FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
broomcorn wrote:the background images behind the shirt might be the most UnTasteful thing I have ever seen on woot. should no have done that!

I'm no fan of the background images either, but I have seen many more untasteful things on woot than this. I would say they are in the top 5% of most tasteful things I have seen on woot.

Still single, can't imagine why.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
redghia69 wrote:Wow, that’s severe. The design was enjoying votes, but not in any danger of going to print. If you’re not sure if it’s on-theme, maybe you could err in favor of the artist that spent the time to create it. Or ask the artist for a better explanation? If a giraffe that leaps every four years is on-theme, how is a four-year zodiac, where every fourth year is represented by an animal that leaps, not? I’m just saying.... The zodiac design gave the wearer the opportunity to engage in conversation about the shirt, rather than just spelling it out – and that’s a shirt I’d much rather wear. Joel, I know you go through this, having people upset by rejections every week, but please consider that if the description of the derby theme has room for interpretation, rejecting entries based on an unapparent or strict interpretation really hurts the competition. I haven’t entered a shirt since my road-kill design was rejected for being off-topic in the travel derby. And once again, this is hugely discouraging. As I said then, at least for me, it’s about being given the opportunity, and occasionally the benefit of the doubt.

This sux hard. How on earth can this rejection be rationalized? Why is it that every time someone with real talent appears and designs great shirts gets rejected and run off? I just don't understand it at all. It's been up since friday, and gets rejected tuesday night? Totally unfair and impossible to rationalize.

I hope you don't get too discouraged. Joel has an odd way of managing these things....obvious things of dubious quality get passes all the time, but great quality designs don't. The Trompe derby was so loosely refereed it was ridiculous, and now people are getting rejected left and right for doing precisely what he said was okay in the description.

I really hope lemmings make a push.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
eyeslikesugar wrote:<snip>
Don't get offended, please Yeeter,
<snip>

No prob.

And please understand I didn't mean to belittle anyone. (Damn kids <wink>)

VOTE!

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Re: Yeah? These go to 29!

Frankly, I'm surprised no women have come in here to express concerns over "knob placement."

VOTE!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
yeeter wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised no women have come in here to express concerns over "knob placement."

Yeah, well, us real women just deal with knob placement instead of stressing over it.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
yeeter wrote:ELS, I'm 37. The movie came out when I was in my teens, in other words the ideal time for that movie to make a big impression on me.

Hey Yeeter, I'm 37 too! I love this design and I loved that movie. It is legendary amongst my friends. I asked my 22 year old neice if she had see it and she had never heard of it.
-Andy

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
cs_gump wrote:There's a grammatical error in the text... not that I'm critical or anything.

More than one if you want to get right down to it, depending on the style. While I can appreciate the value of well thought out verse, one really should check the style guide before submitting what is basically a text-only shirt. Not that I'm the grammar police or Keystone Kops of punctuation. Just saying.

Aberrantic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
NotAGirl wrote:should have just live traced it and jammed a crack in it. looks a lot better.
plus it only took me about 5 minutes to do.... 3 of which were spent looking for the image online. nice job.

Because live traces come out terribly on woot shirts. Something about the printing process and how detailed live tracing makes it, but it just doesn't work. Oh, and because if you live trace you've done just about no work yourself. Like you said, it took you five minutes. Now, there's nothing wrong with quickly coming up with something, but he wanted to spend more time on it, making it look better, and I'm really not going to insult him for going the extra mile.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Andy47240 wrote:Hey Yeeter, I'm 37 too! I love this design and I loved that movie. It is legendary amongst my friends. I asked my 22 year old neice if she had see it and she had never heard of it.
-Andy

"can you fell the sustain..?" heh

spiderdyne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiderdyne
Aberrantic wrote:Because live traces come out terribly on woot shirts. Something about the printing process and how detailed live tracing makes it, but it just doesn't work. Oh, and because if you live trace you've done just about no work yourself. Like you said, it took you five minutes. Now, there's nothing wrong with quickly coming up with something, but he wanted to spend more time on it, making it look better, and I'm really not going to insult him for going the extra mile.

I agree, the having the technology can help you along the way but putting your touch on it makes it special, I like the entry the way it is.

Babbaganusch??!Dolphins

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Yeah? These go to 29!

I'm sad. I've never seen the movie, but the "ours goes to 11" scene is in the first Scene-It game, which I've played a lot...so, I still know all about it & my husband and I make "ours goes to 11" jokes all the time. l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Leap Year Aliteration - Polo Style

I see no alliteration, although it is mentioned in the title.

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
redghia69 wrote:That was funny -- hadn't seen it.

The thrill of competition.... Yeah, it's hard not to keep checking the votes and posts -- rather addicting. Regarding "technique" above, it was your hamster that inspired me to even try to digitize this entry. I remember studying how you worked the colors without outlining them all -- as I attempted here with the dark vs. light brown. I look forward to trying out other techniques in future weeks.

One more detail for fun:

So... i'll be expecting a royalty check when you place this week?

micnormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micnormal
Re: Giraffe Leap Years Calendar

Thanks klswoot, superspryte and haxrox.

Amoxaphobic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amoxaphobic
Re: Fake ID, anyone?

That is just funny! Voted

Amoxaphobic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amoxaphobic
jonnyvdawg wrote:I believe it is a reference to the TV show Quantum Leap - where the main character always hopes that "his next leap will be the leap home."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap_%28TV_series%29

Yeah, but instead of one day it's 4 years.
Dude, that would suck so much! Unless you leap into someone that's really cool.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
micnormal wrote:Thanks klswoot, superspryte and haxrox.

My pleasure! Hoping you still get the cuteness vote this week. One artsy, one nerdy, one cute and one text....seems like a top 4 that can appeal to a wide audience.

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
florarin wrote:HILARIOUS! THANKS FOR THE HUMOR

Thanks, Mom.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

micnormal wrote:Thanks klswoot, superspryte and haxrox.

No problem. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
klswoot wrote:My pleasure! Hoping you still get the cuteness vote this week. One artsy, one nerdy, one cute and one text....seems like a top 4 that can appeal to a wide audience.

Makes mine the nerd eh?

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Iambusyeating wrote:Makes mine the nerd eh?

Yes. But, that's not a bad thing. If you've followed the derby, you'll know that the nerdy ones do quite well and it's a compliment if yours is selected as the nerdy fogged one. So, Kudos to you! It's certainly not a bad position to be in, right?

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: leap year

i really like this; it's just simple and cool and i like frogs

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: 29 Circles.....Bring the grunge!

watching turtles fight! This has NOTHING to do with Leap Year.

acpersons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acpersons

How does this pertain to the theme? It looks a lot like this design.
http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/528

acpersons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acpersons

is that your thing? circles? wow.

beentheredonethat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beentheredonethat
Re: Pope Gregory's Flow Chart

Now this I like. A shirt that is so well done, and so obscure, that no one has to know that you bought it off of a tacky themed contest like leap year on woot. Of course, my condolences to the designer, because this cool shirt will never sell here. The shirts that make it on this site are, well, tacky at best. Not all of them (as I have liked 4 of them enough to buy) but most of them. Just look at the fog. Great job to the designer.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
2thFairy wrote:Actually, I think appreciation for Spinal Tap does relate to age.

I'd say more experience than age. It's incredibly timeless if you know ANYTHING about music, and is actually all the funnier now that hair metal is out of vogue.

spiderdyne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiderdyne

I think your in trouble with this design, prior rejections have tought us that having 28 or 29 objects doesn't convey the theme properly. The design is ok but you need to add something to tie it into the theme better.

Babbaganusch??!Dolphins

Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: Druid Leap Year (A Minor Calendar Adjustment)

My 65 year old mom is a HUGE Spinal Tap fan and will love this bad boy in such a major way!!!

It's an eleven.

btw, why El Buscador didn't make this kind of momentum, I'll never know..sigh.

Aberrantic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic

Yeah, as others mentioned, chances are good this will be quickly rejected as it "is not related to calendar event"

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Last clean shirt

Doesn't this mean that you spend $10 on a shirt that you will almost never wear ?

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus

[quote postid="1980495" user="rogueangel"]Greetings Brizz,

I suppose that all these people that are turned off by signatures must be the same crowd that refuses to purchase a Van Gogh print because of that annoying "Vincent" on the lower right hand corner. (Wha?! Now he's comparing himself to Van Gogh, how truly pretentious!) I may not be as know as Van Gogh,

I got the chance to push myself beyond my limits and produce a design that otherwise may not have existed. Keep an eye out brizz, because what you view as pretentious is really my ambition to make a mark in this world (yes, like Jean-Michel Basquiat, Leonardo da Vinci, and Andy Warhol did).

I know this is going to sound rude-- maybe it is-- but just to let you know, as a buyer and one who appreciates art and tee's, I'm turned off, but more by your comments. You did just compare yourself to van Gogh. "not as well known as" ? And your sig at the bottom of your posts sounds dramatic and pretentious to me as well, so does the blood and sweat comment. It's a turn off on several levels.

lauralm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauralm
Re: February Vacuum

i think this is very elegant. the composition is really nice.

lauralm

Re: February Vacuum

i think this is very elegant. the composition is really nice. i like how the design is laid out on the shirt, and the colors are cool. definately a cool shirt.

jmd161616

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmd161616
Re: The Last Leap Year

I am seriously amused...but should I be? Just can't help chuckling.

marymaryk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marymaryk
Re: 365.25x4=?

Okay this? This is awesome. It had me laughing out loud!

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
spiderdyne wrote:wow... captain negative much??

"Captain negative much" is an awesome phrase/superhero name. Thanks for the support, spiderdyne. And thanks for all the great feedback and the fogging, everyone. I'm at the meager beginnings of artism, so if you dislike the design and want to comment, could you also say what exactly about the image irks you? Or if you just want to express general disgust, go for extreme hyperbole, baroque detail, or absurdism. (ex: "If your design were a flavor, it would be fish-sweat")

lauralm

Re: Year of the leap rat

the subtlety of this is cool!

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
Re: Do the Math

You have the best screen name, ever. And very nice work on the design - my wife is a math teacher and we often have discussions about exactly the kind of subject matter in your design. I've lived on earth for nearly half my life, and never once did the public education system take me through your informative diagram regarding earth's orbit. That should be a mandatory science or math class exercise; glad to see it will be featured on torsos soon.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
spiderdyne wrote:Speaking of tablets, does anyone know a good online resource for tablet tutorials??

Hey, meant to answer this before. I don’t know ’bout tutorials, but a while back Woot sold a shirt by Ray Frenden, an illustrator, and linked to his site. On the site, he’s posted a couple videos of himself working – actually, a screen shot and his own narration. I’ve known technically what a tablet does – i.e. pressure, position, etc. – but it wasn’t until I saw someone (Ray) using one that it clicked for me how it could work in practice.

Make sure you’ve voted for the lemmings, and then have a look at:
His home page (lots of images, long download): http://frenden.com/
The video I mentioned: http://frenden.com/crustacean-creation-video/
FYI, he also has a YouTube page with other videos. You can find a link to that on his site too.

Good luck!