "what is woot" page still describes it that way. The "talented designers" who are alleged to have been run off probably ought to have been submitting their designs directly to woot all along.

What seems to have happened instead is that the derby has run off all of the people with good ideas without design experience, thanks to all of the experienced designers who have moved in for what they perceive as easy money. The poor hacks like me in general have little chance every week, and most get no notice at all.

On the other hand, the voters do have their own opinions. They vote more for what they see as good t-shirts, t-shirts that they would wear, not great designs.

Just look at klswoot's "designers at work" entry. It is a really cool design- and how clever that ladder of pins is! But apparently the voters recognize that on their chests, no-one will really be able to figure out what they're wearing. many of the really 'excellent designs' are just not that great for a shirt, and the voters know it.

There is widespread hatred for Bryan's hoodie design- but it will make a neat looking shirt, and that is why it continues to get votes. and that is why it should get printed if it wins. It will be a neat shirt to wear, though I will be continually disappointed as I try to put my hands in that pocket in front and push them instead down into my pants. those are some cold hands!

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Josephus wrote:Having followed the derby from its inception, I'd like to give a little perspective for some who seem to have forgotten the beginning of the derby. the derby started as a place where people without design experience could submit their ideas for shirt designs, get them voted on, and woot would print the most popular shirt. The "what is woot" page still describes it that way. The "talented designers" who are alleged to have been run off probably ought to have been submitting their designs directly to woot all along.

What seems to have happened instead is that the derby has run off all of the people with good ideas without design experience, thanks to all of the experienced designers who have moved in for what they perceive as easy money. The poor hacks like me in general have little chance every week, and most get no notice at all.

On the other hand, the voters do have their own opinions. They vote more for what they see as good t-shirts, t-shirts that they would wear, not great designs.

Just look at klswoot's "designers at work" entry. It is a really cool design- and how clever that ladder of pins is! But apparently the voters recognize that on their chests, no-one will really be able to figure out what they're wearing. many of the really 'excellent designs' are just not that great for a shirt, and the voters know it.

There is widespread hatred for Bryan's hoodie design- but it will make a neat looking shirt, and that is why it continues to get votes. and that is why it should get printed if it wins. It will be a neat shirt to wear, though I will be continually disappointed as I try to put my hands in that pocket in front and push them instead down into my pants. those are some cold hands!



Thanks Josephus. I'm taking what you said as a compliment. I agree with you entirely. I started entering the derbies in October after visiting shirt.woot on a family member's recommendation and noticing the comment about "amateur designers with no previous design experience". I thought 'what the heck, let's give it a try'. I have no design experience and each week is a trial and error with what works and what doesn't work for graphic design and tshirt design in particular. I tend to still see things as an artist who works with canvas and I have to learn how to create the designs that work for a tshirt. I think I tend to overthink it!

I LOVE my "designers at work entry", but it failed entirely as a tshirt design. But, each week is a learning experience.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my design. It was a tough week for all 7 of my entries! But there's always next week.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I really like the design, I just think the voters don't vote for a design. My favorite of yours, probably ever, is the one where you suffocated your husband. I'm just guessing you just bought a big freezer with a lock? ;^)

seriously, it reminds me of William Hurt in Altered States. very cool look.

gargrazz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
halfbee wrote:
How about directing your criticism to this:



I like it. It's really well executed.

Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
yeeter wrote:In general? or something specific? and by all, do you mean ALL? bummer.



Eh, everybody in general with a ton of specific examples. This is one of the weirder forums I've ever seen, in a surreal, not-good 'what were they thinking when they said that' kind of way. I like generally like woot, though.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Josephus wrote:I really like the design, I just think the voters don't vote for a design.



Speaking as a new voter, yeah, I love the design as well. The novelty and artistry were great, but I didn't vote for it because it wouldn't wear it on a t-shirt. My boyfriend and I have an ongoing discussion about what works as a t-shirt and what doesn't. The Mona Lisa: doesn't. Fake hoodie: does, much to the chagrins of many.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
halfbee wrote:Sooooo.
I only have one account and I don't know anyone else on this site. I made this in Photoshop and I don't have anything that does Livetrace.

{Awkward silence here}

peace sign pin



but you do have something that does livetracing for you. You have Stanford.
Vectormagic