superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

yeeter wrote:Okay. I'm not sure if it is true or perceived, but I think after I added the sad eyes to my sig, my rate of votes have increased. In other words I thought I had leveled off, and now in the past 24 hours or so, I have moved up a couple of ranks.

Now, what have I learned from my failures and successes in the derby? CUTE ANIMALS do well. I did well in the pattern derby with my turtle, I did very well in the travel derby with my "are we there yet" hamsters, I did decent in the winter derby with my yeti constitutional (maybe if he were a real animal I would've done better), and finally big sad eyes on a lemur is doing better than I thought. So, I'm thinking the next derby should be CUTE ANIMALS!!!!

Cuuuuuuuute! Cute does sell.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I sure hope it does...

bfassburg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg

The rejection pipe sprung a leak.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bfassburg wrote:The rejection pipe sprung a leak.

Merp? What's that mean?

EDIT: Nevermind.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bfassburg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg
superspryte wrote:Merp? What's that mean?

I should be asking you what "Merp" means. I don't exactly speak in riddles, just possibly stating the obvious--there are more rejections, so they have started again.

Edit- I think there are more rejections. I might have missed the indigenous rejection earlier.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
bfassburg wrote:I should be asking you what "Merp" means. I don't exactly speak in riddles, just possibly stating the obvious--there are more rejections, so they have started again.

Edit- I think there are more rejections. I might have missed the indigenous rejection earlier.

seems to have stalled.

I don't quite understand the point of having a theme if you aren't going to referee it properly. half the shirts at least aren't on theme. seems like they just said wuv it this week.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
brizz wrote:seems to have stalled.

I don't quite understand the point of having a theme if you aren't going to referee it properly. half the shirts at least aren't on theme. seems like they just said wuv it this week.

I was just looking at the rejections so far, and I thought to myself, "Brizz isn't going to be happy about this..."

VOTE!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bfassburg wrote:I should be asking you what "Merp" means. I don't exactly speak in riddles, just possibly stating the obvious--there are more rejections, so they have started again.

*giggles* tee-hees!

Sorry, that's like, "Huh?" Just another sound effect. It's kind of common around where I live.

PS - And I realized what you meant just after I hit the post button.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

yeeter wrote:I was just looking at the rejections so far, and I thought to myself, "Brizz isn't going to be happy about this..."

Aww, I liked the indigenous inside one. It wasn't on theme but I hoped the artist could remove it before it got rejected. -_-

rogueangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogueangel
Re: Indigenous Inside

Greetings all,

Many thanks for all the comments on my design, it's very much appreciated.

Curses! As a treat for being cooped up the last 2 days working on this design, I was out all morning just puttering around town so unfortunately I wasn't around to shed some more light on what we've got here or to even pull it. I never figured on it being off topic, I added an indigenous spin on "the Visible Man" (Heart, Lungs, Liver and Stomach). Bummer. But hey, I got plenty more, and there's always next time! ;D

The dab of red in the lower right corner is my artist signature, I sign all my personal work as "Rogue Angel" or "Rogue Angel Design". I'm currently developing a physical chop to coincide with my signature.

Thanks again all, happy wooting, please keep an eye out for more of my submissions. Sincerely, Rogue Angel.

”One against the collective.” -Rogue Angel

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

...was that it?

brizz

yeeter wrote:I was just looking at the rejections so far, and I thought to myself, "Brizz isn't going to be happy about this..."

lmfao

i'm over this derby. Woot has obviously decided they don''t care, so why should I? As I suspected, they are running out of theme ideas. something is going to have to change with the derby format at some point. this week just reinforced that.

Of course, per usual, they rejected one of the best designs for not being on theme, but then kept the worst that are off-theme.

yeeter

superspryte wrote:...was that it?

If I say, "Yes" will you define "it" for me?

VOTE!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

yeeter wrote:If I say, "Yes" will you define "it" for me?

No more rejections? I thought this was going to be the big cut.

EDIT - Then again, what does it matter at this point? The fog is set. By not rejecting things they can keep everyone from resubmitting these later.

EDIT v2.0 - Very sneaky, woot. Good job. o_O

yeeter

superspryte wrote:No more rejections? I thought this was going to be the big cut.

EDIT - Then again, what does it matter at this point? The fog is set. By not rejecting things they can keep everyone from resubmitting these later.

EDIT v2.0 - Very sneaky, woot. Good job. o_O

Hmm, that could be it. OR like gatzby said they may just be really busy, so they are being lax on the rejections. OR when they told us to police ourselves, this is what they were preparing us for. OR aliens...

VOTE!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

yeeter wrote:Hmm, that could be it. OR like gatzby said they may just be really busy, so they are being lax on the rejections. OR when they told us to police ourselves, this is what they were preparing us for. OR aliens...

ALIENS!

Regardless of why, that's the effect it's going to have. They can reject any of these that come back because they weren't rejected here. Unintentional genius?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
brizz wrote:lmfao

i'm over this derby. Woot has obviously decided they don''t care, so why should I? As I suspected, they are running out of theme ideas. something is going to have to change with the derby format at some point. this week just reinforced that.

Of course, per usual, they rejected one of the best designs for not being on theme, but then kept the worst that are off-theme.

Seconded. Waiting for tomorrow noon CST. I'm through being upset, it's not worth it. Hopefully a top 10 finish can give me incentive to do better, but it seems as though I'm on an every-other-week schedule for good ideas lately. Like the kiwi, and paper airplanes, that was great! Then last week all duds. This week people were so nice and positive about the meeces. Maybe there will be a theme where I can pull out the fish next week?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
brizz wrote:lmfao

i'm over this derby.

Sweet! I don't suppose that means you are going to stop posting about it, does it? 'cause, if so, I'll have to find something else to read...

brizz wrote:Woot has obviously decided they don''t care, so why should I?

Frankly, I'm puzzled by why you do care. You seem mostly frustrated by the designs that people submit, and then you seem frustrated by the way that the voters vote for them, you get offended and frustrated by the way that people don't appreciate your keen insight, and finally you get frustrated by the way woot rejects them.

brizz wrote:As I suspected, they are running out of theme ideas. something is going to have to change with the derby format at some point. this week just reinforced that.

This seemed to be quite a good theme, to me. It was very wide open, and interpreted in many different ways by the entrants. I liked lots of the designs, and was really impressed with a couple of them. Mostly, they were awful, but that isn't really a surprise. Usually most of them are pretty awful.

brizz wrote:Of course, per usual, they rejected one of the best designs for not being on theme, but then kept the worst that are off-theme.

I have to agree with you about many of the designs that weren't rejected despite obviously being off-theme. Still, it is refreshing to see that they will occasionally reject designs that are clearly off-theme despite being really impressive designs. Judging by more than a few on-topic designs, it wasn't that difficult to make a clever design that also fit the theme. If it isn't on-topic, it ought to be rejected. No matter how good it is, no matter who made it.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Josephus wrote:Big huge response breaking down everything brizz said.

Now I'm jealous, all I got was "you infer a great deal."

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:Now I'm jealous, all I got was "you infer a great deal."

LOL!

You guys are killing me!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Josephus wrote:Frankly, I'm puzzled by why you do care. You seem mostly frustrated by the designs that people submit, and then you seem frustrated by the way that the voters vote for them, you get offended and frustrated by the way that people don't appreciate your keen insight, and finally you get frustrated by the way woot rejects them.

This describes me pretty well, too- though I don't think my insight is particularly keen ;)

For me, I stick around because I genuinely like Woot- I've been a member here for a long time, and I'm pleased as punch that they've branched into my favorite type of product, shirts. I also love seeing new talent develop in this derby. Each week, there are a couple of genuinely special shirts that I'd like to own.

That's why it frustrates me when more mundane stuff gets votes. I'd like to see Shirt.Woot develop into a site that sells truly high-quality shirts, things that are at the same level as Threadless and Design By Humans but aimed squarely at this audience. It's tough seeing things win (or even just finish highly) when I don't think they fit Woot's corporate mandate to sell only original work.

But I think I'll always be back, there's just too much potential here to ever walk away completely

brizz

Josephus wrote:Frankly, I'm puzzled by why you do care. You seem mostly frustrated by the designs that people submit, and then you seem frustrated by the way that the voters vote for them, you get offended and frustrated by the way that people don't appreciate your keen insight, and finally you get frustrated by the way woot rejects them.

I care, because i really like shirt.woot - as you can see i've purchased quite a few of the shirts. I am not the arbiter of good taste, but that does not mean I can not have an opinion. I am also not alone in my perception of the derbies...that is very clear. the only people who take issue with my posts are the group that thinks a fake hoodie tshirt is awesome. So it goes.

I'm not "offended" by anything. Not the shirts, not Digital donkeys personal attacks, not your not-so-subtle inults. Do I get frustrated by the voting up of bad shirts? Of course. It's only natural that I would want to see designs that are obviously of a high quality, clever, and would make a great shirt. I understand my view of what makes a great shirt isn't universal. I also understand that like anything, just because the majority do doesn't mean they are right. It means they are the majority, nothing more, nothing less. This nation has proven again and again in just about every public arena that the majority are incapable of making intelligent, reasonable, and proper judgements of talent. Music, film, politics, television....the lowest common denominator rules. The only people who don't like what i have to say are part of that. They already have Nickleback, reality television, Dane Cook, and LInkin Park. Shirt.woot started out as an escape from that, but sadly more and more it seems to be an extension of it. which makes me sad.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

It is really Wednesday night? I'm losing my sense of time... o_O

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
brizz wrote:I care, because i really like shirt.woot - as you can see i've purchased quite a few of the shirts. I am not the arbiter of good taste, but that does not mean I can not have an opinion. I am also not alone in my perception of the derbies...that is very clear. the only people who take issue with my posts are the group that thinks a fake hoodie tshirt is awesome. So it goes.

I'm not "offended" by anything. Not the shirts, not Digital donkeys personal attacks, not your not-so-subtle inults. Do I get frustrated by the voting up of bad shirts? Of course. It's only natural that I would want to see designs that are obviously of a high quality, clever, and would make a great shirt. I understand my view of what makes a great shirt isn't universal. I also understand that like anything, just because the majority do doesn't mean they are right. It means they are the majority, nothing more, nothing less. This nation has proven again and again in just about every public arena that the majority are incapable of making intelligent, reasonable, and proper judgements of talent. Music, film, politics, television....the lowest common denominator rules. The only people who don't like what i have to say are part of that. They already have Nickleback, reality television, Dane Cook, and LInkin Park. Shirt.woot started out as an escape from that, but sadly more and more it seems to be an extension of it. which makes me sad.

you may not be able to tell, but when I started writing that response, I was all set to be flip and condescending, but as I wrote it, I was startled (and somewhat bemused) to recognize that I agree with most of what you say in most of your posts. As it evidently came across as I started it, I apologize, I was truly trying to be substantive in what I tried to express.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
brizz wrote:I care, because i really like shirt.woot - as you can see i've purchased quite a few of the shirts. I am not the arbiter of good taste, but that does not mean I can not have an opinion. I am also not alone in my perception of the derbies...that is very clear. the only people who take issue with my posts are the group that thinks a fake hoodie tshirt is awesome. So it goes.

hasn't this all been said before... over n over... we know America iis filled with people, who do what other people do, us non conformists cant do what they do or we will be zombies and be terrible just like everone else yadda yadda yadda... i agree and i dont agree its not so black n white. its not your one of us, or one of them.
thats how you make it sound, and its not getting to that point. relax

Please check it out

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
SkekTek wrote:I sure hope it does...

-pictures of leaky boobies-

It's weird, I liked this entry alright until I saw it superimposed on the shirts! Now I just think leaky boobies and it's kind of creepy. o.o

brizz

Bryan818 wrote:hasn't this all been said before... over n over... we know America iis filled with people, who do what other people do, us non conformists cant do what they do or we will be zombies and be terrible just like everone else yadda yadda yadda... i agree and i dont agree its not so black n white. its not your one of us, or one of them.
thats how you make it sound, and its not getting to that point. relax

i'm not going to say this again bryan: stop telling me to relax, chill, etc.

I don't care if it's been said before, it obviously still needs saying.

MIKE487

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MIKE487
brizz wrote:i'm not going to say this again bryan: stop telling me to relax, chill, etc.

sorry.. i know people wubble being told to relax... my burst

yup im posting as my dad

MIKE487

the mac is acting up

brizz

Josephus wrote:you may not be able to tell, but when I started writing that response, I was all set to be flip and condescending, but as I wrote it, I was startled (and somewhat bemused) to recognize that I agree with most of what you say in most of your posts. As it evidently came across as I started it, I apologize, I was truly trying to be substantive in what I tried to express.

I did indeed see the change of tone, and appreciated it. After the first line, it seemed like it was just going to be another blathering string of insults...kudos for not going there. You'll notice that i frequently get them as responses, but rarely if ever respond in kind. It is a hallmark of lazy thinking and an inability to express any rational rebuttal. Which is why they don't bother me in the least - they say far more about the poster than they do me.

I know I sometimes come off harsh, but sometimes harsh is necessary. I also recognize that it is a largely Sisyphean endeavor, but what would the world be like if people gave up at the first hint of resistance?

MIKE487

brizz wrote:I did indeed see the change of tone, and appreciated it. After the first line, it seemed like it was just going to be another blathering string of insults...kudos for not going there. You'll notice that i frequently get them as responses, but rarely if ever respond in kind. It is a hallmark of lazy thinking and an inability to express any rational rebuttal. Which is why they don't bother me in the least - they say far more about the poster than they do me.

I know I sometimes come off harsh, but sometimes harsh is necessary. I also recognize that it is a largely Sisyphean endeavor, but what would the world be like if people gave up at the first hint of resistance?

my saying its been said before was not ment in a hostel way... btw

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
brizz wrote:i'm not going to say this again bryan: stop telling me to relax, chill, etc.

Dude... Chillax

*grin*

aegis72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aegis72

Hey all! Wanted to mention that I am being printed tonight...

very small sneak of the whole puzzle.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
aegis72 wrote:Hey all! Wanted to mention that I am being printed tonight...

An Aegis printing might make the blow of the crappy derby winners softer.

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus

AdderXYU I am sorry to see your Home is where the heart is' design rejected, it had my vote. It has been your best so far.

brizz

MIKE487 wrote:my saying its been said before was not ment in a hostel way... btw

i assumed you meant it in a motel way.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ruesifus wrote:AdderXYU I am sorry to see your Home is where the heart is' design rejected, it had my vote. It has been your best so far.

Thank you. I was pretty proud of it as well. And I do like the concept of your Colonel Sanders shirt, FWIW... I only called it out earlier because I -knew- it'd get axed for the thumb.

Oh Well. It's nice to know that unfounded nitpicking about colours is more worthy of rejection than lacking originality these days.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
ruesifus wrote:AdderXYU I am sorry to see your Home is where the heart is' design rejected, it had my vote. It has been your best so far.

Same here. It was certainly the best of the exposed organ designs IMO and had the cuteness factor. I was bummed to see it of all the entries in the reject-o-pile.

Edit: Hey, that was my 100th post. I feel like a big kid now.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
aegis72 wrote:Hey all! Wanted to mention that I am being printed tonight...

sweet! way to go and congrats. can't Wait to see the whole thing. and yea, I agree with adder's assessment that at least twO of the next three after yours could be less than what peOple are used to seeing when they go to the shirT.woot site, but of course that's just my personal opinion of the fogged shirts. in order to come anywhere close to a sellout (unless all the vOters put the money where their votes are hahaha) there will have to be a pretty good reason For people to stick around and keep staring at that same shirt. i'll be really surprised iF that happens at all. but who knows, this place has changed.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

A late night push to keep me in the top 20 (happy hour and muppet are putting up a fierce battle, and bad hair day is making a move):

You all know someone who has a black hole for a heart. Maybe you wuv them, maybe you wubble them, but either way, they deserve this shirt.

Thank you and goodnight!