klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Take the Leap on Feb. 29

cookofthesea wrote:Hm, never knew that! this was a cute little history lesson!

Thanks! I didn't know about the connection either until I starting looking into Leap Year Myths, Folklore, etc. That's how I stumbled upon the marriage connection to Leap Day.

I wonder if that's where the saying Lovers Leap comes from? (Although, this is such a common phrase, I doubt it would be linked to a one in every four years event.)

fiyeromini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiyeromini
KENPARS0NS wrote:Because I'm an dumb-ass who forgot to re-save his JPEG before posting... The first row on the final EPS file that was uploaded reads:

1582 - 1584 - 1588 - 1592 - 1596

so will the final shirt that we recieve have the mistake or will it be corrected?

klswoot

Re: These Leapsters Don't Care about the Leap Year.

Thanks for getting this one to its 40th vote.

(Surprised that my frogs and frisbee dog are beating the victorian-esque design .... but, I thought I'd try something new with that one.

fiyeromini

Re: Give February A Break!

i like this. and i feel that the leap day should be added on at the end of the year.. because that is when the extra.25 percent of a day occurs... kind of. whatever.. i just like this and agree with the placement of the day.

fiyeromini

mikemath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikemath
Re: Do the Math

I would love to have this shirt if the math mistakes were corrected - please resubmit this shirt so all the math lovers can buy one!

sboctor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sboctor
Patchitect wrote:i find it to be a rather elegant abstract composition that continues a theme by the artist that has been going on for several months, and adds a little organic cheer to an otherwise dismal month that is inexplicably extended every time we have to elect a president, and could really do without an extra day of over indulgent and overbearing pandering that makes the begging for votes in here look like an afternoon tea party on Long island

Obviously many people like kls design and people are voting for it. I just don't. I think negative critique can be useful too. Even kls wrote previously that: "...I can certainly understand your desire to request "my best work each week" and to 'show something new'. As a paid employee, I would feel compensated for my efforts..."
In my opinion this design is NOT "the best work", but there are more than 160 people out there thinking otherwise.
In general I am glad that so many artists post their designs and make the derbies possible. So thank you patchitect, kls and to all others for constantly submitting designs and enduring critique!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
micnormal wrote:Nah 2019 is just going to be a bad year

Not if the world has ended.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Orcrist42 wrote:Wow, cool. this is one of the few I would actually wear. Nice work.

Thanks Orc! I was hoping for a top 10 finish, but there are some good entries this week , so I'm finding it hard to gain ground with my late entry

I love this design though- simple, yet conveys the entire concept (math/physics majors will probably quibble on the 365.24 thing though).

bfassburg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfassburg
Re: Mayan 29/02/2008

I keep getting flashbacks from the 6th grade and watching "The Second Voyage of the Mimi" every time I look at this shirt.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
klswoot wrote:(Surprised that my frogs and frisbee dog are beating the victorian-esque design .... but, I thought I'd try something new with that one.

I voted as much as I can for your Victorian design. =(

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

klswoot

sboctor wrote:Obviously many people like kls design and people are voting for it. I just don't. I think negative critique can be useful too. Even kls wrote previously that: "...I can certainly understand your desire to request "my best work each week" and to 'show something new'. As a paid employee, I would feel compensated for my efforts..."
In my opinion this design is NOT "the best work", but there are more than 160 people out there thinking otherwise.
In general I am glad that so many artists post their designs and make the derbies possible. So thank you patchitect, kls and to all others for constantly submitting designs and enduring critique!

Thank you Sbdoctor. This is so much more helpful than referring to one's design as 'ugly'. The way in which a critique is phrased makes all the difference in the world ... at least for me. Thank you.

I also appreciate you reading the other posts. That's why I didn't address your concern directly. I figured I'd already commented on it.

klswoot

eyeslikesugar wrote:I voted as much as I can for your Victorian design. =(

Thanks ELS - I know you have and I appreciate it more than you know!

It's just funny that the frisbee dog is doing better and the effort is in no way proportional between the two designs. The victorian one took so much longer to draw and compose. Again, this is why it is hard for me to justify offering a brand new style each week to the derby, see it bomb, and then see an old fan favorite do well in the votes, but then get the *sigh, not again* from the derby regulars.

I've still got a lot to learn.

I will say however that my 'experiments' with design are not wasted...I still submit several new ideas as dailies and hopefully some of the designs will end up somewhere other than my hard drive. I also have a couple doing well on DBH, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
fiyeromini wrote:so will the final shirt that we recieve have the mistake or will it be corrected?

you would receive the correct dates noted in the forum... I just posted the wrong JPEG detail images...

klswoot

mikemath wrote:I would love to have this shirt if the math mistakes were corrected - please resubmit this shirt so all the math lovers can buy one!

edit: Nevermind....found the references to the math mistakes. (Multiplication sign and rounding error....got it!)

klswoot

Re: Come on Earth! Pick up the Pace!

cookofthesea wrote:dude, this is awesome, I love a good race!

Thanks Cook! This one was a lot of fun to create. Didn't have room for this one in my signature. It was just meant to be silly. I'm actually happy that it got a few votes. I was hoping that more people could appreciate the leap year reference to the earth's rotation of the sun....but in a design that was more wearer-friendly.

Thanks for noticing it!

huyen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huyen
Re: Ziggy says it's a Leap Year

Oh no, not papyrus! Sorry, but this is my most despised font.. after comic sans that is

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
janoc7 wrote:Nice, but did you really have to choose brown?

I know... Most wooters are not a fan of the brown... I, for one, don't really have a problem with it... And it seemed earthy and appropriate for leap year for some reason (no idea why)...

huyen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huyen
Re: Leap Year Birthday Panda

aw nuts!! I really wanted this one too

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
klswoot wrote:Thanks ELS - I know you have and I appreciate it more than you know!

It's just funny that the frisbee dog is doing better and the effort is in no way proportional between the two designs. The victorian one took so much longer to draw and compose.

It might have had something to do with the fact that you submitted it on Sunday. Voting any SECOND later than Friday at noon, loses votes. It's the sad, woot truth. =( My boyfriend submitted Friday at noon, and then pulled his design to change it around a bit due to complaints. (? constructive criticism?) It took him two days to get up to the vote number that he had before he pulled it, and it has only been up a few hours before the resub. =/

I love the Victorian design, and someone (Brizz?) mentioned Steampunk?

Oh pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease do a steampunk design!! If you do, I'll be campaigning for votes left and right.. I'd love a steampunk design! I'd hope Lemony Snicket-ish.. I love that series; so much, I even have a tattoo. =3

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

godman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godman

I'm not sure if I like the theme so much... I wubble time constraints on shirts, unless of course you're a NY Giants fan like me and would wear a SB 42 shirt 4ever.

klswoot

eyeslikesugar wrote:It might have had something to do with the fact that you submitted it on Sunday. Voting any SECOND later than Friday at noon, loses votes. It's the sad, woot truth. =( My boyfriend submitted Friday at noon, and then pulled his design to change it around a bit due to complaints. (? constructive criticism?) It took him two days to get up to the vote number that he had before he pulled it, and it has only been up a few hours before the resub. =/

I love the Victorian design, and someone (Brizz?) mentioned Steampunk?

Oh pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease do a steampunk design!! If you do, I'll be campaigning for votes left and right.. I'd love a steampunk design! I'd hope Lemony Snicket-ish.. I love that series; so much, I even have a tattoo. =3

You'll have to PM me details about this sort of thing. Don't have a clue what Steampunk means.....guess I need to visit Wikipedia again. I'll check out your link too. Sounds intriguing! And, I always love a challenge.

Sporge27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sporge27
Re: HAPPY 2000TH BIRTHDAY (resub)

Isn't the first leap year 4 ad?

It is every 4 years not 8...

2005vette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
Re: Look Before You LEAP YEAR

i like it, GMV

2005vette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
Re: Leap Day Serpent

at first the 0229 looed like OZZY.. I like it eitherway.

zornzorn33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zornzorn33
huyen wrote:Oh no, not papyrus! Sorry, but this is my most despised font.. after comic sans that is

Actually it's Herculanum

What font would you have used?

Best regards
Chris

chemprincess5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemprincess5
Re: Februarium- The Bissextile Element

YAY!!! Finally, a chemistry shirt Good luck!

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: Take the Leap on Feb. 29

Two proposals for that guy? But he's bald!

Beautiful work! Love the roses

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: Didn't think of that, eh?

This is my first shirt, so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your votes!

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose
Re: Optical Illusion of Leap Year

Very clever...

amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amach06
Re: Druid Leap Year (A Minor Calendar Adjustment)

Great shirt.

Well there is always next year....

zornzorn33

Re: Only You Can Prevent Leap Year Birthday

OK let's settle this. On average, a birth occurs 267 days after ovulation (that would be 6/11/2011). The ovum must be fertilized within a day and sperm remain "potent" for about 2 days. You would need to abstain from 6/9/11 to 6/12/11. This does not mean a birth cannot be premature or late. So you need to decide what to do with those who are born on 2/29/12 anyway.

After presenting the age paradox for people born on 2/29, my 6 year old son insists that no one can possibly be born on 2/29.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

brizz wrote:well i disagree completely on it's wearability, or that anyone will get it without explanation. this isn't a dig on tgentry at all...you'll note in my sig i own three of his shirts! This one is a miss though imho....drab and guaranteed to generate too many huh? inquiries from people who see it.

Thanks to all the nice comments. Brizz I understand what you're saying completely and wouldn't argue a lot of those points. And I don't take it as a dig either. I think this was such a tough theme to design for. There were some easy ways to get leap year across that a lot of people would do, so I tried to come up with a shirt that has a concept behind it, knowing full well if you didn't know it was leap year you wouldn't really know what it meant. The plus side to that is that you could wear it simply as a Stonehenge shirt since the addition is so small some people might not catch it anyways. There's no words about leap year, so it isn't tied down to that. I do think it is very much on theme though.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

archikins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archikins
Sporge27 wrote:Isn't the first leap year 4 ad?

It is every 4 years not 8...

Some history on leap years that I gathered...

Well actually 45BC was the first leap year and had 466 days to make up for all the previous centuries. This was by Julius Caesar's decree who in turn was adviced by Sosegenes. This was called the Julian calendar and continued till 1582 when the Gregorian calendar was adopted by the Pope Gregory XIII at the time to make the time correction more accurate to sync up easter...

... the info on the tshirt looks incorrect...

mendaliv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mendaliv
Re: For your next trip to China

Why would you wear this to China when the character for the day of the week isn't in Simplified Chinese?

I'd just have gone with 2月29日 and saved the confusion, plus gotten the Japanese speakers in on it too.

zornzorn33

Re: Chinese Leap Year

Cool what DO it say?

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
bfassburg wrote:I keep getting flashbacks from the 6th grade and watching "The Second Voyage of the Mimi" every time I look at this shirt.

oooooo... k.... not sure the connection, but hey - whatever gets you trippy and gets a vote..

What is the connection, btw?

zornzorn33

Re: Ziggy says it's a Leap Year

In case you don't remember the Quantum Leap TV show

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
sboctor wrote:Obviously many people like kls design and people are voting for it. I just don't. I think negative critique can be useful too. Even kls wrote previously that: "...I can certainly understand your desire to request "my best work each week" and to 'show something new'. As a paid employee, I would feel compensated for my efforts..."

Thank you for clarifying that. It would be nice if woot could post some guidelines, or a lint to guidelines for offering "criticism" to an artist so folks like you can offer your opinions without it being construed in a negative manner. Usually, its best to keep to concrete terms, rather then subjective ones like "ugly" or "bad", and offering suggestions as to how it might be improved to your tastes. For instance, if you dont like the text, would a different font make it more appealing? And as i understand alot of folks dont always know WHY they dont like something, even just saying that in a personal respect "its just not working for me" rather then "thats so butt ugly my pet monkey wouldnt use it as a diaper" is far less emotionally charged.

Thanks for coming and commenting on the derbies.. we need more constructive input from non-designers to improve the process as a whole.